If you are a TOOL fan

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
If you are a TOOL fan
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:38 am
  • they dropped their first album in 13 years last night at midnight and it sounds awesome.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Re: If you are a TOOL fan
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:10 am
  • I love Tool, but I think this album may never live up to the hype it's generated over the past 13 years. The band waited too long and the single they released sounds like 11 minutes of recycled riffs and drum lines from the Aenima and Lateralus eras. It's a good track, but largely unremarkable. The sound is getting a bit stale now.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:57 am
  • I've listened to Fear Innoculum twice start to finish, since Friday. These are my impressions.

The record is trash

This is the worst guitar performance of Adam Jones' career. Embarrassingly bad.

Lyrics sounds like they were written as an afterthought.

The vocal cadence is the same in several songs.

You can tell the band are no longer close with one another because each performance sounds like an individual contribution and not part of a collaborative effort in any way.

The tracks are long, which I tend to love, but they are mechanical, formulaic, and ultimately quite boring to listen to.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:58 pm
  • I didn't mind the album. Not their best. I agree it seems that the band has drifted apart and it feels like it isn't as tight as some of their past albums.

Of course I was excited to see that they came out with a new album after a 13 year hiatus. They are still very good considering they are in their 50's.

I have been listening to them since the start. I wore out Opiate and undertow when I was younger.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:53 pm
  • What SmokinHawk said, and I'm a massive tool fan.

Sounds like Maynard and Jones checked out and we're forced to complete the album.
    VB Hawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 pm
  • Yeah, just sounds like a Tool album. 13 years for this? Meh.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am
  • While I don't love the album, I don't know what they could have done. Do people want them to make a TOOL album, which is going to sound archaic 20+ years after their peak, or something new and different? I think they would have gotten many complaints either way.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 am
  • I'm a Tool fan and I like it, but I'm not calling it a masterpiece like I've read elsewhere. It'll take more listens, but I do think I'll go back to Laterlus and 10,000 Days more when all is said and done. I do feel underwhelmed by Maynard on this one, but I know why it took 13 years to make. They had to wait for science to advance far enough for Danny Carey to grow four more arms. There's no way that guy has just two arms and legs.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am
  • Like any other album, I'll judge for myself. I've never been one to assume either way just on what other people are saying about an album or a song.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:33 am
  • I like it more than I liked 10K Days when it came out, which took a while to grow on me. A lot of people make it sound like this was in the works for 13 straight years, but they were tied up in multiple legal issues for several years. Maynard implied in an interview that it was 'fantastic 8 years ago', so most of the underlying work was probably done but put on hold until the lawsuits and such were settled.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of FI was maybe some leftovers and in-progress stuff from 10K by the way it sounds, and it probably could have released by 2010 if not for all of the legal $h!t. They're also all in their late 40s/early 50s, so I didn't expect it to sound like anything from Ænima or prior. They made the album they wanted to make, and I'm enjoying it.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:56 pm
  • I saw them at the Aftershock festival in Sacremento, they were kind of a letdown.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm
  • I’m not a huge fan of this album, but Invincible is a massive home run in my book.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm
  • Our bass player plays in a Tool tribute band and I swear they sound better than Tool...Tooloji

\https://www.facebook.com/tooloji/
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:49 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:I saw them at the Aftershock festival in Sacremento, they were kind of a letdown.

Drove to Eugene to see them like 4 years ago. Not a huge fan but thought they were good. Worth the drive and the ticket price. Didn't absolutely blow me away tho either
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information