Dodger fan stabbed and killed at SF game

Erebus

Reaction score
Sad. I think the lesson to be learned here is SF is a dangerous place to root for opposing teams, which was always kind of apparent, but is becoming much more obvious.

They are quickly becoming the worst sports city in the country. Philly had a reputation for being harsh on the home team and booing anyone and everyone. But these SF fans are getting a reputation for fighting, stabbing, and killing opposing fans.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
If you must attend games in opposing territory it appears to be wise to not wear your colors, which makes the question why go?

Subzero717

Reaction score
This is getting waaaaay stupid and really sad. Its a damn game. Not that it would ever happen but banning alcohol would help or just not having fans in the stadium at all. It sounds extreme and unrealistic which I agree it is but I remember a soccer team that did just that. They closed the stadium and televised it for personal safety for everyone.

Erebus

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":fv15l0gk said:
This is getting waaaaay stupid and really sad. Its a damn game. Not that it would ever happen but banning alcohol would help or just not having fans in the stadium at all. It sounds extreme and unrealistic which I agree it is but I remember a soccer team that did just that. They closed the stadium and televised it for personal safety for everyone.

That would pretty much ruin sports.

Donn2390

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":7mpaycgr said:
I was Rams season ticket holder for many years, and when the Rams played at home (Anaheim Stadium at that time) and the Raiders came to town, you didn't dare wear anything that would identify you as a Rams fan if you valued your health and safety. You weren't safe in your own home field.!
Since Georgia ripped my heart out and took the team to SL, I have become a Rams hater and hope they lose every game they play. I might make an exception when they play the 9ers.
I was teamless until Pete left my beloved USC, so I followed him up here and have been a Hawk fan every since..
GO HAWKS..!!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Donn2390":6qpphgou said:
CALIHAWK1":6qpphgou said:
I was Rams season ticket holder for many years, and when the Rams played at home (Anaheim Stadium at that time) and the Raiders came to town, you didn't dare wear anything that would identify you as a Rams fan if you valued your health and safety. You weren't safe in your own home field.!
Since Georgia ripped my heart out and took the team to SL, I have become a Rams hater and hope they lose every game they play. I might make an exception when they play the 9ers.
I was teamless until Pete left my beloved USC, so I followed him up here and have been a Hawk fan every since..
GO HAWKS..!!
nice dude...hope you stick around for the ride. It's gonna be a fun one

Subzero717

Reaction score
Erebus":26xk1but said:
CALIHAWK1":26xk1but said:

No people dying and getting beaten into unconciousness at games is ruining sports. I am also only saying in this instance San Francisco. They can't behave themselves.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Erebus":r7u4mboo said:
CALIHAWK1":r7u4mboo said:

Why? I love beer and whiskey as much as the next guy, but that's at home. When in a crowd, it makes people more dangerous - especially after the game is over and they pile into their cars.

Erebus

Reaction score
I meant closing the stadium and only televising it would ruin sports. Banning alcohol wouldn't be such a bad idea in some deserving cities.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":9hb4i56a said:
Erebus":9hb4i56a said:
CALIHAWK1":9hb4i56a said:

No people dying and getting beaten into unconciousness at games is ruining sports. I am also only saying in this instance San Francisco. They can't behave themselves.

How are you going to take the spectator out of a spectator sport? The teams would crumble if you close its doors. It's never gonna happen, but a more reasonable approach would be to ban alcohol and not allow drunk people to enter the stadium. Breathalyze every person if you have to.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
This, and the one by the Clink before the SF game the night before were after the games. They quit serving way before then.

This is more about attitudes than alcohol.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Largent80":1gtsplhj said:
This, and the one by the Clink before the SF game the night before were after the games. They quit serving way before then.

This is more about attitudes than alcohol.

But they were probably drinking throughout the whole game. It's a mixture of both but we all have heard of liquid courage

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
While that is entirely possible, our prefunks at Temple, and at the games themselves haven't resulted in any of us stabbing or beating someone.

That is an attitude that is a behavior issue. "liquid courage" and a mob mentality help bring it out.

The guy killed was the son of a security guard for the Dodgers, very sad.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/97256 ... -francisco

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Largent80":16zmpmk8 said:
While that is entirely possible, our prefunks at Temple, and at the games themselves haven't resulted in any of us stabbing or beating someone.

That is an attitude that is a behavior issue. "liquid courage" and a mob mentality help bring it out.

The guy killed was the son of a security guard for the Dodgers, very sad.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/97256 ... -francisco

You're probably right. Someone made the conscious decision to bring a knife with them probably even before they started on the alcohol.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the deal though, we only hear the news side of the story. I am watching "good day L.A." this morning and they talked about how the victim had been arrested twice this summer. One was for public intoxication.

I can imagine this guy yacking off a Giants Suck, and this group of people attacked.

Nobody deserves to get attacked, knifed, shot, but we are one delusional or drunk person away from that happening.

Alcohol definitely adds fuel to that fire.

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":ml5mknre said:
CALIHAWK1":ml5mknre said:
Erebus":ml5mknre said:
CALIHAWK1":ml5mknre said:

How are you going to take the spectator out of a spectator sport? The teams would crumble if you close its doors. It's never gonna happen, but a more reasonable approach would be to ban alcohol and not allow drunk people to enter the stadium. Breathalyze every person if you have to.

I get that its drastic but something drastic has to happen. When beefed up security and more police at Candlestick seem to have no affect, what's next? They make tons off TV. I believe alcohol plays a huge factor. Like Largent stated though we all have been a little tipsy heading to a game. Anyone that's met me pregame can vouch for me. I've never been in a fight let alone anything more drastic.