M's sign Fernando Rodney 2 years 14million

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I think paying money to bullpen guys is silly when you churn them out cheap every year. Oh well, not my money.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigtrain21":22taz1rw said:
I think paying money to bullpen guys is silly when you churn them out cheap every year. Oh well, not my money.

Yeah, but closers are a different animal. Its a bit much, I agree, but the bullpen (believe it or not) is the biggest area of concern for the club.

7 mill isnt a whole lot for back end talent.

Still need a bat and another starter. Could be some trades coming.

OP
OP
m0ng0

m0ng0

Reaction score
We upgrade from the Bartender and it still does not make some of you happy, there is no salary cap remember? The team is making moves to win now, this is not what I had expected but I am liking it!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
m0ng0":255174yf said:
We upgrade from the Bartender and it still does not make some of you happy, there is no salary cap remember? The team is making moves to win now, this is not what I had expected but I am liking it!

I am a season ticket holder and I realize that there is no hard salary cap, but the team has a budget and this chews into that budget. I just personally don't like investing money in a closer especially when we have a history of churning out closers and good bullpen guys with no problem. I am not livid or angry about it, it just doesn't fall into my personal beliefs, that's all. He will definitely help. I am just not sure he will provide $7 mil of help in both seasons. I will root for him to succeed though of course.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":swkgfjf8 said:
bigtrain21":swkgfjf8 said:

Yeah, but closers are a different animal. Its a bit much, I agree, but the bullpen (believe it or not) is the biggest area of concern for the club.

You make some good points for sure. Rodney does worry me though. Why are his last two years so out of line with his previous years? His ERA hovered in the 4's for years and then .60 and 3.38. I hope he doesn't go back to what he was before 2012.

OP
OP
m0ng0

m0ng0

Reaction score
Yeah I am starting to have a little faith in the front office, they are spending money and plugging holes, could the death of Yamauchi had something to do with this?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigtrain21":xngr1ruu said:
Uncle Si":xngr1ruu said:
bigtrain21":xngr1ruu said:

You make some good points for sure. Rodney does worry me though. Why are his last two years so out of line with his previous years? His ERA hovered in the 4's for years and then .60 and 3.38. I hope he doesn't go back to what he was before 2012.

Control issues really. Always had the velocity. He had a record breaking 2012. Really good 2013.

He will always be a lump in your throat closer. But if his command doesn't fit the role you just slide Farquhar there and make him a set up guy...

Given Joe Nathan just got 10 mill a year this deal isn't bad at all

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3a3q4dw4 said:
Eh, it's an okay signing. Nothing to get hyped about.

I really hope they sign Jimenez and trade a Paxton-led package for a cost-controlled OF that can hit. You know, like we had with Adam Jones before we traded him. Yeah, I know that was a different regime.

we need bullpen help in a big way and just nabbed the best available free agent.

not saying we need to meet him at the airport, but its far from "okay"

I do think you're right though. we are either trading for a pitcher or a batter and signing a free agent of the other

sign Jimenez, trade for a batter. trade for Price, sign Cruz?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I want no part of Nelson Cruz. I'd rather just cross my fingers and run Almonte out there if need be. We need an outfielder that can play defense and also hit the baseball. Cruz is mediocre at hitting and downright awful in the field.

I would rather have let Farquhar close than give Rodney 7M a year to do it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":17gcfg3a said:
I want no part of Nelson Cruz. I'd rather just cross my fingers and run Almonte out there if need be. We need an outfielder that can play defense and also hit the baseball. Cruz is mediocre at hitting and downright awful in the field.

I'm not a fan of Cruz, and he just adds to the logjam of players who dont play outfield, but Cruz can hit... i mean if he comes in at 8 mil for 2 years, whats the problem? (or, better yet, the team needs another bat, so whose left?)

