Timbers vs Real Salt Lake

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Can any of you soccer guys give me a mini scouting report? I know they gave Portland some troubles during the regular season. I believe they have one of the better goal keepers in the league? What else do I need to know?

Smurf

Reaction score
Nick Rimando (GK) is impenetrable. One of the top keepers in the league for sure. Superb reflexes.

Midfielder Kyle Beckerman is their captain and controls the center part of the pitch. Expect Chara to have a busy game matching Beckerman.

Up front they have Javier Morales who is a wonderfully gifted midfielder. Getting up in years, but hes got touch and experience.

Alvaro Sabario is their best goal scoring threat up front. He's a good value DP. Lots of production for what they pay him. Behind him, Robbie Finley is a quick pacey forward. His touch is lacking. If he can get running you Gambian Towers in the back may be vulnerable. You also have to account for Joao Plata who is a creative forward/midfielder.

They are deep in the midfield. Ned Grabavoy, Luis Gil, Sebastian Valasquez can all play ball. They are good players.

On defense watch out for their centerback's Nat Borchers and Carlos Salcedo. Borchers is an experienced vet who is hard to get past. Salcedo is a rookie but has played really well to this point. It'll be interesting to see how Valeri and Nagbe can deal with them.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Welp, that's looking like the end of the season. Proud of this team, but RSL is just too far ahead of where PDX wants to be.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":390e8oz3 said:
Smurf":390e8oz3 said:
Such faith in your team at home....

That was at 4-1. I believe we can win now. Or die trying.

You're faith in your team amuses me.

Don't think you can win 3-0 at home...

Oh, 2-0...that'll be tough...

really? You don't think you can beat another team 3-0 at home when you are forced to come out guns blazing?

Baffling to me.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smurf":1y1eebz5 said:
Sarlacc83":1y1eebz5 said:
Smurf":1y1eebz5 said:
Such faith in your team at home....

That was at 4-1. I believe we can win now. Or die trying.

You're faith in your team amuses me.

Don't think you can win 3-0 at home...

Oh, 2-0...that'll be tough...

really? You don't think you can beat another team 3-0 at home when you are forced to come out guns blazing?

Baffling to me.

That's because your math sucks. The difference is 4-0 v. 3-0 to win. More importantly, it's the difference between what's more likely going to be a game where RSL scores another goal. So, you're talking 4-1 versus 5-1.

Also, forgive me for using the part of my brain which looks at things realistically. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

Edit: I've also watched this team against RSL 4x this year. We don't match up well with them. So maybe instead of tacitly judging my fandom, shut your piehole with this baffling talk?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sarlacc and I have faith in our team beating the Sounders. And that's the thing that needs to be remembered here.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30b6mqhe said:
You two are cute

Be fair now, you've reprimanded him (and other Sounders fans) far more often than I have. :th2thumbs:

And J is totally right.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
As I said in that other topic. They actually faced a team that could finish.

Smurf

Reaction score
Its the playoffs. If you don't believe you will win... What's the point.