Mariners "favorites" to sign Tanaka

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Discuss...

20 million over 6-7 years or 10-15 for 4 years of Jimenez or Garza

He's 25....but obviously hasn't thrown a pitch to in the MLB.

Would do wonders for the Mariner rotation if he becomes anything close to Iwakuma

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Need Batters not pitchers.

Need OF's. Who is playing OF as of right now?

Carmon1274

Reaction score
If they take Tanaka, trade for Ichiro, solid D on RF. Give peanuts back to NY, and pay for Ichiro's 1 last year contract.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Carmon1274":1p666nte said:

We certainly need at least one if not two front line starters in the rotation..

We need another outfielder to be sure. But these moves are mutually exclusive. We are nearly certain to get one of those 3 pitchers

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3sbioav7 said:
Discuss...

20 million over 6-7 years or 10-15 for 4 years of Jimenez or Garza

He's 25....but obviously hasn't thrown a pitch to in the MLB.

Would do wonders for the Mariner rotation if he becomes anything close to Iwakuma
Nice to have, but would rather get a few more impact bats. Though its good to see the Mariners find their wallet this offseason. Just hope if they get this guy it doesn't lead to them trading Walker which is I'm afraid will happen.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Walker is definitely not going to be traded.

This rotation is goona be sick.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":fl2epnl3 said:

I hope not, but if they think he can bring in some quality sticks I can see them doing it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd rather they get Tanaka than David Price. At least with getting Tanaka means they didn't part with Walker or Paxton. That would be the dumbest move they did to trade some of their good young arms for an aging overpriced arm.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2yaerwfv said:
dontbelikethat":2yaerwfv said:

I hope not, but if they think he can bring in some quality sticks I can see them doing it.

I think Walker's potential is to much to let get away unless someone is willing to over pay.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I agree. But do you trust this group to get that back. I dont. Z's trades haven't been anything to write home about! Hopefully Walker is here for a long time.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Tanaka sweepstakes wouldn't impact their ability to sign bats. A distinct lack of bats dictate that. The payroll even with Cano is at under 80 mill or so. I can see some trades to get some hitting. But I think a Smoak, Ackely or Franklin more likely than Walker.

Really it would come to Tanaka or Garza/Jimenez.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27lsrxc1 said:
The Tanaka sweepstakes wouldn't impact their ability to sign bats. A distinct lack of bats dictate that. The payroll even with Cano is at under 80 mill or so. I can see some trades to get some hitting. But I think a Smoak, Ackely or Franklin more likely than Walker.

Really it would come to Tanaka or Garza/Jimenez.
I hope you are right.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I don't think the Ms are going to get close to Tanaka if the Yanks get serious. His contract is said to be way north of Darvish.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3axe3r83 said:
I don't think the Ms are going to get close to Tanaka if the Yanks get serious. His contract is said to be way north of Darvish.

I dont think the Ms will get to the same point as the Yanks. But there seems to be some other considerations (proximity to Japan, the Asian market on the West coast, Iwa being a former teammate).

thoughts are if the Ms are somewhat close it may be more than enough

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1rh6kkiw said:
I agree. But do you trust this group to get that back. I dont. Z's trades haven't been anything to write home about! Hopefully Walker is here for a long time.

:( Hopefully.

Atradees

Reaction score
It seems to me the M's have been touting a deep rotation for 4 or 5 years minimum. We keep losing games because "they" outscore us.

OK. Get Tanaka.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Atradees":3jmfp4bz said:
It seems to me the M's have been touting a deep rotation for 4 or 5 years minimum. We keep losing games because "they" outscore us.

OK. Get Tanaka.

Touting one yes, but the Ms rotation outside the top 2 has been very poor the last few years. Tanaka (Or Jimenez,Garza) Walker and an innings eater like Capoue would make this rotation one of the best in baseball.

It would be great to get bats but we just spent 25mill a year on the only free agent bat if any significance. To add to offense they will have to trade.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Carmon1274":2jftzaq3 said:

The OF market sucked this year. If they sign Tanaka, now they can ship Erasmo Ramirez or Paxton for an actual good OF that wasn't on the free market. Getting Tanaka makes it easier to swing a trade to get a OF using the surplus of pitching we have because it never was going to happen through FA this offseason.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":ahijgltk said:
Carmon1274":ahijgltk said:

The OF market sucked this year. If they sign Tanaka, now they can ship Erasmo Ramirez or Paxton for an actual good OF that wasn't on the free market. Getting Tanaka makes it easier to swing a trade to get a OF using the surplus of pitching we have because it never was going to happen through FA this offseason.

Absolutely... And actually signing any of Tanaka, Jimenez, Santana or Garza allows for this

Look for Paxton, Franklin Ackely Smoak to pop in trade rumours