Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:27 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
Sad day for Man U fans.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Very sad

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
MANUNITED23 wrote:
Very sad


I know. Where's Howard Webb's money going to come from now?

In honor of Fergie's retirement, all games will have 6 additional minutes of added time this weekend.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
You're just bitter

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
MANUNITED23 wrote:
You're just bitter



nope.. just happy. and relieved that the league can finally move forward


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Fair enough.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: SW Florida
Now we'll find out if Man U can be as good without Fergie as they claimed to be without him.

Also it's weird now that Wenger and Moyes are the 2 longest serving managers in the EPL.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
Gatehawk wrote:
Now we'll find out if Man U can be as good without Fergie as they claimed to be without him.

Also it's weird now that Wenger and Moyes are the 2 longest serving managers in the EPL.


not weird... are there two clubs with less expectations placed on their managers over the last 5 years? make 4th, make top 10


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: SW Florida
Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
Now we'll find out if Man U can be as good without Fergie as they claimed to be without him.

Also it's weird now that Wenger and Moyes are the 2 longest serving managers in the EPL.


not weird... are there two clubs with less expectations placed on their managers over the last 5 years? make 4th, make top 10


I'm sorry that Arsenal and Everton don't have owners with itchy trigger fingers like Liverpool and Chelsea. You don't have to make a jerk comment like that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
Now we'll find out if Man U can be as good without Fergie as they claimed to be without him.

Also it's weird now that Wenger and Moyes are the 2 longest serving managers in the EPL.


not weird... are there two clubs with less expectations placed on their managers over the last 5 years? make 4th, make top 10


I'm sorry that Arsenal and Everton don't have owners with itchy trigger fingers like Liverpool and Chelsea. You don't have to make a jerk comment like that.


Settle down, it wasn't a jerk comment. Wenger had done what he's asked to do and more over the last 6-8 years, and should be given credit for it. Arsenal basically abuse his player development skills for profit. Moyes has done a great job at Everton considering the circumstances.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
Now we'll find out if Man U can be as good without Fergie as they claimed to be without him.

Also it's weird now that Wenger and Moyes are the 2 longest serving managers in the EPL.


not weird... are there two clubs with less expectations placed on their managers over the last 5 years? make 4th, make top 10


I'm sorry that Arsenal and Everton don't have owners with itchy trigger fingers like Liverpool and Chelsea. You don't have to make a jerk comment like that.


God Gate you're a baby. Arsenal spent 47 million on transfers this season. ... so how is what I said not true? While City, United and Chelsea expect top of the table, Arsenal doesnt. Its the way it is. Has been for 5 years now. its not a rip on Wenger, and dont act like it doesnt bother you.


Anyways this is about United not Gate's insecurities. It seems Moyes is the guy. Will be interesting to see what the owners give him this summer. I imagine Ferguson wont be too far behind him


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 405
With the absence of Ferguson i'd like to see some new blood in the premiership. I don't follow world football enough to know who that could/would be.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: SW Florida
Uncle Si wrote:
God Gate you're a baby. Arsenal spent 47 million on transfers this season. ... so how is what I said not true? While City, United and Chelsea expect top of the table, Arsenal doesnt. Its the way it is. Has been for 5 years now. its not a rip on Wenger, and dont act like it doesnt bother you.


Anyways this is about United not Gate's insecurities. It seems Moyes is the guy. Will be interesting to see what the owners give him this summer. I imagine Ferguson wont be too far behind him


You're seriously saying that after being the one that went off topic first. Just leave your contempt for me out of this dude.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
God Gate you're a baby. Arsenal spent 47 million on transfers this season. ... so how is what I said not true? While City, United and Chelsea expect top of the table, Arsenal doesnt. Its the way it is. Has been for 5 years now. its not a rip on Wenger, and dont act like it doesnt bother you.


