Let's Talk Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Let's Talk Mariners
Sun May 05, 2013 9:35 am
  • There is good ole Saunders getting shelled today. He has not even obtained one out in the second inning and has given up two runs and at least five hits by my count.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 am
  • Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 10:43 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.

Id rather have beaven...

Maybe 5-8 more starts for saunders before walker or hultzen is up?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.

Id rather have beaven...

I would give him five max. His stat line is horrible. I know that they will likely wait until June or July for the call-up to save the free agency years though. A change has to be made though. Our 3, 4, 5 pitchers leave a lot to be desired. Mauer is not horrible, so they could ride with him. At least he does not fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category.

I would like to see either Hultzen or Paxton. We have to get a left in the starting rotation somewhere.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.

Id rather have beaven...

I would give him five max. His stat line is horrible. I know that they will likely wait until June or July for the call-up to save the free agency years though. A change has to be made though. Our 3, 4, 5 pitchers leave a lot to be desired. Mauer is not horrible, so they could ride with him. At least he does not fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category.

I would like to see either Hultzen or Paxton. We have to get a left in the starting rotation somewhere.

I would rather Hultzen gets the call. I've never been one to buy into the lefty vs. righty crap. Felix is a righty and he can retire any batter in MLB through his mastery of a half dozen pitches, and ability to throw a few others as well. The need for lefties in the lineup is overstated, at least for starting pitchers. What I like about Hultzen is his ability to throw decent heat, along with an array of strikeout pitches such as his changeup, 2 seamer, and slider. I would like to see he and Walker called up this season as after Felix and Iwakuma, our starting pitching rotation makes me pine for the likes of Jason Vargas.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:I would rather Hultzen gets the call. I've never been one to buy into the lefty vs. righty crap. Felix is a righty and he can retire any batter in MLB through his mastery of a half dozen pitches, and ability to throw a few others as well. The need for lefties in the lineup is overstated, at least for starting pitchers. What I like about Hultzen is his ability to throw decent heat, along with an array of strikeout pitches such as his changeup, 2 seamer, and slider. I would like to see he and Walker called up this season as after Felix and Iwakuma, our starting pitching rotation makes me pine for the likes of Jason Vargas.

What?! You say the lefty thing is overrated and then use one of the best pitchers in the game to demonstrate why it is not necessary like somehow Hernandez, Verlander, and the like grow on trees.

Pining for Vargus? I will not miss that guy. He would eat up innings, but was largely helped by Safeco if I remember correctly. He has had two good starts in a row for LAA, but was getting hammered before running into the buzz saw offense of Seattle, and the struggling Orioles.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 1:01 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:I would rather Hultzen gets the call. I've never been one to buy into the lefty vs. righty crap. Felix is a righty and he can retire any batter in MLB through his mastery of a half dozen pitches, and ability to throw a few others as well. The need for lefties in the lineup is overstated, at least for starting pitchers. What I like about Hultzen is his ability to throw decent heat, along with an array of strikeout pitches such as his changeup, 2 seamer, and slider. I would like to see he and Walker called up this season as after Felix and Iwakuma, our starting pitching rotation makes me pine for the likes of Jason Vargas.

What?! You say the lefty thing is overrated and then use one of the best pitchers in the game to demonstrate why it is not necessary like somehow Hernandez, Verlander, and the like grow on trees.

Pining for Vargus? I will not miss that guy. He would eat up innings, but was largely helped by Safeco if I remember correctly. He has had two good starts in a row for LAA, but was getting hammered before running into the buzz saw offense of Seattle, and the struggling Orioles.

Felix isn't the only dominant RHP in the game. Success as a starter seems to have more to do with how many pitches you can throw well, knowing when to throw them, rather than which hand those pitches are coming from. Lefty vs. righty may become an issue when your relievers start hitting the mound, and they only have one or two pitches at their disposal. Take Carter Capps for example. He's probably our best middle reliever, but he only throws two pitches, so they have to take him out versus left handed bats.

