Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:02 pm
  • They have talks and proposals etc, that's all smoke screen, it really needs a demolition and a restart, because it's built below ground level on the playing surface and would need excavation to really enlarge it properly, then adding suites and better lines of sites due to the concrete columns, rotating the playing surface would mean also having to adjust the sightlines from all of the seats and suites, also there are only two ways to expand seating, dig deeper or raise the roof.

The suites are the important factor, they need at least double what they have to make future revenue viable, or we will be in the same boat 5 years after it gets a face lift, you know what happens with face lifts, sooner or later they start to sag as well and you need another.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:37 pm
  • I think they are just trying to see how much that they can squeeze out of Hansen.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 am
  • So let me get this straight...

Seattle is willing to blow god knows how much to remodel that hellhole, than let a group of private investors privately pay for one just because they're in the pockets of the port? Seattles gotta purge their entire political landscape in a week or so when they get the chance.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:49 am
  • Throwdown wrote:So let me get this straight...

Seattle is willing to blow god knows how much to remodel that hellhole, than let a group of private investors privately pay for one just because they're in the pockets of the port? Seattles gotta purge their entire political landscape in a week or so when they get the chance.

This is the problem with city's and county's owning public arenas and stadiums............it clouds their decision making.

If you were on the council would you want to approve Hansen's deal which would render Key Arena a vacant building and a gigantic albatross around the city's neck losing millions every year?

THIS is the issue no one's talking about enough. The port is only a small part of this, IMO the biggest roadblock is the fact that Key Arena is a publicly held arena that loses money now so they county's want someone to come in and renovate it and make it profitable again.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:11 am
  • Why does the Mayor hate the Sonics?

I really don't know anything about this whole situation, but from an outsiders point of view, it seems that Hansen being allowed to build an arena equals Seattle getting an NBA team. While refurbishing an old old in the ground equals good public money thrown after bad, and NO NBA team.

Again, from an outsiders point of view, I would think that the NBA would look at Key Arena as a Citie's priorities being it's buildings, and not a team.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:04 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Why does the Mayor hate the Sonics?

I really don't know anything about this whole situation, but from an outsiders point of view, it seems that Hansen being allowed to build an arena equals Seattle getting an NBA team. While refurbishing an old old in the ground equals good public money thrown after bad, and NO NBA team.

Again, from an outsiders point of view, I would think that the NBA would look at Key Arena as a Citie's priorities being it's buildings, and not a team.

I answered your question above.............the city owns Key Arena and wants it to be a profitable money making property. So they'd rather have a billionaire build them a new Key Arena than a billionaire build his own building elsewhere cutting them out of the profits.

The NBA and NHL don't care where the building is, they just want a new one that fits both their needs and the Seattle market.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 pm
  • This is exactly why I hate politics. Just let the man build the damn arena.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:48 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Why does the Mayor hate the Sonics?

I answered your question above.............the city owns Key Arena and wants it to be a profitable money making property. So they'd rather have a billionaire build them a new Key Arena than a billionaire build his own building elsewhere cutting them out of the profits.

The NBA and NHL don't care where the building is, they just want a new one that fits both their needs and the Seattle market.

But Key Arena, even refurbished, isn't going to cut it long-term for either the NBA or the NHL. And therein lies the issue. The city is cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:49 am
  • Throwdown wrote:So let me get this straight...

If I lived in he Seattle city limits, I'd vote against the 5 that voted against the street vacation regardless of party affiliation or other issues.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:52 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:This is exactly why I hate politics. Just let the man build the damn arena.

Agreed 110%.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:04 am
  • Did anyone listen to Brock and Salk this morning? Apparently they had the mayor on. Don't have the stream yet, or atleast Im not seeing it.

Really interested in hearing what he has to say.

My opinion is that if Leiwike (sp) is really on board to renevate key arena, thats always going to be the cities pref, as Sgt. Largent has eloquently typed out above.

But in the end of the day, I bet they're just doing that lip service to squeeze some more money out of hansen to help them with the black hole that is Key Arena.

Heres the next headline "Hansen group now comes back with more money, not only will they fund the landaur st project but also a portion whatever the heck you could do with Key to make it not lose millions each year"
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:28 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Why does the Mayor hate the Sonics?

