Tiger Woods may be disqualified from the Masters

Rat

Reaction score
Looks like ESPN just picked this up too, although not on the front page or on TV yet.

Surprising that Tiger wouldn't know the rule there. His comment sure makes it sound like he didn't know the rule (why would he say that he dropped it two yards back if he did know the rule?), rather than trying to get away with something.

I almost always root against Tiger, but it's more interesting when he's playing.

It's also surprising that this took so long to get out, if it's even an issue. The PGA has had issues in the past with viewers calling in to report tiny issues they've noticed, things like a club grazing a branch or some debris on a backswing. As popular as Tiger is, it seems like this would have come out within minutes of it happening if it was a real violation.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I read up on it and I guess it has to do with signing an incorrect scorecard which is an automatic disqualification. To me if the official following him didn't notice and point it out they should just penalize him later when they find out. I don't think that's how it works though so he has a good chance of being disqualified.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
He got a 2-stroke penalty. Apparently there was a rules change last year that gave the committee some leeway it situations like this.

sutz

Reaction score
Rules are rules, but it would suck to see him disqualified. Smart move by the PTB to allow the leniency. If Tiger makes the cut, it will be great for ratings. :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
What stinks is that was an incredibly good shot that could have left him with an easy bird. It was a 4 shot swing on a beautiful shot.

Golf's rules are really rarely about justice.

Rat

Reaction score
If this had been Thobjorn Olesen or DA Points instead of Tiger Woods, I wonder if it would still be a two-stroke penalty, or whether they would have been disqualified.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Rat":27kbr465 said:
If this had been Thobjorn Olesen or DA Points instead of Tiger Woods, I wonder if it would still be a two-stroke penalty, or whether they would have been disqualified.

They probably wouldnt have cared and not given them a penalty at all. Tiger didnt get an advantage from this at all

Tical21

Reaction score
The plot thickens. According to some photos, he dropped the ball within inches of where he hit his previous shot. There should never have been a confession or penalty.

GCrow

Reaction score
This argument was so dumb. He knew there was a review going on, however was told by a Masters official that is was ok. If this was anyone else everyone would have said it's a fair ruling.

Also this is obvisouly inconclusive but take it FWIW.
72775f74-1025-40de-831f-bc969dc59af3_tiger-shots-side-by-side.jpg

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Golf's rules have needed a revamp for a long time, many of the rules punish things that have no obvious advantage.

As for those claiming Tiger got preferred treatment, I'd say the photos above show he actually got screwed. The fact that on course officials can be over ridden hours later because of a viewer call in is arbitrary and overly penal. How would you like it if bad calls by football officials could be changed hours later, after the game was over?

JesterHawk

Reaction score
They had a whole interview about this on Sunday morning where the official in charge of the committee explained why he wasn't disqualified but it basically boiled down to they didn't catch it in time and after a certain point they have certified his round and they have a rule against altering that decision once it was made. Their rules are so convoluted it's nuts. With all of the electronic surveillance going on around these guys I'm not sure why they have to keep a manual score card anyway. Seems a bit outdated.

Rat

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9exxnvcw said:
How would you like it if bad calls by football officials could be changed hours later, after the game was over?

If that could happen, we'd still be celebrating our Super Bowl XL victory.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
There should have be an official out there helping him with where he should hit it. Bullshit move by the Masters.

Rat

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2skymuq4 said:
There should have be an official out there helping him with where he should hit it. Bullshit move by the Masters.
There are officials on every hole. If Tiger had asked for help, he would have gotten it.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":mbit91ev said:

yeah, because the best golfer (nor his caddy) in the world for the last 20 years doesn't know the rules. :sarcasm_off:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
For everyone saying he got special treatment I would argue the opposite. I think he got screwed over by the officials' egos; oh Tiger Woods thinks he can get away with this!? We'll show him

The Radish

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1smryh3p said:
For everyone saying he got special treatment I would argue the opposite. I think he got screwed over by the officials' egos; oh Tiger Woods thinks he can get away with this!? We'll show him

One of the officials was right there and didn't say a thing at the time except agree with what he did. Nothing was said until some golfer watching on TV questioned it.

ergo: That's why he wasn't DQed for signing a wrong score card. It was correct to his and everyone elses knowledge when he signed it.

And Tex you aren't trying to say all players and officials know all the rules are you? Having been a fast pitch softball and baseball coach can tell you I have seen people who have been in the game 20 years and didn't know all the rules.

Hell we had a former official in our fast pitch softball league trying to field a team using first basemens gloves in the outfield. And got throughly pissed when told him if he didn't get regular gloves for his outfielders he was going to have to forfeit.

Hell I put our ball bag against the backstop for years to stop a ball from going out of play there because that's a 2 base throwing error. It got hit several times, knocking the ball back into the field of play and play continued no one being the wiser. A classic example of a play being accepted because not everyone read the rule book like I did all the time. :D

No one knows all the rules and the reason so many officials are scattered on the course is to prevent things like that from happening. The guy on the spot took none of the blame tho he should have. If he knew the rules things would have stopped, done it correctly and who knows what that drop and 2 shots would have done.

:les:

Latest posts