Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 pm
  • If I were Hansen I would plan to keep the land and make it a Homeless Park to spite the Port and plow everything down and raise a bunch of tents rather then sell to the Port if this falls through.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:If I were Hansen I would plan to keep the land and make it a Homeless Park to spite the Port and plow everything down and raise a bunch of tents rather then sell to the Port if this falls through.

The mayor would LOVE that though. I wouldn't sell to the port, their bad behavior should not be rewarded.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:If I were Hansen I would plan to keep the land and make it a Homeless Park to spite the Port and plow everything down and raise a bunch of tents rather then sell to the Port if this falls through.

Nah turn it in the biggest strip club this side of Vegas
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:12 am
  • Don't feel too sorry for Hansen, the real estate market has skyrocketed in the last 5-6 years. Dude's gonna make a killing if he sells it off.

I honestly think he's dead in the water at this point. I never underestimate the incompetence and futility or our local governments, but it seems like not even they can screw up either of these two choices of the Key projects. One will get approved.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:50 pm
  • They can once independent studies come back and say are you people nuts the area doesn't have the parking and can't take the traffic. Also if it requires a dime of public money it should be instantly nixed since Hansen is offering to build a brand new arena at zero cost to the public.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:16 pm
  • randomation wrote:They can once independent studies come back and say are you people nuts the area doesn't have the parking and can't take the traffic. Also if it requires a dime of public money it should be instantly nixed since Hansen is offering to build a brand new arena at zero cost to the public.

I guess I don't get the traffic thing. People talk like it's some insurmountable obstacle. Wouldn't it have been the same issue when the Sonics played there before?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm
  • Even in just the decade since the Sonics were stolen, more people have moved in the area and Amazon and Expedia have built or are building campuses down there that bring hundreds (thousands?) of workers into the general area who were not there in 2007.

This city has changed a ton in a short time re: population.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:48 pm
  • one just has to know we have the most Tower Cranes in operation in the United States and have for a couple of years to know how much building is going on, were talking tens of thousands of people moving in and potentially moving in to the downtown are let alone surrounding areas such as Bellevue and Renton.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:52 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Don't feel too sorry for Hansen, the real estate market has skyrocketed in the last 5-6 years. Dude's gonna make a killing if he sells it off.

I honestly think he's dead in the water at this point. I never underestimate the incompetence and futility or our local governments, but it seems like not even they can screw up either of these two choices of the Key projects. One will get approved.

I agree mostly.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:43 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    randomation wrote:They can once independent studies come back and say are you people nuts the area doesn't have the parking and can't take the traffic. Also if it requires a dime of public money it should be instantly nixed since Hansen is offering to build a brand new arena at zero cost to the public.

I guess I don't get the traffic thing. People talk like it's some insurmountable obstacle. Wouldn't it have been the same issue when the Sonics played there before?

That area is way worse now that when the sonics last played a game in Key. Amazon and lots of others have built that area way up.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:43 pm
  • Here ill help u guys that want key arena. The NBA has already said HELL NO. For a decade and that was when it had better traffic. The basketball and hockey still won't seat 20k. So they are going to need to get bigger or same problem. Just different year. I get we all want the supes back. But to go down the road that has been cracked broken and really a graveyard. Cause the new guys say it can. Really stinks and to high hell.

Question both proposals said they don't need a anchor tenant. As in a major sports franchise. So what happens if they build it and the leagues say no. The Key is a damn beaten over dead horse that rolls over every 3 years. So the SCC can beat it some more. I really have the feeling if it is the key its concerts no sports.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ
    #CAPSFORJIMMY
    This staff does not care what Dan Quinn or anyone else knows.
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:49 am
  • I got a crazy idea..Why don't they just build a massive arena right on top of Key,no need to tear it down :sarcasm_on:
    Seattle after all is famous for buiding a city on top of old city and this would fit right in.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 am
  • hawkcrazzed wrote:Here ill help u guys that want key arena. The NBA has already said HELL NO. For a decade and that was when it had better traffic. The basketball and hockey still won't seat 20k. So they are going to need to get bigger or same problem. Just different year. I get we all want the supes back. But to go down the road that has been cracked broken and really a graveyard. Cause the new guys say it can. Really stinks and to high hell.

Not sure where you heard that the NBA required 20k seats for the Key, because it's false.

Both plans fit within both the NBA and NHL guidelines, and would put Key at the 3rd or 4th smallest NBA arena. MOST NBA arenas are under 20k btw.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkcrazzed wrote:Here ill help u guys that want key arena. The NBA has already said HELL NO. For a decade and that was when it had better traffic. The basketball and hockey still won't seat 20k. So they are going to need to get bigger or same problem. Just different year. I get we all want the supes back. But to go down the road that has been cracked broken and really a graveyard. Cause the new guys say it can. Really stinks and to high hell.