Anyways this is about United not Gate's insecurities. It seems Moyes is the guy. Will be interesting to see what the owners give him this summer. I imagine Ferguson wont be too far behind him


You're seriously saying that after being the one that went off topic first. Just leave your contempt for me out of this dude.


yeah it was me who brought up Moyes and Wenger.... i dont have any contempt for you Gate, just some of your whining.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:10 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 736
Location: Van Buren, AR from Kent-Covington, WA
More than likely it will be Moyes replacing Sir Alex. I think that it could be a risky move, even though Moyes is a pretty solid manager. Although, he hasn't earned any trophies in his 11 years at Everton. With that said, he seems to get the best out of little to nothing and has kept Everton fairly relevant over the last decade with an incredibly small budget.

When it comes to Wenger and Arsenal, that team is run like an ebay or craigslist post, it's sad really. Buy cheap and sell high, Wenger does a great job of developing his players and making them into stars. I doubt he has any chance of becoming Man U's next manager though.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:09 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
Its official Moyes is leaving at seasons end. Connect the dots he ends up at Man U. Interesting or maybe not Rooney has removed ManUplayer from his twitter. Maybe much ado.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
MANUNITED23 wrote:
Fair enough.



you have to feel some sense of relief, no?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:30 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm
Posts: 1205
What about Avram Grant?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Hawkspur wrote:
What about Avram Grant?


hahaaaaaaaaaa

Well, rooney looks like he's the first one to jump ship. I expect somewhat of an exodus. Going to be an interesting few years for United here coming up.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
Done deal. Moyes just signed a six year deal to manage United.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:22 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
Done deal. Moyes just signed a six year deal to manage United.


I just don't think it's a good hire. this will be Hodgson at Liverpool all over again. Managing a club with a limited budget and keeping them in the top 10 most years is a lot different to managing a massive club like Ushited with expectations of multiple trophies every year.

Two seasons and he's out.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
peachesenregalia wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
Done deal. Moyes just signed a six year deal to manage United.


I just don't think it's a good hire. this will be Hodgson at Liverpool all over again. Managing a club with a limited budget and keeping them in the top 10 most years is a lot different to managing a massive club like Ushited with expectations of multiple trophies every year.

Two seasons and he's out.



Lets be honest though, Moyes is probably the best available at this time. United have had the same manager for over 2 decades. in selecting the successor i'm sure they are hoping for a similar run. While Mourinho for example may be a logical successor, hes never stayed anywhere for any length of time.

United made this hire with an eye at another 2 decade run in my mind. In doing so, Moyes will be given a longer leash. Fergusons United have surpassed Liverpool in league titles and made a nice run in most trophy competitions over the last decade. My thought is the owners are willing to bask in that light for awhile and even acquiesce title runs for a couple years in rebuilding a team that needs reformation in personnel.

This is my positive outlook for United. In that, it also leaves a big door open for the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Liverpool to surpass them


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:32 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
Done deal. Moyes just signed a six year deal to manage United.


I just don't think it's a good hire. this will be Hodgson at Liverpool all over again. Managing a club with a limited budget and keeping them in the top 10 most years is a lot different to managing a massive club like Ushited with expectations of multiple trophies every year.

Two seasons and he's out.



Lets be honest though, Moyes is probably the best available at this time. United have had the same manager for over 2 decades. in selecting the successor i'm sure they are hoping for a similar run. While Mourinho for example may be a logical successor, hes never stayed anywhere for any length of time.

United made this hire with an eye at another 2 decade run in my mind. In doing so, Moyes will be given a longer leash. Fergusons United have surpassed Liverpool in league titles and made a nice run in most trophy competitions over the last decade. My thought is the owners are willing to bask in that light for awhile and even acquiesce title runs for a couple years in rebuilding a team that needs reformation in personnel.

This is my positive outlook for United. In that, it also leaves a big door open for the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Liverpool to surpass them


That's just it though, As Liverpool fans know, once you lose enough ground on your opponents, it can be nigh impossible to climb back up. Someone like Guardiola or Mourinho would have brought star power as well as fantastic coaching with them. I just can't see Europe's top players all going "Oh yes, I want to play for David Moyes". And once high profile players (Like Rooney) start jumping ship, they'll find it a lot harder to bring in top talent.

