Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cell Phone Cases

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cell Phone Cases
Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am
  • I'm very hard on my phone.
    Drops, tosses, using in wet/raining conditions. At times I get infectious "yummy" stuff on my phone and need to be able to disinfect it without worrying about the cleaning chemicals.

This is about "phone cases" not phones.
    Most of the major "case" manufacturers make cases for all the popular phones, so it should be easy to stay on topic.

I did use OtterBox for a good while but I've moved on to LifeProof.
    LifeProof has worked well for my needs but the are pricey.

Anyone know of a good alternative?
    What do you use, and why?

The main reason I went to LifeProof over the OtterBox is, that it's much thinner. I carry my phone in pocket, LifeProof also slides in/out of pocket much easier because it's not rubber.

My phone in some instances can be a matter of life/death and I've never lost one to to accidentally damaging one.
    Thankfully the cases I've used have done their job.

Edit: main reason for this posts, I'm looking for a less costly alternative to the LifeProof. I'm not however, willing to sacrifice the level of protection.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Cell Phone Cases
Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 am

Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am
  • SHOCKER315 wrote:https://www.rokform.com/

Do you use this one, if so why?

Have you ever used OtterBox or LifeProof?

What's the comparison?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am
  • If your phone is not waterproof and therefore need a waterproof case, LifeProof is very hard to better especially when buying on Amazon for around $50. If you don't need waterproof I have some options for you that I use on my fleet of phones.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm
  • I'm not aware of any good alternatives to LifeProof and OtterBox. I don't buy super-duty cases that I can throw off of tall buildings safely, however.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Cell Phone Cases
Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm
  • I had a LifeProof for my Galaxy S7 but I never liked the 'floaty' plastic screen or opening the damn charging port, or how plasticy the whole thing felt. Never had a problem with it though.

Just got a Doom Armor case last week and it's made from machined aluminum, silicone rubber, and tempered glass, and is actually pretty damned heavy. You could probably crack someone's skull open with it in a pinch. It's Chinese as hell, but I like the styling and it was only $30 (flash sale which ends at midnight). May be a bit large for people with tiny hands. It does have rubber on the edges and the back though, but I don't keep my phone in my pants pockets so it's not an issue for me. Just tried and no problem, but I don't wear skinny emo jeans that vacuum-seal stuff into the pockets. YMMV.

https://kaaum.com/collections/phone-cas ... phone-case
    Last edited by 253hawk on Fri May 19, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 19, 2017 5:44 pm
  • Anguish wrote:If your phone is not waterproof and therefore need a waterproof case, LifeProof is very hard to better especially when buying on Amazon for around $50. If you don't need waterproof I have some options for you that I use on my fleet of phones.

Not sure I need the "waterproof" aspect but it's one I've grown used too. I don't worry about my phone getting wet. Probably need to stay with something "waterproof".
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not aware of any good alternatives to LifeProof and OtterBox. I don't buy super-duty cases that I can throw off of tall buildings safely, however.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.
    The couple of odd balls that I've tried only lasted till the good one arrived in the mail.

I'm simply fishing for something new that I haven't heard of yet.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Cell Phone Cases
Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:I had a LifeProof for my Galaxy S7 but I never liked the 'floaty' plastic screen or opening the damn charging port, or how plasticy the whole thing felt. Never had a problem with it though.

Just got a Doom Armor case last week and it's made from machined aluminum, silicone rubber, and tempered glass, and is actually pretty damned heavy. You could probably crack someone's skull open with it in a pinch. It's Chinese as hell, but I like the styling and it was only $30 (flash sale which ends at midnight). May be a bit large for people with tiny hands. It does have rubber on the edges and the back though, but I don't keep my phone in my pants pockets so it's not an issue for me. Just tried and no problem, but I don't wear skinny emo jeans that vacuum-seal stuff into the pockets. YMMV.

https://kaaum.com/collections/phone-cas ... phone-case

This looks like fairly good case BUT like you said "it's huge", adds a lot to the overall size.
    Aside from the rubberized parts not letting it slip easily in/out of pocket, the added size is the main reason that I moved away from OtterBox.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good case at $29.00. I just don't think it quite as useable for me.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat May 20, 2017 12:55 am
  • I use otterbox with the belt clip. Protects the phone well but broke a couple of clips over the years though.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Cell Phone Cases
Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 am
  • I bought the otter box commuter for my s8. Reason being it keeps the phone slim and still offers some protection on the corners. The defender is just too bulky. I like to put my phone in my pocket still and the defender would make it like a tablet.

Staff Edit:
    No F-bombs (lounge)
    No comments on Phone manufacturers
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sat May 20, 2017 7:11 am
  • For phones that I don't worry about the case providing their ability to be waterproof, I use a lot of X-Doria Defense Lux cases.
    https://xdorialife.com/
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I use otterbox with the belt clip. Protects the phone well but broke a couple of clips over the years though.

Broken clips is the main reason I pocket carry.
    In my line of work I already have too much crap on my belt, that combined with many confined spaces, belt clips for my phone just aren't practical.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 pm
  • I have an S7 edge with an otterbox. I hate it because the screen protector makes it so the touch sensitivity is extremely low. Even with a sensitivity booster app it still sucks.

My problem is I'm afraid of the edge breaking, so I want something over the screen. Im thinking about 1 of those flip open wallet style cases.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Cell Phone Cases
Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:I have an S7 edge with an otterbox. I hate it because the screen protector makes it so the touch sensitivity is extremely low. Even with a sensitivity booster app it still sucks.

My problem is I'm afraid of the edge breaking, so I want something over the screen. Im thinking about 1 of those flip open wallet style cases.

I don't have any details but I think there are a couple of companies that offer a glass cover , or "overlay"if you will.
    I'm under the impression that you simply apply it over what you already have.

Gorilla glass, maybe monster glass?
    Something like that anyway.
    Might be an option for you.

Google it :{)
    I'll look for a link to what I'm thinking.

Edit: for links
    https://www.bodyguardz.com/screenguardz ... protectors
    https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/invisible ... xy-s7-edge
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat May 20, 2017 9:59 pm
  • Thanks very much. When I first bought the phone I was told there were no tempered glass protectors for it because of the curve. Ill have to look into these ones.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information