Not sure where you heard that the NBA required 20k seats for the Key, because it's false.

Both plans fit within both the NBA and NHL guidelines, and would put Key at the 3rd or 4th smallest NBA arena. MOST NBA arenas are under 20k btw.

Screw third or 4th smallest. We want 3rd or 4th largest. If we are paying for it might as well make it top 5 largest arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 am
  • Mike McGinn running for mayor again. Does this change things for SODO or will it be too late? Assuming he won.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Mike McGinn running for mayor again. Does this change things for SODO or will it be too late? Assuming he won.

Pretty convenient timing right after Murray's sexual assault story don't you think?

But no, I don't think McGinn winning in November helps Hansen. My guess is it'll be June or July at the latest when one of the two groups will be officially chosen.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:04 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    randomation wrote:They can once independent studies come back and say are you people nuts the area doesn't have the parking and can't take the traffic. Also if it requires a dime of public money it should be instantly nixed since Hansen is offering to build a brand new arena at zero cost to the public.

I know some have already responded to this, but I'm going to chime in anyway.

First, as has already been said, there are way more people here now than there were 10 years ago.

Second, the whole South Lake Union area is way busier than it used to be with lots of large companies moving offices to that area (Amazon, Expedia, etc.)

Third, Mercer St is a nightmare. It is referred to as the Mercer Mess for a reason. It is literally quicker to walk to I-5 from the area around Seattle Center (and vice versa) than to drive on Mercer St.

Fourth, a lot of the land that was parking ten years ago has been developed into apartments and condos so there is now much less parking than there was when the Sonics were here.

Basically, right now, today, that area is pretty much a disaster traffic/parking wise. Now imagine an additional 18 thousand people all trying to get to the same place at the same time in that area.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm
  • Yeah, I read population has quadrupled, and all the parking has been turned to condos. I thought it was pretty funny that they actually said the monorail would be a good option. I don't really care, honestly. I don't live in the city, and couldn't afford to go to more than a few games per year at NBA prices. For the 3 games that I go to, I can sit in traffic or take alternate transportation, whatever. I do believe that there is something special about having a real downtown basketball team. I always felt a little extra buzz down there.

The city would not mind much if a little public money is needed, if it will make the building profitable for them.

I am eternally grateful for Hansen, but I really couldn't care less which one gets done, as long as it gets a team back here.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 pm
  • If you want to help try to get the Sonics back, today is Sonic Boom Day... if you haven't heard.

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/sonicboomday/

Just a 1 day effort to really get the word out to our slimy mayor and the city council, that we want the Sonics back, and to please support the SodoArena, (or the Key I guess) :roll: Hey whatever works right? :D

Please email, tweet, etc. I know we've done this a million times, but I'll keep trying. I tweeted out quite a few things, and emailed every council member individually.

Maybe this will help:

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/BoomDayScript/
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:55 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:If you want to help try to get the Sonics back, today is Sonic Boom Day... if you haven't heard.

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/sonicboomday/

Just a 1 day effort to really get the word out to our slimy mayor and the city council, that we want the Sonics back, and to please support the SodoArena, (or the Key I guess) :roll: Hey whatever works right? :D

Please email, tweet, etc. I know we've done this a million times, but I'll keep trying. I tweeted out quite a few things, and emailed every council member individually.

Maybe this will help:

http://seattlegrowthpodcast.com/BoomDayScript/

Need to be careful here, don't want the Mayor and Council saying they are getting bullied and being called Hateful names that hurt their feelings again, they may take their ball and go home and not vote to stall things.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm
  • Chris Daniels just tweeted that both Key arena plans will require public funds.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 pm
  • Then neither should be accepted it's pretty damn simple
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 pm
  • randomation wrote:Then neither should be accepted it's pretty damn simple

