Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am
  • Basically it came down to this, give us a tax break, give us our requests and you get your 200 million, we fix your traffic issues, we fix the Ports issues, you don't pay squat.

They will find a way to say no unless you give us more, watch and see.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 am
  • If it is privately financed at this point with no MOU, why bother dealing with the city council and not just build it at tukwila? Less headaches and sticking points. Stick two fingers up to the council, port and mariners.

There would still be light rail and i5 nearby as well.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:01 am
  • Imagine if this happens, and the new arena is privately built.... and has a successful NBA & NHL team.

And Seattle as a government entity has zero benefit from it. Zip. Well except from the taxes they try to squeeze from it.

Hopefully people will look back and blame:

Sally Bagshaw
    Lorena González
    Lisa Herbold
    Debora Juarez
    Kshama Sawant

Nice work in saving an alley ladies. :2thumbs:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Imagine if this happens, and the new arena is privately built.... and has a successful NBA & NHL team.

And Seattle as a government entity has zero benefit from it. Zip. Well except from the taxes they try to squeeze from it.

Sally Bagshaw
    Lorena González
    Lisa Herbold
    Debora Juarez
    Kshama Sawant

Well since Hansen owns the properties the city which typically makes a lot of bank on parking is not going to be able to collect that share they get as well, I really hope they shut them out, they were going to get a Arena and a developed area handed to them once complete for just agreeing to the development and contributing the 200 million.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:If it is privately financed at this point with no MOU, why bother dealing with the city council and not just build it at tukwila? Less headaches and sticking points. Stick two fingers up to the council, port and mariners.

There would still be light rail and i5 nearby as well.

Hansen has stated multiple times, he's only going to build the arena in Seattle, he's already invested $100 or $130 million in land(can't remember). He's pretty much all in at this point for the Sodo area.

Maybe if he'd targeted another area like Tukwila since the very beginning, yea it would have been easier. But I think its way too late to change.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Imagine if this happens, and the new arena is privately built.... and has a successful NBA & NHL team.

Sally Bagshaw
    Lorena González
    Lisa Herbold
    Debora Juarez
    Kshama Sawant

Oh no, they'll fall all over themselves congratulating each other for making the big bad billionaire sports team owner pay for his own arena.

It's really the only reason that gives me hope this actually might get done, cause all these council members can use this as a feather in their cap for re-election.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:53 pm
  • I thought political discussions/additions to conversations were not allowed anymore?
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:59 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:Strange feeling... Excited at the idea but pissed off that this city counsel gets a pass.

Yep, and even now that Hansen has thrown down the gauntlet and said "fine, I'll pay for EVERYTHING myself, as well as greasing the palm of the port by giving money to fix all their fake issues with the arena hurting their routes"..........the city and county councils will still be a pain in the ass with more and more issues, problems and delaying.

That's what I got from the last go around. It'll never be enough. Too many hippie progressive liberals on the councils that hate sports and are not just ambivalent towards this whole project, they're downright hostile towards it.

The Seattle CC is running out of excuses and the port is running out of strawmen. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:00 pm
  • This isn't the promotion, in fact the topic and the politics are intertwined, and technically it's about the MOU not the actual politics and the councils approval.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:26 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:Strange feeling... Excited at the idea but pissed off that this city counsel gets a pass.

Yep, and even now that Hansen has thrown down the gauntlet and said "fine, I'll pay for EVERYTHING myself, as well as greasing the palm of the port by giving money to fix all their fake issues with the arena hurting their routes"..........the city and county councils will still be a pain in the ass with more and more issues, problems and delaying.

That's what I got from the last go around. It'll never be enough. Too many hippie progressive liberals on the councils that hate sports and are not just ambivalent towards this whole project, they're downright hostile towards it.

THIS!

I have absolutely no faith in the Seattle city council when it comes to the Sonics, they will find something else to complain about to sink things.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:37 pm
  • Msfann wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

THIS!

I have absolutely no faith in the Seattle city council when it comes to the Sonics, they will find something else to complain about to sink things.

I'm already seeing Tweets from Times media saying "well not so fast, we have to see what these tax concessions and breaks are first that Hansen wants!"

Let the waffling begin.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:42 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:This isn't the promotion, in fact the topic and the politics are intertwined, and technically it's about the MOU not the actual politics and the councils approval.

Taking pot shots at one side of the political spectrum should be oob.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm
  • Assuming all gets approved. What comes first nhl relocation or nba expansion?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:16 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Assuming all gets approved. What comes first nhl relocation or nba expansion?

Hrd to tell but I would wager the NHL would bring the coyotes here almost immediately if that arena situation hasn't been rectified. I know that they say the key couldn't do hockey longterm but I wonder about a short term situation.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:30 pm
  • Port commisioner already saying nothing has changed. Doesnt he realize most game are midweek at 7 at night?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Sally Bagshaw
    Lorena González
    Lisa Herbold
    Debora Juarez
    Kshama Sawant

Herbold or gonzalez would be most likely to flip as their concerns were public money. Bagshaw wanted key arena renovation.

