Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    This timeline is all about the NHL's 2020 season

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

But an NBA owner? I just can't see it. :?
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm
  • CH Has gotten the shaft the whole way. He has been too honest in the process.
    "Honest brokers" scare politicians of all political hues. Politicans want their kickbacks while looking all powerful and in control.

If we get an NHL and NBA team it will be because he had the "man marbles" to get the ball rolling.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

I really really want the NHL here, but just can't get over how crappy they treated Hansen through all this. Just really sours any excitement I have in potentially getting a hockey team. I mean I'll roll with this if we get a hockey team, that's the silver lining here. But wow this has been some dirty slimy politics.

And maybe this will change, but I can't ever see the NBA coming back. No way a potential NBA owner is going to want to drop billions on a team, then have to play in an arena where they're like 3rd on the list of tenants, and don't even own it, and get no revenue from it? Bonderman and Bruckheimer are in bed with OVG and getting in on the ground floor, they're gonna be fine.

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

They'll be lining up my friend.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am
  • I would be happy with NHL only at this point. I miss the Sonics as much as the rest of you but when they took the Sonics from us it soiled the entire sport for me.

Also if I was Hanson I would tell the city of seattle to piss off and go find a city that really wants a team.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

Balmer doesn't own Staples, and there are other examples, as well as at least 10 NHL owners don't own their arenas.

So it's not a unique thing that would stop an owner from going after an NBA or NHL team in Seattle.

Ideally I think owners like to have that revenue stream and control, but billionaires aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to own a financial asset with the growth potential of a pro sports franchise? In the 8th largest market with tremendous affluency like Seattle?

Seattle is the 8th largest market? Since when did we become top 10? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:53 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:25 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

Sorry, 14th. Doesn't change the narrative...............and it's probably top 5 for affluency, which is even more important when leagues and owners are deciding where to expand and move franchises.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm
  • Msfann wrote:I would be happy with NHL only at this point. I miss the Sonics as much as the rest of you but when they took the Sonics from us it soiled the entire sport for me.

Also if I was Hanson I would tell the city of seattle to piss off and go find a city that really wants a team.

spot on

Hansen needs to say "eff you" to the city of the Seattle. Force the people (us) to change who governs our city. It's the only way. THE ONLY WAY. If we don't change who we vote for, nothing will change. WAKE UP FOLKS
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:34 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    Msfann wrote:I would be happy with NHL only at this point. I miss the Sonics as much as the rest of you but when they took the Sonics from us it soiled the entire sport for me.

spot on

Hansen needs to say "eff you" to the city of the Seattle. Force the people (us) to change who governs our city. It's the only way. THE ONLY WAY. If we don't change who we vote for, nothing will change. WAKE UP FOLKS

I agree. Only part is I can't change it because I don't live in Seattle.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

Ballmer is creating his own stadium precisely because he isn't getting the money from owning it. A lot of NBA teams apparently lost money last year. No billionaire is going to want to deal with a structure tied in with dealing with the SCC.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:36 pm
  • randomation wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

Ballmer is creating his own stadium precisely because he isn't getting the money from owning it. A lot of NBA teams apparently lost money last year. No billionaire is going to want to deal with a structure tied in with dealing with the SCC.

This

dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am
  • randomation wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:

I get it, it's not ideal for an owner not to at least have partial ownership of the stadium/arena they're playing in.

I was just pointing out that it does happen, so IMO it still wouldn't preclude an ownership group from trying to re-locate to Seattle.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:That's exactly how you get business done, especially dealing with public interest groups like mayors, states and councils.

You propose, then you react accordingly.

From the very beginning all Hansen heard from the mayor's and council offices was "yeah sounds awesome, but what about Key Arena?" Yet Hansen continued down the SODO road.

We all knew that the mayor and council wanted Key renovated, and really had no interest in SODO AT LEAST 3-4 years ago. Again, Hansen continued to push SODO.

I love the dude, I would have bailed long before he did. But his fatal mistake was continuing to try and get SODO done, even thought he temperature of the mayor and council for a good 3-4 years was Key Arena, Key Arena, and more Key Arena.

Now Oakview comes around and Hansen sees what he should have seen a long time ago, he's out in the cold with no whale and no development group.

Yeah...for several years there was no other proposal in sight and no leverage against Hansen to push him to the Key Arena proposal. Dealing with Seattle I don't think it's outlandish to let them marinate in the offer for years and keep incrementally upping the ante to avoid negotiating with yourself.

Oakview came around and he knew that was a risk but that doesn't make his approach wrong, or more wrong than moving in small increments to find the spot that would satisfy Seattle but maximize his profits.

I do think it's possible the city didn't shaft Hansen, they simply prioritized Key Arena much more highly than getting basketball or any team. Given the long(er) shot the OVG proposal is to land a basketball team, this explanation stays upright so far to me.

I'm not entirely certain it was the wrong approach by the city either. Wrong for basketball fans perhaps - we'll see - but renovate their asset without adding another potential albatross in 10 years in SODO and alienating the port? Winner winner.

I feel for Queen Anne residents and basketball fans though.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:56 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:That's exactly how you get business done, especially dealing with public interest groups like mayors, states and councils.

You propose, then you react accordingly.

From the very beginning all Hansen heard from the mayor's and council offices was "yeah sounds awesome, but what about Key Arena?" Yet Hansen continued down the SODO road.

We all knew that the mayor and council wanted Key renovated, and really had no interest in SODO AT LEAST 3-4 years ago. Again, Hansen continued to push SODO.

I love the dude, I would have bailed long before he did. But his fatal mistake was continuing to try and get SODO done, even thought he temperature of the mayor and council for a good 3-4 years was Key Arena, Key Arena, and more Key Arena.

Now Oakview comes around and Hansen sees what he should have seen a long time ago, he's out in the cold with no whale and no development group.

Yeah...for several years there was no other proposal in sight and no leverage against Hansen to push him to the Key Arena proposal. Dealing with Seattle I don't think it's outlandish to let them marinate in the offer for years and keep incrementally upping the ante to avoid negotiating with yourself.

Oakview came around and he knew that was a risk but that doesn't make his approach wrong, or more wrong than moving in small increments to find the spot that would satisfy Seattle but maximize his profits.

I do think it's possible the city didn't shaft Hansen, they simply prioritized Key Arena much more highly than getting basketball or any team. Given the long(er) shot the OVG proposal is to land a basketball team, this explanation stays upright so far to me.

I'm not entirely certain it was the wrong approach by the city either. Wrong for basketball fans perhaps - we'll see - but renovate their asset without adding another potential albatross in 10 years in SODO and alienating the port? Winner winner.

I feel for Queen Anne residents and basketball fans though.

They shafted him. Any other city would be on all fours in front of Hansen after his last offer they probably would have been down there are his first offer of a fully private funded stadium and overpass. Unfortunately the port owns the city council.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am

• Some context, a kid spoke in front of the council, he said he's been going to Portland watching the Trailblazers to get his basketball fix. He wished he had that experience in Seattle.

And that's how Juarez responded to him. :roll:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:33 pm
  • Again it also shows that these idiots have no clue about the fan perspective, WNBA and NBA being compared to each other is something a person who isn't a fan of Basketball in general would say. Both leagues represented on a different level in this City and even a vacated Sonics team is much more widely talked about then the existing Storm Team in general.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information