BEER..stuff you are trying for the first time.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Scottemojo wrote:I mention malt because German purity laws don't allow the use of non barley sugars to bottle condition. So if following those rules, krausening is your only choice to bottle carbonate.
    I think German purity laws are stupid. Beer predates Germany by way too long for me to care about their revision of the rules to a craft that really has so few.

Even Germans have backed off somewhat from the Reinheitsgebot laws of 1516. They're still there, but nobody cares as much because of some of the more interesting and tasty brews coming out that do not follow that rule.

And as far as bottle carbonation goes, while adding brewers' sugar to the wort before bottling can add fractions of a percent of strength to the abv, any real increase in abv would cause so much pressure that if the bottle top didn't explode right off during conditioning, when you opened the bottle, it would froth all over and make a mess. Adding the sugar is simply a method for adding carbonation; nothing more.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Rex wrote:
    samwize77 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Not to correct anyone harshly, but bottle conditioning isn't done to raise the alcohol, it is done to carbonate a beer in the bottle. the amount of alcohol jump is maybe a quarter of a percent, tops, usually less. The brewer waits to bottle until the brewing malts have all been consumed by yeast, then adds a specific amount of malt or sugar back into the beer just prior to bottling so they can hit a very specific carbonation style. Some of your bigger beers can take a long time to age before bottling, and have few viable yeast left, so those brewers will add yeast at the bottling stage, perhaps a yeast with a bit better tolerance to alcohol.

That Abyss from Deschutes is good stuff. IF you like that, try Dragon's Milk. If you want to spend way too much, try Black Damnation One.
    I had an Imperial Porter with pumpkin for a local brewery last night, it was pretty much perfect. Making a pumpkin beer that doesn't taste like pie is a tough task, and the brewer pulled it off.

I am bottle conditioning a Kolsch style right now, I made it with local hops my wife picked, it is a very curious beer. the hops/yeast comboI used have given it a taste and smell of pineapple. I will see how that profile holds up to lagering.

Scotte is correct. I bottle with corn sugar depending on yeast/malt bill. Some I age naturally and some are forced carbonated . I rarely let out my beers before at least 2 weeks in the bottle and I prefer 1 month or more.

Scottemojo..........you mention malt which almost sounds like krausening to me which would be very odd to do for an ale.....I guess a kolsch that is cold conditioned could benefit though. Besides assisting carbonation within the bottle krausening cleans up off the off flavors that give lagers their smoother taste profile.

samwize77.......Seems to me you are bottle conditioning ales that already have enough active yeast to convert the corn sugar within the bottle which of course wouldn't be krausening.

I mention malt because German purity laws don't allow the use of non barley sugars to bottle condition. So if following those rules, krausening is your only choice to bottle carbonate.
    I think German purity laws are stupid. Beer predates Germany by way too long for me to care about their revision of the rules to a craft that really has so few.

I absolutely agree about the Reinheitsgebot. It was mostly a protectionist law but tradition has obscured that fact with the misguided notion that the best beers can only be made with hops, barley and water. Whenever I hear brewers brag about their following Reinheitsgrebot I ask them why? Why would they put such constraints on their brewing so unnecessarily? It always ends up being a self perpetuating marketing ploy and nothing more.
    This whole divisional rivalry thing between the Rams and Seahawks should be settled at the billionaire level, in a steel cage match.

Please beat the Cheatriots. The Belicheat cheaters must never prosper.
    Rex
    NET Veteran

• Ok, I bought this on a whim.

OMG y'all, this is one of the tastiest brews I've ever had.

Most of the time when I buy on whim I'm underwhelmed. Not this time. This stuff is good. After I had a chance to taste, I looked it up on beer advocate. It got very high ratings on there as well.
    @ 9.0 ABV I wouldn't plan on too many.

I've never heard of this beer or the Brewery that produced it (Brooklyn Brewery)but I hope the store that I got from doesn't stop selling it.
    This is the first brew that I can recommend as being worth looking and going out of your way for.

