Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/russell-wilson-lets-bring-the-sonics-back-to-seattle/

What a great piece from Russell!

Wait, was Russ seriously a Sonics fan growing up?

From his article, seems to be the case.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.
    I can guarantee you if this was about a new art museum it would be rubber stamped thru the city council.

I see no ineptness. I see a local constituency that isn't all that interested, meaning the city of Seattle. I see a power constituent that doesn't want the project. Quite frankly, I see nothing at all that looks inept.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    rigelian
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:05 pm
  • rigelian wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.
    I can guarantee you if this was about a new art museum it would be rubber stamped thru the city council.

I see no ineptness. I see a local constituency that isn't all that interested, meaning the city of Seattle. I see a power constituent that doesn't want the project. Quite frankly, I see nothing at all that looks inept.

Not hard to SEE why.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:25 pm
  • rigelian wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.

Well, I completely disagree. ....but you are entitled to your opinion.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 am
  • rigelian wrote:

I see most of the city council in the back pocket of the port and a political ax to grind with rich people who want to build arenas for other rich people.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:48 pm
  • KUOW Public RadioVerified account
    ‏@KUOW
    .@MayorEdMurray: I'm willing to work with anyone who's going to bring us a team. Chris Hansen is not going to do it #KUOWrecord

Mayor not behind Hansen now?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:14 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:KUOW Public RadioVerified account
    ‏@KUOW
    .@MayorEdMurray: I'm willing to work with anyone who's going to bring us a team. Chris Hansen is not going to do it #KUOWrecord

Mayor not behind Hansen now?

I can't see any way the Mayor would say this in public, what purpose does it serve to call out Hansen and his group.

Gotta be fake.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:41 pm
  • Here's the full statement

I think it's being taken incorrectly. What Murray is saying to me is Hansen isn't going to bring Seattle a team because the league won't give him one without an arena........and the city won't give him the arena without the team.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Transcript from Kevin Shockey

I don't it's completely fair to say that Murray is saying Hansen can't do it, but more he can't do it alone.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm
  • The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

Who is the big financial backer who would own the Sonics, whether from Sodo or Seattle Center? It used to be Ballmer.

Wonder if Bezos would ever come on board given the amount of Amazon development downtown and near Seattle center.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:50 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

He wouldn't own Key Arena either, that would still be owned by the city and county.

Which IMO is the REAL issue going on here. The city and county know that if they approve a new SODO arena, it signs the death certificate on Key Arena ever being a viable profitable arena. It'd be nothing but a gigantic albatross sucking up tax dollars to keep open not making money.

That's what they want, a group to come in, pay for all the improvements to Key Arena, and then find tenants (NHL/NBA).
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

He wouldn't own Key Arena either, that would still be owned by the city and county.

Which IMO is the REAL issue going on here. The city and county know that if they approve a new SODO arena, it signs the death certificate on Key Arena ever being a viable profitable arena. It'd be nothing but a gigantic albatross sucking up tax dollars to keep open not making money.

That's what they want, a group to come in, pay for all the improvements to Key Arena, and then find tenants (NHL/NBA).

I just don't see how they can make it work. I get Key Arena would be totally rebuilt, but they would need to increase the footprint of the arena and theres the water table issues. On top of that, since the Sonics left the city has grown a ton. Places around Seattle center where people used to park are now condos. Mercer St is also still a mess.

The city should just tell Hansen, Sodo street will be vacated if they pay for the demolition of key arena and have an alternative use for the site.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

I just don't see how they can make it work. I get Key Arena would be totally rebuilt, but they would need to increase the footprint of the arena and theres the water table issues. On top of that, since the Sonics left the city has grown a ton. Places around Seattle center where people used to park are now condos. Mercer St is also still a mess.

The city should just tell Hansen, Sodo street will be vacated if they pay for the demolition of key arena and have an alternative use for the site.