Moyes just doesn't deem like the type to get it done for united, and if they fall away too much, they may face a lengthy spell of mediocrity, not unlike the one Liverpool have been mired in for the last 20-odd years.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
I agree completely. Im not saying he's the right hire, that he made sense for United's thought process. It seems they are willing to suffer the drop in overall competitive quality for a spell of consistency, hoping Moyes learns the job as Ferguson did (who was not successful early on)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Uncle Si wrote:
I agree completely. Im not saying he's the right hire, that he made sense for United's thought process. It seems they are willing to suffer the drop in overall competitive quality for a spell of consistency, hoping Moyes learns the job as Ferguson did (who was not successful early on)


Different time now though. Back then, Fergie was able to slot into the power vacuum left when Dalgiesh left Liverpool and Souness screwed us up. Everton were on the decline by then and Arsenal were hit-and-miss. There was more parity back then and Ferguson just hit a run of consistent form that allowed him to keep building a strong team.

Now with Chelsea and City, along with Spurs, liverpool and Arsenal, united will find it hard to break into CL football even.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 736
Location: Van Buren, AR from Kent-Covington, WA
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am
Posts: 405
McG wrote:
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.


Some decent points in there but Liverpool being at least 2-3 years from being a contender for 3rd or 4th? No. It's a big if, but if our youth improves and we can cut the dead weight (Downing, Allen, Assaidi) or at least repurpose them and get a couple of mid-tier transfer targets we will challenge for a top 4 spot starting this coming August. A lot of if's but I don't think its entirely pants on head crazy.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:24 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Uncle Si wrote:
MANUNITED23 wrote:
Fair enough.



you have to feel some sense of relief, no?


About what? If you're referring to Moyes appointment then yes.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 736
Location: Van Buren, AR from Kent-Covington, WA
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
McG wrote:
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.


Some decent points in there but Liverpool being at least 2-3 years from being a contender for 3rd or 4th? No. It's a big if, but if our youth improves and we can cut the dead weight (Downing, Allen, Assaidi) or at least repurpose them and get a couple of mid-tier transfer targets we will challenge for a top 4 spot starting this coming August. A lot of if's but I don't think its entirely pants on head crazy.


I agree, but what I'm working with is what we know now and what recent history has told us about all the teams, including Liverpool. I like Liverpool, their history is second to none (including Man U) regarding trophies. Their manager Rodgers is a guy that I really like after the "Being Liverpool" series. As it stands right now, their transfer budget is weak (they didn't even have enough at the deadline to pull 8mil on Dempsey) and if they sell a "big money" player like Suarez they wont get full value due to his B.S. past. What they do have is some great young talent, Countinho and Sturridge topping the list, then you have Allen, Carroll, Borini, Sterling, Henderson, Shelvey and maybe even Wisdom and Coates can develop as good defenders. The vets of the squad are pretty solid, but their captain is hanging on by a thread, (just had shoulder surgery) is 32 and will be 33 in 20 days. Without any transfers they have a pretty good squad and who knows what will happen in the summer, but I don't see them right now battle for anything other than the Europa League. After a few years of development this team, with the right transfers could be fighting for the Champions League.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
MANUNITED23 wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
MANUNITED23 wrote:
Fair enough.



you have to feel some sense of relief, no?


About what? If you're referring to Moyes appointment then yes.


I assumed Ferguson was no more than a couple years out from retiring. I imagine United fans did as well. So I guess the sense of relief is that its over and a good replacement was found easily.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
I guess I agree with that. I knew he was going to retire someday.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
McG wrote:
InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
McG wrote:
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.


Some decent points in there but Liverpool being at least 2-3 years from being a contender for 3rd or 4th? No. It's a big if, but if our youth improves and we can cut the dead weight (Downing, Allen, Assaidi) or at least repurpose them and get a couple of mid-tier transfer targets we will challenge for a top 4 spot starting this coming August. A lot of if's but I don't think its entirely pants on head crazy.


