Bought a collection of football cards

Erebus

Reaction score
A coworker of mine was trying to unload his football cards, so he sold me his entire collection for $40. The vast majority of them are from 2006.

The collection had a ton of jersey patches and autographs, but like I said, they are mostly from 2006. Its really unfortunate that draft class sucked so much. Some of these cards would be worth hundreds of dollars apiece if the players, like Vince Young and Matt Leinart, didn't bust. And he would've had a much cooler collection if he wasn't a Lions fan or if he could've kept collecting in 2007 for Megatron.

To my surprise, I found a Steve Largent auto in there, which that card itself obviously makes the whole thing worth buying.

Anyways, I added it up based on what each card is going for on ebay, and the collection is worth over $1,000, just from the rookies, autos, patches, and PSA graded Peyton Manning and Brett Favre rookie cards (both perfect 10s). If you add in all the commons, its probably worth $1,300.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Erebus":3benulk1 said:
A coworker of mine was trying to unload his football cards, so he sold me his entire collection for $40. The vast majority of them are from 2006.

The collection had a ton of jersey patches and autographs, but like I said, they are mostly from 2006. Its really unfortunate that draft class sucked so much. Some of these cards would be worth hundreds of dollars apiece if the players, like Vince Young and Matt Leinart, didn't bust. And he would've had a much cooler collection if he wasn't a Lions fan or if he could've kept collecting in 2007 for Megatron.

To my surprise, I found a Steve Largent auto in there, which that card itself obviously makes the whole thing worth buying.

Anyways, I added it up based on what each card is going for on ebay, and the collection is worth over $1,000, just from the rookies, autos, patches, and PSA graded Peyton Manning and Brett Favre rookie cards (both perfect 10s). If you add in all the commons, its probably worth $1,300.
Sports cards are like anything. They are worth only what someone is willing to pay you. The PSA graded cards are what will get you maybe close to their book if you find the right buyer. All the rest you will get far below book, good luck getting anything for common cards, where you may be able to sell a couple if someone is trying to complete a set the old fashioned way. Not trying to sound harsh, that's just the reality.

I have tons of baseball cards from the early to late 80's
Into the 90's, outside of a few exceptions most are not worth much.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1t84ymff said:
Erebus":1t84ymff said:

Sports cards are like anything. They are worth only what someone is willing to pay you. The PSA graded cards are what will get you maybe close to their book if you find the right buyer. All the rest you will get far below book, good luck getting anything for common cards, where you may be able to sell a couple if someone is trying to complete a set the old fashioned way. Not trying to sound harsh, that's just the reality.

I have tons of baseball cards from the early to late 80's
Into the 90's, outside of a few exceptions most are not worth much.

I get what you're saying about book value, but I'm basing these values off of completed auctions on ebay (typically going with the lowest selling price seen). These auctions are all recent. I don't ever expect to sell the commons.

To make money, typically you need to sell a card at that player's peak. Its all about perceived value going forward, just like real trade value in the NFL. Some players' cards will never lose their value if they've established themselves as all time greats. Griffey autographs are still out of my price range, despite being retired.

And that era of card collecting (late 80s, early 90s) is mostly worthless. There was a massive overproduction during that time and it flooded the market. There was also nothing special about any of them. They didn't have autographs, patches, refractors, or numbered production runs.