AL Cy Young race

Erebus

Reaction score
Any chance Iwakuma wins the AL Cy Young award? He finished the season very strong with three straight scoreless games (23 innings combined).

He's 2nd in innings pitched in the AL with 219.2.

3rd in ERA (2.66), but the only two ahead of him are ahead by .02, and they have at least 35 fewer innings pitched.

He's 9th in strikeouts.

His record is 14-6, which is better than when Felix won it in 2010.

His biggest competition for the award is Max Scherzer. Scherzer has a higher ERA (2.94) and fewer innings pitched (214.1) Scherzer's biggest advantage is the W/L record (21-3), which used to be a big deal (see Clemens 2001), but its importance is lessening with voters lately (see Felix 2010).

I think he has a legit shot.

Hawker

Reaction score
How awesome would that be?! One glaring bright spot on the team this year, without question. Early in the season, and then again late he has been completely unhittable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Iwakuma is certainly deserving..... I just feel Scherzer is the odds on favorite. I do believe the committee doesn't value wins and losses above other key stats. But Scherzers record and its value to the tigers may be a bit too much to overcome.

Saying that.... The Ms rotation looks very strong heading back into next season with iwakuma, Felix, walker and Paxton (who has been great since his call up). They can afford to focus their attention on bats this offseason

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Iwakamura was good the first half, but he collapsed after All Star game.

IMO no chance pretty much Darvish or Max gets it.

Hawker

Reaction score
Uncle Si":t4t2bzcr said:
...The Ms rotation looks very strong heading back into next season with iwakuma, Felix, walker and Paxton (who has been great since his call up). They can afford to focus their attention on bats this offseason

My thoughts as well. How nice it would be to have two guys complimenting the Felix / Iwakuma duo at the top of the rotation? We haven't had a reliable 1-2-3 punch in quite some time, let along a nasty 1-2-3-4 combo. Use the 5th and final rotation spot for the "next man up" mantra. We have a couple of guys in San Jose (IIRC) that ought to take Walker and Paxton's spots in Tacoma - we might have our fist offseason where no pitching acquisitions are required. Focus 100% on bats.

It will be fun to see who hits free agency, because I don't think we have much in the form of trade bait.

Back to the OP, I don't think Iwakuma will be considered for the AL Cy Young this season, unfortunately.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Carmon1274":cy1bfgjh said:

Iwakamura is on the ballot for a reason, and while i dont think he will win, i wouldnt say he "collapsed"...

he did have a rough patch right after the all star break, but I would go back and look at this final 6-8 starts for the M's. He seemed to get it together and finished with very strong performances. Better hitting around him and he would be around 18 wins, which would have garnered him far more interest.

But yes, it should be Max

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3c3yh6bi said:
Carmon1274":3c3yh6bi said:

Iwakamura is on the ballot for a reason, and while i dont think he will win, i wouldnt say he "collapsed"...

he did have a rough patch right after the all star break, but I would go back and look at this final 6-8 starts for the M's. He seemed to get it together and finished with very strong performances. Better hitting around him and he would be around 18 wins, which would have garnered him far more interest.

But yes, it should be Max

I wrote Darvish first because Darvish has a better shot, better opportunity to get it than Max. Darvish had 277 strike outs, which is amazing. I think he's gonna get much better next season.

Also would like to mention that Harvey and Buchholz, had a shot also if they weren't injured. Glad that Harvey got injured because I didn't want him to be like Pineda, where we all saw Pineda's rookie season amazing, and then he misses like 2 season and longer. Also Hope Pineda comes back playing well for the Bronx, where they need him because CC isn't capable of Being the #1, and Kuroda is struggling.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't get why anyone thinks Scherzer is more deserving than Iwakuma. Actually I do get it. It's win/loss record. But that thinking is outdated and wrong.

More IP + lower ERA = better pitcher. Remember, this award is about the best pitcher, and he doesn't have to be on a playoff team (unlike the MVP, according to voters).

If you're going to knock Iwakuma for a rough stretch, you have to knock all other pitchers too. Nobody was dominant in every start. Its a marathon, and he came out on top statistically.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Erebus":1bww6q6o said:
I don't get why anyone thinks Scherzer is more deserving than Iwakuma. Actually I do get it. It's win/loss record. But that thinking is outdated and wrong.

More IP + lower ERA = better pitcher. Remember, this award is about the best pitcher, and he doesn't have to be on a playoff team (unlike the MVP, according to voters).

If you're going to knock Iwakuma for a rough stretch, you have to knock all other pitchers too. Nobody was dominant in every start. Its a marathon, and he came out on top statistically.

We all get that but thanks for the lecture anyways ( the point of the thread was to reflect on his statistical advantages over the other candidates) The question is if we thought the voters would take a chance on him. Obviously we all think he deserves strong consideration

Your points would be better made to the committee... As you know they not us pick the winner. Felix's award was recognition of years of dominant pitching. The W-L record could be forgiven based on his statistical dominance. Iwaku is new to the conversation and regardless of what you or I think the voters will be drawn to the Win totals of Max and Dirvish

There areca lit of factors that lean in Iwakus favor, including managing a respectable W-L record and high end stastics on a bad team. That's a massive accomplishment. I guess this year will truly test the committees philosophy on evaluation of pitchers