I agree, but what I'm working with is what we know now and what recent history has told us about all the teams, including Liverpool. I like Liverpool, their history is second to none (including Man U) regarding trophies. Their manager Rodgers is a guy that I really like after the "Being Liverpool" series. As it stands right now, their transfer budget is weak (they didn't even have enough at the deadline to pull 8mil on Dempsey) and if they sell a "big money" player like Suarez they wont get full value due to his B.S. past. What they do have is some great young talent, Countinho and Sturridge topping the list, then you have Allen, Carroll, Borini, Sterling, Henderson, Shelvey and maybe even Wisdom and Coates can develop as good defenders. The vets of the squad are pretty solid, but their captain is hanging on by a thread, (just had shoulder surgery) is 32 and will be 33 in 20 days. Without any transfers they have a pretty good squad and who knows what will happen in the summer, but I don't see them right now battle for anything other than the Europa League. After a few years of development this team, with the right transfers could be fighting for the Champions League.


I think Liverpool are a lot closer to top 4 than 2-3 years. Honestly the way the team has responded from a disastrous start has been a relief (if anything) and they have been a top 3 team in terms of form on points since the start of December. They just need consistency throughout a season. I feel their core and foundation are stronger than Arsenal and Spurs.

I think your right about United (needing 2-3 years) but I imagine a bit more of drop from them initially. I dont see them challenging for a title next year. I think Ferguson is the first of a handful of fairly dramatic changes we will see. Those changes might all lead to a stronger club in the long term but i think the adjustment period will be too much to overcome in terms of a title challenge next year. As peaches alluded to, they need to be careful the adjustment period doesnt become and idling one that lasts say, 20 years.

Still, the departure of a name like Ferguson throws so much more drama into next season. Im looking forward to it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
And Scholes announces he will retire after the season as well.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm
Posts: 27
I saw the news that Scholes is hanging it up after the season as well. I wonder how much Sir Alex's retirement played into that? Either way he had a hell of a career and I'm glad he's retiring at Man U instead of pulling a Beckham and just embarrassing himself into playing long past his ability to perform at a top level.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
And the fact that Ronney being unhappy and demanding transfer confirmed as well.

Not that I'm all that but I'm suprised a few of the Futy fanatics didnt pick up the fact that I'm the one that started this thread.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4198
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
And the fact that Ronney being unhappy and demanding transfer confirmed as well.

Not that I'm all that but I'm suprised a few of the Futy fanatics didnt pick up the fact that I'm the one that started this thread.


Cali youre an inspiration.

Scholes retirement (for the 2nd time) i think was happening either way. The Rooney exit only helps United in my mind. i think hes run his course as an impact player in the PL and United will do well to replace him. RvP owns that high striker spot and Rooney just wasnt capable of staying fit and operating the #10 spot.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Giggs will likely retire too, at this point. United's midfield need serious help in this offseason or they will REALLY find it tough to break teams like Stoke and Swansea down next season. there's going to be a massive power vacuum in the PL next year, with Fergie, Rafa and Mancini all probably out. That's 3 new managers for 3 of the top 4 teams in the league. With Bale probably leaving Spurs, it's going to be as interesting a race for the top 4 spots as we've ever seen, in my opinion.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring
 Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
Uncle Si wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
And the fact that Ronney being unhappy and demanding transfer confirmed as well.

Not that I'm all that but I'm suprised a few of the Futy fanatics didnt pick up the fact that I'm the one that started this thread.


Cali youre an inspiration.

Scholes retirement (for the 2nd time) i think was happening either way. The Rooney exit only helps United in my mind. i think hes run his course as an impact player in the PL and United will do well to replace him. RvP owns that high striker spot and Rooney just wasnt capable of staying fit and operating the #10 spot.


Si I give MLS a hard time but I am a casual closet Man-U fan. I actually even caught the 09 winning of the Premiership at Old Trafford in 09. The DRAW against Arsenal. That was the best Man-U team for me anyway. That team is virtually complety dissolved.

Scholes gone. Giggs likely too. I think Rooneys time at Trafford have passed as well.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.