2014 Triple Crown Races

Largent80

Reaction score
Every year I try to handicap the Derby so here goes. The idea is to place a superfecta box bet, trying to get the spots filled in by longshots. The Derby usually produces big underneath numbers.

Here goes....
California Chrome has been running great and is the deserving favorite.
Candy Boy may have beaten C.C. last time out if he gets a clean break.
Dance with Fate, a stretch runner that appears will like the added distance, however, this race is on dirt where he appears to prefer synthetic turf.
Danza, uncorked a 102 Beyer out of nowhere, was flying late.

So, I am boxing California Chrome,Candy Boy, Dance with Fate, and Danza. 10c x 24 = $2.40 or
$1 x 24 = $24.00

If all 4 of those come in 1 - 4........in any order I cash.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1sh22b73 said:
Yeah, but who do you WANT to win? ;)

I would love to see a horse win the triple crown again and Chrome has the best chance. As far as my bet goes I want him in 4th place..... :th2thumbs:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I just gave my brother 4 horses to BOX for a tri and Super.
CC, CB, WS, Danza.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
This race has always been hard to handicap. Generally, there are large underneath odds. Just have to get the right ones. I like WS as well, but I'm not paying the extra to throw it in.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
For todays Oaks, I am going with a 4 horse box....

Untapable
My Miss Sophia
Fashion Plate
Ria Antonia

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I am going over the form to try and make sure I did not overlook anything. So I wanted to re-examine my picks.

CC is staying obviously

CB is a mystery horse, and I am a Gary Stevens homer. I am considering tossing him for Wicked Strong, who freaked with a 104 Beyer on April 4th. That was by FAR his best race ever, but he breaks from #20 which may not hurt him since he isn't a front runner.

Dance with Fate has done no wrong this year so far taking a race at Santa Anita (on turf), Golden Gate and then Keeneland in the Blue Grass with a 97 (on synthetic). I am concerned about his record on conventional dirt, but he has shown versatility and the pace today should set up his kick if he likes the track.

Danza is another one that freaked in the Arkansas Derby with a 102 @ 41 to 1 odds :shock: Up to that point he probably doesn't even run in this race.

So, I'm still on the fence between Candy Boy, Danza and Wicked Strong.

Arrrgggghhhh

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Watching the undercard. Track bias is on the pace or slightly off. Keep in mind Mike Smith went from Intense Holiday to ride Hopportunity which is scratched. John Velazquez gets the ride and when he rides a horse for the first time the results are usually good, he is 14 to 1. Tons of speed in this race and 19 horses, anything can happen.

With that in mind here are the picks.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":2e2bu72f said:
I got 2 out of 4. Glad Chrome won and hope he can win the triple crown
So did I. LOL. If I would have went with the AP Indy/Pulpit sire line, I would have nailed it.

I love Chrome though. What a story. Bred from an 8,000 dollar mare that they then bred to a 1,500 stallion. That is a big FU to the rich snobs in KY. Top off the fact that CC descends in female line to Swap's family and has a double of him in his Dam's pedigree. Then the 77 yr old trainer was the exercise rider for Swap's(for those that don't know, Swaps won the 1955 Derby). The owner's racing partnership is DAP (Dumb-ass-partners-lol. NO Lie), and they have a jack ass on the back of their racing silks. Oh, and the trainer's last name is SHERMAN!!!!!
Blue Collar won the Derby!!!!

:th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, they had a great story on earlier in the show about how the jackass made it onto the silks. Art Sherman was so happy afterwards, and they looked like Mutt and Jeff.

I don't know the Beyer he ran but his final 1/4 musta been pretty quick and he galloped out looking for more. It looked like Victor gave him a hand ride all the way save a love tap at the top of the stretch.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me his sister called him a few times about a bet. He did not have time to handicap the race and finally at about 1 hour to go, sis called and he randomly picked 5. Dont see the money yet...but some day. A friend taught me handicapping at LES Bois Park in Boise. His family lived in Federal Way WA. Many many many years ago.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Largent80":30l96epe said:
I am boxing 1-3-5-8 10c superfecta...$2.40.

Many many moons ago I was at Les Bois Park in Boise for the Belmont. I superfecta bet 4 and they came in. I had about 5 dolla on it and raked about 720. Had to fill out a damm w4 for it for some stupid reason. Idiots here. I should have told my buddy to parley that 50 or so from a couple of weeks ago to this one too. CC.

:thirishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Bo Derek told them to mount their horses. I like that :shock:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: