Spurs Hire a Woman, News Persons Freak Out

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Becky Hammon is a damn smart basketball mind.
I have followed her career since she was in high school and kicked the crap out of my HS and every other high school in the state of South Dakota. Her brothers were good basketball players, and she grew up honing her craft against their height and speed.
Watching girls high school basketball is generally about as exciting as watching grass grow. Becky was the exception. I saw her score 51 of her team's 55 points one time in a playoff game. It looked like Spud Webb was playing 5 on one basketball with traffic cones for teammates and turnstiles for opponents.

I caught a couple of games when she went to the WNBA. One featured what for the WNBA was a playoff brawl. Hammon got into it and got teed up for tossing an opponent on the ground, then standing over her and taunting her. A player she gave up half a foot and probably 50 pounds to.

I don't think the Spurs hired her because she is a she. I think they hired her because she played basketball just the way they teach it, tough, physical, and fundamental, even a little dirty, just the way Popovich likes it. If there is a woman who could coach in the NBA, it is Hammond.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3lln1v8l said:
I don't think the Spurs hired her because she is a she. I think they hired her because she played basketball just the way they teach it, tough, physical, and fundamental, even a little dirty, just the way Popovich likes it. If there is a woman who could coach in the NBA, it is Hammond.

You started out so well in this paragraph and ended... errr... ;)

I totally agree though, she's an exceptional basketball mind and have no doubt her hiring had nothing to do with her gender, only her skill... which is awesome.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2i6ec9oi said:
Scottemojo":2i6ec9oi said:

You started out so well in this paragraph and ended... errr... ;)

I totally agree though, she's an exceptional basketball mind and have no doubt her hiring had nothing to do with her gender, only her skill... which is awesome.
I did not intend the leaking sexism. I could have phrased it "If there is a woman who can exist in the testosterone filled world of a male sport, and cut through the macho bullshit enough that players with woman issues will still listen to her, it is Hammond." Because I think we both know that is certain to be an issue for some player at some point, right?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, much better phrasing although I knew you didn't mean it in a sexist way.

Latest posts