Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 am

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I think your right but I worry about reports like this: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/storm/a ... 862908.php

He's denying it but if there is any truth that worries.

I'm not big fan of Murray, but he's not an idiot. He's not going to avoid the NBA when literally one of the biggest reasons he's trying to entice construction firms to remodel or rebuild Key IS to get a team back.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 am
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:47 pm
  • It brings up a lot of good points. The new CBA has been agreed, the league is starting to talk expansion, how long are impact studies etc going to take if the city is hell bent on staying at Key Arena? Can these things be expedited? I know SODO studies took a while once the Kings fell through and it felt like the city dragged its heels. That would be a fear if they didnt get stuff done in time for those leagues.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:57 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:It brings up a lot of good points. The new CBA has been agreed, the league is starting to talk expansion, how long are impact studies etc going to take if the city is hell bent on staying at Key Arena? Can these things be expedited? I know SODO studies took a while once the Kings fell through and it felt like the city dragged its heels. That would be a fear if they didnt get stuff done in time for those leagues.

This is the thing that too many people aren't figuring out, including Hansen and his group.............the city literally DOES NOT CARE about any timeline of getting an NBA or NHL team.

They are solely and utterly hyper focused on making Key Arena a profitable asset of the city and county again, whatever and whenever that means.

If the NBA and/or NHL come after that's done? Then great, but it's not even on their radar as a primary motivator as to which project to back. It's crystal clear which project they're backing, and it ain't Hansen's SODO project. That's why he's desperately sweetening the deal seemingly once a month.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 am
  • btw, why can't we do both projects?

You can still upgrade the Key and surrounding area to make it a more attractive and viable facility for concerts, etc...........AND approve Hansen's SODO project for sports teams.

God forbid we think big people!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:btw, why can't we do both projects?

You can still upgrade the Key and surrounding area to make it a more attractive and viable facility for concerts, etc...........AND approve Hansen's SODO project for sports teams.

You'd think so, but these are politicians we are talking about.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:btw, why can't we do both projects?

I imagine Hanson probably wants the revenue from concerts as well though?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:btw, why can't we do both projects?

I imagine Hanson probably wants the revenue from concerts as well though?

Maybe initially he would have said that, but now? I think he'd be just fine with two sports teams as tenants with 184 guaranteed games a year....................and if that helped form a compromise with the city over having an outside company like AEG come in and make Key arena a slightly smaller facility but more attractive for concerts, ice capades and all that entertainment type stuff?

Sounds like a win win for both sides.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm
  • Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group have both said they're willing to front the large majority of the Key Arena project, and since their both interested my guess is their bids are going to look extremely beneficial to the city after the April submissions.

That's my point, why can't we make both projects work if we have two deep pocket investors willing to come in and make everyone happy.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group have both said they're willing to front the large majority of the Key Arena project, and since their both interested my guess is their bids are going to look extremely beneficial to the city after the April submissions.

That's my point, why can't we make both projects work if we have two deep pocket investors willing to come in and make everyone happy.

Doesn't the AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group want to have a NBA team and Hockey team? that would be a bit of a problem, we're not getting 4 new teams, Hansen won't build his unless he knows a team is coming, Leiweke won't front money unless a team is coming.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

Doesn't the AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group want to have a NBA team and Hockey team? that would be a bit of a problem, we're not getting 4 new teams, Hansen won't build his unless he knows a team is coming, Leiweke won't front money unless a team is coming.

Neither AEG or Lieweke's group wants to own a team, they're strictly after the project, as they've done in other cities all over the world.

So even if either group is chosen for the Key project, an outside owner will be brought in for either/both pro teams.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:26 pm
  • http://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/onair/ ... z4YKBodElg

McGinn said of Murray:

"But what we've seen from Ed from the beginning is he was pretty much absent from the first street vacation vote, tried not to say anything publicly. And I think that, as well as his stance now, I believe based on his actions today and his failure to engage it, he opposes the SODO arena.

That's very clear to me that he opposes the SODO arena, will spend no political capital to make it happen, and might even be working behind the scenes to make sure they never get the vacation...So I think that's another thing that we're analyzing to watch.

Does Ed come off the bench and publicly fight for it or does he work behind the scenes and say that Key Arena is the highest priority? I think that will have a big impact on the final outcome."
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm
  • Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

Says the NBA owners don't hate him, the city would be mad to demolish key arena immediately as the league have indicated they'd be fine with the sonics playing there while SODO gets built. Thinks an nhl team would come here first. Wants to see turned into a smaller concert venue- points to the forum and portland as examples.

