Ryne Sandberg now a major league manager

The Radish

Reaction score
Sandberg named interim coach/manager of the Phillies.

We're interested here of course since he is from Spokane.

His team of choice was of course the Cubbies but they passed him over twice for a managers job before he got the point he wasn't wanted there and moved on. He was a former minor league manager of the years for the Phils so it wasn't just a name thing.

I fear he's in a dead end job at Philly as they need help getting their "old guys" to play.

I would have posted a link to our paper but if you aren't a subscriber they charge for it. If you're interested its Spokanesman.com

:les:

SharkHawk

Reaction score
About time. He got really raw treatment from the Cubs, and rumors were going around that it was because of how his divorce supposedly impacted his play in Chicago. There are people that "float" these ideas that Sandberg isn't stable because of how he reacted to his divorce. Never do they think that they surrounded him with no talent and he carried that team forever, and got nothing in return. The Cubs got as close as they ever have with Rhino playing and leading that team, and haven't really done jack squat since (aside from Sosa's juice homer years). But he is rewarded with repeated snubs.

Good on him for getting the Philly job. That's where he started his big league career, and hopefully that's where he wins some rings and shows them to his friends in the Cubbies front office.

McG

Reaction score
And now everybody is officially old. You are. I am. He is. The other guy. Your momma. Everyone is old.

Seriously though, the guy was one of the best baseball players in the league for like 15 years straight. I hope his career as a manager is as successful as his playing days, he always seemed like a good guy.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
I think he has little chance of success because of the same type of ownership mentality that prevade the Mariners organization. But at least he has finally been given a chance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Radish":2f6qk4zo said:
I think he has little chance of success because of the same type of ownership mentality that prevade the Mariners organization. But at least he has finally been given a chance.

didnt the Phillies just win a World Series and dump millions into high caliber players? or does he have little chance because now, as with any team that takes that route, the players are older, overpaid and the club doesnt have the flexibility to properly compete?

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3kag8gko said:
The Radish":3kag8gko said:

didnt the Phillies just win a World Series and dump millions into high caliber players? or does he have little chance because now, as with any team that takes that route, the players are older, overpaid and the club doesnt have the flexibility to properly compete?

I think probably a bit of each. Plus the players seem to want to run the team.

Largent80

Reaction score
He seriously messed up the other day by sending his pitcher to the plate with 119 pitches under his belt and a man on first late in the game and behind by 1 run.

Of course it didn't end well, and they got beat

KK84

Reaction score
The mentality of ownership of the Mariners and the Phillies are not at all similar. The similarities are all in the GM position IMO. Reuben Amarro has massively failed when it comes to the farm system and we all know how bad Bavasi was

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'd agree with that. Amaro was in a really weird position though. He was kind of in the "go win now" because they wanted to keep Howard around and continue building on that one crazy magical year, but they also wanted to appease the fanbase, and they also wanted to put together a team that would finish with a World Series or 2 and then try to rebuild.

The problem is precisely what you say. While doing that, you should be restocking your low minor leagues, so that the next crop is ready to jump in. Unfortunately Amaro gave everybody in their minor league system away to get that "team that can win now". But the team that could win now was full of question marks. He got too many old arms and thought they'd dominate. They didn't win the Series with dominant arms 1-4. They won it with great defense (led by Rollins up the middle), amazing and timely hitting by Rollins, Howard, Victorino, Utley, etc. They put together a really great team... and what do you know? The great players they had were for the most part homegrown players. Then they surround them with hired guns and fail miserably. Now they are screwed, because they don't have any young Ryan Howard/Chase Utley/Jimmy Rollins types coming up in their minor league system because Amaro is so myopic.

Unfortunate. I enjoyed watching them do well. Their fans are obnoxious, but my Pony League team was called the Phillies and I've rooted for them since a kid for that reason. I played third base and idolized Mike Schmidt. I loved watching Tug McGraw close out the world series way back in the 70's, because he was fun to watch pitch. I enjoyed the team that they built in the 2005-2010 time period, but it has really gone to crap.

If Sandberg doesn't succeed then it is going to get the Cubs to say "told you so", but Ryne has a great mind and he'll have hiccups this year for sure, but I think he'll also get another chance even if this doesn't work out. Maybe he'll come home and coach the M's and move into a management position at some point. I sure do think he could help with a particular young man named Dustin Ackley who seems to be lacking the two main characteristics Ryne had... 1- Cool to the point that it is almost intense. There is a fine line between relaxed and confident and intense and focused. Ryne was always in the game and focused, but wasn't edgy which Ackley seems to be. Maybe he needs to mellow out? 2- Confidence confidence confidence. Ryne NEVER looked desperate or concerned. Even if he made an error he didn't sit there and kick dirt and grouse around. He just did what he knew he was capable of doing and did it well. I think that what he offers has worked very well in the minors, and I think he'd be a great coach and eventual manager of young guys.

We'll see..... but I wish him well and then some. A class act.