That's the hypocrisy, the councils won't vacate one side street barely anyone uses because it messes with the port.........but I guarantee you they'll approve someone moving heaven and earth to enlarge the footprint or do whatever needs to be done to make Key viable for the NHL and NBA.

It's all one big joke. If I was Hansen I'd turn every piece of property I bought into the world's largest strip club and outdoor flea market driving down property values.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:01 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

That's the hypocrisy, the councils won't vacate one side street barely anyone uses because it messes with the port.........but I guarantee you they'll approve someone moving heaven and earth to enlarge the footprint or do whatever needs to be done to make Key viable for the NHL and NBA.

It's all one big joke. If I was Hansen I'd turn every piece of property I bought into the world's largest strip club and outdoor flea market driving down property values.

I have a feeling Murray might not win the election next year, especially with the homelessness problem and family housing shortage having got worse under him. Being anti SODO could also go against him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:42 pm
  • Chris Hansen should buy the Key and raze it for a parking lot. See how the council and mayor feel then.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 pm
  • The 2017 Seattle mayoral election will be held on November 7, 2017, to elect the mayor of Seattle. Incumbent mayor Ed Murray has announced that he will seek a second term in office.

Mark your calendar's folks. Time to vote this idiot out.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:30 pm
  • Hansen should buy Key Arena and turn it in to a Tent City park, that would fix those ( word used in the shack) heads.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/article/were-bringing-em-back?platform=hootsuite

New update from Hansen.

http://www.heraldnet.com/sports/thiel-d ... =hootsuite

And new article from Art Thiel.

I know this all stinks, but my feeling is whatever and whoever helps bring the NBA back and possibly the NHL, I'm all for.

I love Hansen and what's he's tried to do, but the mayor and councils have make it loud and clear they're not really down with a new arena any other place than Key Arena.

IMO Hansen should get in bed with Lieweke and try to make a Key Arena renovation possible, and THEN go after a team........cause this standoff between the port, Hansen and political councils and mayor isn't going to do anything but add another 10 years onto this venture.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:38 pm
  • Ed Murray has been a disaster for Seattle, but so have a handful of council members. Kshama Sawant, for example, is one of the worst possible representatives for her ideology and hasn't effectively campaigned for or voted for anything that will solve the numerous problems that come from sudden population increase in a place that has limited land for expanding housing or roads.

The kowtowing to the PoS, which transparently just wants Hansen to sell that land to them and move out of the way, and to the Mariners (the latter of which for reasons that are completely beyond me) is shameful. If this were legitimately an issue of jobs at the port, I'd be fine with the obstruction, but it so clearly isn't about that that it's absurd.

I am a guy who is against about ninety percent of arena deals as they are currently constructed in this country, but the SoDo deal is at worst a net-neutral for Seattle. There's not a reason to hinder it.
    Current favorite players (in no specific order): Jeremy Lane, Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reed, Arian Foster, Brandon Marshall (DEN version), and of course, the real one Marshawn Lynch
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote: There's not a reason to hinder it.

Read what I wrote above, the reason is our shady politicians want a profitable Key Arena, as well as making the port happy.

So no way in hell they're ever going to get behind Hansen and sign a death warrant on Key ever making money.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 pm
  • Yep, the better the SoDo deal is(100% privately funded), the more Hansen pushes it, the more the public wants it....

the more transparent its becoming that Murray and several council members are openly opposing it due to the KeyArena.

It seemed Bagshaw was the only honest one from the beginning, we all knew she was a proponent of the Key, the Key is her baby, she'll fight tooth and nail to defeat any new arena.

But the others were hiding their motivations (or who pulls their strings, the port), especially Murray. Well now its out in the open what he truly wants. He's just been lying about it.

Does that seem to be a fair statement?
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:55 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Yep, the better the SoDo deal is(100% privately funded), the more Hansen pushes it, the more the public wants it....

the more transparent its becoming that Murray and several council members are openly opposing it due to the KeyArena.