Agree, but that's using common sense.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 pm
  • Murray wants the city to own the arena. That's the reason he's pushing these asinine plans.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 am
  • I've followed this whole arena saga fairly closely since the news first broke about Chris Hansen clear back in 2011 IIRC. The sad thing is that regardless of whatever concern the Seattle City Council and the local politicians have thrown out there (funding, traffic issues, environmental impacts, etc.) ... to me this has ALWAYS been about Key Arena. It's never truly been about anything else. The SCC and the local politicians what they have truly wanted is for Key Arena to be remodeled. Period. It doesn't matter if Hansen's plan is the better plan (IMO it certainly is). It doesn't matter if the Sodo site is the better site (IMO it IS). How Hansen chose to deal with the Key Arena issue will turn out to be the death knell for him and his group IMO. It all comes down to the fact that the local politicians have always WANTED it to be at Key Arena. In their minds, it's always been that cherished historical monument that they wanted preserved and restored. And if you truly doubt that's the case, look no further than recent events. New groups come in who say Key Arena is do-able ... and all of the sudden the portcullis goes up ... the draw bridge goes down ... and the wheels of progress that have seemingly been rusted solid for years mysteriously start to shift into overdrive. Though part of me doesn't care and just wants to see the return of the NBA and for the NHL to come to Seattle ... the other part wishes it could all happen at a state of the art brand new Sodo Arena rather than a Key Arena that's probably just going to be remodeled again 10 years after it's built.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Chris Daniels just tweeted that both Key arena plans will require public funds.

In bonds, which means the city can not only get their bond money back, but with interest.

The Times and TV stations did this same thing with Hansen when he said he needed the city to throw in the original 200-250M...........they make it some nefarious "gotcha!" thing.

The bond mechanism isn't a bad thing, that's all that means. btw, don't you think the city, mayor and councils that are being a pain in everyone's ass by asking for some investor to come in and pay for EVERYTHING when the Key is still going to be a city owned property should have some skin in the game?

"We want you to pay for everything, but we control the design, when it happens, where it happens..........and we still want to own it and reap all the revenue!"

Here's an article explaining how the bond process works for things like new stadiums, etc.

http://budgeting.thenest.com/municipal- ... -4306.html
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Chris Daniels just tweeted that both Key arena plans will require public funds.

In bonds, which means the city can not only get their bond money back, but with interest.

The Times and TV stations did this same thing with Hansen when he said he needed the city to throw in the original 200-250M...........they make it some nefarious "gotcha!" thing.

The bond mechanism isn't a bad thing, that's all that means. btw, don't you think the city, mayor and councils that are being a pain in everyone's ass by asking for some investor to come in and pay for EVERYTHING when the Key is still going to be a city owned property should have some skin in the game?

"We want you to pay for everything, but we control the design, when it happens, where it happens..........and we still want to own it and reap all the revenue!"

Here's an article explaining how the bond process works for things like new stadiums, etc.

http://budgeting.thenest.com/municipal- ... -4306.html

Reportedly there are a ton of hidden costs that ultimately makes bonds a bad investment for city's losing them millions and millions of tax dollars by the bonds completion. That's why it was a sticking point with Hansen's proposal before and why the mayor suggested he get it fully funded privately. Here is an article that talks about that:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/other-sports/public-bond-funding-for-projects-such-as-sodo-arena-has-hidden-costs-study-says/
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 am
  • This whole thing makes me want to puke. I honestly can't read this stuff without getting angry. Not good for my health, or my dog. lol jk
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 am
  • DJrmb wrote:Reportedly there are a ton of hidden costs that ultimately makes bonds a bad investment for city's losing them millions and millions of tax dollars by the bonds completion. That's why it was a sticking point with Hansen's proposal before and why the mayor suggested he get it fully funded privately. Here is an article that talks about that:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/other-sports/public-bond-funding-for-projects-such-as-sodo-arena-has-hidden-costs-study-says/

This is true for the SODO project because Hansen wants to own everything, so Baker's article is correct there isn't much reason for a city to throw in bond money when they're not going to be around to reap the benefits of the facility, team, etc (other than the property taxes, sales taxes, etc.)

But the city owns Key, that's my point. If they want to reap all the tax revenue and landlord benefits of a brand new arena and surrounding area, don't you think they should have some vested interest in the project? That's not unreasonable to me.

And bonds, even with the risks IMO is still the best way to pay for it. Rather than another hotel, gas or sales tax that we all have to pay for.

Bottom line, there's always risk with how you fund things. But I'm fine with the city having to pony up some money if they want to continue to own Key and reap all the revenue benefits.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Reportedly there are a ton of hidden costs that ultimately makes bonds a bad investment for city's losing them millions and millions of tax dollars by the bonds completion. That's why it was a sticking point with Hansen's proposal before and why the mayor suggested he get it fully funded privately. Here is an article that talks about that:

This is true for the SODO project because Hansen wants to own everything, so Baker's article is correct there isn't much reason for a city to throw in bond money when they're not going to be around to reap the benefits of the facility, team, etc (other than the property taxes, sales taxes, etc.)

But the city owns Key, that's my point. If they want to reap all the tax revenue and landlord benefits of a brand new arena and surrounding area, don't you think they should have some vested interest in the project? That's not unreasonable to me.

