Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Manifest on NBC

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Manifest on NBC
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 am
  • Premier is tonight.

I’m intrigued, anybody else?

Has a “Lost” feel to me. So far all I know is what I’ve seen from the teasers.

I’m fairly certain they will focus a lot on each individual person to build stories.

I plan on giving it a chance.

Network TV really needs to step up the Game.

Netflix, and others like them are kicking ass when it comes to original programming.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Manifest on NBC
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Premier is tonight.

I’m intrigued, anybody else?

Has a “Lost” feel to me. So far all I know is what I’ve seen from the teasers.

I’m fairly certain they will focus a lot on each individual person to build stories.

I plan on giving it a chance.

Network TV really needs to step up the Game.

Netflix, and others like them are kicking ass when it comes to original programming.

I am definitely intrigued by this one. As you mentioned though, being on Network television means there is a higher likelihood that it won't reach it's potential. Hoping that I'm wrong and they get this one right.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm
  • I'm allergic to network TV.

There's just too much good TV between the premium, cable and streaming channels to watch anything on network TV.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm
  • Is network TV defined as only public broadcast, or does that include channels like FX?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Is network TV defined as only public broadcast, or does that include channels like FX?

FX is cable. Network TV is like ABC, NBC, Fox and the CW.

I just think network TV is still stuck in the dark ages of making shows. It's just watered down garbage.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Is network TV defined as only public broadcast, or does that include channels like FX?

I just think network TV is still stuck in the dark ages of making shows. It's just watered down garbage.

Although, some of the best dramas are found outside of Network television, not nearly as many great comedies. The Good Place is a prime example of something a Network does right.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Is network TV defined as only public broadcast, or does that include channels like FX?

Although, some of the best dramas are found outside of Network television, not nearly as many great comedies. The Good Place is a prime example of something a Network does right.

Haven't seen The Good Place, but I've heard good things.

Network TV still has an antiquated way of making shows........................have a bunch of talented actors, comedians and writers into make pilots, then change the creative process because there's 20 layers of dinosaur producers that justify their jobs by meddling and meddling until whatever promise there was has the life sucked out of it until all that's left is a homogenized cheesy watered down show.

Conversely Netflix is a business. Give boatloads of money to the smart and talented writers, producers and directors, then get the hell out of the way and let them create.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:20 pm
  • Don't over-the-air broadcast networks have significantly tighter restrictions on language they can use in their programming and such, compared to cable TV networks?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Don't over-the-air broadcast networks have significantly tighter restrictions on language they can use in their programming and such, compared to cable TV networks?

Self imposed restrictions.

I get it, those stations want to appeal to the broadest audiences possible to maximize advertising revenue, so they don't take risks, or jeopardize angry viewers with edgy content. But they're also in a crisis right now with trying to compete with the streaming services.

Most of the networks have seen double digit rate decline over the past decade..............which is my point, why continue to make TV shows the old way, why not blow that up and try new things like your competition.

Manifest might be great, but to me when I see these commercials it almost looks like an SNL parody of a real show. Just looks generic and boring. We're no longer captive audiences, too much good stuff elswhwere to sit through network TV.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Don't over-the-air broadcast networks have significantly tighter restrictions on language they can use in their programming and such, compared to cable TV networks?

You sure about that? Look at the "sexually explicit programming" section, in particular: https://www.fcc.gov/media/program-content-regulations

Since over-the-air broadcasts can't scramble the signal to avoid children seeing it, I'm pretty sure that networks like Fox and NBC do not have the same freedom as channels that are not broadcast over the air; the latter get to depend on the channel provider (I.E., Comcast) to take steps, which appear to be far more loose.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:18 pm
  • FCC restrictions, language to a certain level to a certain time of night, levels of bare skin allowed and type, dare you forget Jacks wardrobe malfunction, types and levels of violence allowed, there are a lot. After 10 PM is when they can really let their hair down and show a butt or something or adult situations inferred.

Cable programming is different it's not considered a airwave that can be picked up, you pay for it to come to your home and therefore acknowledge that it may have a more mature programming nature.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 pm
  • I’m looking forward to this debut as well although the premise is straight Lost and obviously influenced by MH 370. Should be interesting though.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 pm
  • It's a drama. The premise boils down to "How would a five year absence affect (these 5) people's lives?" Doesn't appeal too much. I'd rather watch a story that incorporated that, rather than making it the selling point.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Don't over-the-air broadcast networks have significantly tighter restrictions on language they can use in their programming and such, compared to cable TV networks?

