Update: Mariners to hire Lloyd McClendon as new manager

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Mariners seem to be getting closer to hiring a new manager.

Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that Tigers hitting coach and former Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon was in Seattle Sunday for a second interview with General Manager Jack Zduriencik.

And the Tacoma News Tribune reports former Mariner and White Sox bench coach Joey Cora interviewed with the team on Friday.

Oakland bench coach Chip Hale was reportedly in Seattle Monday for a second interview as well. Hale was finalist for the M’s skipper position when Don Wakamatsu was hired. He also has managerial experience in Triple A with Tucson

According to Johns, there are five finalists for the open job, including McClendon, Cora and Hale.

The other two are Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach and Padres bench coach Rick Renteria.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/11/04/mariners-n ... z2jjXC2RO6

Lithium

Reaction score
well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant

DHawk

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":kjc4ozbs said:
well im excited for the new possibilities but the problem is not the manager, its the GM and FO so its pretty irrelevant

:13:

When your GM sits down with the local sports writer and says "There are plenty of great things to do at Safeco other than watch Major League Baseball". You've got issues far deeper than a Manager.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Yeah. Hard to get excited about this. Even among optimists my optimism is waning.

I will be irrationally angry if they hire Joey Cora though. Such a Howard Lincoln thing to do.

Tical21

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing they're going to get anyone worth having to take this job for a year only to get fired by the GM we hire next season.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If only these guys knew what they were actually getting themselves into...

:stirthepot:

Laloosh

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":22im9m8k said:
If only these guys knew what they were actually getting themselves into...

:stirthepot:

First thing that came to mind for me when I read the title of the thread... "Who wants to coach for SEA?"

Blitzer88

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":1jbgtsow said:

100% agree with this. The FO of the Mariners is and has always been the problem of late. We won't have any success until there is a change there first and foremost.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
GoldenIsThyTate":3568ovok said:

Yep.

It starts with Armstrong and Lincoln prioritizing families having a nice time in Safeco over winning.

I wish we had just built a new arena for the Sonics and let the Mariners fend for themselves. Hindsight, I know, but we should have gone away from refurbishing the Key and just spent that Ms park money on the Sonics in the mid-'90s.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Well, at least maybe he will bend over less to the umpires than Wedge did.

Chapow

Reaction score
davidonmi":852slxaq said:
terrible hire, just terrrible

Why is it a terrible hire?

Who could they have gotten that would be able to turn this team around?

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hey, I already give the guy massive props for being willing to come into this debacle of an organization. Who else would?

jkitsune

Reaction score
davidonmi":2wi16mam said:
terrible hire, just terrrible

How can you even judge? We don't even really understand what makes a good manager, much less how to predict managerial success. I'm just glad they didn't hire Joey Cora.