For starting pitchers, it really shouldn't matter whether they are left or right handed. Eventually every starter works through the rotation, and most starters will sit in a game until at least the 5th inning, meaning the quality of their pitches matters more than which hand is hurling those pitches.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:I would rather Hultzen gets the call. I've never been one to buy into the lefty vs. righty crap. Felix is a righty and he can retire any batter in MLB through his mastery of a half dozen pitches, and ability to throw a few others as well. The need for lefties in the lineup is overstated, at least for starting pitchers. What I like about Hultzen is his ability to throw decent heat, along with an array of strikeout pitches such as his changeup, 2 seamer, and slider. I would like to see he and Walker called up this season as after Felix and Iwakuma, our starting pitching rotation makes me pine for the likes of Jason Vargas.

Felix isn't the only dominant RHP in the game. Success as a starter seems to have more to do with how many pitches you can throw well, knowing when to throw them, rather than which hand those pitches are coming from. Lefty vs. righty may become an issue when your relievers start hitting the mound, and they only have one or two pitches at their disposal. Take Carter Capps for example. He's probably our best middle reliever, but he only throws two pitches, so they have to take him out versus left handed bats.

For starting pitchers, it really shouldn't matter whether they are left or right handed. Eventually every starter works through the rotation, and most starters will sit in a game until at least the 5th inning, meaning the quality of their pitches matters more than which hand is hurling those pitches.

I think the issue with your argument is that most starting pitchers are not anywhere near the talent level of Felix, Verlander, and any other supremely talented player. For those SPs who are in the middle, handedness vs batters does become a factor. I won't get into quoting numbers, but handedness isn't a myth, and it does apply to starters as well. If a pitcher is good enough, he can certainly transcend that (as in your example of Felix), but most pitchers are still going to have handedness splits in their stats.

That's not to say that you should run out an inferior pitcher based solely on his handedness, but if you have two equally appealing options, and one of them fills a need in your rotation (so that you can work your order around to get him in there vs lineups which feature a ton of lefties, for instance), why not lean towards that one?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Angels are so bad it's beginning to depress me, another loss today, I really think we are going under .500 this year
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am
  • 3 hits on Sunday
    5 hits on Tuesday

Will the M's turn it around today or are we headed toward another offensive slump?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 am
  • The Outfield wrote:3 hits on Sunday
    5 hits on Tuesday

Will the M's turn it around today or are we headed toward another offensive slump?

I think you meant "is there a chance we'll get on a hotstreak?" 5 and 3 hit games are basically our team's average, not a slump.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    I think you meant "is there a chance we'll get on a hotstreak?" 5 and 3 hit games are basically our team's average, not a slump.

Yes I find my expectations so diminished that when I look at the stat sheet and see 5 hits I think "Hmm, not bad!". :thirishdrinkers:

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:3 hits on Sunday
    5 hits on Tuesday

We were on a hot streak prior to the last two games. Hitting about 9-10 hits per game on average for more than a week.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am
  • The Outfield wrote:3 hits on Sunday
    5 hits on Tuesday

3 is all we need when the King is pitching...

(no but seriously, we need to hit better)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 pm
  • Seems to slowly but surely getting a bit better though it sure would be nice if they'd give Felix some runs on the days he starts. Is a .500 season possible?
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 am
  • I am about as positive a fan as there is and I am just about done with Saunders. Bring back Jamie Moyer !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:I am about as positive a fan as there is and I am just about done with Saunders. Bring back Jamie Moyer !

:13: :D
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Seems to slowly but surely getting a bit better though it sure would be nice if they'd give Felix some runs on the days he starts. Is a .500 season possible?

if we move on from Saunders and Harang... yes.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 am

Sat May 11, 2013 10:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Seems to slowly but surely getting a bit better though it sure would be nice if they'd give Felix some runs on the days he starts. Is a .500 season possible?

if we move on from Saunders and Harang... yes.

Yeah, I don't get what the insistence is on running Saunders out there anymore. Beavan was better, as long as you understood that all Beavan was ever going to be was an OK 5th pitcher. I know we don't have the arms to replace Saunders and Harang right away, but at least drop one of them.

How long did we sign Iwakuma for? Two years? Wish it had been longer. It blows my mind that Wedge refused to let this guy start OR relieve early last year.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Apparently Saunders is a stud when he pitches at safeco. .090 era or something crazy like that? Maybe rotate Bevan for road games?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 pm
  • Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Justin Smoak has the 3rd highest batting average on the team. At .237.

Saunders leads the team in runs and SB. After coming off the DL.