It seemed Bagshaw was the only honest one from the beginning, we all knew she was a proponent of the Key, the Key is her baby, she'll fight tooth and nail to defeat any new arena.

But the others were hiding their motivations (or who pulls their strings, the port), especially Murray. Well now its out in the open what he truly wants. He's just been lying about it.

Does that seem to be a fair statement?

I don't see any evil intention on Murray's part. I've listened to a few interviews he's done on the arena now, and he just seems like he's being pragmatic about the the entire thing.

He's personally spoken with both councils, Hansen, Lieweke and the NBA...........and it's obvious he's come to the conclusion that the only plan that's going to work for all parties (other than Hansen) is to try and do something with Key Arena.

The NBA isn't even going to consider helping Hansen get a team until there's an arena deal in place, and Murray and the councils aren't going to put their weight behind Hansen because they want Key Arena to be remodeled/rebuilt so it can be a viable profitable publicly funded arena.

IMO if Hansen was smart he'd ditch the arena and get in bed with Lieweke's group, they have the power, momentum and influence to make all this happen. Hansen wouldn't own the arena, but if he ever wants a team, this is the only way it's going to happen it seems.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 pm
  • I think he just needs to wait Murray and a few CC members are voted out of office.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:06 am
  • Why can't the city just sell Key/property to Hansen?Take it off the tax payers hands since it is nothing but a money pit.The City allows him to build a new arena in that spot to hold NBA/NHL.He sells SODO property to offset the cost of doing this.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:31 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Why can't the city just sell Key/property to Hansen?Take it off the tax payers hands since it is nothing but a money pit.The City allows him to build a new arena in that spot to hold NBA/NHL.He sells SODO property to offset the cost of doing this.

Because they would not have any excuses then.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:35 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I think he just needs to wait Murray and a few CC members are voted out of office.

Problem is the councils are going the other way, not more arena friendly. Burgess is not seeking re-election next year, and he was one of the good guys.

I just don't see this happening any other way, Hansen has to get in bed with Lieweke and the mayor and try to make it happen with Key Arena.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:41 am
  • The city of Seattle wants their cakes and then dictate what type of frosting and then eat it too, they own it and know the people want a NBA team and a NHL team, it's losing money, lock up all other proposals and create issues and they hope to force someone to pay for renovation to get a franchise, they then can lease the rights to multiple tenants, and brag on the election cycle on how they saved a Seattle Landmark, made it profitable and brought the NBA and NHL to Seattle.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 am
  • Pretty much what I've been saying.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... -together/

With how hostile the political climate is right now for Hansen, and the changed landscape of the insane amount the NBA and NHL are asking for expansion franchises? Seems like the only solution is for Lieweke and Hansen to team up and try and make something happen with Key.

Not ideal whatsoever with so many people involved.........but alas it seems like the only way this thing happens.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Pretty much what I've been saying.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... -together/

With how hostile the political climate is right now for Hansen, and the changed landscape of the insane amount the NBA and NHL are asking for expansion franchises? Seems like the only solution is for Lieweke and Hansen to team up and try and make something happen with Key.

Not ideal whatsoever with so many people involved.........but alas it seems like the only way this thing happens.

Only issue is with how much time, effort and money Chris has put into the endeavor already I do not think there is a chance at all that he would suddenly being working with the Key Arena group.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:48 pm
  • I didn't realize until later just how bad this Key thing was..King County taxpayers own Key Arena correct?It just blows my mind how the City thinks they own it and thats that..I'd think if the taxpayers own it then the tax payers can find a way to make it go "bye bye" (boom) like the Dome..I don't live there so I may be off on this
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:50 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    The 2017 Seattle mayoral election will be held on November 7, 2017, to elect the mayor of Seattle. Incumbent mayor Ed Murray has announced that he will seek a second term in office.

Mark your calendar's folks. Time to vote this idiot out.