I don't even know what bottle re-fermentation means but in this case I'd guess it's a good thing.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Tried Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue. Look up it's ratings, pretty much a perfect pale ale.

Lived up to it too. Just a mouthful of Citra Hops.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• pmedic920 wrote:Ok, I bought this on a whim.

OMG y'all, this is one of the tastiest brews I've ever had.

Most of the time when I buy on whim I'm underwhelmed. Not this time. This stuff is good. After I had a chance to taste, I looked it up on beer advocate. It got very high ratings on there as well.
    @ 9.0 ABV I wouldn't plan on too many.

I've never heard of this beer or the Brewery that produced it (Brooklyn Brewery)but I hope the store that I got from doesn't stop selling it.
    This is the first brew that I can recommend as being worth looking and going out of your way for.

I don't even know what bottle re-fermentation means but in this case I'd guess it's a good thing.

Man I love you brother.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

• Scottemojo wrote:Tried Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue. Look up it's ratings, pretty much a perfect pale ale.

If you like that, you need to try Zombie Dust by Three Floyds, but it is much harder to get. I do love me some Pseudo though....have a 4 pack in my fridge. Have you tried Light Speed by TG? Also, do you use Untappd by chance?
    We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. I do not see coincidence,
    I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny.
    BBlades89
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• BBlades89 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Tried Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue. Look up it's ratings, pretty much a perfect pale ale.

If you like that, you need to try Zombie Dust by Three Floyds, but it is much harder to get. I do love me some Pseudo though....have a 4 pack in my fridge. Have you tried Light Speed by TG? Also, do you use Untappd by chance?

Never tried any of those.
    I have not used untapped. I know about it, but where I am, finding the places that have good beer isn't hard. There are only about 4. I would use that app if I were out of town tho.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Black Raven in Redmond is probably my favorite brewery in existence.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Can anyone recommend a good porter?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I've got 6 new beers I'll be trying this Sunday.

Ballast point: Grapefruit Sculpin

Ballast point: habanero sculpin.

And I grabbed a Sampler 12 pack from the Brooklyn Brewery that made the Local 1 I mentioned above. It has 3 pilsners, 3 lagers, 3 IPAs and 3 American ales.
    I'll review after I have an opinion.

Actually, I already tried one of the Habaneros, was tasty but needs to be consumed with food IMHO. Was a touch spicy to drink on its own, great flavor though.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:I've got 6 new beers I'll be trying this Sunday.

Ballast point: Grapefruit Sculpin

Ballast point: habanero sculpin.

And I grabbed a Sampler 12 pack from the Brooklyn Brewery that made the Local 1 I mentioned above. It has 3 pilsners, 3 lagers, 3 IPAs and 3 American ales.
    I'll review after I have an opinion.

Actually, I already tried one of the Habaneros, was tasty but needs to be consumed with food IMHO. Was a touch spicy to drink on its own, great flavor though.

And I am bringing a fresh growler full of 667 The Neighbor of the Beast.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• OKAY, not really beer, but it counts.

A double stout. Mixed with 1/3 Not Your Dad's Rootbeer. Bartender recced it, so I tried it.

Damn good. I would cut back the rootbeer, but the idea is sound. Try it.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Largent80 wrote:Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Tropical IPA.

YUM.

Can you take growlers on airplanes that are refilled? How is that done if so?
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Tropical IPA.

YUM.

I've got to agree with L80 on this years BeerCamp. It's really good.

I've also recently tried New Belgium's "Citradelic", I enjoyed it too but not as much as the SNBC.

Both can be seen in this photo.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Tropical IPA.

YUM.

I've got to agree with L80 on this years BeerCamp. It's really good.

I've also recently tried New Belgium's "Citradelic", I enjoyed it too but not as much as the SNBC.

Both can be seen in this photo.