You sure about that? Look at the "sexually explicit programming" section, in particular: https://www.fcc.gov/media/program-content-regulations

Since over-the-air broadcasts can't scramble the signal to avoid children seeing it, I'm pretty sure that networks like Fox and NBC do not have the same freedom as channels that are not broadcast over the air; the latter get to depend on the channel provider (I.E., Comcast) to take steps, which appear to be far more loose.

Maybe sexually explicit material, but pick any adult animated series on Fox and the content is edgy. Simpsons, Family Guy, they all push the envelope.

So yes, maybe ABC shows can't show a titty, but these were the same network stations that had no problem showing very mature and adult themed shows with plenty of sex. Dynasty, Fantasy Island, Dallas, lots of adult soap opera type shows.

Now it's a much more boring homogenized programming, no one's taking risks...........and that's why no one's watching.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am
  • kidhawk wrote:The Good Place is a prime example of something a Network does right.

So true. It has the packaging, look and feel of a typical network TV sitcom that just won't get most people's attention like Sgt. for instance. It was just by chance I bothered watching beyond the first episode. Didn't grab me on S1 Ep1 but I am SO glad I went back to it. My favorite sitcom at the moment.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Manifest is boring and homogenized for sure.

It kind of was actually. Not a bad show, just average in every way and a little strange.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 am
  • Typical network TV show. Has its moments but many of the lines are "Network TV Cheese"....Still, I will watch as their are some intriguing elements...It will either steadily improve as the story moves along or it will be bail out time. Ball's in your court NBC.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm
  • They had a cool hook with the idea a Jet coming back 5 years later, but they need a turn and a got ya moment every episode, I mean something about the passengers that changed and they have some weird stuff they do or can do and different for all of them to keep you interested.

I mean your boyfriend marrying your best friend isn't that, hell that happens when your not gone 5 years lol.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm
  • And after all I said?

I missed the first episode.

Guess I hunt it down, and set the DVR.

Might be better if I binge a few at a time.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm
  • I did like the twist on "Set them free".

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 pm
  • I thought it was a pretty good first episode. Not sure how long it will last though.
    Interesting concept IMHO.

I liked the show Deception, which I thought they could have gotten another season out of. I kind of see this show along those lines.

Probably will run out of material kind of quickly.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:35 am
  • Aros wrote:I did like the twist on "Set them free".

When all the passengers had to go watch the plane blow up -- that was kind of fun.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm
  • I'm halfway through episode 3 (friend scarfed Manifest episodes from Usenet) and absolutely loving it. It also started on free to air TV here on Thursday night,
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 am
  • I turned it on for like 10 minutes and then had to turn it off. Network shows are awful. Only shows network tv I watch is their reality and contest shows. There is a reason why they recycle shows so much and most don’t get renewed for a second season. Oh I forgot about Modern Family and This Is Us, those are pretty great.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I turned it on for like 10 minutes and then had to turn it off. Network shows are awful. Only shows network tv I watch is their reality and contest shows. There is a reason why they recycle shows so much and most don’t get renewed for a second season. Oh I forgot about Modern Family and This Is Us, those are pretty great.

I don’t understand the mentality that network tv sucks then saying but I love this show or that show. There are tons of non network shows that I think are horrible but that doesn’t mean non network shows are bad.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:37 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I turned it on for like 10 minutes and then had to turn it off. Network shows are awful. Only shows network tv I watch is their reality and contest shows. There is a reason why they recycle shows so much and most don’t get renewed for a second season. Oh I forgot about Modern Family and This Is Us, those are pretty great.

I don’t understand the mentality that network tv sucks then saying but I love this show or that show. There are tons of non network shows that I think are horrible but that doesn’t mean non network shows are bad.

How many emmys are network shows winning and getting nominated for? Most everyone can agree that all the great shows come from broadcast (FX, AMC, etc), streaming and premium networks (HBO, Showtime).

Just looking at the Emmy winners from this year, the only show that won from Network TV was This Is Us for best guest actress in a drama. And we are talking about like 25 categories, and network TV won one. I’m not counting SNL’s win for best variety sketch, because like I said, network tv does well with reality tv and talk shows. Anything with actors and a script is pretty much garbage.

But like seriously, what was the last great show that wasn’t reality TV to come from network TV?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:46 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I turned it on for like 10 minutes and then had to turn it off. Network shows are awful. Only shows network tv I watch is their reality and contest shows. There is a reason why they recycle shows so much and most don’t get renewed for a second season. Oh I forgot about Modern Family and This Is Us, those are pretty great.

