Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Road trip tips: Palm Springs to Bellevue July-Aug-Sept

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• That route will take you right next to Zion National Park and is also pretty close to Bryce Canyon National Park. Those are both must see IMO and it would be a shame to miss them since you are going to be so close anyway. Both are absolutely breathtaking and can be taken in without going very far at all from your car. Of course, I would highly recommend leaving the pavement and really checking out these amazing places, I'm just saying it's not necessary to see some awesome stuff. A lot of the National Parks are good like that.

Zion

Bryce
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Wow, stunning! Reminds me of Sedona, AZ. Completely enchanting and spiritual. I hear it's become infested by tourism and real estate (humans ruin everything, lol) but the red rocks are worth it.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• You could also, go up into Idaho from SLC and see the City of Rocks in the hills up above Burley.
    We used to do climbing trips there from Seattle and it's spectacular.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Fantastic ideas, I have changed my trip to spend a night in St. George, then spend 3-4 hours taking the free shuttle to see the Zion:

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/ ... system.htm

Follow with Zion Mount Careml road to Bryce:

then another 3-4 hours to check Bryce Canyon via Bryce Scenic Drive.

So far this is the quick and fast one day two park teaser, needless to say, could stay longer .... I am not into hiking camping, otherwise could be even more fun.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Wow, stunning! Reminds me of Sedona, AZ. Completely enchanting and spiritual. I hear it's become infested by tourism and real estate (humans ruin everything, lol) but the red rocks are worth it.

Sedona the landscape hasnt changed. Tbe city has though abd thats made accessing the trails more difficult. But rightly so. It was pretty open even up through the late 90s. Lots of damage done.

That said, zion is sedona on steroids. Its gorgeous, open and relatively quiet. Make it a part of your trip whenever possible.

I used to drive from Phoenix to Seattle every may during college. For me, the drive from zion to Yosemites east entrance is the way to go. Hundreds of miles on the ET highway in Nevada. Cross into Yosemite through Donners pass, past SF into No Cal then into Oregon, up into Bend.

Just so beautiful. Empty desert and mountains, wild horses, few travelers. Then into the Sierras and finally the Cascades
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I love the green of the PNW, but as Aros said Sedona is stunning.
    I love looking at desert canyons and desert mountains, the reds, oranges, brown color of the mountains and rocks are pretty spectacular IMHO.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Zion and Bryce look amazing and I am sure they would be similar to Sedona.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• toffee wrote:Fantastic ideas, I have changed my trip to spend a night in St. George, then spend 3-4 hours taking the free shuttle to see the Zion:

So far this is the quick and fast one day two park teaser, needless to say, could stay longer .... I am not into hiking camping, otherwise could be even more fun.

That's awesome man, I hope you enjoy it! They are truly extraordinary places.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    toffee wrote:Fantastic ideas, I have changed my trip to spend a night in St. George, then spend 3-4 hours taking the free shuttle to see the Zion:

That's awesome man, I hope you enjoy it! They are truly extraordinary places.

Thanks for the pointing out Zion and Bryce Canyon, much appreciated. While researching the two parks, I chanced upon Cedar City's Shakespeare Festival in July. Men, they have multiple shows daily at different theaters! I could stay in Cedar City for the days that tour the park, so red rocks during the day and theater in the evening!!!

https://www.bard.org/

On the two nights that I will be there, I could have "Macbeth" or "Joseph and the Amazing...Dreamcoat" for the first night; and "Hamlet" or "The Book of Will for the second night".

Engelstad Shakespeare Theatre
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Zion is a complete mad house. Even the shuttles are a nightmare. It's still worth it but crazy. Bryce Canyon is actually a little more chill.

I didn't understand Sedona. It's a beautiful area, and the drive from Flagstaff down into the valley is amazing, but the town itself didn't offer much that I could see.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

• No you are right John, the town of Sedona has always been "meh". It's the red rocks surrounding the town that are the stars of the show.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I'm not sure if you’d be interested, and it is a significant detour between Vegas and Salt Lake City, but have you considered Death Valley? Maybe you’ve been there many times already, though. I loved it there. It would be very, very hot of course, but Zabriskie Point is especially starkly beautiful, and I wish I had had time to visit the Racetrack.

Then you can cool off a bit by driving up to Dante’s View (about 6,000’ elevation) and see the entire valley on a clear day, which is probably almost any day.

BTW, I was disgusted to recently read that some lowlife vandalised the Racetrack by hoon-driving over the area.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:Zion is a complete mad house. Even the shuttles are a nightmare. It's still worth it but crazy.

I'm not sure I'd agree that it's a complete madhouse. It gets busy in the summer time, but the same can be said of any of the more popular National Parks. I actually found several others to be considerably worse. The good news is, even at the busiest, most popular National Parks, if you get more than a few hundred yards off the asphalt, the crowds really start thinning out in a hurry. That's been my experience anyway.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information