Seems a lot of common sense being talked.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm
  • Hanson says he has spoke to the port but they are firm in their position
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 am
  • Saw a picture of Wally Walker with Russell Wilson and Chris Hansen today. If we get another NBA team in Seattle I will be pissed if he had a job in the organization. Only job the new Sonics should give him is cleaning the toilets after each home game. Walker sucks. I can't stand his face and how he talks. He just irks me in every way possible. I know some of you have a person in mind relating to how I feel about Wally Walker that you barely know or ever met but you just want to punch that guy in the face cause of how he looks. Well Wally Walker is that guy to me, he just has that punchable face I can't stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Saw a picture of Wally Walker with Russell Wilson and Chris Hansen today. If we get another NBA team in Seattle I will be pissed if he had a job in the organization. Only job the new Sonics should give him is cleaning the toilets after each home game. Walker sucks. I can't stand his face and how he talks. He just irks me in every way possible. I know some of you have a person in mind relating to how I feel about Wally Walker that you barely know or ever met but you just want to punch that guy in the face cause of how he looks. Well Wally Walker is that guy to me, he just has that punchable face I can't stand.

I think both Russell and Walker are just goodwill ambassadors to help Hansen put some public faces to his project.

I honestly don't think I could admire Hansen any more than I do, I would have rage quit this entire thing years ago and turned every piece of property I bought into the world's largest outdoor strip club and German death metal concert venues.

Dude is so damn calm and patient.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

Says the NBA owners don't hate him, the city would be mad to demolish key arena immediately as the league have indicated they'd be fine with the sonics playing there while SODO gets built. Thinks an nhl team would come here first. Wants to see turned into a smaller concert venue- points to the forum and portland as examples.

Unfortunately the folks on the city council and the mayor seem to be lacking in common sense. That's the disconnect. Bagshaw and Sawant are on the council...that pretty much tells me all I need to know about things getting done around here.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

Unfortunately the folks on the city council and the mayor seem to be lacking in common sense. That's the disconnect. Bagshaw and Sawant are on the council...that pretty much tells me all I need to know about things getting done around here.

No one on the council is an idiot, their savvy as hell and know exactly what they're doing.................they do what all politicians do, use their power and influence to direct projects to what benefits them the most.

And what benefits them the most is redeveloping the Key Arena area.

You could drop an alien down from space and show him a billionaire willing to pay 100% for a gigantic tax generating arena, and any and all street vacations and cost overruns and the alien would say "hell yeah that's a great deal for the city."

So no, they have plenty of common sense. Common sense to get re-elected.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

No one on the council is an idiot, their savvy as hell and know exactly what they're doing.................they do what all politicians do, use their power and influence to direct projects to what benefits them the most.

And what benefits them the most is redeveloping the Key Arena area.

You could drop an alien down from space and show him a billionaire willing to pay 100% for a gigantic tax generating arena, and any and all street vacations and cost overruns and the alien would say "hell yeah that's a great deal for the city."

So no, they have plenty of common sense. Common sense to get re-elected.

I disagree. In my opinion, there are many reasons why some of them should not get re-elected. But since politics are out of bounds in the forum, I'll leave it at that.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    I disagree. In my opinion, there are many reasons why some of them should not get re-elected. But since politics are out of bounds in the forum, I'll leave it at that.

I didn't comment on whether they should or should not get re-elected, I'm stating what their motivation is behind supporting the Key project and not Hansen and SODO.

The Key is a publicly held asset that is old and dying, so our councils and mayor want it renovated. Simple as that.

MY point is great, do that.........and when that's approved with AEG or whoever, then approve Hansen's project. Lots of cities have a smaller 15k arena made specifically for concerts, etc and then bigger 20-25k sports arenas.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 am
  • Today's the big day, arena proposal deadline.

Another interesting twist that came out last night, AEG is now partnered with Hudson Pacific Properties, which is owned by Victor Coleman..............who if you remember was the guy who tried to bring the NHL to Seattle a couple years ago.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hock ... -partners/

As much as I'm rooting for Hansen, any group that can get this done AND bring a heavy NHL hitter to the table like Coleman that can secure a franchise once the project is approved? I'm in.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:13 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Today's the big day, arena proposal deadline.

Another interesting twist that came out last night, AEG is now partnered with Hudson Pacific Properties, which is owned by Victor Coleman..............who if you remember was the guy who tried to bring the NHL to Seattle a couple years ago.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hock ... -partners/

As much as I'm rooting for Hansen, any group that can get this done AND bring a heavy NHL hitter to the table like Coleman that can secure a franchise once the project is approved? I'm in.

I agree with your overall assesment, except for the fact the traffic and parking around the key is a logistical nightmare. If they want to use the key as a concert venue, that's cool, as it won't effect me much, but I don't see the Key being a solution or venue for an NHL team....... but like you if it gets me an NHL team, so be it, but I'd prefer Hanson's new arena route.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 am
  • Why the big push to keep the roof at Key Arena? It's ugly and will limit the size of the stadium to 18k which would be third smallest in the NBA. When you think of Seattle you think of the Space needle as a landmark and pike market. You do not think of key arena.

