Reaction score
Hell of a ball player...

is that really in debate?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ja0kkvh said:
Sports Hernia":1ja0kkvh said:
Smellyman":1ja0kkvh said:
The only thing I hate about Jeter is the overhype and the uniform he wears, That's it.
The overhype wouldn't have existed without him wearing that uni.

Exactly. Mariano deserved all of his kudos last year--he's the greatest closer of all time, and if he was a lifetime Marlin he'd STILL be the greatest and STILL would have deserved every standing ovation!

Jeter's a nice guy, excellent ball player, but it's blown out of proportion due to the pinstripes.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":t1ir8b9k said:
Sports Hernia":t1ir8b9k said:
Smellyman":t1ir8b9k said:
The only thing I hate about Jeter is the overhype and the uniform he wears, That's it.

Nor would he have five rings! LOL!

Was he over hyped? Sure, but how is that his fault? Attack FOX is you want, but to attack Jeter is disingenuous.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love Jeter. And I hate the Yankees. He is pure baseball, and his flip for a tag of Giambi at the plate in the playoffs is still one of the most how in the hell was he there moments in baseball history.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jsyymxmw said:
I love Jeter. And I hate the Yankees. He is pure baseball, and his flip for a tag of Giambi at the plate in the playoffs is still one of the most how in the hell was he there moments in baseball history.

my favorite non-Mariner. hell, probably my favorite player over the last decade outside Ichiro, and thats with a declining skill set and poor(er) teams around him.

Just always reminded me of a Cal Ripken. no reason not to respect the guy. Just felt like a "baseball" player.

I get why people are down on him. people hate holidays too

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":213q2t4y said:
Scottemojo":213q2t4y said:

my favorite non-Mariner. hell, probably my favorite player over the last decade outside Ichiro, and thats with a declining skill set and poor(er) teams around him.

Just always reminded me of a Cal Ripken. no reason not to respect the guy. Just felt like a "baseball" player.

I get why people are down on him. people hate holidays too
People hate great songs that get played too much. Doesn't mean the song sucks.

He has always been pure class. Played the game the right way in a dirty era. hustled every day. Million watt smile knowing he gets to play a kids game every day for bucks. For 20 years. Whats not to like?

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2ttz0i59 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2ttz0i59 said:
Sports Hernia":2ttz0i59 said:
Smellyman":2ttz0i59 said:

Exactly. Mariano deserved all of his kudos last year--he's the greatest closer of all time, and if he was a lifetime Marlin he'd STILL be the greatest and STILL would have deserved every standing ovation!

Jeter's a nice guy, excellent ball player, but it's blown out of proportion due to the pinstripes.

except if he was a Marlin he wouldn't be on a year long overblown retirement tour every where he goes.

Like all the other great ball players that have retired over the years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is Jeter the first ballplayer to announce this his last year before the season started? Didn't Ripken?

I just don't see the big deal.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I have always hated Jeter and thought he was extremely overrated. To prove my point, I looked up his career stats to show my wife and ended up eating my words. He was a hell of a offensive player.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1liw6iq2 said:
Great play by Jeter, horrible play by Giambi who if he slides, is safe.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3qa55lnu said:
hawksfansinceday1":3qa55lnu said:
Sports Hernia":3qa55lnu said:
Smellyman":3qa55lnu said:

Nor would he have five rings! LOL!

Was he over hyped? Sure, but how is that his fault? Attack FOX is you want, but to attack Jeter is disingenuous.
I agree, but I don't think folks are blaming the over hype or the Yankees.

The Radish

Reaction score
Love him or hate him

love his team or hate them

Derek Jeter was a hell of a ball player and I salute him even tho I'm not a Yankee fan.

And where is Lymon? Thought he would be here for sure.

:les:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I really hate the Yankees..Funny how their history has a lot of the games greats and it is due to being in the biggest city with the most money ..The funny thing is as a kid I was a Yankees fan before the Mariners started..Television had a lot to with that but I couldn't have been the only Seattle area kid this happened to..(RIP Billy Martin) As for Jeter I think he is a steady ball player and that's pretty much it..I respect him for it but I think he has been overated most of his years..I think there was other guys who along with him contributed as much but don't get the credit -Bernie Williams,Posada,Paul O'Neill,Tino Martinez ect ..From 96-2000 they won 4...9years later another..If he was so great as they made him out to be how could you not win more in the other 15 years you played?I know they aren't easy but to glorify a guy so much as they have ..He should have more titles ..The money and stars the Yankees pour into that team every year Jeter has been there and they only have 5???How much credit does he really deserve???Please retire and spend all those millions you piled up "media queen" because you earned it..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":31eejbu9 said:
I really hate the Yankees..Funny how their history has a lot of the games greats and it is due to being in the biggest city with the most money ..The funny thing is as a kid I was a Yankees fan before the Mariners started..Television had a lot to with that but I couldn't have been the only Seattle area kid this happened to..(RIP Billy Martin) As for Jeter I think he is a steady ball player and that's pretty much it..I respect him for it but I think he has been overated most of his years..I think there was other guys who along with him contributed as much but don't get the credit -Bernie Williams,Posada,Paul O'Neill,Tino Martinez ect ..From 96-2000 they won 4...9years later another..If he was so great as they made him out to be how could you not win more in the other 15 years you played?I know they aren't easy but to glorify a guy so much as they have ..He should have more titles ..The money and stars the Yankees pour into that team every year Jeter has been there and they only have 5???How much credit does he really deserve???Please retire and spend all those millions you piled up "media queen" because you earned it..

I think people really need to look at Jeter's career stats.

He has 5 Gold gloves, 14 all star appearances

He's 9th all time in hits
his career average is .311 and 7 times batted over .320

stat geeks can go over his ops/obp etc.

hes a bit more than steady. but i think what makes him an icon is his persona (and alot of that is the attachment to the Yankees) as a winner, but also 22 years with one team.

Again, its not much different than the career arc of Ripken.

If he was a Red Sox, I dont think he'd get the same vitriol from people who just hate the Yankees

Tical21

Reaction score
Also my favorite non-Mariner ever. Will be sorely missed.