2014 Seattle Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Seattle Mariners
Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:Cruz is a completely different issue, we sign or don't sign cruz because of his bat.
    With the Guti injury we need a guy with veratility in the OF, Andres Torres please

Cruz was a bit more than a bat. he plays the outfield... better than Hart and LoMo (which granted isnt saying much). why give time to a player like Torres (who is what, 35?) when you can use Almonte?

With Cruz, our outfield now looks like: Saunders-Ackely-Cruz-Almonte with Hart/LoMo taking situational duties at times
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm
  • Just trade for Alejandro de Aza, Matt Kemp, or Joc Pedersen, please.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 pm
  • CrimsonWazzu wrote:So long Guti.

His IBS has taken him out of 2014.

I stopped considering him a member of the team back in '12.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:Cruz is a completely different issue, we sign or don't sign cruz because of his bat.
    With the Guti injury we need a guy with veratility in the OF, Andres Torres please

Cruz was a bit more than a bat. he plays the outfield... better than Hart and LoMo (which granted isnt saying much). why give time to a player like Torres (who is what, 35?) when you can use Almonte?

With Cruz, our outfield now looks like: Saunders-Ackely-Cruz-Almonte with Hart/LoMo taking situational duties at times

crus is a terrible defensive OF, and if Saunders ig oing through one of his extended slumps we need someone who can play CF, I guess almonte would work
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:22 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:Cruz is a completely different issue, we sign or don't sign cruz because of his bat.

crus is a terrible defensive OF, and if Saunders ig oing through one of his extended slumps we need someone who can play CF, I guess almonte would work

Cruz isnt "terrible"... he's not great, but he's far more serviceable than people give credit for.

I'm not advocating for Cruz by the way. I'm just not alarmed if we do sign him. I'd prefer Smelly's approach, trade Franklin and another AA piece for one of Alejandro de Aza, Matt Kemp, or Joc Pedersen and sign Jimenez
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:31 pm
  • ^ agree 100% on De Aza
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Cruz isnt "terrible"... he's not great, but he's far more serviceable than people give credit for.

I'm not advocating for Cruz by the way. I'm just not alarmed if we do sign him. I'd prefer Smelly's approach, trade Franklin and another AA piece for one of Alejandro de Aza, Matt Kemp, or Joc Pedersen and sign Jimenez

Alejandro de Aza? Oh god. That guy is as bad at the plate as he is in the field. I think Jimenez isn't a bad deal, you know he has the upside of being great but he would have to be on a contract similar to what Guti had gotten.

Would like to see Kemp in a Mariners jersey but I'd take Pedersen before him.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:53 pm
  • How is de aza terrible? Career 275 and he was almost a
    20/20 player this year
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:48 pm
  • He was a -.3 WAR last year. Almost had as many Ks as H.

Also a -2.1 dWAR
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 pm
  • He was worth 2.2 WAR last year according to Fangraphs.

Almost as many Ks as hits? He'll fit right in on this team!

Anyway, a 2-2.5 WAR CF should be (relatively) cheap in trade.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:14 pm
  • look he isn't great, but terrible is michael saunders, we've seen terrible. He isn't terrible. He's servicable
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:04 am
  • Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 am
  • jkitsune wrote:Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.

They are overstocked with people who hold bats and can't play the field. I don't know if we-re overstocked with 'hitters' though.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 pm
  • I would rather have Kemp not Cruz...To the wins I'd say 70-80..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:20 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.

They are overstocked with people who hold bats and can't play the field. I don't know if we-re overstocked with 'hitters' though.

Touché sir.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.

considering the money it took BAL to sign him it may have been a good pass, they have to get someone and santana is the only one left
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 pm
  • Last year was just so painful to watch. I still haven't recovered fully.

I would be crazy happy to just be above .500 this year. Year after year we get close but then pack it up at the end.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am
  • Honestly, Seattle should have gone 4/52 for Jimenez if need be assuming they are serious about winning and the budget reflects that. Ervin Santana is a step down. I don't really know what these guys are going to do here. They need another outfielder and another starting pitcher. A trade will net one, but not the other. I doubt there are two trades coming.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm
  • Santana will be cheaper for sure, my guy was always arroyo.
    Santana also may not be a step down both had bad 2011 and 2012's but both bounced back in 2013 now clearly what Jimenez did prior to that is impressive but I don't know. If they don't sign anyone it proves how inept they are
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:Santana will be cheaper for sure, my guy was always arroyo.
    Santana also may not be a step down both had bad 2011 and 2012's but both bounced back in 2013 now clearly what Jimenez did prior to that is impressive but I don't know. If they don't sign anyone it proves how inept they are

Capuano in the mix as well. I wouldnt be surprised to see them get both. Still think a trade is coming, maybe 2. I liked the idea of Santana over Jimenez before Iwakuma got hurt. I guess its only a month though

Ms fans are funny, we've signed Cano (wow! seriously), Hart (him alone would have been a significant addition), LoMo, a decent back up catcher, Guti (unfortunately that didnt work out) and Scott Baker...We forget how strong Alonte, Ackely, Miller and Zunino looked to end the season last year.

and yet, we're still an "inept" 70 win team if we dont suddenly make up for Iwakuma and Guti gettng hurt?

come on folks.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:54 pm
  • I hope I didn't sound panicky in my criticism. I just think that we have two high-level tradeable pieces - Paxton and Franklin - that probably will have to be packaged together to get the return we want/need at either SP or OF. I mean, we could trade Walker, but I don't see that happening.

