Question about the OKC and the Sonics history...

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • preface:
    Okay, so I'm cheering for the Spurs to smoke the OKC in the WCF!!!

    So I was looking up the team, I see they "obtained the 1979 championship" through the purchase back in 2007.

    WTF?

    OUR SONICS won the 1979 Championship, NOT the OKC, so you can hang the banner in your stadium. But it don't mean sh*t, it was won IN SEATTLE!! NOT OKC.

    Here's my question, they don't EVEN HAVE THE SAME NAME, so how does this work. How can they really "feel" that they won SQUAT?!!

    And... and why would we sell OUR HISTORY?!!!
    Last edited by tom sawyer on Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1737
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:31 am


  • Because our Local City government screwed us over.

    Van Gundy states it best.

    sammyc521
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4633
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • *Opens thread in spite of himself*

    *Reads the first two lines of the original post*

    *Vomits*
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4282
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest




  • I think once Seattle gets a team back, they should work with the Thunder to get their history back. Worked out for the Charlotte Hornets.
    korboko
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 153
    Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:24 pm


  • You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7570
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

    I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • OKC doesn't have anything hanging that links em to Seattle, all the stuff is stored up somewhere in seattle I believe.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 20681
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA


  • pinksheets wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

    I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.


    Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

    Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

    "The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

    Should have fought harder to at least keep those.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7570
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

    I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.


    Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

    Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

    "The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

    Should have fought harder to at least keep those.


    That stuff is in storage at MOHAI.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

    Shared history. But that was for 5 years, as long as Seattle acquired a team. Who knows how it stands now as its been over 5 years.


    Doesn't really mean much, Charlotte JUST got their history back a few days ago when they changed their name from the bobcats to the hornets.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 20681
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA




It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests