2014 Seattle Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Seattle Mariners
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:45 pm
  • inb4 unrealistic preseason excitement
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:32 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Gotta keep Montero, unless McClendon really wants to use him as an example, but that kind of thing isn't always well received in baseball. Our hitting prospect cupboard is quite bare again, and we need to hold onto any prospect with upside that have, because there aren't many.

We really need Kendrys. I'm terrified of what is going to surround Seager and Cano. Kendrys makes us pretty formidable in the middle, which we haven't been in about ten years. I don't like to pay free agents, but I think Kendrys is pretty safe, although somewhat redundant.

Agree on Kendry...would rather package Franklin for a pitcher or outfielder (and grab Santana) and bring morales in

Also...two teams actually played baseball today. One was Seattle. They beat the other 7-1. Living in Minnesota where the wind chill was -(that little mark over to the left means negative) 25 I find the thought of baseball bring played hopeful

I don't want to trade Franklin. I don't think we can afford to trade any upside player whatsoever, at least until we are completely sold that Miller is the guy. How stupid would it be to trade Franklin, watch him hit 20 homers every year, while we watch Brad Miller flame out and hit .220 with 4 HR's? I'll let them compete, and may the best man win the job. It isn't like we're going to get anything of value for Franklin. We're still in the position of needing to add to the young core, not add to the aging list of vets.

We have to commit to one and let the other go..unless Franklin can transition to the outfield. This team needs to compete soon and sitting on prospects doesn't help.

I like Franklin. I like him more than Smoak and Ackely. But he's also our most tradeable asset
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 pm
  • Tical doesn't want to miss on a possible prospect. I understand, but that's not reality. We have too many average middle infielders and no outfielders. TRADE EM ALL!
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 am
  • My goal is to get to the World Series eventually, not win 84 right away. If you honestly think our team is good enough right now to unload all the bullets in our gun, then you trade Franklin. I don't think we're there. Heck, I don't even think we're anywhere close. Our #1 biggest need is young offensive talent. Pick one out of Miller and Franklin and go? Go where? Franklin has as much potential as just about anybody we've got. Not the kind of guy a young team that has been bad for a decade has the luxury of trading for a subpar outfielder or #4 pitcher.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:19 am
  • Tical21 wrote:My goal is to get to the World Series eventually, not win 84 right away. If you honestly think our team is good enough right now to unload all the bullets in our gun, then you trade Franklin. I don't think we're there. Heck, I don't even think we're anywhere close. Our #1 biggest need is young offensive talent. Pick one out of Miller and Franklin and go? Go where? Franklin has as much potential as just about anybody we've got. Not the kind of guy a young team that has been bad for a decade has the luxury of trading for a subpar outfielder or #4 pitcher.

Our number one biggest need is definitely not young talent. We've had loads of that for the last 4-5 years.

At some point you have to use that talent on the field or in bringing in other players. Franklin and Miller both play the same position (sort of, Franklins not really a ss)

You're advocating wasting another of Cano and Felixs prime years sitting on prospects. This team can't do it. Not anymore. Move Franklin to the outfield or package him for what you do need
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:39 pm
  • Franklin is as an exciting prospect as we have had. I say keep em.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 pm
  • No reason to keep Franklin. He is blocked at second and can't play short. Always trade surplus in exchange for where you are deficient.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:15 am
  • Baker seemed to pitch well yesterday. That's good since we're missing Walker and Iwakuma.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:10 pm
  • Did you all read Cano's comments regarding free agency? That's a rockin way to force hand!

[url]http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10541742/robinson-cano-says-seattle-mariners-need-extra-bat
    [/url]

love this guy already...
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:12 pm
  • Atradees wrote:Did you all read Cano's comments regarding free agency? That's a rockin way to force hand!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10541742/robinson-cano-says-seattle-mariners-need-extra-bat

love this guy already...

Just read that article. Love that he's not afraid to voice his opinion on what the team needs. Since the front office doesn't listen to the fanbase, maybe they'll listen to their new star when he says the team should sign Morales and Santana.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 pm
  • Howard ain't going to like that. That's the kind of talk that ushered Lou out the door a decade ago.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 pm
  • Seriously, at this point, sign Santana at the very least and call it a day. I am fine with Morales coming back, but only if one of Hart/LoMo ends up useless.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 pm
  • Trade Franklin for an outfielder, give Santana a bit of money.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 am
  • I'd wager that trading for A-Roid right now would get more fans in the seats than Robinson Cano OR Ervin Santana. Any chance we could get Pete Carroll and John Schneider to lecture the Mariners brass on creating a successful organization? :sarcasm_off:
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:54 pm
  • Nice to see Cano speaking out. And he is right! The M's need another righty bat.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Nice to see Cano speaking out. And he is right! The M's need another righty bat.

