Your favorite baseball players from the past and present...

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • That didn't/don't play for your current favorite team.

Past: Mike Schmidt, Tony Gwynn (RIP).... I never got to see Schmidt play in person.

Current: Mike Trout, love the way this kid plays.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sandy Koufax was my favorite when I was a kid. Incredibly dominant pitcher. Willie Mays was my 2nd fav. Just an amazing 5 tool player and probably the best player (non-pitcher) I've ever seen.

Loved Nolan Ryan too and got to see him pitch for the Angels in July of '72 when the family was in Anaheim for a Disneyland vaca. It was against the As who were on their way to winning the first of 3 straight World Series. He struck out 15 A's that night including Reggie Jackson all 4 times.

Today, Trout for sure. And Kershaw is probably my favorite pitcher not named Felix.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• When I was younger I was already on the Mariners bandwagon so all of my favorite players were on the team (Griffey, Edgar, etc.), but I did enjoy watching Pedro Martinez pitch. As for now, it's got to be Mike Trout. That guy is the definition of a baseball player and is an absolute blast to watch. The only thing I don't like about him is the fact that we'll be facing him every year while he's in LA.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

• present:
    Puig (love the bat flip, aggressiveness on the paths, defense in RF) overall exciting player
    Felix
    zobrist: unsung, consistent, plays a ton of positions. Overall unappreciated.
    Trout: one of the sweetest shortest swings you'll ever see.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• past:
    griffey, maddux, edmonds
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• Past (My team)- Pete Rose, Griffey Jr., Barry Larkin

Past- (Overall)- Reggie Jackson, Tony Gwynn, Rod Carew

Current (my team)- Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Joey Votto

Current (overall)- None Go REDS! ;)
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

• Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedgarrrrrrrr.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

• as a child growing up it was Rod Carew and Goose Gossage, when I got into my 20's living in the Denver area it was the Blake Street Bombers.....nowadays its Seager and Zunino and R.A. Dickey for keeping the knuckleball alive!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Past---Tony Gwynn (idol), Manny, Pedro, Bo, Deion, Lenny Dykstra

Present--Jeter, McCutchen, Jose Reyes. I really haven't followed baseball much since the debacle of 1998.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Past-Nolan Ryan (best pitcher I ever saw) Dave Parker(Saw that throw in the Kingdome in 1979) and Lymon for you..I liked Bucky Dent and Nettles a lot...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Old: Mickey Mantle, Moose Skowron, Bernie Williams, Yogi.

Present: Jeter, Felix.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

• Rickey, oh Rickey.. you were so good.
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• Past:
    Nolan Ryan (Robin Ventura, you don't charge a guy that throws a 100mph fastball)
    Frank Thomas (Who doesn't love the Big Hurt?)
    Rollie Fingers (The 'stache alone deserves a spot in the HOF)

Present (And I've kinda fallen off with baseball I will admit):
    Mike Trout (The guy looks like he ACTUALLY is enjoying playing, I love that)
    Buster Posey (Guy is tough)
    ManBunts
    NET Starter

• Tom Gordon with the Red Sox. He was like 5'10 and had a nice fastball and wicked curve. Also, as a Stephen King fan, liked the should out by King with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

I also used to collect baseball cards, so I was always looking for the next big thing for prospects, hoping to make some money. Got burned on Gregg Jeffries, but I have a ton of Barry Bonds rookie cards. I was a big Bond fans because I usually root for the villains in movies.
    huskylawyer
    NET Rookie

• Edgar Martinez, Griffey Jr., Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell,
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

• endzorn wrote:Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.

you a Met's fan by chance?

I was living in NY during the early, mid 80s. 1985-86 was a big year for sports there. had the Knicks with Ewing, the Rangers run to the semis, Simms and the Giants Super Bowl win and the Mets beating the Red Sox.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Any player with a handlebar mustache.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Nolan Ryan. Played on extremely bad Angels teams but dominated.

I actually saw him lose 1 and 2 hitters because of the inept Angels hitters. I grew up in Anaheim, so I would go watch every time he or Frank Tanana pitched....$1.65 for a ticket then.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Dale Murphy, Yaz, Tony Gwynn, Eric Davis

And most Mariners.....especially Alvin Davis, Edgar, and the Kid.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:Any player with a handlebar mustache.

Rollie Fingers approves of this message.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Kind of amazed no one has said Kirby Puckett. Hands down the poster boy for he loves what he does. That man had a smile on his face that you knew was genuine.

Tony Gwynn, Eddie Murray, Greg Maddux, Lou Whittaker.

Ozzie Smith would belong on this list but I absolutely hated how he would make the All Star team all the time as such a poor hitter.

I gave up on baseball after the greed strike of '94.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• I love your list BASF.

Griffey will always be my #1 and it's not even close. Big Barry Larkin, Puckett, Smith and Gwynn fan as well.

My favorite birthday was in ~1994 when I got to see the Reds play the Cardinals and saw Larkin AND Smith. Awesome time.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Steve Garvey, Fernando, Mike Scioscia

For the others: The Kid, Will Clark, Nolan, George Brett.
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    endzorn wrote:Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.

you a Met's fan by chance?

I was living in NY during the early, mid 80s. 1985-86 was a big year for sports there. had the Knicks with Ewing, the Rangers run to the semis, Simms and the Giants Super Bowl win and the Mets beating the Red Sox.

I'm a Cubs fan, but as a kid I loved watching HoJo and Gooden. Doc was almost mythological to a kid.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

• George Brett- because he was a screaming double waiting to happen every time he stepped to the plate-Did the Royals ever get to the post-season?

Ron Guidry- because he was Cajun and threw like a maniac for a guy around 5-10 and 170lb

Rob Dibble- because in his prime it was simply over- quickly

George Foster- because he had one incredible year for the Big Red Machine- and a lot of real good ones he never got much credit for

And I gotta throw in young healthy Griffey as simply the most electric ballplayer I've seen
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Grahamhawker wrote:George Brett- because he was a screaming double waiting to happen every time he stepped to the plate-Did the Royals ever get to the post-season?..........

World Series champs in '85 and also made the playoffs several other times in his career.
    This from Wiki on the '85 season:

In 1985, Brett had another brilliant season in which he helped propel the Royals to their second American League Championship. He batted .335 with 30 home runs and 112 RBI, finishing in the top 10 of the league in 10 different offensive categories. Defensively, he won his only Gold Glove. In the final week of the regular season, he went 9-for-20 at the plate with 7 runs, 5 homers, and 9 RBI in six crucial games, five of them victories, as the Royals closed a gap and won the division title at the end. He was MVP of the 1985 playoffs against the Toronto Blue Jays, with an incredible Game 3. With KC down in the series two games to none, Brett went 4-for-4, homering in his first two at bats against Doyle Alexander, and doubled to the same spot in right field in his third at bat, leading the Royals' comeback. Brett then batted .370 in the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals including a four-hit performance in Game 7. The Royals again rallied from a 3–1 deficit to become World Series Champions for the first time in Royals history.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Mickey Mantle (I have a 53' Topps card) and Rod Carew.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• Current: Albert Pujols. I despise baseball now, but I still keep up with how he's doing.

Past: Had some but they are now lost to my bias. I wonder what I would have said as a kid (besides Griffey Jr.? Frank Thomas, maybe?
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information