Arizona State OL Edward "Chip" Sarafin comes out publicly

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Arizona State offensive lineman Edward "Chip" Sarafin told Compete Magazine that he is gay, becoming the first active Division I college football player to come out publicly.

Like former Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam, Sarafin came out to his team before going public.

"It was really personal to me and it benefited my peace of mind greatly," Sarafin told Compete Magazine -- a Tempe, Arizona-based LGBT sports publication -- of coming out to his teammates.

Sam, the first openly gay player drafted by the NFL, tweeted his support for Sarafin:

Congratulations Chip Sarafin for having the courage to be yourself. Wishing you and your teammates much success this season. #courage2014
- Michael Sam (@MichaelSamNFL) August 13, 2014

The reporter who interviewed Sarafin for the Compete Magazine story, Joshua Wyrick, said the player "cited Michael Sam as kind of the impetus for him reaching out."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ounces-gay

huskylawyer

Reaction score
In 15 years, most people are going to say, "what were people thinking about being uneasy around gay people."

Times are changing for sure, and that's a good thing IMHO....

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Good for him. I can't imagine the weight that must be lifted and the peace of mind he will achieve when it's all said and done.

It's too bad there will be those who call him an attention whore based out of hate, rather than celebrate it with love.

With that said, I do think it's ridiculous that someone coming out in 2014 will still grab headlines. It'll be quite the day when it doesn't matter and no one even pays attention to those who come out publicly.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":234pgcft said:
Good for him. I can't imagine the weight that must be lifted and the peace of mind he will achieve when it's all said and done.

It's too bad there will be those who call him an attention whore based out of hate, rather than celebrate it with love.

With that said, I do think it's ridiculous that someone coming out in 2014 will still grab headlines. It'll be quite the day when it doesn't matter and no one even pays attention to those who come out publicly.

So true. Soon, it won't be an issue. It reminds me of the strange fascination with "Black QBs", where it was a non-stop discussions point. Now, thank goodness, we are beyond that point (rarely discussed with RW winning Super Bowl). Back in the day, THIS happened:

joe-gilliam.jpg

:shock:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm fine with whatever floats your boat that is legal..I don't care much at all for telling me what and how I should think and comparing gay stuff with being black like it's the same concept whatever ect ,it's just wrong and bullshit ..Why does it have to be news like you want attention and admiration for being something that millions are ,like a football player is more special than the gay football coach or whomever..

SonicHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":90a7pvbf said:
I'm fine with whatever floats your boat that is legal..I don't care much at all for telling me what and how I should think and comparing gay stuff with being black like it's the same concept whatever ect ,it's just wrong and bullshit ..Why does it have to be news like you want attention and admiration for being something that millions are ,like a football player is more special than the gay football coach or whomever..

It's news because of people like you.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Well, whoopty-do. I look forward to the day when this is no longer headline news. I couldn't care less what a person's sexual orientation is, but the media sideshow surrounding anything pertaining to it is getting rather old.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
IndyHawk":279d21r1 said:

Babies are born black, whether our grandparents liked it or not (mine didn't). Babies are born gay, whether you like it or not (you don't).

Deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1fskqyhc said:
JGfromtheNW":1fskqyhc said:

So true. Soon, it won't be an issue. It reminds me of the strange fascination with "Black QBs", where it was a non-stop discussions point. Now, thank goodness, we are beyond that point (rarely discussed with RW winning Super Bowl). Back in the day, THIS happened:

joe-gilliam.jpg

:shock:
Yeah, bad times. Anyway good for the kid hopefully a year to two from now it won't even be worth a blurb in the back pages if that.

kearly

Reaction score
Unlike the Sam situation where he came out publicly during draft season, there really is no downside or distractions or excessive attention for Sarafin. He's a 5th year senior who has yet to play in a game. Scout team player, former walk-on. Teammates have known he was gay since earlier this year.