But Key Arena, even refurbished, isn't going to cut it long-term for either the NBA or the NHL. And therein lies the issue. The city is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Maybe, the mayor said that's what the new study being done by Lieweke and his group is going to show.........whether they can establish a new footprint in that tight of space that will be big enough to build or remodel Key Arena to accomodate both the NBA and NHL.

All I heard this morning is blah blah blah five more years of arguing and nonsense.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:20 pm
  • The Bring Back the Sonics twitter account had a good string of tweets that explained the situation pretty well.

https://twitter.com/BringBackSonics

Basically the mayor and SCC are really really concerned about the Key, and until the Key situation is resolved, they'll continue to block the Sodo plan.

So maybe if Leiweke comes back with a proposal, maybe it won't work, maybe it will and the mayor and SCC approve it. We don't know yet. But the Key is in the way right now of them excepting Hansen's deal.

There needs to be closure with the Key.

I'll add, I think that its completely ridiculous... but were dealing with Seattle politics here. Its all ridiculous.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:36 pm
  • And to show how dumb all of this is...

Seriously? What?

Mean tweets somehow were destructive to the Sodo arena getting done? Mean tweets....

:34853_doh:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:And to show how dumb all of this is...

Seriously? What?

Mean tweets somehow were destructive to the Sodo arena getting done? Mean tweets....

They left out 'unflattering forum threads'.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58 pm
  • This still comes back to the City trying to save face for screwing up the non support when we had a Basketball team, they were left holding the bag on the Arena and Poetry sessions and Ice Capades have not been able to cover what expenses they are on the hook for.

Now they have a guy wanting to build a new Arena, refurbish a whole area of town but have this lame duck Venue that costs them money, they know everyone will be wanting to use the new Arena if it was built, If I remember correctly Hansen was going to upgrade the Arena as well as part of the original MOU, very simply they want someone to pay for it to be fixed and then collect the money and not have any competition and have the ability to run it how they see fit.

Best thing that could happen is have Ceiling tiles start falling and it be declared an unsafe environment,
    or a sink hole open up under it.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:21 pm
  • Sounds like Mitch is going to have the guy who did the original numbers for remodeling Key, and it sounds like he's going to pretty much say the city is lying, and there is absolutely no way you can do it for the numbers they are throwing around. It's sounding like the city wants someone to tell them what they want to hear, so they can tell Hanson no SoDo arena. Even though reality is, it will cost a hell of a lot more than any report the city puts out.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:23 pm
  • FearTheBeak wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:And to show how dumb all of this is...

Seriously? What?

They left out 'unflattering forum threads'.

:2thumbs:

Just think how much their sensitive little feelings will be hurt when they get voted out!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:08 pm
  • Situations like this are why I really HATE politicians.
    They are all scum!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:59 am
  • Anyone catch the Mitch in the Morning interview with Ed Murray?

http://www.iheart.com/show/Mitch-in-the ... d=27812659

Murray is horrible, defensive right from the start. :roll:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:47 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:And to show how dumb all of this is...

Seriously? What?

yeah that sounds like crap. tweets are mean, they're.......tweets
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/7/11 ... l-vacation
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:01 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:

Seriously? What?

Hahaha. If you live in these peoples district, make them feel worse by voting them out.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:57 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:

Seriously? What?

Hahaha. If you live in these peoples district, make them feel worse by voting them out.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:18 am
  • So he is saying that the members of the council and city will retaliate to the fans by voting no to spite them because they disagree with them voting no?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So he is saying that the members of the council and city will retaliate to the fans by voting no to spite them because they disagree with them voting no?

Retaliate? Probably too strong of a word.

What Mayor Murray is saying is that it doesn't help to Tweet, email and directly act hostile towards him or the council members. It's not pro-active, and I agree with him.

There's a reason Chris Hansen is 100% positive and polite ALL the time, because he's a businessman and knows that's the best way to get what you want from the people you need support from. Sonic and arena supporters should follow suit, it does absolutely no good, so why do it?
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:02 am
  • It's voicing the publics displeasure with how they handle things, there is a difference between calling them names and calling them out.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:32 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

I wonder if Costco is selling Kansas City/Omaha Kings, Kentucky Colonels, Cincinatti Royals, Buffalo Braves Vancouver Grizzlies or San Diego Clippers gear?
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Boner
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Amazing!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:30 pm
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:34 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:08 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Hell yeah, baby!!!!
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/7/11 ... l-vacation
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:15 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Is he in the group as part-owner?