Who put you in the veggie drawer??? LOL
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:

First things first. That's not a veggie drawer, this is my beer fridge that sits on the back porch. It's a mini but I get pissed if my wife even try's to put a bottle of wine in there. That drawer is for bombers only.
    The one you see down there is a "Gentlemen's Relish" from Lone Pint Brewery in Magnolia Texas. It's very good stuff. If you ever make it down this way, we'll have to share one.

Good catch on the mustache though, I never noticed it before.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Tried a six of the Beer Camp Tropical IPA...meh. Not enough nose for me, and the tropical flavor barely registers.

Still looking for something similar to Green Flash's Soul Street IPA. Terrific nose, but I can't get it fresh in Iowa.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

• ^^^^
    I think it's the fact that the "tropical barely registers" is one of the points that I like about it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• HawkDaHouse wrote:Tried a six of the Beer Camp Tropical IPA...meh. Not enough nose for me, and the tropical flavor barely registers.

Still looking for something similar to Green Flash's Soul Street IPA. Terrific nose, but I can't get it fresh in Iowa.

Are you looking for a citrussy IPA?

The Fresh Squeezed from Deschutes is a good choice. Not overwhelming, and still a strong IPA.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

First things first. That's not a veggie drawer, this is my beer fridge that sits on the back porch. It's a mini but I get pissed if my wife even try's to put a bottle of wine in there. That drawer is for bombers only.
    The one you see down there is a "Gentlemen's Relish" from Lone Pint Brewery in Magnolia Texas. It's very good stuff. If you ever make it down this way, we'll have to share one.

May have to bring one to N.O., if you make the trip. ;)
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:^^^^
    I think it's the fact that the "tropical barely registers" is one of the points that I like about it.

Yeah, and I don't brew or drink beer with my nose, and this brew has a hint of tropical which to me, is the way it should be done.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I dig IPAs with a floral nose, and a bit of fruitiness to balance the bitterness. I quit drinking most lagers because they usually smell bad.

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed is very good. Again, freshness is the issue, as IPAs lose flavor about 3 weeks after bottling.

One of my favorites is Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City in Tampa. Clear orange zest makes it very refreshing for a 7.5% ABV. They only distribute to the South and a few NE states.

Another is Surly Abrasive out of MN. Terrific 11% DIPA, but an occasional treat at $4.50 per 16oz can.

Really wish more WA breweries would distribute this way. Red Hook doesn't cut it.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

• Red Hook was awesome back in the 80's but their brews lack everything now IMO. And I will say that most "floral" types of IPA are of the West coast variety. Green Flash West Coast IPA being one of the more floral of those.

I'm preferring less IBU's these days over the hop bombs of years past.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Visited an old friend yesterday. Found it in an HEB in Magnolia. Awesome sipping ale.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Uncle Si wrote:
    HawkDaHouse wrote:Tried a six of the Beer Camp Tropical IPA...meh. Not enough nose for me, and the tropical flavor barely registers.

Are you looking for a citrussy IPA?

The Fresh Squeezed from Deschutes is a good choice. Not overwhelming, and still a strong IPA.

Tried to find some to place in a couple growlers, and did not find them. Did taste a few in a bar tho. They ran out a week prior to me going in there last weekend. OOps.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Not drinking this stuff this week....

Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Haha, beat you 2it

Rob will be drinking this soon.
    He will critique ASAP.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I had the Hairy Eyeball last year. good beer.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:I had the Hairy Eyeball last year. good beer.

Rob bought it and sent me the picture.
    I posted it to mess with him.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:Haha, beat you 2it

Rob will be drinking this soon.
    He will critique ASAP.

This stuff ROCKS if you can find it. I got mine at Costco....$3.77 a bottle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hairy Eyeball is currently out of season. Be tough to find a fresh one.

