Does anyone watch UFC anymore

Subzero717

Reaction score
Obviously people still watch. I just noticed there hasnt been much hub around here for it. I used to be pretty hard into it but for me at least there just got to be too many or I got busier. Probably both.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
It was pretty fun to watch for a while, but it lost something. It's not worth paying nearly $50 for what they provide anymore. I think boxing will come back eventually and the UFC will be done.

Largent80

Reaction score
I quit about 4 years ago. They have turned into grappling matches, and as was mentioned, who wants to pay for that?

notyou

Reaction score
There is a lot of free events. There is one on right now.

taz291819

Reaction score
I still watch the big fights also. There were some pretty good fights this weekend. Rousey knocked out her opponent in just 16 seconds.

Msfann

Reaction score
Largent80":1hosmng1 said:
I quit about 4 years ago. They have turned into grappling matches, and as was mentioned, who wants to pay for that?

This!

plus PPV is the debil when it comes to MMA and boxing. I know they need to get paid but show them on regular tv and plaster them with more adds. When something is on PPV that just means I'm not going to give a crap about watching it. Cable tv is way too expensive to start with.

Putting the prelims on TV does nothing for me because I know that its just building up to something i cant see.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
There are too many cards, but I'll still watch big cards in hopes that Rousey gets her mug punched in or to see Cain Velasquez.

I do wish that there were more colorful personalities that were also good fighters. Rousey is the only one I care about seeing (although it's in hopes that she gets KOed). I especially miss the days the LHW division had fighters that were really colorful and fun to watch (and it had all the really good power punchers) like Rampage. Also, this sport needs Brock Lesnar being the pro-wrestling nutbar hick that everyone hates, and it needs him back now.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The sport went downhill IMHO when UFC bought Pride and shuttered it.

Yea, they picked and choose some fighters from Pride and had some interesting match-ups.

But still, UFC needs the competition, it needs the push. Pride was an exciting event, they did some exciting things, like tournaments, different weigh fighters, some unique match-ups, I actually liked the rules better than UFC. The production was very WWE, just big entrances, lights, explosions. Cool stuff.

I miss Pride, but watched a UFC ppv about a year ago, but that's the only one in about a 3 year span.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
MMA went downhill after Pride shutdown before UFC bought them. Take any of their grand prix. Awesome stuff. Take their last card I remember. The one they had in Vegas at Thomas and Mack and watch that start to finish. Find a better night of fights than that. Aint happening. Henderson beating Silva. Good stuff.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Same, used to watch it all the time about 6-10 years ago. I watched Penn but that was the first one in months I paid any attention to. Still watch a few minutes now and then when I stumble upon the free events.

pmedic920

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1xnkw8li said:
Obviously people still watch. I just noticed there hasnt been much hub around here for it. I used to be pretty hard into it but for me at least there just got to be too many or I got busier. Probably both.

I love MMA, I got in trouble for ordering to many PPVs, so I've slacked off a bit.
Now I just watch what I can find for free

I really like the TUF shows although the can get a repetitive, showing what you just saw before the commercial, again when they return.
I used to be big boxing fan but can't hardly watch a full boxing match any longer, unless it's a huge big name fight.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Yeah, I loved watching MMA and I still do, but the past 2-3 years it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep track with. There are so many fighters now, so many weight classes (I do like this though because the little guys always put on a show) and worst of all just too many cards.

As you guys have mentioned, since the UFC started its monopoly by buying Strikeforce, WEC, Pride, etc. the product has just gotten so watered down. It seems as if there are cards every single week and every 3 weeks it seems like there's a mid-week card on Wednesday in addition to the one on the following Saturday. It's too much to keep up with.

Also, not to mention this "Fight Pass" bull****. It's not enough that they try to squeeze $55 or so out of PPV buys, now they got this stupid subscription service and keep taking good fights and putting them on there to try and pump the cash flow a little harder. Like this past week, I love watching Conor McGregor fight and I got screwed because Dana decides he rather screw people that's been loyal enthusiasts of his product. The last 2 or 3 years, my buddies and I just go over to Buffalo Wild Wings and watch instead of ordering. At least I'm getting a meal and saving some money.