Wish the elections were sooner. Juarez would be voted out in my district. Not showing up to local public meetings in her district the last few months, not replying to email has left a lot of pissed off people in north seattle.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:06 pm
  • Well the Times has no business in this whatsoever, that's the Mariners talking thru them, Port getting their situation fixed, yes things have changed, I am not sure how fast this can get done, but bringing this subject up when the Voters pamphlets have been sent out and two weeks before elections is now going to put a huge spotlight on all those involved, this has been a hot issue and divisive.

The Tax breaks and other things asked for will be displayed shortly, if they were given to the Seahawks and the Mariners it will be hard to argue withholding them when Hansen is putting up all the cash now.

I can see the City or Council wanting to keep things that benefit them in the MOU, like Hansen giving the Arena to the City when it's done etc.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:10 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well the Times has no business in this whatsoever, that's the Mariners talking thru them, Port getting their situation fixed, yes things have changed, I am not sure how fast this can get done, but bringing this subject up when the Voters pamphlets have been sent out and two weeks before elections is now going to put a huge spotlight on all those involved, this has been a hot issue and divisive.

The Tax breaks and other things asked for will be displayed shortly, if they were given to the Seahawks and the Mariners it will be hard to argue withholding them when Hansen is putting up all the cash now.

I can see the City or Council wanting to keep things that benefit them in the MOU, like Hansen giving the Arena to the City when it's done etc.

There is no city council or mayoral elections next month though. Earliest is end of next year.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:50 pm
  • TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Assuming all gets approved. What comes first nhl relocation or nba expansion?

Hrd to tell but I would wager the NHL would bring the coyotes here almost immediately if that arena situation hasn't been rectified. I know that they say the key couldn't do hockey longterm but I wonder about a short term situation.

With Vegas getting the nod for expansion over Quebec I'm guessing they will be the next city to get an NHL team. They've already got the arena and an established fan base. The one thing Seattle has going for it is we're in the west which was one of the determining factors in the decision for Vegas.

But both the Coyotes and the 'Canes have unsettled situations so anything is possible.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:11 pm
  • edit
    Last edited by kobebryant on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:16 pm
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Assuming all gets approved. What comes first nhl relocation or nba expansion?

Walker said if he had to hazard a guess the NHL would be here first and they are "ahead" of the NBA at this point.
    As for the Key it is horrible for Hockey as one end is sight line impaired and designed that way by Barry Ackerly, but I think in the past the NHL has said they can play there for a year or so if a new arena is being built.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 pm
  • I think if Hansen gets this done, a potential NHL owner will pony up in a second, even if none are fighting for the arena right now.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Port commisioner already saying nothing has changed. Doesnt he realize most game are midweek at 7 at night?

They just had to chime in....

"We've been an economic engine for our region for over a hundred years," Creighton said. "We've made it clear, working with the Mayor, that there are other funding sources that we could mutually explore at the Federal, State, and local levels.

Was that a "We don't need your stinking money" reply? :lol:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:17 pm
  • So go into debt and cost the taxpayers because you want to be obstinate when you have someone willing to foot the bill right now and not have to delay fixing the situation.

He also stated that he would be happy with ripping up the current agreement because they could leverage another sight location for the Arena.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:46 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So go into debt and cost the taxpayers because you want to be obstinate when you have someone willing to foot the bill right now and not have to delay fixing the situation.

He also stated that he would be happy with ripping up the current agreement because they could leverage another sight location for the Arena.

The port wants the land for themselves that CH now owns. This has never been about jobs or traffic as the port has claimed, it's about the power and ego's of the port.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 pm
  • Maybe I am completely wrong but isn't the port getting it's ass kicked by the Panama canal expansion? On top of that one of their biggest customers Hanjin went bust.

Surely if anything they would merge with the Port of Tacoma to stay competitive and use the terminals used for Hanjin to develop more cruise ship terminals. Therefore not needing more land? Or is this to do with headquarter space, similar to Wayerhausser moving downtown?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:58 pm
  • True on most points. They do want CH's land for their new HQ's.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:56 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:True on most points. They do want CH's land for their new HQ's.

Guess they should look to those other sources to bid for it then, I'm sure the Taxpayers will foot the bill, right?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:09 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:True on most points. They do want CH's land for their new HQ's.

Guess they should look to those other sources to bid for it then, I'm sure the Taxpayers will foot the bill, right?

Of course.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Port commisioner already saying nothing has changed. Doesnt he realize most game are midweek at 7 at night?

They just had to chime in....

"We've been an economic engine for our region for over a hundred years," Creighton said. "We've made it clear, working with the Mayor, that there are other funding sources that we could mutually explore at the Federal, State, and local levels.

Was that a "We don't need your stinking money" reply? :lol:

Oh they want money, just not their money. Hansen's throwing in tens of millions to fix the port's fake street issues......yet the what has the port offered up? Last I saw a measly 5 million to help fix their street issues that make them billions a year.