Currently enjoying Green Flash's West Coast IPA. I didn't think I would enjoy DIPAs, but there's enough other flavors to balance the hop bitterness. So satisfying to the palate.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

• HawkDaHouse wrote:Hairy Eyeball is currently out of season. Be tough to find a fresh one.

Currently enjoying Green Flash's West Coast IPA. I didn't think I would enjoy DIPAs, but there's enough other flavors to balance the hop bitterness. So satisfying to the palate.

West Coast isn't a DIPA. They make an Imperial IPA that is a true DIPA. Trust me, I lived 1 1/2 miles from the brewery.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• haha, my wife got me this one because its a bit of an industry joke
    Attachments
    10485141_10209151110001995_359236115565615352_n.jpg
    10485141_10209151110001995_359236115565615352_n.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 718 times
    1450035_10209151110602010_8091269896856615882_n.jpg
    1450035_10209151110602010_8091269896856615882_n.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 718 times
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Why is West Coast labeled 'Double India Pale Ale'? I know there are stronger examples of DIPAs, but its certainly not a single IPA. Good stuff anyway, and slightly cheaper than other premium crafts.

Found a Hairy Eyeball, decent. Not much better than Dirty Bastard to me.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

• m0ng0 wrote:haha, my wife got me this one because its a bit of an industry joke

I got saw one of those near me...with a twist. I shall post when the pics come...naw changed my mind...no pics. It is the same lady with a 12s shirt on.

Second line says, " When her flight arrives at gate 12 she becomes just another crazy fan cheering on her team."
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Had a couple of these on the Mt. yesterday.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Had a few of these on the plane, both ways.

They weren't bad. I'd probably not seek them out again but enjoyable non the less.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• This stuff sucks hairy balls.

In all reality, it may be a good "imperial stout"
    I'm just not a fan of that style.
    Will not buy again.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Scottemojo wrote:Just drank 2 strange, but fun, beers.

Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra and their Habenero Sculpin.

The first is a dark beer with Curry in it. Oddly delicious.

THe Habenero beer is so strange. Hot, but not too hot, the pepper flavor isn't great with the IPA, I probably would not buy it again. But I wouldn't turn down a free one either.

Hey Scotte, I've bought 3 six packs of the Habenero in the past few weeks.

I don't just sit around drinking them but they go great with a medium rare tenderloin. Actually any meal done on the grill.
    I only have one left right now and haven't seen any lately. I'll buy another 6er when I do.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I can't find the Habanero anywhere and have searched high and low. IF you find it please snag me some.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I can't find the Habanero anywhere and have searched high and low. IF you find it please snag me some.

You got it Bro, just don't Taze me :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

I think it's great that you're willing to give Seahawkfan80 a taste of your gentlemen's relish. We need more of this kind of behavior in today's society.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

I think it's great that you're willing to give Seahawkfan80 a taste of your gentlemen's relish. We need more of this kind of behavior in today's society.

It's particularly noteworthy in Texas. Bravo and my hat off to you PMedic.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Ok, BallastPoint Grapefruit Sculpin is my current favorite beer, having said that, I came across a couple of BP's that I've never tried before.
    Pineapple Sculpin and Watermelon Dorado.
    The Dorado is a double IPA @ 10%

The pineapple is good, not as good as the grapefruit IMO but good. It has the aroma of pineapple and you smell it as you drink but does not really taste like pineapple.

IMHO the watermelon Dorado taste like cough syrup, the higher ABV% makes it a bit boozy and the smell of watermelon reminds me of, well, cough syrup.
    Both are drinkable, I won't buy the Dorado again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Actually, I'm worried that AB is going to ruin BP breweries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Last weekend I was in Baker City and had a Huckleberry beer. You could scent the beer before drinking it and then drink it and not get the flavor. I would put it in that try it once and no more. Once you get the scent, drinking it is just like drinking a regular off the shelf beer. Tried a couple citrus beers and was not too impressed. Tho I did try them. Went elsewhere to drink after that due to things that make a person happy and joyful.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information