World Cup Draw

Uncle Si

Reaction score
probably needs to be in the shack to discuss properly:

A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica, Italy (oh poor Roy)
E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France
F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herz, Iran, Nigeria
G: Germany, Ghana, US, Portugal (ummm, s***)
H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Top 2 teams from each group move on, correct?

I know Germany is traditionally one of the stronger teams. By your reaction i'm guessing that Portugal and Chile must be pretty elite as well?

Wait.. I just noticed you have Chile listed twice...

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2eeopjv1 said:
Top 2 teams from each group move on, correct?

I know Germany is traditionally one of the stronger teams. By your reaction i'm guessing that Portugal and Chile must be pretty elite as well?

Wait.. I just noticed you have Chile listed twice...

Yeah, its Ghana not Chile.

Top two teams advance.

Germany to me is the best team in the world. Portugal has the best player in the world, and Ghana has knocked the US out of the World Cup the last two times. Its not an ideal draw.

Having said that, the US style can play with Ghana and Portugal. Those are the two games we need to get results in (no less than a draw and a win).

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
This is an unfortunate bit of luck for the lads. Pretty much 3 'n out and thanks for coming to Brazil. Is the U.S. in basically the strongest group? Group D's pretty rugged. Chile and Oz don't have much chance of moving forward either. Groups E and C on the other hand seem pretty cakewalkey.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Here is my guess on which teams make it through to knockout stages.

Group A: Brazil, Croatia
Group B: Spain, Netherlands
Group C: Colombia, Japan
Group D: Italy, England
Group E: France, Switzerland
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia
Group G: Germany, United States
Group H: Belgum, Russia

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3fx3zbk9 said:
This is an unfortunate bit of luck for the lads. Pretty much 3 'n out and thanks for coming to Brazil. Is the U.S. in basically the strongest group? Group D's pretty rugged. Chile and Oz don't have much chance of moving forward either. Groups E and C on the other hand seem pretty cakewalkey.

its fairly subjective based on how you would assess the quality of Portugal and Ghana. While they are strong nations in name, they are not necessarily the top of the world rankings.

Ghana is a talented group, well coached, athletic and physical. Portugal... has Ronaldo (i'm actually really excited about this).

I think 4 points is enough (it usually always is) which means you're drawing and winning against Ghana and Portugal (take your pick as to which)

I feel that B, D, G and H are the groups that have atleast 3 teams that can make it out. G may be that hardest of 4, but the most competitive of three to me would be the Spain, Netherlands and Chile. One of those teams isnt advancing, and all three could be semi-finalists. Chile is very good.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yikes...U.S. is in a brutal group. They are improved but I don't believe at this point they can come out of that group. I believe Germany and Portugal will come from that group into the knockout stage.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well, just saw scroll across the bottom of the screen that the U.S. has a 39% chance of advancing out of the group based on something called the Soccer Power Index, or something like that.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hdo74ay said:
Well, just saw scroll across the bottom of the screen that the U.S. has a 39% chance of advancing out of the group based on something called the Soccer Power Index, or something like that.
Not bad... Better than a puncher's chance, that's for sure.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Everything hinges on the first game against Ghana. Win that and then the US can play for draws against Portugal and Germany and get through.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You have to beat Ghana first up to have any chance. At least then it puts a bit of pressure on the other two. But that is a brutal group and it'll be a major upset if Germany and Portugal don't advance.

I'm tempted to say never mind. Because the US and England have something in common. Neither of us has any chance what so ever of winning the World Cup.

Roll on the fixed Brazil vs Spain/Argentina final.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tough draw but we can get results against Ghana and Portugal it's Germany that's the killer but it is the team Klinsmen built so who knows? (We ruined Portugal in 1992 iirc).

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
JGreen79":1rkubiw0 said:
Not quite sure how you guys feel about the world rankings here http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html.. But I broke down the average ranking per group from those rankings.

G: 11.25
D: 14.25
C: 20.25
B: 21
E: 22.75
A: 24.5
F: 26.25
H: 28.25
Interesting. How useful and valid are those rankings, I wonder? Colombia ranked #4 seems... odd. Switzerland at #8 ahead of #10 Brazil? I raise eyebrows in your general direction, rankings!

I don't follow soccer closely enough to really know much, but I'd be interested in hearing from those who do.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FIFA rankings are a formula, much like the BCS. Teams earn points based on who they play, where and the result. The rankings compiled from last years world cup to right now. They are not a reflection of total points but an average points.

The Dutch dropped in their rankings by playing Indonesia this summer. That win gave them a bare minimum of points and thus dropped their average below Switzerland.

I will find the breakdown and repost. Its pretty interesting how Italy and the Dutch lowered their averages by scheduling lowly opponents in the summer.