Think the writing is on the wall for SODO, going by todays articles which is dumb as getting to key arena is a pain in the ass.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 am
  • I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.

I agree about wanting the team but I don't want the NBA or NHL to turn round a few years later and say the stadium is too small or crowds are low as people can't be bothered being stuck on Mercer. Think that would become an issue, especially if either team sucked for a long stretch.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am
  • AEG bid 'may require some public financing'. Should be a hell no but knowing this city.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am
  • Mercer Mess has always been a issue, even when the Sonics played, population has quadrupled, supposedly the Mercer Mess is fixed, yeah right we will see, Parking is still an issue as well.

The size is the true issue, they want the Roof lines intact for historical purposes going back to the Worlds Fair, to expand and remodel they have to dig down. It needs to be 25k or so or the NBA will cry insufficient and outdated and use it as leverage again.

This is why the SODO plan is better.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:AEG bid 'may require some public financing'. Should be a hell no but knowing this city.

Hansen's fully funded, City Plan wants public money, now there is a twist.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.

Its much worse now, they've said that two thirds of the parking since 2008 is gone, replaced by condos which = more people which = more population density and that area. Add the fact the city has messed up the streets and traffic flow around that area and you have a craptastic traffic and parking nightmare.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.

Its much worse now, they've said that two thirds of the parking since 2008 is gone, replaced by condos which = more people which = more population density and that area. Add the fact the city has messed up the streets and traffic flow around that area and you have a craptastic traffic and parking nightmare.

I don't think anyone isn't aware of the logistical nightmare of parking in and around Key Arena, no matter how much smoke our mayor and councils blow up our asses.

But if this is the only way this is gonna happen? Then I'm in with both feet. This dog and pony show has already gone on years too long.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:58 pm
  • I just want the Sonics back. I've been missing them a bunch lately. And I live in the Chicagoland area, so I don't give a crap about traffic problems.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:08 pm
  • The NBA would likely be fine with Key as a temp home while the real one was built but not as a final home more than likely it would be the 4th smallest arena in the league. Especially when they know Hansen's plan exists. All this is doing is screwing up the plan that could actually get both the NHL and the NBA.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:23 pm
  • I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:40 pm
  • I want Hansen's proposal. Parking WAY better, out of the traffic HELL of downtown Seattle, and he had the passion to start the whole argument. I fear that the idiotic, chick-heavy city council will kill Hansen's superior proposal for no other reason but putting the the Key to use. Personally, they could Kingdome the arena for all I care. There was a reason that the Arena plan was wiped off the table initially. God I hate the leadership in this City sometimes...
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

Everything I've seen is this all stems back to the port same reason the street vacation didn't go through.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:24 pm
  • Arena in SODO interferes with Murray's homeless villages in SODO. Anything to benefit and develop the city is just not in Murray's agenda unless it involves holding hands with Inslee and bringing in foreigners. If Murray does what the people want, he'll lose his special interest and donor funding from They Who We Do Not Speak Of. This arena thing is all political.

Seattle needs a drain the swamp of their own.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:25 am
  • randomation wrote:The NBA would likely be fine with Key as a temp home while the real one was built but not as a final home more than likely it would be the 4th smallest arena in the league. Especially when they know Hansen's plan exists. All this is doing is screwing up the plan that could actually get both the NHL and the NBA.

There's no way AEG or Oakview submitted proposals that don't accommodate both the NHL and NBA.

To me this is a slam dunk, pardon the pun...............in 2-3 months the mayor and councils will hold a press conference and announce that one of these groups won the bid to build their new state of the art facility and renovate the surrounding area in and around Key Arena.

They have no choice, Key Arena has been an albatross around their necks for decades, they're desperate to get that area of the city fixed. So even our idiot mayor and councils can't screw this up. They WILL choose one of these groups.

Which means within another 2-3 years we should have at least a NBA or NHL team, if not both.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:28 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

Because the Key is a public building that's a piece of crap decaying before our very eyes, and they desperately want that area renovated, and now they have two monster power broker groups fighting over who will pay for it.

It's as simple as that. They never wanted any part of Hansen, because he isn't interested in renovating or building his arena where they Key is.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 am
  • I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum the most out of all the venues the Sonics played in. Key Arena included. It was better than the Tacoma Dome and the Kingdome for sure. Something about the Colissieum was special to me.

Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name but tell me ya'll didn't get pumped hearing how loud that arena was? sure did! I was only a kid then and maybe it's nostalgia but I remember going to a circus in the coliseum seeing those Sonics 1979 banner on the rafters and the golden tiles on the ceiling. It was cool to me. I hope the next arena add the bronze/golden tiles on the ceilings too. Lol

With all that said. Let the past be the past. In with the new and I'm down with Team Hansen.

