Your favorite baseball players from the past and present...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
That didn't/don't play for your current favorite team.

Past: Mike Schmidt, Tony Gwynn (RIP).... I never got to see Schmidt play in person.

Current: Mike Trout, love the way this kid plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sandy Koufax was my favorite when I was a kid. Incredibly dominant pitcher. Willie Mays was my 2nd fav. Just an amazing 5 tool player and probably the best player (non-pitcher) I've ever seen.

Loved Nolan Ryan too and got to see him pitch for the Angels in July of '72 when the family was in Anaheim for a Disneyland vaca. It was against the As who were on their way to winning the first of 3 straight World Series. He struck out 15 A's that night including Reggie Jackson all 4 times.

Today, Trout for sure. And Kershaw is probably my favorite pitcher not named Felix.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
When I was younger I was already on the Mariners bandwagon so all of my favorite players were on the team (Griffey, Edgar, etc.), but I did enjoy watching Pedro Martinez pitch. As for now, it's got to be Mike Trout. That guy is the definition of a baseball player and is an absolute blast to watch. The only thing I don't like about him is the fact that we'll be facing him every year while he's in LA.

davidonmi

Reaction score
present:
Puig (love the bat flip, aggressiveness on the paths, defense in RF) overall exciting player
Felix
zobrist: unsung, consistent, plays a ton of positions. Overall unappreciated.
Trout: one of the sweetest shortest swings you'll ever see.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Past (My team)- Pete Rose, Griffey Jr., Barry Larkin

Past- (Overall)- Reggie Jackson, Tony Gwynn, Rod Carew

Current (my team)- Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Joey Votto

Current (overall)- None Go REDS! ;)

m0ng0

Reaction score
as a child growing up it was Rod Carew and Goose Gossage, when I got into my 20's living in the Denver area it was the Blake Street Bombers.....nowadays its Seager and Zunino and R.A. Dickey for keeping the knuckleball alive!

Tical21

Reaction score
Past---Tony Gwynn (idol), Manny, Pedro, Bo, Deion, Lenny Dykstra

Present--Jeter, McCutchen, Jose Reyes. I really haven't followed baseball much since the debacle of 1998.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Past-Nolan Ryan (best pitcher I ever saw) Dave Parker(Saw that throw in the Kingdome in 1979) and Lymon for you..I liked Bucky Dent and Nettles a lot...

ManBunts

Reaction score
Past:
Nolan Ryan (Robin Ventura, you don't charge a guy that throws a 100mph fastball)
Frank Thomas (Who doesn't love the Big Hurt?)
Rollie Fingers (The 'stache alone deserves a spot in the HOF)

Present (And I've kinda fallen off with baseball I will admit):
Mike Trout (The guy looks like he ACTUALLY is enjoying playing, I love that)
Buster Posey (Guy is tough)

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Tom Gordon with the Red Sox. He was like 5'10 and had a nice fastball and wicked curve. Also, as a Stephen King fan, liked the should out by King with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

I also used to collect baseball cards, so I was always looking for the next big thing for prospects, hoping to make some money. Got burned on Gregg Jeffries, but I have a ton of Barry Bonds rookie cards. I was a big Bond fans because I usually root for the villains in movies.

endzorn

Reaction score
Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
endzorn":3do7hu1x said:
Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.

you a Met's fan by chance?

I was living in NY during the early, mid 80s. 1985-86 was a big year for sports there. had the Knicks with Ewing, the Rangers run to the semis, Simms and the Giants Super Bowl win and the Mets beating the Red Sox.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nolan Ryan. Played on extremely bad Angels teams but dominated.

I actually saw him lose 1 and 2 hitters because of the inept Angels hitters. I grew up in Anaheim, so I would go watch every time he or Frank Tanana pitched....$1.65 for a ticket then.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Dale Murphy, Yaz, Tony Gwynn, Eric Davis

And most Mariners.....especially Alvin Davis, Edgar, and the Kid.