How many emmys are network shows winning and getting nominated for? Most everyone can agree that all the great shows come from broadcast (FX, AMC, etc), streaming and premium networks (HBO, Showtime).

Just looking at the Emmy winners from this year, the only show that won from Network TV was This Is Us for best guest actress in a drama. And we are talking about like 25 categories, and network TV won one. I’m not counting SNL’s win for best variety sketch, because like I said, network tv does well with reality tv and talk shows. Anything with actors and a script is pretty much garbage.

But like seriously, what was the last great show that wasn’t reality TV to come from network TV?

Nothing you’ve typed changes what I posted. There are plenty of bad shows on network and streaming and cable. There are also good shows on network and streaming and cable. The issue I brought up is saying that all scripted network shows are bad and then excepting certain ones. If some aren’t bad then not all are bad. It’s simple really.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Nothing you’ve typed changes what I posted. There are plenty of bad shows on network and streaming and cable. There are also good shows on network and streaming and cable. The issue I brought up is saying that all scripted network shows are bad and then excepting certain ones. If some aren’t bad then not all are bad. It’s simple really.

I just showed you with stats that the best scripted shows don’t come from network TV. I think there were 23 scripted Emmy categories, Network TV won one. The last time they won an Emmy for best drama was in 2006. This Is Us is the only show nominated for best drama in the last 7 years, they got nominated this year and last year. Network TV isn’t dominating like it used to. Sure there are bad shows on all platforms, but the good ones aren’t on network tv. The trend clearly going away from network tv. I can safely say, and I think most would agree (emmys too) that the only two good shows to come from network TV in the last decade are This Is Us and Modern Family.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

I just showed you with stats that the best scripted shows don’t come from network TV. I think there were 23 scripted Emmy categories, Network TV won one. The last time they won an Emmy for best drama was in 2006. This Is Us is the only show nominated for best drama in the last 7 years, they got nominated this year and last year. Network TV isn’t dominating like it used to. Sure there are bad shows on all platforms, but the good ones aren’t on network tv. The trend clearly going away from network tv. I can safely say, and I think most would agree (emmys too) that the only two good shows to come from network TV in the last decade are This Is Us and Modern Family.

I could dig up quite a few network Emmy nods from within the past decade but that isn’t th point I made. The thing is that you agree with my point every time you post yet you still say network tv sucks then turn around and name what you consider good shows. That is my whole point. Shows don’t automatically suck because they are on networks. Just like they aren’t automatically great just because they get an Emmy.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 am
  • I guess we just disagree then. I showed you objective facts, all you do is come in and say "they have some good shows and some bad shows." I'm literally showing you the Network TV is garbage. Emmy nominations is the only way I know how to go about this objectively. Here are more facts, these are emmy nominations by network from last year:

HBO 23
    Netflix 23
    NBC 16 (13 of the 16 came from reality tv, SNL had a lot)
    FX 12
    Amazon 8
    Hulu 4
    Fox 3
    CBS 2

Fox and CBS had a combined 5 emmy nominations, that is trash. Take out the 13 reality shows that NBC got nominated for and they had 3, giving Network TV a combined 8 nominations. Sure you can find great shows on Network TV from 10 years ago, that is my point. Network TV used to be great, but since about 2010 it has been weak. Feel free to list all the great shows you think came from network TV since 2010. There was a transition around 2010 when broadcast and premium networks started picking up and making shows. Before that, Network TV didn't have to compete with anyone. At one point, places like FX, HBO and AMC were just for movies. Since those networks started making shows they have ran circles around Network TV.

I just googled best tv shows since 2010, first link to pop up, network TV had one show in the top 25, Black-Ish. That's it. Think about that, between 3 major networks, a writer accounted them for making only one of the 25 best shows since 2010. Like I said earlier, feel free to post what shows you think are great from Network TV, I'm curious.

https://www.salon.com/2017/09/24/the-25 ... the-2010s/
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I guess we just disagree then. I showed you objective facts, all you do is come in and say "they have some good shows and some bad shows." I'm literally showing you the Network TV is garbage. Emmy nominations is the only way I know how to go about this objectively. Here are more facts, these are emmy nominations by network from last year:

HBO 23
    Netflix 23
    NBC 16 (13 of the 16 came from reality tv, SNL had a lot)
    FX 12
    Amazon 8
    Hulu 4
    Fox 3
    CBS 2

Fox and CBS had a combined 5 emmy nominations, that is trash. Take out the 13 reality shows that NBC got nominated for and they had 3, giving Network TV a combined 8 nominations. Sure you can find great shows on Network TV from 10 years ago, that is my point. Network TV used to be great, but since about 2010 it has been weak. Feel free to list all the great shows you think came from network TV since 2010. There was a transition around 2010 when broadcast and premium networks started picking up and making shows. Before that, Network TV didn't have to compete with anyone. At one point, places like FX, HBO and AMC were just for movies. Since those networks started making shows they have ran circles around Network TV.

