Mariners to sign Cory Hart

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Atradees":1zbdy13g said:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/235440371.html

Injury risk guy but good player/hitter?

"Hart, 31, missed all of the 2013 season with a right knee injury. In 2012, the two-time All-Star hit .270/.334/.507 with 35 doubles, 30 homers and 83 RBI." Cbs sports..

Reliever Carter Capps traded for Outfeilder Logan Morrison

This is a good deal (in my opinion) low risk actually. only a one year deal, money's not bad. Can hit the ball well from the right side...

what it means for Smoak is yet to be seen. maybe he's part of a bigger deal.

edit:: appears he's coming in as the DH, so Smoak is safe in that regards.

second edit... didnt see the Logan Morrison trade. basically replaces Kendry Morales (for alot less I imagine) and adds the same type of player. Trading Capps is interesting. I see the next move being a fairly big name closer coming in.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Can't say there's anything bad about this deal. Only $5M guaranteed, up to $8M in incentives, which if met, makes it well worth it.

And then they trade Capps for Logan Morrison, which is kind of a head-scratcher but a low-risk move. I wonder if they're going to dump Smoak in a trade or put the two of them in the Thunderdome and let them fight to the death. Combined salary is about $1M for the two of them, so maybe it's a good move to keep both going into ST and see who comes out on top.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good risk if healthy he can hit and with good pop and is right handed. They also traded for another young power hitter so now if Kemp is too rich a trade (though I would love him if the price isn't ridiculous given he's an outfielder) I am okay with that. Now go get a frontline pitcher if possible.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ft5xdkc said:
Atradees":3ft5xdkc said:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/235440371.html

Injury risk guy but good player/hitter?

"Hart, 31, missed all of the 2013 season with a right knee injury. In 2012, the two-time All-Star hit .270/.334/.507 with 35 doubles, 30 homers and 83 RBI." Cbs sports..

Reliever Carter Capps traded for Outfeilder Logan Morrison

This is a good deal (in my opinion) low risk actually. only a one year deal, money's not bad. Can hit the ball well from the right side...

what it means for Smoak is yet to be seen. maybe he's part of a bigger deal.

edit:: appears he's coming in as the DH, so Smoak is safe in that regards.

second edit... didnt see the Logan Morrison trade. basically replaces Kendry Morales (for alot less I imagine) and adds the same type of player. Trading Capps is interesting. I see the next move being a fairly big name closer coming in.

A poor mans Morales? He was our best hitter. Which isn't saying much. So little talent available I was hoping we resigned KM.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Definately a similar hitter to Morales. The biggest difference is the terms. KM was going to command a larger salary and more years. So getting Hart on one year is a great signing. It also gives them the financial flexibility to continue pursuit of players like Nelson Cruz, Price, etc....

Something big is coming. Whether we like it has yet to be seen (says alot about Z that he gets Cano and now Hart and yet we still dont trust his next move)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This signing and trade for Morrison are not that bad, that's something you don't say much about moves the M's make.

getnasty

Reaction score
Still would like to see them sign Morales, doubt it will happen but I'll hold out hope.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Outfield":usd6hwyg said:
Would love to have Morales and Choo as well.

we need a CF. I know we went after Nelson Cruz. Fortunately he said no. Choo/Morales would work in a corner outfield. But I'd like to package Smoak and Ackely for a starting pitcher and defensive CF (Brett Gardner?)

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pyl9gza said:
The Outfield":1pyl9gza said:

we need a CF. I know we went after Nelson Cruz. Fortunately he said no. Choo/Morales would work in a corner outfield. But I'd like to package Smoak and Ackely for a starting pitcher and defensive CF (Brett Gardner?)
Smoak and ackley in a Yankee uniform and that line up. Ouch I'd say both would come in to some power at that stadium. And make another bad trade for the M's.

m0ng0

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":3oxvdws2 said:
Smoak and ackley in a Yankee uniform and that line up. Ouch I'd say both would come in to some power at that stadium. And make another bad trade for the M's.

:229031_confused2:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":3r5lv8vd said:
Uncle Si":3r5lv8vd said:
The Outfield":3r5lv8vd said:

I should clarify, you would send one of Smoak/Ackely and another piece for either a SP or Gardner. but given that, lets just say its both. Gardner is a far better hitter (leadoff hitter with some power, speed on the bases, etc.) as both of them, is a stud defensive outfielder and is under team control. Ackely is done as a Mariner (unless you really like his .220 BA and mediocre center field skills patrolling the lawn in Safeco). Cano has just taken 2nd base for the next 10 years. Smoak is... well Smoak.

Not sure how the two of them being good as Yankees somehow makes this bad for the Mariners. Both have been very unremarkable

chris98251

Reaction score
My worry as history has shown is that you move those two guys and they get a hitting coach that actually finds the flaw in what they are doing and bang All Stars. Been our history since I can remember. Ackely was a solid hitter till he came here, was doing well in Minors, same with Smoak.

Yeah Major league pitching is typically better but both initially hit up here and then fell off, Major League Pitching adjusted to them , they have not adjusted back. Usually that is a small thing as the chess match between hitters and pitching is always ongoing. One of the flaws of the Mariners over the years in my opinion. Good hitters have come in here and died also in trades. There is a reason and I don't know what it is. The hitters background argument has went away, they moved the fences in, what else?

Latest posts