Cardiff fans stand up for the coach

mikeak

Reaction score
Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

http://youtu.be/9j8dZT5Bpb0

20 minutes of don't sack Mackay or you will have riots on your hands

Refreshing compared to fans continuously wanting to fire the coach. Furthermore soccer fans passion will never (for both good and bad) be replicated....

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":19pcrcp8 said:
Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

Refreshing compared to fans continuously wanting to fire the coach. Furthermore soccer fans passion will never (for both good and bad) be replicated....

I disagree, fanatics of religion do it time and time again, Crusades are a good example. My opinion is soccer fans go way to far and many times it appears motivated beyond the game.

Certain Soccer fans have a ways to go to reach the top of the idiots scale, although it appears they will keep trying.

Great fan support and passion does not need to include beatings, firebombs, killings and threats of riots and or other forms of violence.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":rl4xd9zu said:
mikeak":rl4xd9zu said:

I disagree, fanatics of religion do it time and time again, Crusades are a good example. My opinion is soccer fans go way to far and many times it appears motivated beyond the game.

Certain Soccer fans have a ways to go to reach the top of the idiots scale, although it appears they will keep trying.

Great fan support and passion does not need to include beatings, firebombs, killings and threats of riots and or other forms of violence.

Idiotic...these aren't fans under political and economic repression... Don't mistake the two.

Just hard working hard singing fans who belted support for club and manager

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Great display by the Cardiff fans today. The team really poured their hearts into the second half for their manager.

Shame it won't change the mind of one of the more ridiculous owners in the PL

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":aex4po7r said:
chris98251":aex4po7r said:
mikeak":aex4po7r said:

Idiotic

I have no idea what his comments had to do with the topic at hand (Cardiffs fans position Mackay)....they are generic comments geared towards the soccer hooliganism that transpired over a decade ago...

I'm confused.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jd0il5o said:
chris98251":1jd0il5o said:
mikeak":1jd0il5o said:

Idiotic...these aren't fans under political and economic repression... Don't mistake the two.

So threats of riots is ok for fans?

Smurf

Reaction score
chris98251":2x1q86dx said:

Yes.

Stating passion via rash statements is sort of what soccer fans are known for.

now when they carry out what they say they will do...then thats bad...

I mean, the Sounders fans sing a song about taking the other team, lining them up on against a wall and shooting them....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":28frxfko said:
Uncle Si":28frxfko said:
chris98251":28frxfko said:
mikeak":28frxfko said:

Is that really what you think is going on there?

Come on...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":6q2xfjma said:

What does the Cardiff owner actually expect? I doubt they are going to do better with a different coach. The only time that has worked with mid to lower table teams is Southampton.

I think the Premiership is starting to eat itself. West Brom sack their coach who admittedly was having a bad run of form but still doing okay.

The Hull owner changing their name then the Cardiff manager changing their badge and shirt color.

I think these lower teams need to realize their level.

Mackay is quite right to sit tight and get a pay day. He's done nothing wrong and will go to another Premiership team.

As for Premiership fans- can they not come up with their own original songs and chants? Half them rip off songs Celtic fans started- that one Cardiff sang ripped off the Paddy McCourt version. Just can't get enough started with the green brigade and is used throughout now. Liverpool seem particularly bad for this.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I traveled around in Europe watching soccer back in the early 90s. Violence was on the downward then mainly due to some very tragic events at several stadiums. You can believe what you want about the violence but in general the passion for the team is awesome to watch and simply unbelievable to be a part of. My team played Barcelona at home and we had lost 3-1 away. We still sang for 90 minutes straight and cheered as our team played a 1-1 home. We could have made it close with some open misses but that wasn't the point. The point was the fans gave it all and respected the players for giving it all on the pitch.

The fans today did the same thing. Their team just lost and they sang throughout the game and post game to show their support. This is in a world where Alabama's kicker received death threats, twitter is full of hate speech and Coaches get run out of town if they don't win now.

That video gives me the chills and I couldn't respect them more

chris98251

Reaction score
I have read a lot of stories of Hooliganism and violence that are associated with soccer even recently. I don't think you need that in support of a sport anymore then going on riots for losing and winning in the NFL,NBA,MLB and NHL or any college level Championship.

That not team support in my book, nor is any of the stabbings and acts of violence and assault that are going on in American Football stadiums currently.