And bonds, even with the risks IMO is still the best way to pay for it. Rather than another hotel, gas or sales tax that we all have to pay for.

Bottom line, there's always risk with how you fund things. But I'm fine with the city having to pony up some money if they want to continue to own Key and reap all the revenue benefits.

So real question what if the leagues say no to key and its a big concert theater what then cause it sounds like that's where its headed
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ
    #CAPSFORJIMMY
    This staff does not care what Dan Quinn or anyone else knows.
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:18 am
  • The only "good" thing is I think CH has the resolve to outlast the current politicians. They only need one more vote and a "friendly" mayor to the project. The old mayor who is now running (name escapes me at the moment) said he wants the Sodo Arena to happen.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:The only "good" thing is I think CH has the resolve to outlast the current politicians. They only need one more vote and a "friendly" mayor to the project. The old mayor who is now running (name escapes me at the moment) said he wants the Sodo Arena to happen.

You're right, but IMO this vote is going to happen in June or July approving one of these Key developers.......so it's going to be too late for him to garner support in November when council seats and the mayor are possibly are gone.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 am
  • The NBA isn't going to accept Key in any form they will have their own people do their due diligence and it will tell them there is no way in hell that area can support the parking needed and that it's a pain in the ass to get to. Same thing with the NHL if Hansen had a street vacation in hand I would bet he has teams promised within a month because the Sodo arena is in the right spot hits all the boxes and the nba and nhl both want to be in Seattle. Unless the city is buying the teams good luck with getting an owner okay with paying to be a tenant.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:03 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:The only "good" thing is I think CH has the resolve to outlast the current politicians. They only need one more vote and a "friendly" mayor to the project. The old mayor who is now running (name escapes me at the moment) said he wants the Sodo Arena to happen.

You're right, but IMO this vote is going to happen in June or July approving one of these Key developers.......so it's going to be too late for him to garner support in November when council seats and the mayor are possibly are gone.

True.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am
  • Hey Stolen Thunder....

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 am
  • If anyone is still following this,

SodoArena update, with video.

http://www.sonicsarena.com/2017/05/sodo ... t-updates/

On April 6, The Seattle Design Commission approved the urban design and public benefit of the proposed SoDo Arena and recommended the conditional street vacation of a one block segment of Occidental Avenue South be approved by the Seattle City Council.

This video is a condensed version of our presentation to the Design Commission, highlighting how the new proposal addressess the concerns raised by the Seattle City Council, including additional public benefits, mobility improvements for the Seattle freight community, and importantly, the SoDo Arena project is now 100% privately funded.

The next step is for the Seattle City Council to vote on the street vacation. If approved, we stand ready to get to work bringing the Sonics and the NHL back to Seattle!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 am
  • Why would the council now vote yes on the street vacation?

They didn't approve it last year, seems like they'd be even more against it this year when they're in the middle of arguing over which of the two gigantic Key developers they're going to let develop Key for practically free.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 pm
  • I would really love to see Hansen buy the NBA team go to the Key after remodel and say it's not a NBA Arena, say unless we have a new arena he is moving the team to Bellevue. :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 am
  • I was just down at the Seattle center on Sunday, and anyone wanting to keep the arena in that area has no frickin clue. There's zero parking, and at least half the fans will have to walk 15-20 minutes to games, which sucks when it's raining and dark. Put it in sodo, tell the port to F themselves and let's move on with our lives. The fan experience would be so much better in SODO.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 am
  • CPHawk wrote:I was just down at the Seattle center on Sunday, and anyone wanting to keep the arena in that area has no frickin clue. There's zero parking, and at least half the fans will have to walk 15-20 minutes to games, which sucks when it's raining and dark. Put it in sodo, tell the port to F themselves and let's move on with our lives. The fan experience would be so much better in SODO.

I don't know one person who doesn't feel this way...........but ain't gonna happen.

Our idiot politicians are going to get their way and have someone else rebuild Key so they can all stand outside during the ribbon cutting ceremony pulling their shoulder muscles patting themselves on the back.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Why would the council now vote yes on the street vacation?

They didn't approve it last year, seems like they'd be even more against it this year when they're in the middle of arguing over which of the two gigantic Key developers they're going to let develop Key for practically free.

The 2 Key Arena proposals won't be free though.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 am
  • Sounds like murray is going to drop out of the reelection. Could this be a game changer? Supposed to be an announcement this week.

Hansen is also going to be on 710 tomorrow.

In top of that I read an article about the possibility of ballmer moving the clippers here as he is finding it difficult to get the clippers out of the lakers shadow and wants their own arena.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 10:51 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Why would the council now vote yes on the street vacation?