Morse leads the team in HRs. Even after spending time on the DL. 2nd place on the list? Jason Bay.

Looking good! At least they are better than the Angels.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 9:07 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Morse leads the team in HRs. Even after spending time on the DL. 2nd place on the list? Jason Bay.

Where do you get 3rd?
    Chavez: .288
    Saunders: .286
    Seager: .283
    Shoppach: .264
    Morales: .262
    Gutierrez: .259
    Bay: .253
    Smoak: .237

8th.

If you're talking about players with a comparable # of at-bats, then yes. But I wouldn't discount the other guys based on just that.

And yes, Morse is tied for 8th in home runs after missing time on the DL and slumping because of the injury. Pretty impressive.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Where do you get 3rd?

8th.

If you're talking about players with a comparable # of at-bats, then yes. But I wouldn't discount the other guys based on just that.

And yes, Morse is tied for 8th in home runs after missing time on the DL and slumping because of the injury. Pretty impressive.

as is 18-19, taking 2 of 3 from a division opponent, splitting with a very good Pirates team. the averages are starting to rise a bit, and the subtle increase in batting has led to more wins.

Still a fine balance with strong pitching, and if one falters then the team may slump again. But lets enjoy this little surge in wins.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am
  • It will be an excellent pitching matchup tomorrow.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 am
  • It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:It will be an excellent pitching matchup tomorrow.

Yep. CC Sabathia v. the King. Definitely going to record this game so the wife and I can watch all of it tomorrow.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 am
  • jkitsune wrote:It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.

I am beginning to lean towards Smoak sticking to one side of the plate an go from there. He has been atrocious as a RHB this season.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Where do you get 3rd?

8th.

I got the ranking from Mariners.com. Guess they only ranked the regular starters. Or just like the Mariners, their web guy sucks.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 pm
  • Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 am

Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

He got screwed two batters in a row.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Felix tweaked his back it would seem. :-(

It sounds like he'll be back to face the Indians on Sunday. I hope it's nothing serious/reoccurring.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

He got screwed two batters in a row.

No surprise, they were playing the Yankees. Kinda like the Seahawks playing the Stealers.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am
  • Saw a really sad stat in my paper this morning.......18 times in his career Felix has left a game with a lead only to have the Mariners blow that lead. Wow, just WOW!!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm
  • The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)
    Sorry Mariners fans, its the truth.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 pm
  • Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

And just as you post this, they jump out to a 7-0 start.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 pm
  • What are you apologizing for? I think most knowledgeable fans think .500 is probably a reasonable approximation of the roster as it stands (at the optimistic end - obviously there are more pessimistic estimates).

If Smoak, Ackley, and Montero play to potential there's a few extra wins in there, if Franklin and Zunino and Hultzen and Walker and Paxton all turn out it's a stellar roster, but, y'know, lots of ifs and all that.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 am
  • Nice to see Ackley draw 3 walks. I think he drew one the night before, too. That's a part of his game that's been missing.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 am
  • Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Also Ackley is better than Andino in every way. EVERY. WAY.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Everyday players like Ackley have schedule days of rest. Andino was just filling the slot.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am
  • Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

great story... compelling and rich
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Looks like Noesi is facing his former team today after Harang was scratched due to a stiff back.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

While mysteriously lacking anything particularly appealing. Kind of like a store bought frozen lasagna.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Looks like Noesi is facing his former team today after Harang was scratched due to a stiff back.

I really am not sure who is better or worse at this point lol.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Everyday players like Ackley have schedule days of rest. Andino was just filling the slot.

Hmm, I thought Andino had been replacing Ackley regularly over the last two weeks. Guess I was wrong.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Hmm, I thought Andino had been replacing Ackley regularly over the last two weeks. Guess I was wrong.

You were. In fact, if you thought that, then you are not really a fan of the Mariners in the first place and just came in here to spout off some nonsense. Even a casual follower of the team would know that Andino was spelling Ryan.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:

He was in for Ackley on Sunday and Tuesday. I don't recall seeing him in for Ackley for any other games. But I agree that starting Andino over Ackley would not be a wise move.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawksfanatik wrote:The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

Heh, my wife and I, when watching TV with bad acting, will both say "powerful" as smartarse commentary after the poorly acted scene is over.

I like what you did here...

Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information