Looks like it, he'll be a minority owner.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:20 pm
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:26 pm
  • What a great guy.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:54 pm
  • He always said he wants to be an owner.
    "May the force be with you."

RIP Carrie Fisher, 1956-2016
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:14 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:It's voicing the publics displeasure with how they handle things, there is a difference between calling them names and calling them out.

I'm not sure how the voicing displeasure tactic will work given that half of the people in Seattle don't think an arena should be a priority. Just seems to antagonize people you might want to get help from. Seems like a really bad strategy to me.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    rigelian
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:07 pm
  • rigelian wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's voicing the publics displeasure with how they handle things, there is a difference between calling them names and calling them out.

I'm not sure how the voicing displeasure tactic will work given that half of the people in Seattle don't think an arena should be a priority. Just seems to antagonize people you might want to get help from. Seems like a really bad strategy to me.

So kiss their ass and vote for them some more so they will maybe support you on something unless someone else has a higher profile issue that will get them more votes?

Half the people is Seattle are not even from here anymore so screw them also if they want to stand in the way of a Team that was Born here before they were part of this area.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:28 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    rigelian wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's voicing the publics displeasure with how they handle things, there is a difference between calling them names and calling them out.

So kiss their ass and vote for them some more so they will maybe support you on something unless someone else has a higher profile issue that will get them more votes?

Half the people is Seattle are not even from here anymore so screw them also if they want to stand in the way of a Team that was Born here before they were part of this area.

Calling them out for what? Following the wishes of a majority of their constituents? This fight isn't going to be won by an angry mob, but by people who can play the game politically. I can't believe how poorly Sonics fans have played this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    rigelian
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 am
  • rigelian wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    rigelian wrote:

Calling them out for what? Following the wishes of a majority of their constituents? This fight isn't going to be won by an angry mob, but by people who can play the game politically. I can't believe how poorly Sonics fans have played this.

To judge an entire fanbase on the actions of a few is a disingenuous stance at best.
    The Seattle city council and the mayor have been epic failures on the arena issue and other issues.
    They have earned most of the scorn and ridicule they have received and if that hurts their little feelings then they probably needs to find a new line of work as they are too thin skinned to be politicians.

CH has offered to build the arena himself and these assclowns are hemming and hawing over it because they are in the port's pockets and the port wants the land that CH OWNS for themseleves.

These clowns (the SCC) are exhibit A on why most people despise politicians.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:49 am
  • It's politics not bean bag. Meaning, you find line up another power constituency to line up and put into play or in the alternative a project that the community really wants as well.

The notion that you're going to abuse the politicians into supporting an arena is stupid. There isn't a sufficient base of Seattle voters that will vote on the issue.

As for being too thin skinned to be politicians, they got elected and the actions of the angry mob probably will help them get elected again.

rigelian
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:56 am
  • I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.
    I can guarantee you if this was about a new art museum it would be rubber stamped thru the city council.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:30 pm
  • Winning a Super Bowl and maybe having a hand in bringing the Sonics back to town? Should have stayed single Russ, you could have had your way with pretty much every 30+ male in Washington.
    Last edited by Seanhawk on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:40 pm
  • rigelian wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    rigelian wrote:

Flipping on the issue, I think 3 voted for initially then waffeled back screwing the proposal due to being bought and paid for by the Port and the Mariners.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:39 pm
  • Russell's joined Chris Hansen. Smart man, he knows that the only way we get the NBA, is with Hansen's arena.

The Mayors idea is a delaying tactic. We get that all the time in Alaska. Every election politician's promise a natural gas line, and they've been doing so for decades.

If you want something done, don't let politician's get involved, they a re like quicksand. Just look at the Rams, and compare them to San Diego. One is all Owner, the other is looking for help from "the people."
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:51 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/russell-wilson-lets-bring-the-sonics-back-to-seattle/

What a great piece from Russell!

Wait, was Russ seriously a Sonics fan growing up?
    "May the force be with you."

RIP Carrie Fisher, 1956-2016
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information