The 2 Key Arena proposals won't be free though.

That's why I said practically free.

Out of all of the issues brought forth by all the proposals, this is the biggest hypocrisy IMO. The council has found a dozen reason to deny Hansen his arena, even though he is now willing to pony up 100% of the money AND put millions into infrastructure trying to make the port and everyone happy..............yet they have no problem approving one of the Key plans that might include over 200M in public money, along with all the horrible traffic issues around Key.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm
  • Blame the Spotted Owl, it started all this shit.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:In top of that I read an article about the possibility of ballmer moving the clippers here as he is finding it difficult to get the clippers out of the lakers shadow and wants their own arena.

That could be huge. In what publication did you see that article?
    F E E L I N G L I K E 2 0 1 3 A L L O V E R A G A I N !
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Sounds like murray is going to drop out of the reelection. Could this be a game changer? Supposed to be an announcement this week.

In top of that I read an article about the possibility of ballmer moving the clippers here as he is finding it difficult to get the clippers out of the lakers shadow and wants their own arena.

Ballmer has a lease, I thought it was 20 years, may be wrong but that could be a problem. Also I don't think they would re name them the Sonics.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm
  • Speculation: Steve Ballmer could move the LA Clippers to Seattle

Setting Sights on Seattle

This is where Seattle comes into play. Steve Ballmer made two previous attempts to keep the Seattle SuperSonics in Seattle. In March of 2008, Ballmer was part of a group that committed $150 million toward a $300 million renovation of Key Arena. The group was also ready to purchase the Seattle SuperSonics in order to keep the team in Seattle. Then again in June of 2012, Steve Ballmer was a major investor in Chris Hansen’s proposal to build a new basketball arena in Seattle. The same group also made an attempt to purchase the Sacramento Kings for $650 million. The main goal in both projects: put the NBA back in Seattle.

As we all know, both attempts fell short as there is still no team in Seattle. As you read earlier, the Clippers lease in Staples isn’t up until 2024. There’s still a chance that team can move to Seattle in the next seven years. Ballmer had an interview with the Seattle Times back in July of 2016 discussing the matter. He told the Seattle Times:

“It’s just not likely to happen. There has been no discussion about expansion since I have been involved with the league. So, I don’t think that will happen. The league has really moved to favor teams staying in their current markets. You’d have to find a team that’s at the end of their (arena) lease, where it looks hard to build an arena and where they’ve tried really hard to build an arena.”
    So if there aren’t even any talks about a team moving to Seattle, the likeliness of it happening before 2024 is very slim.

No one likes being in the shadows and the Clippers most likely will never be the bigger team in LA. So is it possible the Clippers move out of the shadow and be the franchise that brought basketball back to Seattle? Yes. Yes it is possible.

https://clipperholics.com/2017/05/05/co ... o-seattle/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue May 09, 2017 6:08 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Sounds like murray is going to drop out of the reelection. Could this be a game changer? Supposed to be an announcement this week.

Ballmer has a lease, I thought it was 20 years, may be wrong but that could be a problem. Also I don't think they would re name them the Sonics.

I would be surprised if a franchise relocated to Seattle were not renamed. Whoever ends up being the owner will probably at least try to rename them the Sonics. I think most of the potential owners, especially Hansen and probably Ballmer also, desire to return everything (or ast much as they can) to "normal" -- the green and gold, the SuperSonics name, everything. Glad the rights to the name stayed in Seattle.
    F E E L I N G L I K E 2 0 1 3 A L L O V E R A G A I N !
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:Speculation: Steve Ballmer could move the LA Clippers to Seattle/

While exciting to think about, I don't think the league would ever approve this.......nor would Ballmer move out of the LA market where he just paid 2 Billion for the Clippers, then move them from the #2 market to the #14 market and lose all that equity.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 09, 2017 9:20 am
  • Equity, how much do they have to split with the Lakers there? Nobody in LA as a basketball team is going to supplant the Lakers as the darling, they may not be good at the moment but the legacy there indicates they will make a move to secure a league franchise player to build around, Chamberlin, Jabbar, O Neil, Divac, if they can't draft one they will trade for one and sell the farm short term, have always done it.

In Seattle Ballmer would be two things, the savior that brought the NBA back to Seattle, if he changes the name back to the Sonics it will be a double bonus. After all the Clippers started off as the Buffalo .

Many may not remember this.

In 1978, Braves owner John Y. Brown, Jr. swapped franchises with then-Boston Celtics owner Irv Levin, who then moved the team to San Diego, where it was renamed the San Diego Clippers. The franchise moved to Los Angeles in 1984, and is now known as the Los Angeles Clippers.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information