2014 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Summer Transfer Window
Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 pm
  • Falcao. Manchester United. Tomorrow. What? I. Don't. Know. Words.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:16 am
  • French Reports are making their headlines about this. This would happen for 65M€. United would take over EPL.
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 am
  • Okay, this United stuff is some of the most ass backwards stuff I've seen for awhile. You run a 3 CB formation and have limited spots up front, so you bring in DiMaria and Falcao? If they were running a 4-1-2-1-2 I could see getting these players, but a WB formation? I say good for them, but I'm not sure what Van Gaal is doing. Very odd, good luck to them though, I just can't see how it will work, they really need more help at CB than ST.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 am
  • @MUFC agree with @AS_Monaco €10m loan fee for #Falcao w/ €55m option. The player asked to leave the club. He is on his way to Manchester
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 am
  • You don't need defenders or holding midfielders when you have 3 world class strikers and Di Maria.....
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 am
  • Panic...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 am
  • I have no idea why this move was made. Doesnt make a lick of sense.

Have to sell Rooney or RVP now. Can't foot the wage bill on all three. It would be stupid to do so. Even Man City and Chelsea don't pay for 3 of that caliber striker.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:25 am
  • Smurf wrote:I have no idea why this move was made. Doesnt make a lick of sense.

Have to sell Rooney or RVP now. Can't foot the wage bill on all three. It would be stupid to do so. Even Man City and Chelsea don't pay for 3 of that caliber striker.

Can't sell them Smurf...

Falcao is 28 and coming off an ACL tear. Hes too unreliable id imagine to push as your everyday striker.

Great player but was really the last thing United needed (Arsenal, hello?)

United won't go down without a fight....but this is just plain kicking and screaming. It'll either be magic or set them back 5-6 years
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:35 am
  • Its just ridiculous. His wages are absolutely stupid because he played for Monoco. I'd have prefered a strait transfer at 65 million vs a loan, allows a new contract be negotiated. Very frustrating. I'm just about up in arms over it. Assuming he is 3/4ths the player he was before the tear its going to force Rooney out of the top line.

I like the blind signing. Makes the backline better. Need a CB or 3 and a few holding CMs. Should have spent on khedira instead of Di Maria.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 am
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm
  • Falcao being signed by United on loan and they're gonna pay his full wages is just ridiculous and sheer desperation. They're gonna be paying a loan player more than they are paying their club captain!

Welbeck to Arsenal keeps being off and back on. It's almost a complete repeat of the Arteta saga from 2011.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 pm
  • They need defenders! Their defence is rotten. Apparently Cleverly knocked back Villa as he wanted too much money. Says it all.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:48 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:They need defenders! Their defence is rotten. Apparently Cleverly knocked back Villa as he wanted too much money. Says it all.

Cleverly appears to be heading to Everton. So......... yeah.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:22 pm
  • If you possess the ball you don't need great defenders. Speaking of Man U, they have the best offensive armada right now. Let's see what's gonna happen.
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:12 pm
  • Window closed. Arsenal and United given extensions to attempt to finish Welbeck and Falcao deals.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:30 pm
  • Nog wrote:If you possess the ball you don't need great defenders. Speaking of Man U, they have the best offensive armada right now. Let's see what's gonna happen.

A. No

2. That United team isnt set up for possession

Be interesting. Credit to them for going all in. Couple clubs seemed far too content the last day
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:48 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Nog wrote:If you possess the ball you don't need great defenders. Speaking of Man U, they have the best offensive armada right now. Let's see what's gonna happen.

A. No

2. That United team isnt set up for possession

Be interesting. Credit to them for going all in. Couple clubs seemed far too content the last day

He may not be set up that way, but Van Gaal plays with ball control. Mata, Herrera, Di Maria are really creative and try to keep the ball.

Anyway, now I'm reading on twitter that Falcap failed his medical. Shocking :shock:
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:06 pm
  • Welbeck to Arsenal confirmed
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:Welbeck to Arsenal confirmed

Is it really for 16 million?

