Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

5 dead, 10 hospitalized after midair collision over Alaska

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• "The U.S. Coast Guard and local search and rescue teams have confirmed that nine (9) of the guests on the Taquan Air plane have been rescued and are receiving medical attention with the condition of one (1) guest still unknown, the statement continued. "It has also been confirmed there are five (5) fatalities from the independent air tour - four (4) Royal Princess guests and one (1) pilot. Princess Cruises has activated members of its Care Team to provide assistance to the families impacted by today’s accident."
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• That is awful. Not really fair to speculate since we don't have the full details but as a sight-seeing operation, it's easy to assume there was some level of distraction by the pilot(s) which may have caused this sad event.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• A lot of these Pilots are flying by wire, really no traffic control, just Navigation. Especially out in areas that are remote such as where they were. Sad Story really, something went wrong when two pilots could not see each other. Alaska Bush pilots are some of the most skilled in the world.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Alaska Bush pilots are some of the most skilled in the world.

100%.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• The cause of the crash in relatively good weather, high overcast skies with light southeast winds was not known. The crash occurred about 8 miles (13 kilometers) from Ketchikan, near George Inlet. The planes came down about a mile and a half apart with some of the debris field on land.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Because of the weather (or lacktherof given it's Alaska we are talking about) is why I think somebody was distracted showing passengers the sights. I am sure the pilots were very skilled but they are also human. No matter the cause it's a tragedy for all those affected.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• This was absolutely horrible. We were in Ketchikan on Monday, and I went on a Taquan Air floatplane trip to Misty Fjords that morning. I wondered what all the sirens were for when I got back to our cruise ship (MS Volendam) which was docked right next to Royal Princess. Heard the dreadful news not long after I reboarded the ship.

The weather was absolutely perfect – hardly a cloud in the sky and very little wind; very unusual there. There’s no air traffic control over the floatplanes, but our pilot was fantastic, and Alaskan bush pilots are indeed extremely skilled.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Wow you were right there Aussie...Certainly glad it wasn't you on those fateful float planes!

I heard the collision took place at 3,300 feet. Ugh. It's great there were 10 survivors for certain but I feel for the families of those who were killed. :(
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:This was absolutely horrible. We were in Ketchikan on Monday, and I went on a Taquan Air floatplane trip to Misty Fjords that morning. I wondered what all the sirens were for when I got back to our cruise ship (MS Volendam) which was docked right next to Royal Princess. Heard the dreadful news not long after I reboarded the ship.

The weather was absolutely perfect – hardly a cloud in the sky and very little wind; very unusual there. There’s no air traffic control over the floatplanes, but our pilot was fantastic, and Alaskan bush pilots are indeed extremely skilled.

Glad to hear you are safe. When I heard an Australian was among the victims I immediately thought about you.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• kidhawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:This was absolutely horrible. We were in Ketchikan on Monday, and I went on a Taquan Air floatplane trip to Misty Fjords that morning. I wondered what all the sirens were for when I got back to our cruise ship (MS Volendam) which was docked right next to Royal Princess. Heard the dreadful news not long after I reboarded the ship.

Glad to hear you are safe. When I heard an Australian was among the victims I immediately thought about you.

So much this. Glad you are safe Aussie.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• THANK YOU, kh and SH! We were shaken about the tragic accident on our ship, and I can't begin to imagine how awful it is for loved ones of the people who perished, and it would have cast a dreadful pall on the passengers on Royal Princess.

I will learn how to put video on Youtube eventually, and I'll put content I filmed of my (absolutely mindblowing) floatplane flight up there, after a respectful interval. Our son, who is currently in prison until early June, was very relieved when he could finally contact us today, as we had no phone access on the cruise, and he of course has no internet access.

We’re back in Vancouver BC for two nights now, and then we have a week in NYC before the long haul home.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Bad week for aviation in Alaska. :cry:

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• We loaded this boat the day the departed, very sad.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information