I'm sure some will disagree, but to me there is a significant difference between meeting a stranger who is gay versus having someone you've known for years come out as gay. That's why I was skeptical of Sam in the NFL, but was just fine with him coming out his last year in college when his teammates had known him for years, and probably had their suspicions anyway (Missou players said they were "relieved" when Sam came out officially to them in 2013).

Same thing here with Sarafin. Good for him. In fact, it is without a doubt the most important thing he's done as a member of ASU's football team.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":11ruu22s said:
IndyHawk":11ruu22s said:

Babies are born black, whether our grandparents liked it or not (mine didn't). Babies are born gay, whether you like it or not (you don't).

Deal.
No kidding?I didn't know that..My thing is don't compare being gay and coming out to Jackie Robinson,civil rights ect
it's nowhere the same thing ..skin color and being gay 2 different things...Comprende?

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1gx46y8n said:
Trenchbroom":1gx46y8n said:
IndyHawk":1gx46y8n said:

Deal.
No kidding?I didn't know that..My thing is don't compare being gay and coming out to Jackie Robinson,civil rights ect
it's nowhere the same thing ..skin color and being gay 2 different things...Comprende?

It's relative, they made a big deal about the first asian player, they are making a big deal out of gay player, they made a big deal about black players and then black QB's and then Black Head Coaches. They made a big deal about the first female official. They were also hyping things up about the possible first female player I think last year, she was a kicker and never made it to camp I believe.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
IndyHawk":3voxka66 said:
Trenchbroom":3voxka66 said:
IndyHawk":3voxka66 said:

Deal.

No, not really. They pretty much are the same thing, with the only difference being that it's easier for most gay people to "pass" than it was for most black people to do so.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Chris yes it's relative the way you put it..I guess my problem with all this is there are gays of all races ..How does humans being treated less than human because of the color of their skin getting rights that all humans should have compare to a gay person that has human rights who plays football ,whos big deal is saying they are gay?I'm sorry I can't see how they go together...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":j9x4t3m7 said:
Chris yes it's relative the way you put it..I guess my problem with all this is there are gays of all races ..How does humans being treated less than human because of the color of their skin getting rights that all humans should have compare to a gay person that has human rights who plays football ,whos big deal is saying they are gay?I'm sorry I can't see how they go together...

That was hardly a paragraph I could comprehend, but I'll try to respond.

Gay and racial issues aren't identical. It's easy to point out a dark black person, or a person of Asian ancestry. I was born black (well, mixed, but we all know that means black), I have always known I was colored and so has everyone else. That is obviously not identical to the plight of homosexuals or the various other sexual identities and non-identities.

What is the same is that these are all humans that deserve equal respect and should be judged on content of character and the their actions, not who they sleep with, what color they appear to be or what sex they are or are not.

Gays of all races has literally nothing to do with anything other than that proving that homosexuality is not a result of upbringing or environment, it's simply a potential outcome of being a human that is difficult to alter.

chris98251

Reaction score
The way I see it, Color, Religion, Race, Orientation, Gender have always been issues throughout history and prejudiced and or discriminated against in some way or another. The person or persons in all of these social or human groups if you will are the ones that feel the slight and or violated. Sadley its the standing up and rebellion of the established state of thinking that is used to change that way of thinking, be it marches or wars or media.

People treating people as people should not be an issue, but like everything else someone has to be right and uses influence, power, or abuse to make themselves right by creating a situation to leverage that perception, which really isn't right anyway just a manipulated circumstance to make them appear they are.

Put everyone in a room with no lights and no accents and have a talk about something like the weather, would you care who said what or not if you could not identify whether they were of any of the groups above, well the exception i guess would be gender.

I use weather but there are a lot of topics that are not based on politics, religion and or social stigmas that could be talked about.

The point is take that element out and people are people.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I agree with your posts guys really but it's clear I'm not making the point I'm trying to,so I'll just let it go ...Good day