Steve Ballmer possibly buying the Clippers

tifferradish

Reaction score
On TMZ, they are reporting that Shelly Sterling is meeting with Steve Ballmer to sell the team. Since Donald handed the team over to her, it looks like she just wants to get rid of them on her terms. I know it will probably be a challenge to move them, but anyone with a brain knows that Ballmer wants them back in Seattle. This is exciting!

chris98251

Reaction score
tifferradish":3rq9kq53 said:
On TMZ, they are reporting that Shelly Sterling is meeting with Steve Ballmer to sell the team. Since Donald handed the team over to her, it looks like she just wants to get rid of them on her terms. I know it will probably be a challenge to move them, but anyone with a brain knows that Ballmer wants them back in Seattle. This is exciting!

Once bitten twice shy, when it's approved and the transaction is finalized it becomes exciting, until then I look at it as the Kings a simple leverage game to drive the price up.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way the Clippers would move to Seattle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This would be the worst case scenario for Seattle. If Ballmer buys the Clips, Hansen then loses his big fish for his group and there is no way the Clips are moving from LA. This would be terrible news for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't see them moving as a problem, Lakers would love to be only game in town again, we have an established market and they would have their own arena.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm resigned to the fact that we aren't getting a team here for a long long time if ever, if we lose Ballmer

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Posted on May 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Updated today at 10:40 PM

SEATTLE - Local Politicians, Port Leaders, and Sports Fans are among those watching the ongoing negotiations surrounding the Los Angeles Clippers and specifically, the actions of arguably Seattle's #1 basketball fan.

On Sunday, TMZ reported former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer met with Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling at her Malibu mansion, to discuss the sale of the franchise. Sterling's lawyer was also present for the meeting, according to the report. Donald Sterling recently surrendered control of the team to his wife, and the NBA has been pushing for a sale since Sterling's racially charged, recorded comments were released.

The news of the meeting sent tongues wagging, again, in Seattle. Ballmer was part of the unsuccessful effort to buy the Sacramento Kings franchise, and is part of the group which is financing a new arena complex.

He told the Wall Street Journal on May 15th, that "If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don’t work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive."

Ballmer is still considered a long shot for the Clippers franchise, which is expected to receive multiple bidders in a true open market. He is a minority investor in the land acquisition, for the proposed Seattle Arena, south of Safeco Field, and was believed to have agreed to a minority share of the Kings purchase. The majority of the financial burden was assumed by Chris Hansen.

Hansen has remained silent on Ballmer's recent business transactions.
NBA owners are expected to rule June 3rd on the future of the Clippers, and according to one sports law expert, that may be prompting Shelly Sterling to aggressively market the franchise this week.

"This is the last week for the Sterlings to legally own the Clippers," says Michael McCann, who is the Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire. "Maybe this is the last attempt to see if they can avoid litigation."

McCann says the NBA, and Commissioner Adam Silver, will likely have a strong say over who controls the team. "Shelly is a non controlling owner. She doesn't have the legal capacity to sell the team," he says, adding that there is a possibility the Sterlings are going through all the motions to "strengthen their legal case" against the NBA.

McCann adds that there is still an incentive for the Sterlings to fight, and avoid the costly tax bill that would come with a sale. "If the Sterlings sell the team now, they are going to have to pay capital gains taxes."
The Seattle Arena project is currently undergoing an environmental review, and is scheduled to be completed now by the end of summer.

http://www.king5.com/sports/Clippers-ow ... fb=y&can=n

Throwdown

Reaction score
So most of that was Hansen's money in the whole Kings fiasco?!

How much is Chris worth then? I know he's a billionaire, but we're talking about all the land he's bought, the commitment of what 200 million towards the arena and however much the offer was for the Kings.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
A report Sunday that Steve Ballmer was in Los Angeles for a meeting to discuss buying the Clippers is a big deal for Seattle basketball fans.

No, not because Ballmer is going to move the Clippers to Seattle. Ballmer himself has already stated, as would most semi-competent businessmen, that he’d keep the Clippers in the City of Angels.

It’s highly unlikely Ballmer would risk harming the value of a moneymaking Clippers franchise so recklessly by moving them here, given the $1 billion price tag he’d likely pay to get the team. Nor much chance the NBA would allow Ballmer to pull a Clay Bennett out of the nation’s second-biggest market.

Still, this is a big deal for Seattle, if only in what it means for Chris Hansen and his efforts to build a Sodo arena and revive the NBA here. Up until now, those efforts have been with Ballmer and his billions at Hansen’s side.

If Ballmer heads for Los Angeles as a Clippers owner, it effectively ends any NBA role he’d play here and deals a serious blow to Hansen’s plan.

“It would knock the lights out of it,’’ a veteran Seattle politico said Sunday. “There are deep pockets and there are small pockets. It doesn’t take much work to figure out who has the deep pockets and who has the small ones in that partnership.’’

Now, it isn’t automatically a death blow. After all, Hansen first launched his Sodo project well before Ballmer climbed aboard. But there’s a reason Hansen took Ballmer on as his biggest partner in the first place: money talks in pro sports.

And it’s fair to wonder whether Hansen has enough of his own money to go at it without Ballmer. Or whether he’ll again be out working the wealthy side of the street for help.

Hansen could not immediately be reached for comment through his spokesman, Rollin Fatland.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/202369 ... 26xml.html

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
While it won't happen, it would be pretty amusing if Ballmer pulled a Clay Bennett.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seriously, Ballmer talks to the NBA bigwigs. I'm sure they have told him Seattle won't be getting a team in the next few years, so he's given up and is trying to buy the Clips instead.

And since I can't get a stupid hockey-only arena from someone, I am screwed by association. I hope the NBA dies.

JOz56

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":399s3zrd said:
Seriously, Ballmer talks to the NBA bigwigs. I'm sure they have told him Seattle won't be getting a team in the next few years, so he's given up and is trying to buy the Clips instead.

And since I can't get a stupid hockey-only arena from someone, I am screwed by association. I hope the NBA dies.

haha, yup. This is where I'm at. Screw them and the horse they rode out on. Glad we played nice for those good will points that just don't matter.

I hope the prospective NHL ownership group say screw it and build their own damn stadium without the funds.

Throwdown

Reaction score
It's over :(

Ain't no one building an arena on speculation in Seattle, let's be real Seattle politicians would rather opera houses than arenas. Until it's a full house clean in Seattle neither the NBA/NHL will come.

At least we get half the year of enjoyment with the Hawks right?

JOz56

Reaction score
Throwdown":3a4ic66n said:

Ain't no one building an arena on speculation in Seattle, let's be real Seattle politicians would rather opera houses than arenas. Until it's a full house clean in Seattle neither the NBA/NHL will come.

Pretty much.

The city just astounds me sometimes.

Throwdown

Reaction score
It was a great effort from Hansen, and he'll always be that dude to me. But we don't even hear from him no more, and now we see this all star group fracturing with Ballmer's interest in the Clippers and keeping them in LA. It was great while it lasted... I guess, but oh well, ain't much to do now but sulk and realize it's still seattle, no matter how great the Seahawks are and how great it was to see the blue and green confetti falling as the player hoisted the Lombardi, it's still seattle and nothing good happens in sports, unless there's a 35 year gap between.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":38h1t384 said:

It's true, the politicians in this city suck, as most do.

Latest posts