If they get Santana, who I'm not thrilled about, that at least does make sense and mean that we can focus on a trade for an outfielder.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope I didn't sound panicky in my criticism. I just think that we have two high-level tradeable pieces - Paxton and Franklin - that probably will have to be packaged together to get the return we want/need at either SP or OF. I mean, we could trade Walker, but I don't see that happening.

If they get Santana, who I'm not thrilled about, that at least does make sense and mean that we can focus on a trade for an outfielder.

no, I get it. For me its a different approach. i think this team is closer to 85 wins than 80. closer to 90 than 70. for me I want Santana, capuano and a trade (I see Franklin/Smoak being the tradable pieces) for a good outfielder because of the promise the team has.

Cano is in his first year of this mega deal. Seager and Miller look to be break out stars. Zunino and Ackely can perform their positions well as young players. Walker could be Pineda. The King is the King.

I just want the Ms to take advantage of what they have by giving them the 2-3 additional pieces it would take to really make a push
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope I didn't sound panicky in my criticism. I just think that we have two high-level tradeable pieces - Paxton and Franklin - that probably will have to be packaged together to get the return we want/need at either SP or OF. I mean, we could trade Walker, but I don't see that happening.

I'm not thrilled about Santana either, he the model of inconsistency in la. However they need someone who will give them 200 innings and will maintain an ERA around 4 if not better.
    Franklin will be trades if they want to go franklin smoak and maybe erasmo Ramirez they could get a good of IMO, if they accomplish both I could see 85 wins and maybe 90 if they get lucky, but in baseball it's hard to go from
    71 to 90 wins overnight
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 pm
  • Montero showed up 40 pounds overweight. Dudes done.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm
  • Yep, 40 pounds , just unreal.
    The only way to salvage his career is sending him to a ball and humiliating him, even then it's unlikely.

Capuano is off the board now, which is fine very reminiscent of joe Saunders who sucked last year.
    What are they waiting for on Santana? They need a pitcher and I think getting away from LA is what he needed to become a solid #3 guy.
    Give up the draft pick and make the move, and then make a trade for an of, this offseason is good so far but incomplete
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm
  • Guys, he's just cultivating mass.

bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 pm
  • 40 pounds overweight? Now his "wall singles" will turn into "wall outs". Guy seems to have zero motivation!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:19 pm
  • You would think after last season where he showed up out of shape, played like $h!t, got demoted, got injured, and was ultimately suspended that he would bust his ass and come in wanting to prove something this season. Obviously that isn't the case.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 am

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 pm
  • He's so fat...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:19 pm
  • He is REALLY fat. And he was already SOOOOOO slow! He's done. Go back and eat buddy. I had high hopes for him too.

All this outfield talk. Can't Willie play the outfield?

They've got to try to get a mid-level prospect or reliever for Franklin. The idea that they are going to get anything at all for Franklin or Smoak or any combination just isn't realistic. If you want anything, you've got about three guys you can move. Besides that, we are praying for Ackley, Seager, Almonte, Zunino, Miller and the young pitchers to get us there. If they don't, it is another 5-7 years to rebuild the system again. All our talent is on the big club now. It is now or never. Unfortunately, personally, I don't think they have nearly enough talent to be competitive. There are just way too many players that aren't good enough. There are a bunch of teams out there where Cano, Seager and Hart are the only guys that would crack their lineups. Hopefully Lloyd can make it click for a couple guys.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:04 pm
  • Bloomquist is a scrub, not an everyday player, he's never been an everyday player ability wise.
    If WB is a starter your team is in huge trouble.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:12 pm
  • I'm not mad overthrow Cruz thing, he realizes he needs a hitters ballpark to avoid falling off a cliff so he ran to
    Camden yards. Would've been an awful investment for Seattle.
    Why is Santana still not a mariner though?
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:39 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:He is REALLY fat. And he was already SOOOOOO slow! He's done. Go back and eat buddy. I had high hopes for him too.

All this outfield talk. Can't Willie play the outfield?

They've got to try to get a mid-level prospect or reliever for Franklin. The idea that they are going to get anything at all for Franklin or Smoak or any combination just isn't realistic. If you want anything, you've got about three guys you can move. Besides that, we are praying for Ackley, Seager, Almonte, Zunino, Miller and the young pitchers to get us there. If they don't, it is another 5-7 years to rebuild the system again. All our talent is on the big club now. It is now or never. Unfortunately, personally, I don't think they have nearly enough talent to be competitive. There are just way too many players that aren't good enough. There are a bunch of teams out there where Cano, Seager and Hart are the only guys that would crack their lineups. Hopefully Lloyd can make it click for a couple guys.