It says undisclosed, but it probably is somewhere around 13-16 million, if I had to venture a guess.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:26 pm
  • Yeah it more than likely is, I'd honestly say he's worth 5 million at the very most. But you throw in the fact that Arsenal needed a striker desperately, and Falcao's wages are just plain ludicrous for a loanee, and you're trying to sign from a "direct rival", the price is gonna be inflated.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm
  • What a ridiculous day...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:What a ridiculous day...

Fans waving dildos, a reporter using the vanishing spray, 2 FHRITP idiots, Harry Redknapp refusing an in-car interview, 3 deals finished after the deadline, a tug of war over Cleverly and Borini was among the notable moments.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 pm
    Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:What a ridiculous day...

Fans waving dildos

Wat.

This
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:

Fans waving dildos, a reporter using the vanishing spray, 2 FHRITP idiots, Harry Redknapp refusing an in-car interview, 3 deals finished after the deadline, a tug of war over Cleverly and Borini was among the notable moments.

I'd add a 25 million dollar loan deal for a 28 year old striker coming off a major surgery, a 16 million dollar transfer of a striker who doesn't score and..well yeah the dildo was fumny
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:08 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:

I'd add a 25 million dollar loan deal for a 28 year old striker coming off a major surgery, a 16 million dollar transfer of a striker who doesn't score and..well yeah the dildo was fumny

I made the joke that Welbeck is the "English Gervinho", mostly cause he scores occasionally. He at least has pace, something Sanogo clearly lacks.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:16 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:

I made the joke that Welbeck is the "English Gervinho", mostly cause he scores occasionally. He at least has pace, something Sanogo clearly lacks.

He's a decent player out wide. Good pace and delivery. Just don't know about Sanchez in that " false 9" type role.

Sanago is alright in his defense...but missing Giroud hurts Arsenals overall attack. Maybe Welbeck improves it. Really they don't need goals from there, just link up play
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 am
  • On a side note, West Ham claimed Amalfitano for 1.5M€
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:51 am
  • So, with transfer window shut, has anyone's vision of the top 8 changed?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 am
  • United aren't in it for me anymore. Failed to bring in the right players for me. Only really like the Shaw and Blind signings. There has been some talk of Blind playing a CDM role for us.

Di Maria is a good player but wasn't a need (Mata, Young, Valancia, Janazaj).

I like Di Maria. Lots of industry, his heat maps are ridiculous. But just a lot of money for a player not really a need.

Falao is a weird one for me. I would have been fine with what we had, but I guess the thought is he is better than both Chicharito and Welbeck.

Love blind and Shaw though rate them really well.

Have to wait to decide on Rojo and Herrera.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:So, with transfer window shut, has anyone's vision of the top 8 changed?

Not really. I think it's Chelsea's league to lose at this point. Barring major injuries I think City, Liverpool, and Arsenal claim the rest of the top 4 in that order.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am
  • they will have to go in for Vidal or Pogba type player in the winter.. if they are even close at that point.

As for us... well, i love the 4-diamond-2 with Balo, and love how Sterling is underneath them. By the retun from international break we should have Lallana out on one end, Henderson on the other, Gerrard underneath with Marko, Cou and Allen on the bench.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:43 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:I made the joke that Welbeck is the "English Gervinho", mostly cause he scores occasionally. He at least has pace, something Sanogo clearly lacks.

He's a decent player out wide. Good pace and delivery. Just don't know about Sanchez in that " false 9" type role.

Sanago is alright in his defense...but missing Giroud hurts Arsenals overall attack. Maybe Welbeck improves it. Really they don't need goals from there, just link up play

The thing that's missing most from Giroud's injury is that Arsenal has no height up top. The Gunners were already the shortest team in the Premier League and losing Giroud made them even shorter. Welbeck will definitely help in terms of adapting the attack for them. It might work out, it might not. It's a risk, but it's better than just sitting there doing nothing about the problems in attack.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:So, with transfer window shut, has anyone's vision of the top 8 changed?

1) Chelsea
    2) Man City
    3) Arsenal
    4) Liverpool
    5) Man United

I had Arsenal finishing 2nd at the beginning of the year, and the rusty start, major injuries this early in the season and not signing a CDM is the biggest reason I've dropped them to 3rd. Welbeck will probably save Arsenal from falling further, but the Winter window is gonna make or break Arsenal's season yet again now.

