Question about the OKC and the Sonics history...

tom sawyer

Reaction score
preface:
Okay, so I'm cheering for the Spurs to smoke the OKC in the WCF!!!

So I was looking up the team, I see they "obtained the 1979 championship" through the purchase back in 2007.

WTF?

OUR SONICS won the 1979 Championship, NOT the OKC, so you can hang the banner in your stadium. But it don't mean sh*t, it was won IN SEATTLE!! NOT OKC.

Here's my question, they don't EVEN HAVE THE SAME NAME, so how does this work. How can they really "feel" that they won SQUAT?!!

And... and why would we sell OUR HISTORY?!!!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Because our Local City government screwed us over.

Van Gundy states it best.

[youtube]YI7BZ3Qij94[/youtube]

korboko

Reaction score
I think once Seattle gets a team back, they should work with the Thunder to get their history back. Worked out for the Charlotte Hornets.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

pinksheets

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1lgha3rt said:
You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.
I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.

Throwdown

Reaction score
OKC doesn't have anything hanging that links em to Seattle, all the stuff is stored up somewhere in seattle I believe.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pinksheets":3sa5wvwd said:
hawkfan68":3sa5wvwd said:
I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.

Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

"The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

Should have fought harder to at least keep those.

pinksheets

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2q9mmcxe said:
pinksheets":2q9mmcxe said:
hawkfan68":2q9mmcxe said:

Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

"The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

Should have fought harder to at least keep those.

That stuff is in storage at MOHAI.

Throwdown

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2yodln2r said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

Shared history. But that was for 5 years, as long as Seattle acquired a team. Who knows how it stands now as its been over 5 years.

Doesn't really mean much, Charlotte JUST got their history back a few days ago when they changed their name from the bobcats to the hornets.