Guess he found out the ugly truth. When you use steroids, but don't actually workout, you just get fat.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 am
  • I agree with the cut Montero crowd. he sucked when he was on roids and weighed less and now he's going to have to lose the weight AND learn to not play like crap.

He's a waste of a roster spot.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:56 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:I'm not mad overthrow Cruz thing, he realizes he needs a hitters ballpark to avoid falling off a cliff so he ran to
    Camden yards. Would've been an awful investment for Seattle.
    Why is Santana still not a mariner though?

Yep, lately I was thinking how the Cruz to Seattle thing can be a disaster. If he is off the juice I could see Safeco eating him alive. He is the product of roids/HGH and small ballparks, and he knows this. Sometimes the best deals are the ones that didn't happen.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 pm
  • Cruz didnt pan out for us. Morales should be an option. He can hit. We can afford him.
    3 years and 24 million with a fourth year option.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm
  • While I would prefer Morales as well... There is now no need for three years. I can see us getting morales and Santana for 18-22 mil combined (per year) for two years
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:00 pm
  • I am glad we dodged the Nelson Cruz bullet. I would rather just have Morales back.

However, I doubt that Corey Hart should be counted on in the OF. We at least need someone to platoon with Hart in LF. If Abraham Almonte shows something this spring, maybe he can spell all three OF positions?

I miss Mark McLemore. Can he still play?
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm
  • I totally disagree with the cut montero crowd, we aren't paying him anything just send him down and if that doesn't work you can always cut him later. He still has potential just send him down. This isn't football where you have only 53 spots and no minor leagues
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 am
  • davidonmi wrote:I totally disagree with the cut montero crowd, we aren't paying him anything just send him down and if that doesn't work you can always cut him later. He still has potential just send him down. This isn't football where you have only 53 spots and no minor leagues

He's a waste of money. No desire to be good. Putting him in the minor leagues is taking up a spot from a kid who wants to play.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:36 pm
  • How close is Romero to being up on the big club?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:How close is Romero to being up on the big club?

Well he was in Tacoma last year so I'm assuming when they feel he's ready. Not to mention he's a 4 year college kid, he should have been up by now.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:45 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:How close is Romero to being up on the big club?

Well he was in Tacoma last year so I'm assuming when they feel he's ready. Not to mention he's a 4 year college kid, he should have been up by now.

If we dont add anything to the outfield I would assume he's on the fringe of breaking camp with the big squad. good defensive outfielder and can hit
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm
  • Gotta keep Montero, unless McClendon really wants to use him as an example, but that kind of thing isn't always well received in baseball. Our hitting prospect cupboard is quite bare again, and we need to hold onto any prospect with upside that have, because there aren't many.

We really need Kendrys. I'm terrified of what is going to surround Seager and Cano. Kendrys makes us pretty formidable in the middle, which we haven't been in about ten years. I don't like to pay free agents, but I think Kendrys is pretty safe, although somewhat redundant.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Gotta keep Montero, unless McClendon really wants to use him as an example, but that kind of thing isn't always well received in baseball. Our hitting prospect cupboard is quite bare again, and we need to hold onto any prospect with upside that have, because there aren't many.

We really need Kendrys. I'm terrified of what is going to surround Seager and Cano. Kendrys makes us pretty formidable in the middle, which we haven't been in about ten years. I don't like to pay free agents, but I think Kendrys is pretty safe, although somewhat redundant.

Agree on Kendry...would rather package Franklin for a pitcher or outfielder (and grab Santana) and bring morales in

Also...two teams actually played baseball today. One was Seattle. They beat the other 7-1. Living in Minnesota where the wind chill was -(that little mark over to the left means negative) 25 I find the thought of baseball bring played hopeful
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Gotta keep Montero, unless McClendon really wants to use him as an example, but that kind of thing isn't always well received in baseball. Our hitting prospect cupboard is quite bare again, and we need to hold onto any prospect with upside that have, because there aren't many.

Agree on Kendry...would rather package Franklin for a pitcher or outfielder (and grab Santana) and bring morales in

Also...two teams actually played baseball today. One was Seattle. They beat the other 7-1. Living in Minnesota where the wind chill was -(that little mark over to the left means negative) 25 I find the thought of baseball bring played hopeful

I don't want to trade Franklin. I don't think we can afford to trade any upside player whatsoever, at least until we are completely sold that Miller is the guy. How stupid would it be to trade Franklin, watch him hit 20 homers every year, while we watch Brad Miller flame out and hit .220 with 4 HR's? I'll let them compete, and may the best man win the job. It isn't like we're going to get anything of value for Franklin. We're still in the position of needing to add to the young core, not add to the aging list of vets.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:24 pm
  • Franklin can go. I don't think his ceiling is that incredibly high and we have Cano as a solid 2B for 10 years.

We need 3 OFs. Franklin can be traded for 1.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information