Police detain 19 involved in Brazil fan violence

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/19/3 ... rylink=cpy

Soccer violence: Referees under siege
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/14/sport/football/referee-violence-spain-football/index.html

Violence on the Field: History's Worst Sports Riots

http://www.livescience.com/18285-egypt-soccer-riots-worst-history.html

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If you were reading about hooliganism, or even if you actually read the articles you linked, you would have surely come to the conclusion that nearly all if these acts are reflections of gang/sectional/social/racial/religious conflicts. The football team is merely the identifier.

To compare the cultural conflict that led to the Egyptian disaster to Cardiff fans cheering their manager off is ludicrous and lacks even a basic understanding of hooliganism.

We can keep going (the cultural rights battles bring the under current of the Spanish riot.... The political repression in Brazil)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1q8q4yw0 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1q8q4yw0 said:
mikeak":1q8q4yw0 said:

What does the Cardiff owner actually expect? I doubt they are going to do better with a different coach. The only time that has worked with mid to lower table teams is Southampton.

I think the Premiership is starting to eat itself. West Brom sack their coach who admittedly was having a bad run of form but still doing okay.

The Hull owner changing their name then the Cardiff manager changing their badge and shirt color.

I think these lower teams need to realize their level.

Mackay is quite right to sit tight and get a pay day. He's done nothing wrong and will go to another Premiership team.

As for Premiership fans- can they not come up with their own original songs and chants? Half them rip off songs Celtic fans started- that one Cardiff sang ripped off the Paddy McCourt version. Just can't get enough started with the green brigade and is used throughout now. Liverpool seem particularly bad for this.

ffs wise up wee lad. Celtic fans - always the victim. Just like your sad wee club up there. Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Big Jock knew.

Always the victim lmao Very rich coming from a Liverpool fan! Your team has had nothing but excuses for the last 20 years. Just look at the Suarez incident.

I actually don't mind Liverpool fans though, always been a good bunch when playing Celtic. Newcastle fans by far the worst.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5xmsna1p said:
So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...

Comparing chalk and cheese. In American sports you always have a chance of being top dog with drafts and salary caps. Not really the case in European football unless you do a Chelsea or City and spunk billions at it. The best Cardiff can hope for is being an Everton type club but they'll never be as big as Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utds of the world. Heck im skeptical about Chelsea's place at the top once Ibramovich leaves.

It's not unreasonable to think that this year for Cardiff was about survival then next year being able to build on that. Mackay could have done that but their manager has no idea how to run a club. He gave Mackay a budget but didn't remember to include wages.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":arx9a7j6 said:
Uncle Si":arx9a7j6 said:

Comparing chalk and cheese. In American sports you always have a chance of being top dog with drafts and salary caps. Not really the case in European football unless you do a Chelsea or City and spunk billions at it. The best Cardiff can hope for is being an Everton type club but they'll never be as big as Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utds of the world. Heck im skeptical about Chelsea's place at the top once Ibramovich leaves.

It's not unreasonable to think that this year for Cardiff was about survival then next year being able to build on that. Mackay could have done that but their manager has no idea how to run a club. He gave Mackay a budget but didn't remember to include wages.

Still doesn't explain why the fans shouldn't care.. "Know their place" as you put it

I agree with you about Tan...but this is about the Cardiff fans singing at their owner pleading to keep a manager

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":35hmsc36 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":35hmsc36 said:
Uncle Si":35hmsc36 said:

Still doesn't explain why the fans shouldn't care.. "Know their place" as you put it

Will you ever hear a Hull fan say "This is our year boys!". You will in the Championship I guess. What I said is probably more aimed at the owners who panic at this time of year but some fans have unrealistic expectations. Go on the Newcastle forums. For a team who have essentially won nothing they act like they have won the league and Champions league numerous times.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Geordie fans gave their reasons. They believe Newcastle should be there with Spurs at the least.

But again, this was about Cardiff. You can passionately support a team with sights on promotion as much as one looking to top 4...

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1i2j89gc said:
If you were reading about hooliganism, or even if you actually read the articles you linked, you would have surely come to the conclusion that nearly all if these acts are reflections of gang/sectional/social/racial/religious conflicts. The football team is merely the identifier.

To compare the cultural conflict that led to the Egyptian disaster to Cardiff fans cheering their manager off is ludicrous and lacks even a basic understanding of hooliganism.

We can keep going (the cultural rights battles bring the under current of the Spanish riot.... The political repression in Brazil)

This X1000

chris98251

Reaction score
I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.