I
    He's right but wrong for saying it... This isn't the NBA
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 pm
  • I'm going to believe that Ackley has everything figured out even if it's just Spring Training and these results typically mean almost nothing when the regular season hits. You know why? Because what does it hurt to believe, dammit.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm
  • Ackley fixed it last year I believe. He was clearly doing something wrong mechanically and that was his hips were moving away from the plate when he was swinging. When he came back towards the end of the year that was fixed. I need to see him hit again this year to see if it was just an accidental fix or they definitely figured it out since I have never seen it mentioned by anyone but myself but I have high hopes for him as long as that is fixed.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:48 am
  • bigtrain21 wrote:Ackley fixed it last year I believe. He was clearly doing something wrong mechanically and that was his hips were moving away from the plate when he was swinging. When he came back towards the end of the year that was fixed. I need to see him hit again this year to see if it was just an accidental fix or they definitely figured it out since I have never seen it mentioned by anyone but myself but I have high hopes for him as long as that is fixed.

Very good point, he had a nice end to the year.

Been a good start to the spring. Only Ramirez has disappointed thus far. Almonte looks the part in the field. needs to start hitting. but in all honesty i'm fine having a "Brendan Ryan" patrolling the deep shadows of Safeco
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:29 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:Ackley fixed it last year I believe. He was clearly doing something wrong mechanically and that was his hips were moving away from the plate when he was swinging. When he came back towards the end of the year that was fixed. I need to see him hit again this year to see if it was just an accidental fix or they definitely figured it out since I have never seen it mentioned by anyone but myself but I have high hopes for him as long as that is fixed.

I'm (cautiosly) optimistic about Ackley. Last year he was screwed if the pitcher threw anything on the outer half of the plate. I know it's only spring training but I'd much rather he be off to the start he currently has opposed to looking like crap.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:11 am
  • I am also cautiously optimistic on ackley. I think he can breakout this year but he needs to show me.
    A guy being written off is Saunders and I think with better coaching he could also improve. His problem has always been approach, he takes way too many pitches and doesn't attack the ball
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Nice to see Cano speaking out. And he is right! The M's need another righty bat.

I
    He's right but wrong for saying it... This isn't the NBA

Normally I would agree, but the Ms brass has needed a kick in the pants since Lou left.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am
  • davidonmi wrote:I am also cautiously optimistic on ackley. I think he can breakout this year but he needs to show me.
    A guy being written off is Saunders and I think with better coaching he could also improve. His problem has always been approach, he takes way too many pitches and doesn't attack the ball

Honestly, I'm more worried about Ackely as an outfielder than anything else. I think he will come good at the plate (atleast wont be awful).

Almonte and now James Jones seem to be making a push to also take an outfield spot (or two). A little light in the bat, but both can cover ground out there.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:41 pm
  • Felix Hernandez remains the club’s No. 1 starter. He is followed by Erasmo Ramirez, James Paxton, Roenis Elias and the recently acquired Chris Young.

Young looked good! This rotation has good potential. I will risk getting excited. Miller, Ackley, Cano, Elias, Romero, it could be a good team.

All you need is good pitchin.....

Hart has not looked good. Sadness.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:16 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:I am also cautiously optimistic on ackley. I think he can breakout this year but he needs to show me.

That and his swing gets wayyyyyy to long and loopy. When he is hitting well his swing is shorter. Unfortunately that long loopy swing is his default setting not the exception.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm
  • That too. He needs to do a lot but the talent is there, he still doesn't have his hands back and his swing is still too long.
    I would cut bait l
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 am
  • Opening Day is here! Let's go Ms!
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am
  • Lets go Halos!
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am
  • The Ms are mathematically out of the postseason already.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:15 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:The Ms are mathematically out of the postseason already.

well... this year they are projected to be within a couple games of the top spot.

It should be an interesting year for the Ms and their fans. If they can survive April, get their rotation in order and get a bit more from certain young players (Ackely, Zunino, Franklin... and sure, Smoak) and the continuing development of Seager and Miller we could be watching meaningul baseball in August.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:The Ms are mathematically out of the postseason already.

well... this year they are projected to be within a couple games of the top spot.

It should be an interesting year for the Ms and their fans. If they can survive April, get their rotation in order and get a bit more from certain young players (Ackely, Zunino, Franklin... and sure, Smoak) and the continuing development of Seager and Miller we could be watching meaningul baseball in August.

