Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Hello from Banff, Alberta, Canada

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Hello from Banff, Alberta, Canada
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm
  • We're in Canada! Just got to gorgeous Banff (from Vancouver) on the Rocky Mountaineer train; it is 27F/-3C, snowing a tiny bit, and we're loving it! Traveling through the Rockies via Lake Louise, Jasper, Sun Peaks, Whistler, Victoria, then back to Vancouver, and then doing Alaska Inside Passage cruise. Fly to New York City for a week before heading back to Australia.

So good to get away from Adelaide's climate, and to feel wonderful cold weather... but I do have to buy some gloves tomorrow! The Rockies... ROCK!

We port in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan on the cruise.

I'll enjoy looking "down" on (most of) y'all from the North for a while...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Hello from Banff, Alberta, Canada
Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 am
  • Wow sounds like a fantastic trip, enjoy and bundle up! :2thumbs:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am
  • Thanks, Todd! Off to explore Banff for the day... still a few snowflakes. STUNNED to hear it was in the 90sF three years ago or so in "middle" of Canada, way east of here (horrible fires later), but normal <50F or so now.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 8:24 am
  • Banff is awesome. We climbed in the Bugaboos in the mid 90's.

Hair raising extreme commitment.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 01, 2019 11:25 am
  • You're only a few hours' drive north of me. I really enjoyed Lake Louise and Johnston Canyon, don't know how available Johnston is this time of year, but if you can, make sure to get there. Have a great time!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed May 01, 2019 4:27 pm
  • Lived in Kamloops for several years. You will like Sun Peaks and the rest of your BC adventure.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:You're only a few hours' drive north of me. I really enjoyed Lake Louise and Johnston Canyon, don't know how available Johnston is this time of year, but if you can, make sure to get there. Have a great time!

We're at the Chateau Fairmont on the shores of (frozen) Lake Louise now. Going to dinner soon. We're on an Evergreen Tour, so we can't go off anywhere. Walked around on the lake earlier - it must eventually get closed, because of it thawing. Would NOT be nice to plummet through thin ice! Just here overnight - on road to Jasper tomorrow, via Icefields Parkway/Athabasca Glacier.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2019 7:30 pm
  • Indeed, Lake Louise was totally closed when we left there yesterday morning. There was no supervision of it, but you'd be a fool to risk it. Plunging through ice into water would NOT be very nice, no matter how fit and powerful you are (which I am not)! In Sun Peaks tonight, after Jasper last night; had most wonderful dinner, and amazing hotel room. In Whistler tomorrow, then down to Victoria for two nights.

I've so rapidly got used to the cold weather, and just love it. We've been lucky with no rain so far, and also rejoicing it has started to rain in parched hometown Adelaide, which my garden will be loving.

Cost of even modest wine at meals was absolutely staggering, especially in Alberta, and it is hard to get used to tax being added on to almost everything, and the tipping, which is never done in Australia. Fortunately, most of that is prepaid by Evergreen Tours... and I am of course aware of WHY tipping is endemic in Canada/USA. Service is universally superb, and Canadians are absolutely the friendliest people!

Currently enjoying a perfectly decently priced bottle of store-bought red in our hotel room, before a very early start tomorrow. This touring lark is tiring! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 04, 2019 9:54 pm
  • Enjoy. There is much scenery to be had in the U.S. (Canada to an extent, as well.)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun May 05, 2019 5:13 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Enjoy. There is much scenery to be had in the U.S. (Canada to an extent, as well.)

To an extent??
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Enjoy. There is much scenery to be had in the U.S. (Canada to an extent, as well.)

To an extent??

Yes, to an extent. Does Canada also have this, for example? Don't get salty.

Also, the snorkeling/SCUBA diving around South Florida and the Keys is amazing...like Key Biscayne National Park, which is an actual protected federal national park underwater, just south of Miami:

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 pm
  • Roland, I don't want to sound like a negative grump, but I don't like beaches (I never go to them, even just down the hill at home!) and as for snorkelling/SCUBA, I detest swimming, and can barely swim enough to save my life! Beautiful pics, though, thank you!

I AM stressed tonight, though (totally my own fault) because I've left my prescription (for shortsightedness/myopia) sunglasses at last night's Sun Peaks accommodation, curse me, and although the wonderful Tour Director had them found, they won't be able to get them to me until May 15, after our Inside Passage cruise.

So, I have to buy sunglasses for the cruise (essential with the glare of all the beautiful snow and ice), but I don't know if I can buy "generic" vision-corrected sunnies for myopia, to at least "mimic" my prescription glasses, when we get to Victoria, BC, tomorrow.

SO annoyed at myself I didn't bring my "spare" pair (older prescription, but better than nothing) with me. I did a HUGE room-check, and STILL missed my bloody glasses.

Anyone know the Jethro Tull album "Passion Play" track 'The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles'? He had the sense to have a Spare Pair!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm
  • That's fine, I was just replying to the outraged Canuck. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm
  • I was actually able to get prescription sunglasses made in Victoria, BC, in an hour! So I was only “blurry” in Whistler for a day, and for a day and a bit in Victoria. Got my original glasses (which are transitional) back today, when we got off the cruise ship.

I also discovered I’d lost one of my camera batteries and SD cards before our Alaska cruise, and when I went to copy my photos and videos from my remaining SD card to my laptop, the freaking (external USB) card reader had broken. Fortunately I was able to get just enough wifi on the ferry to Victoria to google how to fix the built-in SD card reader on my laptop, which had never worked. It was a hand-me-down, and all that was wrong was it didn’t have a drive letter assigned, so problem solved!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2019 5:22 pm
  • Glad you didn't lose your pics. That would suck. Back them up online ASAP if you can, too.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm
  • Thank you, Roland. So frustrated with ourselves about items left in hotel rooms - my wife was reunited with her iPad today, which she left at Chateau Lake Louise. Our Tour Director, bless her, is an absolute saint. It is determined not to go on a cruise - when we did New Zealand she left it in the taxi in Adelaide. Third time luicky, hopefully - we LOVE cruising!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information