Last edited by dopeboy206 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

Because the Key is a public building that's a piece of crap decaying before our very eyes, and they desperately want that area renovated, and now they have two monster power broker groups fighting over who will pay for it.

It's as simple as that. They never wanted any part of Hansen, because he isn't interested in renovating or building his arena where they Key is.

Just listened to an interview with Bob Newman on Brock and Salk and it's sounding pretty promising.

- Pointed out the KeyArena currently still holds about 100 events/concerts a year
    - Commented on how the surrounding neighbors keep getting further developed with a lot of money in the area now
    - The renovations will be done without securing any NBA or NHL teams. They plan on renovating it to have desired standards for both NBA and NHL teams, however, and they believe that will finally lure one or two teams
    - The arena renovations will be privately funded
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum. Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name. Tell me ya'll didn't get pumped? I remember it like yesterday as a kid and how loud the Seattle C.C. was.

With all that said. Let the past be the past. In with the new and I'm down with Team Hansen.

I think 100% of us would rather it be the SODO project and Hansen. Dude's been amazing at the lengths he's gone, and patience he's shown.

But that's not reality, the reality is it's crystal clear that our councils and mayor want the new arena at the Key, and so that's what's gonna happen.

If anyone's ONLY for Hansen, then they have to ask themselves would they rather wait another 10 years or have the chance of the SODO project never being approved? Or would they be OK with one of these groups getting us a team within the next couple years with a badass new arena at the Key?

Not sure why anyone would choose the former just to be loyal to Hansen. Love the guy, but I want the NHL and my Supes back.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum. Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name. Tell me ya'll didn't get pumped? I remember it like yesterday as a kid and how loud the Seattle C.C. was.

I think 100% of us would rather it be the SODO project and Hansen. Dude's been amazing at the lengths he's gone, and patience he's shown.

But that's not reality, the reality is it's crystal clear that our councils and mayor want the new arena at the Key, and so that's what's gonna happen.

If anyone's ONLY for Hansen, then they have to ask themselves would they rather wait another 10 years or have the chance of the SODO project never being approved? Or would they be OK with one of these groups getting us a team within the next couple years with a badass new arena at the Key?

Not sure why anyone would choose the former just to be loyal to Hansen. Love the guy, but I want the NHL and my Supes back.

I just feel Hansen will be a better owner because he seems more basketball minded than the others. But I know it's likely we'll get the key renovation. As long as we get an NBA team I'm fine with that.

Also If the Key renovation is our only chance I hope they make the capacity 20,000+ for basketball games. I would love for them to keep lighting kind of dim/dark like the old Colissieum. I always thought they looked cool on arenas like the Staple Center, Madison Square Garden and the Seattle Center Colissieum. The bright lights sucks to me. The worst lighting has to be the Tacoma Dome. It makes the courts to funny lol.

I apologize for responding with a wishlist. Truth is I just want our Supersonics back but those wishes are a plus lol.

dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am
  • Hansen isn't going to buy teams and be a tenant it's not worth it financially it's why the Clippers are trying to build their own arena. So what's going to happen is the Key gets pushed due to the port but you have nobody to buy the teams and nobody is going to to want to be a tenant. Hansen's plan uses no public money and just requires a tiny little alley that is never used but the port wants his land. This comes down to the SCC is corrupt as hell and the port is pulling the strings. If either Key plan gets approved that is pretty much the end for quite a while unless they have someone to actually buy teams who hasn't stepped forward yet.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm
  • randomation wrote:Hansen isn't going to buy teams and be a tenant it's not worth it financially it's why the Clippers are trying to build their own arena. So what's going to happen is the Key gets pushed due to the port but you have nobody to buy the teams and nobody is going to to want to be a tenant. Hansen's plan uses no public money and just requires a tiny little alley that is never used but the port wants his land. This comes down to the SCC is corrupt as hell and the port is pulling the strings. If either Key plan gets approved that is pretty much the end for quite a while unless they have someone to actually buy teams who hasn't stepped forward yet.

Lots of team owners don't own the facility their team's play in.

So if it's not Hansen? That'd suck, but ownership groups for both the NHL and NBA will be lining up around the block to submit bids to bring a team to a market like Seattle playing in a brand new arena.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:54 pm
  • It wouldn't be a new arena and the traffic issues are likely going to make the independent experts the nba and nhl will hire to determine feasibility go you gotta be kidding me.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 pm
  • randomation wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

Everything I've seen is this all stems back to the port same reason the street vacation didn't go through.

The Port of Seattle wants the land that Hansen owns BAD for their own use. The street vacation issue is a strawman argument made he the port, Howard Lincoln, and the Times.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information