I just googled best tv shows since 2010, first link to pop up, network TV had one show in the top 25, Black-Ish. That's it. Think about that, between 3 major networks, a writer accounted them for making only one of the 25 best shows since 2010. Like I said earlier, feel free to post what shows you think are great from Network TV, I'm curious.

https://www.salon.com/2017/09/24/the-25 ... the-2010s/

I think we've gone round and round enough. You think that Emmy nods are facts, when if fact they are as subjective as anything else when it comes to personal taste, but honestly it has nothing to do with the point I've been making which you seem to be completely missing.

You obviously aren't reading what I am writing in the way it's intended, because you continue to say that Network TV is garbage as a blanket statement, then you make exceptions. Either it is all garbage like you've stated several times, or it's not ALL garbage.

Is it possible for Network TV as a whole to be of less quality than streaming and yet still have some quality programming? Yes it is, and that's been my point this whole time.

As for this particular thread topic (which I think it's time to get back to). I'm not sold on the show quite yet. It's still got potential, but 3 episodes in and I'm not certain it'll ever quite realize it's potential.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
  • Ok I guess I mislead you then. My point is this: Network TV is far behind broadcast, streaming and premium networks when it comes to scripted shows. That is all I meant.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Ok I guess I mislead you then. My point is this: Network TV is far behind broadcast, streaming and premium networks when it comes to scripted shows. That is all I meant.

On that we agree. Network has too many limitations, especially the fact that they are limited to the total amount of programming they can fit into a prime time schedule. This, combined with rules that are placed on broadcast television over cable/streaming makes it difficult to make shows to the same standards.

One area I think that network tv has a slight edge is the sitcom. It just doesn't seem to work nearly as well in a streaming environment. Dramas such as Manifest have a lot of constraints on broadcast tv to overcome that they don't have on streaming/cable options.

I think Manifest could do some really great things on Netflix. It will be difficult to see it's full potential on NBC, but I'm still holding out a sliver of hope for it.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am
  • I barely watched Manifest, but I said to myself, if Netflix or a network like AMC got their hands on this script, they could have made it a lot better. But you are right, we do need Network TV for sitcoms and most importantly non-scripted and reality TV. But yeah, there are a lot of limitations on Network TV. I think the last drama I really enjoyed from Network TV was Lost.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:26 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    One area I think that network tv has a slight edge is the sitcom. It just doesn't seem to work nearly as well in a streaming environment.

I'd disagree with this, all these sitcom style shows are better than 99% of anything on Network TV.

Atypical
    Love
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Glow
    Master of None
    American Vandal
    Catastrophe

I know you said "slight" so I'm not going to nitpick too much, and I understand that the sitcom genre is under-represented right now on streaming services.......but the quality that is there is still far better than what's on network TV, which is just the same two camera style antiquated sitcoms with laugh tracks and cheesy one liner writing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I barely watched Manifest, but I said to myself, if Netflix or a network like AMC got their hands on this script, they could have made it a lot better. But you are right, we do need Network TV for sitcoms and most importantly non-scripted and reality TV. But yeah, there are a lot of limitations on Network TV. I think the last drama I really enjoyed from Network TV was Lost.

Oddly enough, several reviews I read on Manifest have compared it to lost. Personally I think they may be setting up expectations too high, but we shall see.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I barely watched Manifest, but I said to myself, if Netflix or a network like AMC got their hands on this script, they could have made it a lot better. But you are right, we do need Network TV for sitcoms and most importantly non-scripted and reality TV. But yeah, there are a lot of limitations on Network TV. I think the last drama I really enjoyed from Network TV was Lost.

Oddly enough, several reviews I read on Manifest have compared it to lost. Personally I think they may be setting up expectations too high, but we shall see.

Plot is different, but it seems to be going down the same set up of events with flashbacks and snippets of character backgrounds etc.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information