Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: Mariners to hire Lloyd McClendon as new manager

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • The Mariners seem to be getting closer to hiring a new manager.

Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that Tigers hitting coach and former Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon was in Seattle Sunday for a second interview with General Manager Jack Zduriencik.

And the Tacoma News Tribune reports former Mariner and White Sox bench coach Joey Cora interviewed with the team on Friday.

Oakland bench coach Chip Hale was reportedly in Seattle Monday for a second interview as well. Hale was finalist for the M’s skipper position when Don Wakamatsu was hired. He also has managerial experience in Triple A with Tucson

According to Johns, there are five finalists for the open job, including McClendon, Cora and Hale.

The other two are Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach and Padres bench coach Rick Renteria.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/11/04/mariners-n ... z2jjXC2RO6
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

• GoldenIsThyTate wrote:well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant

:13:

When your GM sits down with the local sports writer and says "There are plenty of great things to do at Safeco other than watch Major League Baseball". You've got issues far deeper than a Manager.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah. Hard to get excited about this. Even among optimists my optimism is waning.

I will be irrationally angry if they hire Joey Cora though. Such a Howard Lincoln thing to do.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I have a hard time believing they're going to get anyone worth having to take this job for a year only to get fired by the GM we hire next season.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I thought I heard Dave Valle was in the mix?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• If only these guys knew what they were actually getting themselves into...

:stirthepot:
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• dontbelikethat wrote:If only these guys knew what they were actually getting themselves into...

:stirthepot:

First thing that came to mind for me when I read the title of the thread... "Who wants to coach for SEA?"
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• GoldenIsThyTate wrote:well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant

100% agree with this. The FO of the Mariners is and has always been the problem of late. We won't have any success until there is a change there first and foremost.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Yep.

It starts with Armstrong and Lincoln prioritizing families having a nice time in Safeco over winning.

I wish we had just built a new arena for the Sonics and let the Mariners fend for themselves. Hindsight, I know, but we should have gone away from refurbishing the Key and just spent that Ms park money on the Sonics in the mid-'90s.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Expect Mc Clendon.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I sounder why the tigers didn't hire him? What did they see?
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• Wonder*
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• Lithium
    NET Veteran

• terrible hire, just terrrible
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• Well, at least maybe he will bend over less to the umpires than Wedge did.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• davidonmi wrote:terrible hire, just terrrible

Why is it a terrible hire?

Who could they have gotten that would be able to turn this team around?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Hey, I already give the guy massive props for being willing to come into this debacle of an organization. Who else would?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• davidonmi wrote:terrible hire, just terrrible

How can you even judge? We don't even really understand what makes a good manager, much less how to predict managerial success. I'm just glad they didn't hire Joey Cora.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Yeah I think Cora would have been aweful. I don't hate this hire. Then I think really what big name would ever come here. Let's go McClendon give them hell. I hope at least we can bat better.
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• The real question is who will be our new manager in 2015.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Cal Ripken Jr.?
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Good hire.

Bring in that 2000-2005 Pirates vibe.

SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Or ownership.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• 425HawkSpark wrote:I wonder why the tigers didn't hire him? What did they see?

Some front office eyes see winning baseball and other front offices' eyes see only fans in the stands.

What the one understands sows both, and the other thinks bobbleheads.
    400WattHPSHawk
    NET Veteran

• McClendon, who will be introduced to the media Thursday afternoon, was a finalist for the Mariners job in 2010 when Eric Wedge was hired. Why now and not then, Zduriencik was asked?

"I think he is just three years more experienced if you will," Zduriencik answered. "I think with the manager we hired the last time, he hit all buttons and Lloyd did, too. It was a very close call at that time. We did what we did. I think the fact that the previous manager had experience taking the club close to the World Series weighed in his favor."
    Zduriencik admitted that McClendon's managerial experience was a factor in his selection but revealed that he wasn't the only candidate who had managed at the big-league level.

"Experience as a manager helped but we had many discussions with guys who had managerial experience before that," Zduriencik said. "At the end this was the group of five that we thought were the best fit for us."

Part of the vetting process included talking to numerous players who had played for McClendon. Zduriencik liked what he heard.

