Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Yes.
61%
No.
35%
No opinion.
4%

Total votes : 23

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm
  • Stumbled on this article from Slashfilm and just wondered what the temperature was over here on this.

https://www.slashfilm.com/is-die-hard-a-christmas-movie/

According to the poll, it's:

62% No
    25% Yes
    13% Don't know/No opinion

I'm a bit surprised it's so one-sided, though I'd probably say no, myself. Hell, Die Hard was released in July of 1988.

Anyway, your thoughts?
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm
  • Yes

2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm
  • Although I like the movie enough, it's not a movie I have on my Christmas watch list, but I'd still call it a Christmas movie. Having a release date of July really doesn't mean anything IMO. Some great Christmas movies weren't released anywhere near Christmas. I know Miracle on 34th street was a summer release. To me, it's a Christmas movie if the timeline of the story is based around Christmas.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:03 pm
  • It's a Christmas movie. And so is The Ref.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:It's a Christmas movie. And so is The Ref.

I'm sure nothing brings you more holiday cheer than Kevin Spacey.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:28 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:It's a Christmas movie. And so is The Ref.

I'm sure nothing brings you more holiday cheer than Kevin Spacey.

2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm
  • In the aspect of this thread...so is Trading Places.......
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Although I like the movie enough, it's not a movie I have on my Christmas watch list, but I'd still call it a Christmas movie. Having a release date of July really doesn't mean anything IMO. Some great Christmas movies weren't released anywhere near Christmas. I know Miracle on 34th street was a summer release. To me, it's a Christmas movie if the timeline of the story is based around Christmas.

Yep this.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm
  • I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet...
    Skip to 45 seconds in...

Personally, I disagree with Bruce Willis here, but I don't think he is really saying it's not a Christmas movie, he's just saying it's more important that it is a Bruce Willis movie.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 pm
  • It’s the BEST Christmas movie!

....and Corey Taylor’s song X-mas is the best Christmas Song evaaaaaar!

Seriously!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 am
  • Die Hard is my favorite movie of all time, but it's not a Christmas movie.

IMO the deciding factor as to whether something is a Christmas movie is the plot has to be about or centered around Christmas/the holidays, and not just occur DURING Christmas. Die Hard's plot is not about Christmas, it's about a cop taking down an international terrorist attack. Just because it occurs during Christmas time does not make it a Christmas movie.

Is Fargo a Christmas Movie? The Shining? St. Elmo's Fire? Trading Places? Edward Scissorhands?

All happened during Christmas time, and have scenes of Christmas. Are they Christmas movies? No.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Die Hard is my favorite movie of all time, but it's not a Christmas movie.

IMO the deciding factor as to whether something is a Christmas movie is the plot has to be about or centered around Christmas/the holidays, and not just occur DURING Christmas. Die Hard's plot is not about Christmas, it's about a cop taking down an international terrorist attack. Just because it occurs during Christmas time does not make it a Christmas movie.

Is Fargo a Christmas Movie? The Shining? St. Elmo's Fire? Trading Places? Edward Scissorhands?

All happened during Christmas time, and have scenes of Christmas. Are they Christmas movies? No.

Yes. It is about giving and receiving of happiness and joy. In this case, his happiness and joy were taken from him and during the joyous season, they were given/taken back. Concept is about spreading cheer and happiness in a dreary season. Some dont have to experience it at this time while others tolerate it.

Dont Worry, Be happy.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Die Hard is my favorite movie of all time, but it's not a Christmas movie.

Yes. It is about giving and receiving of happiness and joy. In this case, his happiness and joy were taken from him and during the joyous season, they were given/taken back. Concept is about spreading cheer and happiness in a dreary season. Some dont have to experience it at this time while others tolerate it.

Dont Worry, Be happy.

I love Trading Places, but no one's gathering around the ol' tree, singing Yuletide songs in family harmony, baking gingerbread cookies and watching Trading Places with the kids so they can see Jamie Lee Curtis's boobies.

I mean, coolest parents ever........but not a Christmas movie. Cause again, it's not about the holidays or Christmas.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:52 pm
  • I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story.

I have seen most of the sequels though.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:01 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story.

Watch it. Even if you don't like it, it's a movie that must be seen at least once. That said, all the sequels pale in comparison to the original, and only Die Hard With a Vengeance even begins to reach for the original's glory.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story..

We've heard whispers and rumors of you, like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster................we passed it off casually as a fairy tale or fiction.

Now we know

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Die Hard is my favorite movie of all time, but it's not a Christmas movie.