United certainly made this a lot closer decision in the Top 4, but I can't help it, but they didn't truly fix the defensive problems. They clearly went with the "best defense is a good offense" but in this league that won't fly very far. Little bit of a hurrah in somehow convincing Di Maria and Falcao to join despite the lack of a Champions League at Old Trafford, but they were NOT what United needed and it's the biggest reason they will still miss out in the end.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 am
  • as a gooner im gutted

we should have bought a centercaback ,a left back ( giibs always injured and monreal is $h!t) a holding midfielder and a descent striker..hope welback does well but not holding my breath.another panic buy by wenger.
    on wenger i can not beleve he was in rome on transfer deadline day refereeing a charity match..i mean wtf
    when that came up why didnt he relise what day it was being played ??? unless he had no plans to buy anyone.

after watching us play leicester i have no hope for this season..wenger has lost le plot

in wenger we rust

rant over
    uk seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 pm
  • I am still seething over Newcastle's deadline day.

While the departure of Hatem Ben Arfa was inevitable due to him reportedly squaring up to Pardew, not losing weight and also not tracking back, I am very disappointed that we did not get any money for him. (His contract expires next year). I genuinely hope he thrives at Hull, and proves Pardew wrong for letting him go. Ben Arfa is a Champions League caliber player when fit.

We failed to bring in another striker, which was stupid, but even more stupid was the lack of a center-back arrival. I appreciate that we could still loan a player in, but center-back is the weakest area of the team. Colo looks well past his best.

So, imagine my anger when it was announced that despite managing to secure a replacement Yanga-Mbiwa had signed on loan with Roma. This leaves us with 3 CBs in the entire squad, and one of these center-backs is a terrible excuse for a footballer--Steven Taylor.

To make matters worse, Yanga-Mbiwa is available to Roma for 6million euros. We paid £8.5million for this Ligue 1 winner, who won the French title while captaining Montpellier. This is a player who was forced to play rb instead of his natural cb position for nearly every game he appeared for us.

Still, it isn't a bad thing for MYM. He goes from playing next to Massadio Haidara in a mediocre Premier league team to playing next to Ashley Cole in the Champions League. Awful business from Newcastle, and Obertan and Saylor still remain.
    MB12
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:06 pm
  • MB12 wrote:I am still seething over Newcastle's deadline day.

While the departure of Hatem Ben Arfa was inevitable due to him reportedly squaring up to Pardew, not losing weight and also not tracking back, I am very disappointed that we did not get any money for him. (His contract expires next year). I genuinely hope he thrives at Hull, and proves Pardew wrong for letting him go. Ben Arfa is a Champions League caliber player when fit.

We failed to bring in another striker, which was stupid, but even more stupid was the lack of a center-back arrival. I appreciate that we could still loan a player in, but center-back is the weakest area of the team. Colo looks well past his best.

So, imagine my anger when it was announced that despite managing to secure a replacement Yanga-Mbiwa had signed on loan with Roma. This leaves us with 3 CBs in the entire squad, and one of these center-backs is a terrible excuse for a footballer--Steven Taylor.

To make matters worse, Yanga-Mbiwa is available to Roma for 6million euros. We paid £8.5million for this Ligue 1 winner, who won the French title while captaining Montpellier. This is a player who was forced to play rb instead of his natural cb position for nearly every game he appeared for us.

Still, it isn't a bad thing for MYM. He goes from playing next to Massadio Haidara in a mediocre Premier league team to playing next to Ashley Cole in the Champions League. Awful business from Newcastle, and Obertan and Saylor still remain.

what happened with Lacazette? Thought he was pegged for Newcastle?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:07 pm
  • Pardew the puppet
    Attachments
    pardew lie.jpg
    pardew lie.jpg (44 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
    MB12
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    MB12 wrote:I am still seething over Newcastle's deadline day.

what happened with Lacazette? Thought he was pegged for Newcastle?