What a hero for the region Creighton is.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:18 am
  • I'm tired of the port, they have been little bitches about this the entire time.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 am
  • So what are the next steps? Is it voting on street vacation again...guessing that won't happen till next year.

Still think there will be some obstacle with key arena- the council wanting the arena group to pay for its demolition or find an alternative use or some BS.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 am
  • CPHawk wrote:I'm tired of the port, they have been little bitches about this the entire time.

They aren't the only ones, Seattle times and Mariners are also in the little bitch group
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:42 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:I'm tired of the port, they have been little bitches about this the entire time.

They aren't the only ones, Seattle times and Mariners are also in the little bitch group

Very true!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So what are the next steps? Is it voting on street vacation again...guessing that won't happen till next year.

Still think there will be some obstacle with key arena- the council wanting the arena group to pay for its demolition or find an alternative use or some BS.

Wally Walker was on with Softy yesterday and said they've submitted the new proposal to the city and county councils, but that the soonest they'd be able to look at it is December or early 2017..........which in political speak is probably summer of 2017.

As far as the M's go, Walker said he is very good friends with John Stanton the M's new majority owner.......so maybe that climate's changed a little and the M's will stop being pains in the ass.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 pm

• :crutches:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:28 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/mayors-office-quietly-exploring-keyarena-remodel-still-plans-to-pursue/342320543

road blocks already starting...yesterdays feel good vibe already gone.

I don't think this is going anywhere with this mayor and council. The mayor usually influences the council.

Yep Mayor is already waffling and bringing up the dead horse to bead all dead horses..........Key Arena.

Which just tells you why the councils have blinders on. They don't care how good the SoDo Arena proposals are, they don't want to be left holding the bag of a terribly outdated Key Arena.

Reason #213 as to why a city or county should NEVER own a venue, they're terrible managers, lose money hand over fist for the taxpayers and hold everyone hostage.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 am
  • How much would it cost to demolish it? I assume not much given its nowhere near as big as the Kingdome. Make that part of the agreement with Hansen then build some affordable housing there. Everyone then ends up happy.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:16 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:How much would it cost to demolish it? I assume not much given its nowhere near as big as the Kingdome. Make that part of the agreement with Hansen then build some affordable housing there. Everyone then ends up happy.

The land is extremely valuable........so yeah the city could certainly do something with it other than keep trying to make it a viable venue.

But that's require them spending more of our tax dollars on some hairbrained project that you know would be over budget from day one, would make half of what was promised and be another albatross over the tax payer's heads 20 years from now.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am
  • Wow, shots fired!

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... r-nba-nhl/

Now we know why Hansen rushed out his statement saying he'd pay for the entire arena. He's screwed if this is legit, no way in hell the city and county would approve his arena proposal if they have a group willing to renovate Key Arena.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:12 am
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:37 pm
  • This needs to hurry and happen so the Blazers can get back into the business of beating the sonics (since I can no longer brag about the ducks dominating the huskies and cougs).
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Wow, shots fired!

Now we know why Hansen rushed out his statement saying he'd pay for the entire arena. He's screwed if this is legit, no way in hell the city and county would approve his arena proposal if they have a group willing to renovate Key Arena.

Yeah that explains why Hansen did this. If this does happen, he is screwed. Well not screwed, but he won't get his arena. He can probably still profit if he were to sell that land.

I honestly don't get why anyone would want to see Key Arena renovated. I don't think any renovation is going to give us the type of arena and entertainment center we need. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they renovate the Key in the mid 90's, only to be told a few years later that it wasn't a "viable" option for the NBA. Renovate it today, and we will be going through this all over again in 10-15 years.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:This needs to hurry and happen so the Blazers can get back into the business of beating the sonics (since I can no longer brag about the ducks dominating the huskies and cougs).

I don't know why but I never hated the Blazers growing up. I hated the Lakers, Jazz and even the Suns way more than the Blazers.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Wow, shots fired!

I dont recall reading the Seattle Times version, but the story that I read about this proposal said that the traffic implications were significantly worse than the SoDo proposal as well as the places that used to be parking was purchased by the Gates and developed into housing, shopping, and business ventures.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:This needs to hurry and happen so the Blazers can get back into the business of beating the sonics (since I can no longer brag about the ducks dominating the huskies and cougs).

I'd tolerate that for a few years if that means an arena is built and Seattle gets an NHL team. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 pm
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Wow, shots fired!

I dont recall reading the Seattle Times version, but the story that I read about this proposal said that the traffic implications were significantly worse than the SoDo proposal as well as the places that used to be parking was purchased by the Gates and developed into housing, shopping, and business ventures.

You read right. Traffic is much worse around the Seattle Center thanks to a population boom and the "Mercer mess" than it was in 2008.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 pm
  • Parking around there sucked as far back as the 70's. There simply is no place to put cars. (see Century Link and Safeco).
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:43 pm
  • I'm sure the nba is going to be super excited to return to Key Arena. Not. And traffic around there is crap, just on a normal day with Amazon and all that other stuff in the area now.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information