Same thing was said about Chris Gregoire a few years ago (after she was instrumental in losing the Sonics) yet she got another term. Unfortunately idiots like Murray, Sawant, etc have safe haven in Seattle and State of Washington.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:I didn't realize until later just how bad this Key thing was..King County taxpayers own Key Arena correct?It just blows my mind how the City thinks they own it and thats that..I'd think if the taxpayers own it then the tax payers can find a way to make it go "bye bye" (boom) like the Dome..I don't live there so I may be off on this

It's semantics. When the mayor say's "we" own it, he means the taxpayers..............and you don't just blow up the one venue in your city that can host huge concerts and events.

That's why he and the councils are so adamant that they want something done with Key with all these NBA proposals.

It's sad, and messed up, but it's not surprising. Some billionaire wants to build an amazing arena in your city to house millionaires that will spend money, employ people and contribute tens of millions to your tax base through tenancy with the NBA/NHL and concerts..........and all you can think about is "well, what do we do with Key Arena?"
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm
  • Well those on the council at the time said poetry sessions and other events would fund it going forward, bragged about it, now they want to have someone else pay for upgrading and residency. It can't make money like the Sodo can, they don't have the parking to support a NBA / NHL Arena in the area, additional revenue the Sodo would be giving to the city as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 am
  • Key arena is dead. Seattle needs to accept it and take the loss and move on.

The key doesn't even get events or concerts anymore, they all go to the Tacoma Dome bout a block away from the East Side of Tacoma. Sad when they'd rather hold concerts and events in that area rather than Seattle Center because Key Arena is just that out dated.

NBA is never coming back, I've accepted it
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:49 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Key arena is dead. Seattle needs to accept it and take the loss and move on.

The key doesn't even get events or concerts anymore, they all go to the Tacoma Dome bout a block away from the East Side of Tacoma. Sad when they'd rather hold concerts and events in that area rather than Seattle Center because Key Arena is just that out dated.

The Key still gets quite a few concerts.........but yes if it's at the Tacoma Dome the artist and promoting company list as the main reason they didn't go to Key is it's virtually impossible to get their big rigs and equipment in and out of the city and the loading bays behind Key.

Much easier to just pull off of I5 in Tacoma to the T-Dome that's literally right next to the freeway.

Which is another reason Hansen wants his arena in SoDo, easy freeway access.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:37 am
  • Are they really talking about protecting Key Arenas roof as a historical feature? Really? It's only 50 years old. When you think of Seattle you think of the space needle, pike market, grunge music, tech and coffee. Not that piece of crap arena. They literally pull down buildings from the 1960's in Europe without thinking twice, mainly cause most were crappily built and are ugly.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Are they really talking about protecting Key Arenas roof as a historical feature? Really? It's only 50 years old. When you think of Seattle you think of the space needle, pike market, grunge music, tech and coffee. Not that piece of crap arena. They literally pull down buildings from the 1960's in Europe without thinking twice, mainly cause most were crappily built and are ugly.

I head a quote from one of the SCC members, Juarez maybe?

She said the Key was a ''state jewel''. :roll:

It's all so ridiculous. No one cares about the Key, its not historical, its nothing special, it's only 'special' in the eyes of some city officials because its owned by the city.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Key arena is dead. Seattle needs to accept it and take the loss and move on.

The Key still gets quite a few concerts.........but yes if it's at the Tacoma Dome the artist and promoting company list as the main reason they didn't go to Key is it's virtually impossible to get their big rigs and equipment in and out of the city and the loading bays behind Key.

Much easier to just pull off of I5 in Tacoma to the T-Dome that's literally right next to the freeway.

Which is another reason Hansen wants his arena in SoDo, easy freeway access.

I heard it was loading bay (as in one) that the Key has. I remember KC talking about it on his radio show a few years back.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm
  • Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

I think they'll rebuild key arena some how, no matter how inferior it is to SODO and politicians will ignore all the complains about traffic etc.

