Payton-Kemp era Sonics ... *sigh*

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Payton-Kemp era Sonics ... *sigh*
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am
  • Fantastic story

Brings back good and bad memories

And makes you wonder seriously how close we were to getting a title... I would say even back-to-back titles that the Rockets ended up getting during Jordan's hiatus.

"History in Hindsight: The Houston Rockets, The Seattle SuperSonics, and Hakeem Olajuwon’s greatest foe."

http://www.red94.net/14511/14511/

On May 12, 1996, the Houston Rockets were swept by the Seattle SuperSonics.

It was a hard-fought sweep. Seattle blew Houston out 108-75 in Game 1, but won the rest of their games by single digits. In Game 4, Houston rallied from being down 18 points in the 4th, and 9 points with less than 2 minutes left, to tie the game and force overtime. But Seattle prevailed 114-107, and a sweep is still a sweep.

It was Seattle’s 13th straight victory over the Rockets.

In addition, Seattle had also beaten Houston in a tight 7-game series in the 1993 Western Conference Finals – a game which it should be noted had some controversial calls at the end. And as great as the two Houston championship runs were, they did not face Seattle in either year. Both times, the Sonics were upset in the first round of the playoffs, in 1994 as the number one seed. While it is impossible to know for certain, it could be argued that things might have been different if the Rockets had faced Seattle in those two years.
    byau
    NET Veteran

Re: Payton-Kemp era Sonics ... *sigh*
Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm
  • Anything NBA related makes me sick. I hope the league folds while OKC flounders.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:09 pm
  • The OKC Curse: OKC will never win a title until the SuperSonics are back in Seattle. It's only right
    byau
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 pm
  • Gaw... Anything Sonics-related on this board just suckers me in... and then I feel all depressed.

Still done with the NBA.
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:46 pm
  • Screw it. Go with the glory. It was incredible when the Sonics drafted Kemp and Payton then we got to watch them grow up together. I remember Kemp getting the $h!t beat out of him again Karl Malone in the playoffs, then the next year they matched up again and THAT BOY HAD BEEN DRINKING HIS MILK.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm
  • Payton will forever be my favorite player ever, played basketball the way all kids my age wanted to, everyone either wanted to be MJ, or GP.

Kemp was dope too, a big man that could dunk like he was a guard because of his incredible athletism, was a pretty good defender himself. His departure was the beginning of the end :(

If they had paid Kemp instead of bringing in that chump McIlvaine the Sonics would've had their 2nd NBA title, I'm sure of that much.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:37 pm
  • That was a Wally move--giving Kemp's $$ to Mc after promising to redo his contract.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information