"To a man, even the players in Detroit right now had great things to say about his demeanor," Zduriencik said. "He's a tough guy, he's a quiet guy, very humble. It's not out there, it's not in-your-face personality but it is a very confident inner quietness about him, but his players play hard for him and they respect him."

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=384&sid=238 ... um=twitter
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:
    McClendon, who will be introduced to the media Thursday afternoon, was a finalist for the Mariners job in 2010 when Eric Wedge was hired. Why now and not then, Zduriencik was asked?

"I think he is just three years more experienced if you will," Zduriencik answered. "I think with the manager we hired the last time, he hit all buttons and Lloyd did, too. It was a very close call at that time. We did what we did. I think the fact that the previous manager had experience taking the club close to the World Series weighed in his favor."
    Zduriencik admitted that McClendon's managerial experience was a factor in his selection but revealed that he wasn't the only candidate who had managed at the big-league level.

"Experience as a manager helped but we had many discussions with guys who had managerial experience before that," Zduriencik said. "At the end this was the group of five that we thought were the best fit for us."

Part of the vetting process included talking to numerous players who had played for McClendon. Zduriencik liked what he heard.

"To a man, even the players in Detroit right now had great things to say about his demeanor," Zduriencik said. "He's a tough guy, he's a quiet guy, very humble. It's not out there, it's not in-your-face personality but it is a very confident inner quietness about him, but his players play hard for him and they respect him."

Of course current Tigers players would have nothing but accolades for a coach who has a shot at a managerial gig. Duh.

Did Z ever call any Pirates players that played for McC from 01' to 05'? He must've, right?

Considering he did; Did every former Bucs player (M's front office doing their homework) under McC just give him a glowing endorsement. Or did one, or two players say something the front office didn't want to hear. Like...

1) Dude was an idiot. Hey man I'm sorry, he was cool n all but he ain't no manager material from what I played under...Just me.

2)Bwa...hahahahahaha.

I guess all we can hope for is this is lucky number 17. The previous 16 managers in M's history were all idiots.
    400WattHPSHawk
    NET Veteran

• 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:
    McClendon, who will be introduced to the media Thursday afternoon, was a finalist for the Mariners job in 2010 when Eric Wedge was hired. Why now and not then, Zduriencik was asked?

Of course current Tigers players would have nothing but accolades for a coach who has a shot at a managerial gig. Duh.

Did Z ever call any Pirates players that played for McC from 01' to 05'? He must've, right?

Considering he did; Did every former Bucs player (M's front office doing their homework) under McC just give him a glowing endorsement. Or did one, or two players say something the front office didn't want to hear. Like...

1) Dude was an idiot. Hey man I'm sorry, he was cool n all but he ain't no manager material from what I played under...Just me.

2)Bwa...hahahahahaha.

I guess all we can hope for is this is lucky number 17. The previous 16 managers in M's history were all idiots.

Lou Pinella was an idiot?

interesting... makes as much sense as the rest of your post really.

anyways, managers have like a 10% impact on the game. (unless you keep your starting pitchers our there for 140 pitches a start)

This team needs better players. I'm interested in seeing the off season transpire. I'm about ready to end my already distant relationship with this team. This winter may make the difference.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Unless the Ms are going to actually raise payroll to 120M+ and then actually spend it wisely, there isn't any way this team is going to be any good next year. They have basically Seager, a bunch of underachieving garbage, Felix, and Iwakuma. Overpaying Jacoby Ellsbury won't do much to change that.

Unless Zunino, Smoak, Ackley, Paxton, and Walker all go off, this team is winning 72-74 games at the most, and I have no faith in any of our prospects going off because they never do.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Unless the Ms are going to actually raise payroll to 120M+ and then actually spend it wisely, there isn't any way this team is going to be any good next year. They have basically Seager, a bunch of underachieving garbage, Felix, and Iwakuma. Overpaying Jacoby Ellsbury won't do much to change that.