Thats the same song and dance going into almost every season. The only diffence between this year is the fact that they have Cano. He is batting in a line up with no one around him so, I dont expect much of a difference. On top of that having Iwkuma and Walker out isnt helping matters. Its the same old sorry arsed Ms.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:The Ms are mathematically out of the postseason already.

Thats the same song and dance going into almost every season. The only diffence between this year is the fact that they have Cano. He is batting in a line up with no one around him so, I dont expect much of a difference. On top of that having Iwkuma and Walker out isnt helping matters. Its the same old sorry arsed Ms.

well its just not the same old song and dance.... but you're welcome to believe it is. A better Seager, Ackely, Iwa than was projected last year, including better options such as Hart and LoMo, high projections for Miller, and ofcourse Cano.

This teams projected win total is far closer to playoff contention than it has been in years. Aware of whose missing, thus the "surviving April" part.

Dont quite care if you're on board or not. But it doesnt take much to see the difference right now
    Im not saying we're going to make the playoffs. but theirs obviously reasons to be a bit more excited than anything this team has put out over the last few years
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:42 pm
  • I say this as one of the most disgruntled fans around so it's not like I just am blindly hopeful but I am looking forward to the Mariners season for the first time in years and it really has nothing to do with Cano. Some of the young pitching we have is finally going to reach the rotation and we have a young nucleus of bats that are starting to mature as well.

I wish we would add one more bat. I would like to add Morales but it seems like he is willing to wait until June 1st to sign with someone so we don't get a draft pick.

I go into this year just wanting to see them grow and compete this year and next year I expect them to win. If it happens a year early it would be great, but isn't going to determine whether I enjoy the season.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:03 pm
  • Insanity
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Insanity

You aren't really offering up much in the way of opinions. You don't like the Mariners, we get it.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 pm
  • What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.

No one has been a bigger critic of the Mariners than me, trust me. I have been pissed at them mainly because of Bill Bavasi who set back the organization for years with stupid contracts. They Mariners spent money but they didn't spend it wisely. My least favorite was the incredibly stupid 4 year 48 million dollar contract to Carlos Silva which still boggles my mind. There was a huge mess to clean up.

The reason I feel promise is we are adding 2 promising pitchers to our rotation this year in Walker and Paxton. Both have been in the top 25 prospects in all of baseball. When you add them to Felix and Iwakuma along with Ramirez it is not that bad of a rotation. Definitely should be fun to watch and Paxton and Walker have electric stuff.

On offense we added Cano which should help quite a bit and we should get a better Seager, Ackley, Miller, & Zunino since they wull all be a year older. It has the makings of a cheap nucleus even when you include Cano's salary since the other 4 are cheap.

They should be significantly more fun to watch, that's for sure. I don't blame you for being down on them, but there is some promising things going on and I don't just say that as a biased fan. I really have been down on the Mariners just as much as you have.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.

And the top 2 starters in the AL...and Cano. And a better Seager, a very improved Miller, a better bullpen..

I mean have you paid much attention to their off season and spring training or is this just an annual "Ms suck" ritual for you?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm
  • Love the optimism uncle si, there will be plenty of time to complain, but for now let's just enjoy the beginning of spring and a blank slate.
    At least this year there isn't a clear cut favorite in the west due to injuries to the a's and the rangers
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm
  • Mike Trout continues his dominance over King Felix with a two run home run in the bottom of the first. I am not looking forward to playing against him for the next decade.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.

And the top 2 starters in the AL...and Cano. And a better Seager, a very improved Miller, a better bullpen..

I mean have you paid much attention to their off season and spring training or is this just an annual "Ms suck" ritual for you?

We can revisit this in July. Spring ball is no barometer. They still suck defensively and none of the guts outside Cano have proven to be consistent hitters. Im giving points and you choose to ignore them. Thats okay. I dont see where you are getting your target projection from and thats okay.
    Last edited by Subzero717 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm
  • Its opening day ffs...if you can't get excited about that than what's the point of discussing it in July?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 pm
  • There is nothing to be excited about!!!
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:There is nothing to be excited about!!!

Enjoy your summer off then
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:There is nothing to be excited about!!!

Then I suspect, and hope, that you will no longer be posting in Seattle Mariner threads since you have nothing more to offer to the discussion.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm
  • Nope. I will be back.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:49 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Nope. I will be back.

Like a herpes outbreak, or genital warts.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:52 pm
  • Like optomistic Mariner fans on opening day.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Like optomistic Mariner fans on opening day.

Like MRSA
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 pm
  • Good to see the M's battle back against Weaver, come on get the King a W.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information