Do Not Sell My Personal Information

staying in shape

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
staying in shape
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 pm
  • My gym closed today because of the virus . It had me thinking about 2 things . How will I stay in shape . Then I thought ; if the NFL season is cancelled ; how will the players stay in condition for another year plus ? Could we see 450 lb lineman next season . Just bored pondering . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

Re: staying in shape
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:08 pm
  • Running outside if FREE!
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:36 pm
  • I feel ya.

My gym closed Monday and I'm already missing the heavier weights. Only have wife level hand weights at home so having to get creative with garage items :D Mostly I'm worried about motivation since I've never been good at home workouts which is why I keep a gym membership.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:39 pm
  • Good point about about professional athletes needing workout facilities with both professional and team facilities closing. Guess they will all need to find Escalades.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 pm
  • So is it possible they could get around gyms closing by hiring private personal trainers particularly if said trainer owns the gym?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm
  • A lot of these guys probably have their own gym.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:59 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So is it possible they could get around gyms closing by hiring private personal trainers particularly if said trainer owns the gym?

Biggest thing is for them to keep lifting. If they have barbells and racks in their house that will help immensely. Conditioning issues can be fixed in a manner of a few weeks, but if they spend a couple months not lifting it's going to take more than a few weeks to get them back up to high intensity and volume.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 pm
  • All good points... except the lack of all the team activities for months before the season . Working out and training by themselves is probably not inspiring . Every year some players show up fat and out of shape after just a few months off .Imagine over a year off ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:15 pm

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm
  • Ours is closed too, I work out everyday so its been fun doing body weight and resistance band stuff at home.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:03 am
  • Most players make way more than enough money.
    They can have their own workout room created and hire a trainer to
    motivate.
    As for you guys..Be more creative and use the garage/spare room.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am
  • I miss the gym dearly already.

That said, at home you can get really good high intensity bodyweight circuits done in living rooms, hallways, garages.

Feel free to pm me for more or open up a topic in another section and I'll be happy to help (hint hint at my username)
    KinesProf
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:31 pm
  • Well, I look at my bottle opener and think of the Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons song "Shape I'm In" :)
    (an Oz band which probably no-one here has ever heard of, apart from Aussies and possibly Kiwis).

I've never been to a gym in my life. I'd be terrified. I'd rather go to Syria!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:36 am
  • While gyms are awesome (and I've been a gym rat a lot myself) they're almost totally unnecessary for staying in shape. Unless you're an extreme bodybuilder requiring heavy weight sets, they're unnecessary for maintaining your physique.

Own-body weight training can substitute for a lot of that: push-ups, sit-ups, eight counts, dips, pull-ups, whatever. You can probably figure out a good substitute in the confines of your own home. And cardio remains the same: jumping jacks, cherry-pickers, knee-highs, hello Dollies, running in place, whatever. Even finding a tight circle to run around in your living room can work if you really want to work out.

NFL types, sure, they may not have all the resources available they typically have, but then, they'll probably have more than you and I to begin with. But you and I? No excuse to get out of shape.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:32 pm
  • I have a home gym in one room, and next door is my drum set and guitar and full P.A.

I'm in great shape. Plus I work for a brewer so I get free microbrews.........hhhhmmmmm, it doesn't suck.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 am
  • Hit the treadmill at home. Better yet, get outside and put some miles on a trail with some good distance. I've been hitting the Lake Sammamish trail 3 times a week during recovery from knee surgery. The stress relief is incredible. Shutdowns or not, they can't ban exercise outside. And they've actually encouraged it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am
  • I have a full gym in my house and since Feb 25th I've lost 8 pounds. Another 4 and I'm at my karate tournament weight. My flexibility is perfect for my age and muscle mass is friggin amazing.
    Bring it on.

Plus my drum chops are best ever , getting my guitar callouses back as well as dexterity. Thanks Dr Corona Trump for the uplifting physicality.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:While gyms are awesome (and I've been a gym rat a lot myself) they're almost totally unnecessary for staying in shape. Unless you're an extreme bodybuilder requiring heavy weight sets, they're unnecessary for maintaining your physique.

I used to think that going to the gym and lifting weights was something bodybuilders did so they get big muscles and look good. I lift heavy weights with basic compound movements. My body fat probably has never gotten below 15%; I assume there are abs under there but I don't really care to starve myself enough to find out. Because of my avoidance of assistance exercises to get the gun show and my genetically comical skinny arms, but I don't care.

What I do care about is survival and injury. Progressively loading yourself with heavier and heavier weights in basic lifts (squats/deadlifts/overhead press/bench press) not only give you more contractile tissue (muscle) to work with, but they also improve your bone density and connective tissue. If you stress your body progressively, it will adapt to it and make you stronger.

You can make some initial improvements with body weight exercises and machines that isolate body parts. But once you get past that initial adaptation, you aren't going any farther. Your body needs more stress doing complex movements.

I remember the weak version of myself. The weak version of me would lose really badly to me in a fight. The weak version of me wouldn't be able to pick up a 200 lb person and carry them a reasonably long distance, must less pick up a lawnmower and put it in the back of a truck with ease. The weaker version of me would be gassed trying to haul up a mountain with a 70 lb ruck on, while I can keep going because it's a lot easier to move all that extra weight with base strength.

If you don't do hard labor for a living and aren't strong just the nature of things, getting stronger should be a priority. Strength is the most important adaptation. But the suck of pulling an insanely difficult amount of weight off the floor in a deadlift isn't very appealing, and these lifts need good technique and equipment a lot of gyms are short on or don't even have.

I have a power rack on a platform in my basement. With a bar, weight, bench, and all, it broke even after three years of not paying a commercial gym membership. I train on my schedule, never have to wait for equipment, and right now I can stay on my lifting schedule.

I know there are a bunch of dudes in the gym doing curls and other beach body stuff constantly. But even the good bodybuilders have a good strength base. I have to admire those dudes' eating discipline too; I'm good with tracking some macros and generally staying on target but I can't do what they do. But I don't want to look pretty, either.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm
  • I retired and got fat, so I took a job driving for FedEx , dropped 40lbs in about 3 months, now I have to drink protein to maintain 180!! Picked up alot of muscle but not the flashy bulky kind.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:29 pm
  • I retired and got fat, so I took a job driving for FedEx on a dare. I get to work with a buddy who didnt think I could hack it and a make bit of extra cash. I dropped 40lbs in about 3 months, now I have to drink protein to maintain 180!! Picked up alot of muscle but not the flashy bulky kind.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information