Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

US Mens Soccer

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: US Mens Soccer
Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 am
  • Groups for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup have been announced, as has the group stage schedule. USA is in Group B with Panama, Martinique and either Haiti or Nicaragua. USA play Panama on July 8, Martinique on July 12, and Haiti or Nicaragua on July 15.

In other news, DeAndre Yedlin may miss the upcoming World Cup qualifiers with a thigh injury.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Groups for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup have been announced, as has the group stage schedule. USA is in Group B with Panama, Martinique and either Haiti or Nicaragua. USA play Panama on July 8, Martinique on July 12, and Haiti or Nicaragua on July 15.

In other news, DeAndre Yedlin may miss the upcoming World Cup qualifiers with a thigh injury.

Christian Pulisic should be in line to start on the wing, Nagbe on the other side... Yedlin was always looking at a back up role.

Gold Cup is a great comp for the U23s. Ton of talent in that group
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Groups for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup have been announced, as has the group stage schedule. USA is in Group B with Panama, Martinique and either Haiti or Nicaragua. USA play Panama on July 8, Martinique on July 12, and Haiti or Nicaragua on July 15.

Christian Pulisic should be in line to start on the wing, Nagbe on the other side... Yedlin was always looking at a back up role.

Gold Cup is a great comp for the U23s. Ton of talent in that group

I was under the impression that Arena would use Yedlin at RB, not as a winger.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 pm
  • I guess that would make more sense. Still behind Fabian Johnson?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I guess that would make more sense. Still behind Fabian Johnson?

Fabian should be starting at LB.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I guess that would make more sense. Still behind Fabian Johnson?

Fabian should be starting at LB.

Matt Besler transitioning there?
    (My god.. that sounds terrible)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm
  • Fabian down the left and probably/hopefully Acosta down the right
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm
  • Well... wow.

And Christian Pulisic....
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 am
  • Huge win...they put together their best game in a long while last night. Dempsey with a hat trick. If they can win in Panama, then they are back in the top 3 in the table/standings.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:16 am
  • Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

Typically plays wide at Dortmund. However, if he can be that impactful through the middle at this age his ceiling may eclipse that if any US player before him. Future is very bright for him. US needs to produce a true 6 to go with the attacking players coming through.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

Typically plays wide at Dortmund. However, if he can be that impactful through the middle at this age his ceiling may eclipse that if any US player before him. Future is very bright for him. US needs to produce a true 6 to go with the attacking players coming through.

I honestly can't remember a player at this age turn on the ball and become so dangerous with so much pace and control.

This was exactly the kind of match the US needed, a confidence builder..........hell that was a cleanse.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 am
  • I have been working with some players the last 6 months on prepping for college tryouts. We routinely watch clips of players, mostly like Hazard, Sanchez, even Lodeiro..

We have been spending more time on Pulisic lately. His skill off the ball is what makes him so, so special. He is unique in that he opens space with his runs instead of running into space to get a ball. It leaves the distributor so much more in terms of option and space. And you can see it in his passing. he is always looking to play balls into spaces for runners (Dempsey's two goals) instead of to feet.

Amazing vision and tactical understanding for an 18 year old (American)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

For the less knowledgeable, what's the 6 position? Would that be the end to end midfielder like Diego Chara plays for the Timbers?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

For the less knowledgeable, what's the 6 position? Would that be the end to end midfielder like Diego Chara plays for the Timbers?

I'm sorry I don't know who that is.. Alonso would be (or was for some time) Seattle's equivalent.

... the 6 is the holding midfielder, who's primary responsibility is to provide a forward passing option for the Center backs, decide through distribution when the move goes from possession to attacking, support the attacking mids in the attack and fill in gaps between the CAMs and CBs when the ball is lost.

Some teams use this as an out and out Defensive Mid. I don't like that position, although Kante at Chelsea has me changing my mind. I'd prefer a technical player who can pick up the ball from the backs and start the team's move going forward. With a player like Pulisic constantly finding new spaces to run into, this position becomes effectively as important as the ball needs to move into those spaces (or away from, depending on how the D reacts).
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:53 am
  • Took the shine of 6-0... but that's a match they lose 3-0 6 months ago.

For all of my concerns with Arena (and there are plenty that he is living up to.. his comments on where Pulisic developed show how short sighted he really is and its a detriment to US soccer development) he does have the team better prepared. It certainly helps that Pulisic and Dempsey are playing at a high level right now (Pulisic's run and assist are tremendous, including the counter press)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Took the shine of 6-0... but that's a match they lose 3-0 6 months ago.

For all of my concerns with Arena (and there are plenty that he is living up to.. his comments on where Pulisic developed show how short sighted he really is and its a detriment to US soccer development) he does have the team better prepared. It certainly helps that Pulisic and Dempsey are playing at a high level right now (Pulisic's run and assist are tremendous, including the counter press)

I'm OK with a draw, considering we were playing a quality Panama side at home fired up after a short week with a lot of veterans on the pitch who looked a little tired. You're right, this match was ripe for a let down match after the high of 6-0.

As far as Arena, he's done what I said he was going to do months ago...........circle the wagons, shore up the formations and give each player a clear and concise role to help stabilize all those horrible out of position and confusion about who was marking who, and who was suppose to do what.

Bottom line, I like our chances going into June against T&T and Mexico. Get 4 pts out of that and we should be through.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm
  • Tim Ream was a liability in that first half. He ultimately didn't mark Gomez and gave up the goal. How do you let a guy get past you like that on a throw-in? Absolutely ridiculous.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information