My concern is that the bidders come back and say that they can make the Key 'a world class music venue' but that it cant support a sports franchise. I think the city would proceed with that plan as they want to Key arena fixed, in turn killing all NBA/NHL hopes as they wouldn't allow another arena at SODO to compete in case it took away those acts.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

I think they'll rebuild key arena some how, no matter how inferior it is to SODO and politicians will ignore all the complains about traffic etc.

My concern is that the bidders come back and say that they can make the Key 'a world class music venue' but that it cant support a sports franchise. I think the city would proceed with that plan as they want to Key arena fixed, in turn killing all NBA/NHL hopes as they wouldn't allow another arena at SODO to compete in case it took away those acts.

That's exactly the kind of stupid, narrow minded thinking that will get you voted out of office anywhere in this country. So, you know that's exactly what will happen here.
    dadof3
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 pm
  • People are still talking about the arena thing?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:People are still talking about the arena thing?

People want their basketball team back, not sure why that's hard to believe.

IMO even though the SoDo/Hansen proposal makes 100 times more sense than cramming a bigger arena into an area of the city that's already too small and logistically a nightmare traffic wise, it's VERY apparent that's the only direction our idiot government is willing to go to make this work.

In the end, I love Hansen, but all I care about is getting the Sonics and hockey here ASAP. If that means a new Key? Then so be it.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:People are still talking about the arena thing?

People want their basketball team back, not sure why that's hard to believe.

IMO even though the SoDo/Hansen proposal makes 100 times more sense than cramming a bigger arena into an area of the city that's already too small and logistically a nightmare traffic wise, it's VERY apparent that's the only direction our idiot government is willing to go to make this work.

In the end, I love Hansen, but all I care about is getting the Sonics and hockey here ASAP. If that means a new Key? Then so be it.

For sure. My comment was more about how frustrating the process has been to try to get an arena/NBA team. I know we will get a team back at some point, but I'm done getting excited only to be let down. First it was David Stern blocking the sale of the Kings to the Hansen group, and now it's stupid politics getting in the way of sports. Maybe that's what I'm put off by this whole thing, I really don't like politics. Every time it seems like we are ready to move forward....dumb politics gets in the way.

I grew up a Sonics fan more than anything. I love the Seahawks, but when I think back to my childhood and growing up in Seattle, I think about the Sonics. Before this was a football city, this was a basketball city. Seattle is home to not only the loudest football stadium, but was also the loudest NBA arena.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 pm
  • You upgrade the Key and then they will say that there isn't enough parking and that the roads need improvement and they will want to add a tax on this and that to do it before they go after a NBA team.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

The Port and the Mariners have the Seattle CC and Mayor in their pockets. The only way CH's plan gets approval is if these clowns are voted out of office.

They are turning down a FREE ARENA, that will cost the city and the taxpayers NOTHING, unless you go to see an event at said new arena! That's moronic in more ways than one!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 am
  • chris98251 wrote:You upgrade the Key and then they will say that there isn't enough parking and that the roads need improvement and they will want to add a tax on this and that to do it before they go after a NBA team.

Or upgrade the Key only to be told 10 years from now that it is inadequate. Didn't they renovate the Key in the mid 90's only to be told several years later that it wasn't good enough?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:55 pm
  • Was that not more that the nba wanted their piece of the pie after seeing safeco and centurylink built?

Pretty sure just a couple of years before stern called the key world class.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 am

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://16winsaring.com/sources-nba-expansion-looming-with-two-new-franchises-a4dd52b563d6#.texuv1cpu

Right about now would be a good time for the city to get its act together.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the NBA has held at 31 teams for a while now, they're waiting for Seattle to get their act together and approve a new arena. Somewhere, anywhere.

The fact that the mayor has scheduled meetings with both the NBA and NHL tells me there's some juice to the Key Arena proposals.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information