Looks like the A's are as big of babies as the 9'ers

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Just saw Puntos (and Bob Melbin too) throw a fit like a baby by striking out just like any 9'ers would throw a fit after a Hawks loss.

Must be the geography after all.. "whiner country?"

Meeker

Reaction score
Meh, that was a terrible call. Anyone would have been pissed.

Msfann

Reaction score
The game f/x thing (not the same as k-zone) showed it right on the inside upper corner but well within the strike zone. I don't know if it uses the k-zone or not so who knows if its accurate at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
tom sawyer":37igtt19 said:
Just saw Puntos (and Bob Melbin too) throw a fit like a baby by striking out just like any 9'ers would throw a fit after a Hawks loss.

Must be the geography after all.. "whiner country?"

Obviously you never seen any games the Mariners played with Lou as Manager.

Msfann

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Puntos got fined for the way he threw his helmet down on the plate hard like that, it was right in Zunino's face. The ump instantly tossed him from the game that had just ended.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Borderline(to bad) call to end a tense game. Sure as hell hope our players show some fight if the roles reversed

That said...f--- the A's

sutz

Reaction score
Saw that. Sure, it was borderline, but that means as a hitter you should make an effort and foul it off or something. It was a bit close to take IMHO.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Please!! We don't need a graph to show us that a 2 out 2 strike pitch in the k zone was the right call..I see nothing wrong with the umps call..I hope the A's cry the next 2 games also..

The Radish

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qmj1b1n said:
Borderline(to bad) call to end a tense game. Sure as hell hope our players show some fight if the roles reversed

That said...f--- the A's

Oh bullshit! coaches tell their players don't get caught with the bat on your shoulder on a 3-2 count in a critical situation. Now a days these players think if they stand and look pitiful they can get a close call. This guy did it once to often.

That's exactly what that idiot did. I saw the replay on the news and thought it was a pretty good call considering you can't get a true vision of the strike zone from the centerfield camera that is off center a bit to keep the pitchers head out of the way.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Might have been close but I was told in Little League "when you have 2 strikes you protect the plate", that means ANYTHING close you are swinging and at least trying to foul it off, even if that means swinging at a ball. Your best hitters are aggressive with 2 strikes.

Msfann

Reaction score
CPHawk":dcjaefux said:
tom sawyer":dcjaefux said:

According to that it was a good call.

That's exactly what the pitch f/x thing on the gameday thing showed too. It was a good call.

Tical21

Reaction score
The problem will all those K-Zone or whatever you want to call them is that they show what the strike zone is supposed to be. In actuality, pitches at that height have been called a ball 90% of the time for 20+ years. In that situation, against a division foe, I would have thrown a tantrum too. As a hitter, you're groomed to take that pitch unless you're specifically looking to turn on it. Was it a bad call? No. Was it unjust? Yeah, probably.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":1oui5flk said:
The problem will all those K-Zone or whatever you want to call them is that they show what the strike zone is supposed to be. In actuality, pitches at that height have been called a ball 90% of the time for 20+ years. In that situation, against a division foe, I would have thrown a tantrum too. As a hitter, you're groomed to take that pitch unless you're specifically looking to turn on it. Was it a bad call? No. Was it unjust? Yeah, probably.

If you were groomed to take a borderline call with two strikes against you then you were poorly coached.

Tical21

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":65q8pci6 said:
Tical21":65q8pci6 said:

If you were groomed to take a borderline call with two strikes against you then you were poorly coached.
Punto is only 5'9", so I think the square of the K-zone is off to begin with, but regardless, that pitch was at the minimum 3-4 inches higher than what would normally be called a strike on him. At least 75% (I'd contend closer to 90%) of players in the major/minor leagues wouldn't have swung at that pitch, but also partly because of the tail that Rodney gets on it. If 75% of the hitters are poorly coached, I guess we have a coaching issue in this country. Hitters know they have to protect against low pitches, and pitches up to an inch or two off the plate, but have never had to protect against high pitches.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":3ma1dk26 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3ma1dk26 said:
Tical21":3ma1dk26 said:

Punto is only 5'9", so I think the square of the K-zone is off to begin with, but regardless, that pitch was at the minimum 3-4 inches higher than what would normally be called a strike on him. At least 75% (I'd contend closer to 90%) of players in the major/minor leagues wouldn't have swung at that pitch, but also partly because of the tail that Rodney gets on it. If 75% of the hitters are poorly coached, I guess we have a coaching issue in this country. Hitters know they have to protect against low pitches, and pitches up to an inch or two off the plate, but have never had to protect against high pitches.

You are making up percentages to reinforce you view now? That pitch was at the letters. That is a 50/50 pitch and should not be left to the umpire to decide. I also believe that the k-zone is adjusted for the height and stance of the batter. The pitch was nowhere close to "3-4 inches higher than would normally be called on him."

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":1cg6gfs4 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1cg6gfs4 said:
Tical21":1cg6gfs4 said:

Hitters know they have to protect against low pitches, and pitches up to an inch or two off the plate, but have never had to protect against high pitches.

And, this is a ridiculous statement. A batter has to protect all parts of the strike zone. Especially when they are already carrying two strikes against them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The real strike zone as I understand it from playing and watching baseball is from just below the shoulders to the knee at the width of the plate..As others have stated with 2 strikes anything close late in game is probaly going to be a strike..You have to swing in that situation period...