Unless Zunino, Smoak, Ackley, Paxton, and Walker all go off, this team is winning 72-74 games at the most, and I have no faith in any of our prospects going off because they never do.

i disagree, but only a little. there are bargains to be had out there, and many teams have paved the way to show that blueprint to be successful. last year there were 4-5 players who came in under 10 million who had outstanding seasons.

however, bringing in 1-2 of those players would boster the consistency through the lineup. Paxton and Walker i feel will be solid pitchers next season. maybe not great, but a significant upgrade over what we have.

that means we would need more production from younger hitters. Zunino, Ackley and Smoak havent shown an ability to be consistent.

the right moves could get this team to 80 wins...it would need 4-5 10 mill a year players to achieve higher.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Unless the Ms are going to actually raise payroll to 120M+ and then actually spend it wisely, there isn't any way this team is going to be any good next year. They have basically Seager, a bunch of underachieving garbage, Felix, and Iwakuma. Overpaying Jacoby Ellsbury won't do much to change that.

i disagree, but only a little. there are bargains to be had out there, and many teams have paved the way to show that blueprint to be successful. last year there were 4-5 players who came in under 10 million who had outstanding seasons.

however, bringing in 1-2 of those players would boster the consistency through the lineup. Paxton and Walker i feel will be solid pitchers next season. maybe not great, but a significant upgrade over what we have.

that means we would need more production from younger hitters. Zunino, Ackley and Smoak havent shown an ability to be consistent.

the right moves could get this team to 80 wins...it would need 4-5 10 mill a year players to achieve higher.

I wonder what players that you have in mind, off the top of your head, as FA targets? Let's put what our budget probably will be aside (around 95-100M) and say that the Ms get serious about something other than making a profit and raise the budget significantly. Who do you think that we could get for 10-20M a year to achieve eighty wins? Just curious.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• I am well into the show me why I should care stage with this team. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks he over paid for players , some did well, others fizzled or did just fair. He kept investing in the team. Now it's one of the best and I suspect the team is worth a whole lot of green.

The Ms need to take a page out of his book of they want me to care again.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• We are going have to spend to keep our best hitter (morales) and at this point I am not sure its a good idea. I hear they are looking at Ellsbury, I do like that.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Morales is gone. There is a 95% chance that this is a one-year hire, but I guess if you're desperate enough, you have to take the job, don't you?

Here's to hoping he can get the hitters to pull their f'n heads out. Not optimistic. Ellsbury, and any other free agent, are completely wasted money unless we get a core around them. Build that young, cheap core, sell everything that isn't nailed down until you get it. There is one and only one model in MLB, and it isn't overpaying middling FA's to come to a bad team.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• How many years will he last before he gives up on the stupidity of what is known as the Mariners organization? I give him 2.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Morales is gone. There is a 95% chance that this is a one-year hire, but I guess if you're desperate enough, you have to take the job, don't you?

Here's to hoping he can get the hitters to pull their f'n heads out. Not optimistic. Ellsbury, and any other free agent, are completely wasted money unless we get a core around them. Build that young, cheap core, sell everything that isn't nailed down until you get it. There is one and only one model in MLB, and it isn't overpaying middling FA's to come to a bad team.

agree, but what is that model now though? it sure as hell isnt bursting the seams of the payroll ceiling. Tigers were the only real competitive team with a very high payroll. Sox have a high payroll, but wouldnt Mike Napoli, Sammalwhatever, etal be "middling FAs?"

I think the Cardinals and Rays are showing the way for long term success. It definately requires that your minor league produce star players, then surround them with good players. But neither of the World Series teams were filled with a host of "star" players (atleast star players in their prime).

This team needs to become relevant.. fast. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you run the team) 80 wins would mark relevancy. If they can extend the payroll a bit for 3-4 players like Morales to mix in with the kids they have, and that takes them to 80 wins, then its the first major step to revitalizing the organization since Cliff Lee was here

who those FAs are? not really sure. its not a great list.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Well boys, it takes a good seven years to build a team. Then another seven years to get to 90 wins?

It is a top notch baseball facility with an awesome board. I would like to have seen it designed to be more of a hitters park given

outside factors like weather, etc.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I feel sorry for Lloyd. He has to deal with the two turds in the upper front office who names shall not be spoken. At least they didn't hire little Joey Cora. It would have been insufferable listening to Rizz gush about him every game.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information