All these non-traditional Christmas movies and you don't mention Catch Me if You Can or pretty much anything written by Shane Black (see: Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or, hell, even Iron Man 3).

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Die Hard is my favorite movie of all time, but it's not a Christmas movie.

All these non-traditional Christmas movies and you don't mention Catch Me if You Can or pretty much anything written by Shane Black (see: Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or, hell, even Iron Man 3).

I didn't know I was supposed to list every movie that's not a Christmas movie......I don't think the character limit is big enough.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:51 pm
  • I once was talking to a former boss about movies that he traditionally watched at Christmas time. He mentioned Die Hard. 1. I was baffled by his reply. Made about as much sense as saying Transformers movie. 2. Prior to this conversation he was held in pretty high esteem.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story.

I am an adult male in my late 50s, and I've never seen any Die Hard movies. Haven't seen any Rocky or Mission Impossible movies either.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story.

I am an adult male in my late 50s, and I've never seen any Die Hard movies. Haven't seen any Rocky or Mission Impossible movies either.

Well, you're Australian. You're probably busy throwing boomerangs at kangeroos, or something. :P

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:I am an adult male in my early 40s and I have never seen Die Hard. True story.

Well, you're Australian. You're probably busy throwing boomerangs at kangeroos, or something. :P

DAmmit...that is Mission Impossible 5...shit. :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:42 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I am an adult male in my late 50s, and I've never seen any Die Hard movies. Haven't seen any Rocky or Mission Impossible movies either.

I haven't thrown a boomerang in years! I certainly used to be able to get it to return, most of the time. Hard to find a left-handed boomerang. :P

Honestly, I have a massive list of movies I haven't seen, that everyone else apparently has.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 am
  • Not only is it a Christmas movie, it's one of the top five Christmas movies out there. Fact.

Christmas is integral and central to the plot of the movie. The setting would be implausible or downright impossible were it not Christmas and centered around an office Christmas party. The whole reason John McClane was even there was that he was visiting his estranged wife and kids for Christmas. One of the reasons for the late/half-assed response to the 911 calls was because it was Christmas and everyone was off or on minimal shifts for the holiday break. A Santa suit is a key prop that moves the plot along, close to impossible with any other season or holiday.

The time of year the movie is set in does not alone make it a movie of/about that particular season. But when that season is key to the whole thing, then yes, yes it does.

Just because a majority of people voted for something doesn't mean it's correct or even sane and rational, and there are far too many examples here to go further than simply reminding everyone that Taco Bell was voted "Best Mexican Food Restaurant" recently. And just because Bruce Willis says something is fact doesn't mean it is either. Celebrities are notorious for their kooky, outlandish, and just plain weird ideas and opinions. And they're very often wrong, as he is in this case.

"The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am
  • Still haven't seen it.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:38 am
  • Are you kidding me? Watch it tonight, it's a classic.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Just because a majority of people voted for something doesn't mean it's correct or even sane and rational, and there are far too many examples here to go further than simply reminding everyone that Taco Bell was voted "Best Mexican Food Restaurant" recently. And just because Bruce Willis says something is fact doesn't mean it is either. Celebrities are notorious for their kooky, outlandish, and just plain weird ideas and opinions. And they're very often wrong, as he is in this case.

There is no more of an expert on the question than Willis. That should be the end of it.

Just because people use some vague tangential circular logic to explain away a summer action movie that was never even considered a "Christmas Movie" until like 8 years ago because it happened to take place during a corporate Christmas party, yet has absolutely nothing to do with the holiday thematically or plot wise want it to be so..............does not make it so.

Bruce has spoken.

/discussion.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 am
  • Good point, don't eff with Bruce. He's the star, if he says it's not a Xmas movie, it's not a Xmas movie.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:17 pm
  • It's a non-traditional Christmas movie. It's on my families list of movies to watch around Christmas. But I hear both sides, IMHO if it has that "Christmas feeling" then its in, which could be as easy as it takes place around x-mas, or x-mas is kinda a backdrop, then we're good. It's a very loose criteria I admit, but so what.

We also just recently added The Krampus, now that is a great Christmas movie!
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm
  • Good point, we have our list of movies we always watch around Xmas: Christmas Vacation, Elf, The Grinch (w/Jim Carrey AND the original cartoon), Christmas with the Cranks, sometimes The Santa Clause, and of course A Christmas Story. Krampus rocks, gonna' add that to the list. The original Black Christmas is really fun to watch. Such a "family" movie :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information