Dana just wants to line his wallet though. When he first mentioned the UFC dreams of having a card almost every week, I knew there was going to be problems of watered down product. The same with TUF, there used to be 1 season a year almost; now it seems like there's 3.

Tical21

Reaction score
The novelty has worn off and now you're just left with a subpar product. MMA was really cool when you would see people with totally different styles face-off to see which style was more effective. A brawler would face a jujutso fighter or a kickboxer would face a wrestler. That was intriguing, that was cool. Now, you've got a bunch of hybrid fighters that all fight the same way and are afraid to take too many chances, and you get a really boring product of mediocre dirty-boxers stuck in a half guard for 7 minutes. No personalities, no freaks, no streaks. I'm admittedly biased towards the sweet science, but it just seems for every MMA highlight reel fight, you've got to sit through at least a half-dozen yawners where nothing happens.

McG

Reaction score
I watch the majority of the free fights I can, which is an obvious cheap-o move on my part. To me $50 is quite a bit of money, I live in Arkansas and I'm a disabled vet, and make a shit wage. If I do watch the PPVs I goto a Buffalo Wild Wings or Hooters, but that is rare. It's a good sport, and they truly are some of the best athletes in the world, regardless of what your preference is on the sport. My main problem with the sport is the fact that the fighters don't get paid anything in relation to other professional sports. The majority of them are broke, and have to have work on the side which is possibly why the sport is feeling watered down. I was reading up on how much the fighters make, and even I make more money than some annually which is insane in comparison to the amount of time and effort it takes to even be a mediocre MMA fighter. The UFC is greedy and that's another reason I haven't bought a fight since Gracie v Hughes which was like 10 years ago. I'd pay if the fighters were getting paid right, but screw the UFC bigwigs.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
McG":yhnda6a2 said:
I watch the majority of the free fights I can, which is an obvious cheap-o move on my part. To me $50 is quite a bit of money, I live in Arkansas and I'm a disabled vet, and make a shit wage. If I do watch the PPVs I goto a Buffalo Wild Wings or Hooters, but that is rare. It's a good sport, and they truly are some of the best athletes in the world, regardless of what your preference is on the sport. My main problem with the sport is the fact that the fighters don't get paid anything in relation to other professional sports. The majority of them are broke, and have to have work on the side which is possibly why the sport is feeling watered down. I was reading up on how much the fighters make, and even I make more money than some annually which is insane in comparison to the amount of time and effort it takes to even be a mediocre MMA fighter. The UFC is greedy and that's another reason I haven't bought a fight since Gracie v Hughes which was like 10 years ago. I'd pay if the fighters were getting paid right, but screw the UFC bigwigs.

True, the guys at the top are making 6 figures for a fight.

But the other guys? 5-8 grand sometimes? Then they have to deal with injuries, and no insurance? Rough sport to try to claw your way to the top.

byau

Reaction score
I still follow it and watch fights for free. Never really paid to watch much of anything. Fight highlights, sherdog, mmajunkie, sports.yahoo.com/mma, etc.etc.

Have to say my interest has tailed off a lot this year since it seems that all the champs get injured except Ronda Rousey. Either that or the fact that Ronda fights so much makes it seem like the other champs barely fight. Not to mention both Anderson and St Pierre are gone. For the rest, isn't it something like

1) Cain = has been injured so fighting less
2) Jon Jones = has been injured so fighting less
3) Weidman = has been injured so fighting less
4) Hendricks = has been injured so fighting less
-- don't remember the other champs

Gotta say to be honest Ronda Rousey is the only fighter I tend to stay interested in - she's a heckuva killer and an interesting personality :)

Btw, Ronda's last fight was 19 seconds, most of it fits on an animated gif (the gif doesn't contain the first five or six seconds)

859326298.gif

(if image doesn't load, then go to link)

http://uproxx.com/sports/2014/07/heres- ... e-it-fits/

Latest posts