Rodney posted a .63 ERA in 2012. under 3 for most of 2013. He's a quality signing for a team that wants to complete. Regardless of whether he's in the 8th or 9th inning, its a solid signing. 7 million is pretty good (unless ofcourse you're paying it, which i dont think you are...)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1igte799 said:
Smelly McUgly":1igte799 said:

I'm not a fan of Cruz, and he just adds to the logjam of players who dont play outfield, but Cruz can hit... i mean if he comes in at 8 mil for 2 years, whats the problem? (or, better yet, the team needs another bat, so whose left?)

Rodney posted a .63 ERA in 2012. under 3 for most of 2013. He's a quality signing for a team that wants to complete. Regardless of whether he's in the 8th or 9th inning, its a solid signing. 7 million is pretty good (unless ofcourse you're paying it, which i dont think you are...)

Re: Cruz, I don't think he's angling for 2/8M, or I could live with it. I think he's angling for more like 2/22M. I guess it's a wait-and-see thing, but one of Hart/LoMo/Cruz is going to have to play the outfield in a park that, even with the walls in, relies on outfielders with range to chase down those long fly balls. If Gutierrez gets hurt (which he will, more than likely), we are utterly SCREWED defensively out there. We have too many DH types that just cannot field already.

Re: Rodney, it's not my money, but we do have a team budget, no? This 7M for next year might block us from getting a strong OF FA when we need one. Still, you have a more than fair point that Rodney's cost is not bad considering what Joe Nathan got.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
meant 8 mill a year for 2 years. no, he doesnt solve defensive problems. Really i'm not sure who will for us (or where that player may come from)

We have a team budget. we also just signed one of the biggest contracts in history, have made 3 other significant moves, seem to be angling for others. We are across the street from a world championship football team. the city is poised. there is talent there.

Rodney on his own looks like an ok signing.

Rodney in the greater scheme of what is happening at Safeco and around Seattle means a bit more I think

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I don't know that I agree with you, Si, but I definitely see where you are coming from. You know, if the Ms make a couple more moves and end up with an outfielder that can hit and plays strong defense and a strong #3 starter, and then all the young guys develop this year, you are right that I will look back at the Rodney signing and see that it was a good move to get a competitive team into the playoffs.

Right now, I'm just looking for the Ms to be in the playoff hunt come September. Meaningful late-season baseball would be a huge step for me. At the same time, if they can get into that 85-87 win talent range before the season, some good luck (for once) could generate five or six more wins and help us snag a wild card. I just don't see the Rodney move as mattering for either of those goals unless the Ms have about two or three more tricks up their sleeves.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3odn8swz said:
I don't know that I agree with you, Si, but I definitely see where you are coming from. You know, if the Ms make a couple more moves and end up with an outfielder that can hit and plays strong defense and a strong #3 starter, and then all the young guys develop this year, you are right that I will look back at the Rodney signing and see that it was a good move to get a competitive team into the playoffs.

Right now, I'm just looking for the Ms to be in the playoff hunt come September. Meaningful late-season baseball would be a huge step for me. At the same time, if they can get into that 85-87 win talent range before the season, some good luck (for once) could generate five or six more wins and help us snag a wild card. I just don't see the Rodney move as mattering for either of those goals unless the Ms have about two or three more tricks up their sleeves.

if you're into statistics thing, he's somewhere around +2 WAR. the team as whole, as of now, is set for 82-84 wins.

Rodney adds a win or two, but he also means really poor players are not pitching in key moments, which makes him worth even more. Our bullpen is (was) that bad

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I hope he can hit and play in the outfield too.

OP
OP
m0ng0

m0ng0

Reaction score
Maybe the new owner (whomever that is now) wants to win and is willing to spend money to do so, so therefore they are signing guys to fill all these holes, maybe they have a much larger budget then they had in years past?

Msfann

Reaction score
m0ng0":1snjf89c said:
Maybe the new owner (whomever that is now) wants to win and is willing to spend money to do so, so therefore they are signing guys to fill all these holes, maybe they have a much larger budget then they had in years past?

Nintendo has owned the shares since 2004. nothing is really going to change with that for now.

Latest posts