They wanted £16million, we don't pay that sort of money sadly--and sensibly
    MB12
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:18 pm
  • And by loan window, I meant emergency loan window. Or does that only apply to Football League Clubs?
    MB12
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:they will have to go in for Vidal or Pogba type player in the winter.. if they are even close at that point.

As for us... well, i love the 4-diamond-2 with Balo, and love how Sterling is underneath them. By the retun from international break we should have Lallana out on one end, Henderson on the other, Gerrard underneath with Marko, Cou and Allen on the bench.

No doubt SAF F'd up by not being able to retain Pogba. We developed the hell out of him but never gave him first team minutes and then he left on a free i believe. Should have played him more, and tried like hell to sign him.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm
    uk seahawk wrote:as a gooner im gutted

we should have bought a centercaback ,a left back ( giibs always injured and monreal is $h!t) a holding midfielder and a descent striker..hope welback does well but not holding my breath.another panic buy by wenger.
    on wenger i can not beleve he was in rome on transfer deadline day refereeing a charity match..i mean wtf
    when that came up why didnt he relise what day it was being played ??? unless he had no plans to buy anyone.

after watching us play leicester i have no hope for this season..wenger has lost le plot

in wenger we rust

rant over

Eagerly awaiting Gate's rebuttal to this. I agree with everything here, Arsenal looked completely toothless against Leicester - and that's a game you should be winning comfortably as a top-4 team.

we was tootless..once we passed the halfway line we lacked confidence and devoid of ideas..in defence we still play zonal marking at set pieces..i also agree with you..if we want to be a top team we must win these games..and i still can not beleve wenger was in rome playing a referee..would pete carroll be doing the same on nfl draft day..no he wont.
    all other managers shop at macy or neiman marcus..wenger goes to the doller store and hope he can find a gem.
    and consider this..we pay for the most expencive tickets in the epl and wenger is on 8 million a year.
    the fans deserve better
    uk seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm
  • I want to transfer all games on the Hawks schedule to automatic wins.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I want to transfer all games on the Hawks schedule to automatic wins.

Are you willing to pay wages and agent fees though?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm
    uk seahawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    uk seahawk wrote:as a gooner im gutted

in wenger we rust

rant over

Eagerly awaiting Gate's rebuttal to this. I agree with everything here, Arsenal looked completely toothless against Leicester - and that's a game you should be winning comfortably as a top-4 team.

we was tootless..once we passed the halfway line we lacked confidence and devoid of ideas..in defence we still play zonal marking at set pieces..i also agree with you..if we want to be a top team we must win these games..and i still can not beleve wenger was in rome playing a referee..would pete carroll be doing the same on nfl draft day..no he wont.
    all other managers shop at macy or neiman marcus..wenger goes to the doller store and hope he can find a gem.
    and consider this..we pay for the most expencive tickets in the epl and wenger is on 8 million a year.
    the fans deserve better

Well, last season, I said if Wenger doesn't win a trophy, he's out. Well, they won the FA cup, and that's still a pretty significant piece of silverware. Is it enough to satisfy the fans into another few years of finishing 4th and not winning trophies?

no..the fa cup is ok..but as wigan showed with a bit of luck anyone can win it..even tottenham

the fa cup is ocer 6 games but a season is over ten months..and we dont want forth..thats failure..we are bigger club than that..we havnt replaced van persie..yet looks like man united have replaced him before arsenal
    uk seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am
  • MB12 wrote:I am still seething over Newcastle's deadline day.

Obertan? :mrgreen: :lol:

Why do you guys invest that much in french players? That's a serious question!
    Nog
    NET Rookie

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I want to transfer all games on the Hawks schedule to automatic wins.

No, but I am willing to sell Yedlin. As long as he orders fries animal style.... :lol:

Just joshin with you guys. You know I can't stand soccer, but I like you guys.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I want to transfer all games on the Hawks schedule to automatic wins.

No, but I am willing to sell Yedlin. As long as he orders fries animal style.... :lol:

Just joshin with you guys. You know I can't stand soccer, but I like you guys.

Yedlin's already been sold. Also, he's not yours to sell.

Also, I want a cheeseburger now.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Previous

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information