BEER..stuff you are trying for the first time.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Tried a Scottish Ale and a Nitro Stout at the Powerhouse brewery in Puyallup. Both outstanding.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Someone brought us some of this to the brewery yesterday. It is friggin OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were in Colorado I would IV this stuff. Pretty hard to get around my neck of the woods.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/broken-com ... er/269341/

Off topic for a second.....

at your brewery, do they cap beer with screw off tops? If so, how do they do so? I have a capper and have tried on an old bottle with the old cap and it seems to work. Dunno if it would work on a twistoff top.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Someone brought us some of this to the brewery yesterday. It is friggin OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were in Colorado I would IV this stuff. Pretty hard to get around my neck of the woods.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/broken-com ... er/269341/

Off topic for a second.....

at your brewery, do they cap beer with screw off tops? If so, how do they do so? I have a capper and have tried on an old bottle with the old cap and it seems to work. Dunno if it would work on a twistoff top.

Screw off caps are for CRAP beer only. Craft beer must be sealed with a crimp on cap to not allow any air to get to it.

Pyramid ruined their really tasty Apricot Ale after they went to a twist off. Since then they either put glue on them or found a way to really tighten it. For beer, a twist off is a no go.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

5.3% abv. Available only in the Philippines. Actually a decently drinkable Belgian wit. Mild and not too heavy on the spices/citrus. In fact, I'd guess there is no coriander in it at all.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

I tried both of these recently.

From a fairly new brew house in Conroe Tx. (Close to my area)

Copper Head Brewery.

I really liked the Striker IPA. I'd give it a 7.5/10

Didn't really care for the "white", it wasn't a bad brew but it has more "spice" than I like to taste. 4/10
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Not much of a fan of Southern Star or Copperhead in our local area. Although I like what Copperhead offers over Southern Star.

Actually, Lone Pint has kicked their asses in every beer category and we just got our new bottling line going. Look for 4 packs of Yellow Rose at HEB. The new HEB on 1488 even has taps and have 2 of our brews.

Breaking ground on our new beer garden this month and I'll be the manager........ :179417:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

The lineup for the next couple nights. Tried the Mud Mountain milk stout tonight, delicious. Ive had the Irish Death before of course. I think Ill go for the Scotch Ale next.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• The Silver City FAT Scotch Ale is a winner. 9.2% ABV. Nice and smooth, little smoky, will be buying this one again.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Ok, this shit is delicious.

WARNING: @ 9% ABV, it will sneak up, and kick your ass.

If you like a " not so bitter" IPA, give it a try.

Similar to, but better than, their Ranger IPA

Small bubble carbonation, very smooth.

Not "boozy" at all.

Great brew, just don't expect to do 6 of them and drive home :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Hey Scottemojo, if you're still lurking, "check in" I miss ya Bro.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Imperial Stout: not my cup of tea.

But I've heard great things about this one.

I mailed a can to L80 recently, patiently awaiting a review:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote: From a fairly new brew house in Conroe Tx. (Close to my area)

Got a buddy who has a house on Lake Conroe, he's always trying to get me down there to do some fishing and hunting. He also has a ranch / acreage somewhere in that area / region he has set up for duck and geese hunting.
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• Foghawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote: From a fairly new brew house in Conroe Tx. (Close to my area)

Got a buddy who has a house on Lake Conroe, he's always trying to get me down there to do some fishing and hunting. He also has a ranch / acreage somewhere in that area / region he has set up for duck and geese hunting.

Get out of your rut, come' on down.

You might be surprised.
    The south does have a "charm".

:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Well, like I always tell him, one of these days I'll make it there. :lol:
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• Got some hand me down Chocolate Bock Sam Adams...not sure what to think as I am waiting til the weekend to drink it. Got some leinenkugals Harvest Patch Shandy. Been doing those for the past couple nights. Also some Leinies Maple Dunkel. Dunkel is not too bad, but I would probably not purchase it myself.

Got the costco specials too and the German dont taste too bad. In fact all of them dont taste too bad. Like the IPA too.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Even though I prefer my beer come out of a bottle or a tap I would probably grab one of those Ten Fidy's if a came across it and give it a try. Kind of partial to a good stout one. :D

I like to grab these anytime I can get my hands on them. 9.5% ABV and damn tasty.

Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• Foghawk wrote:Even though I prefer my beer come out of a bottle or a tap I would probably grab one of those Ten Fidy's if a came across it and give it a try. Kind of partial to a good stout one. :D

I like to grab these anytime I can get my hands on them. 9.5% ABV and damn tasty.

Hopefully L80 will be around soon to give us a review:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Tical21 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good porter?

If you're talking about something you can go buy in a bottle, the best commonly available one I've found is Deschutes Black Butte Porter.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Foghawk wrote:

I'm a 30 minute drive from there.

And that Imperial stout Lon sent me was incredibly powerful stuff. Sits at a 12%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stoutiest stout I've ever had.....Whew.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    Foghawk wrote:

I'm a 30 minute drive from there.

And that Imperial stout Lon sent me was incredibly powerful stuff. Sits at a 12%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stoutiest stout I've ever had.....Whew.

I'll have to get together with you guys for some beers when I do make it over there. :irishdrinkers:

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the Ten Fidy, sounds like one I need to try at least once. And, we all know Ten Fidy > Tree Fidy :lol:
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• Well, I'm having my annual spring party sometime in April. Lon came last year with Rhonda.

Open jam / live band (as opposed to a dead one).

Pot Luck and kegs of beer etc.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good porter?

If you're talking about something you can go buy in a bottle, the best commonly available one I've found is Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

Yeah, that's the go-to, I guess. Always solid. I'll have to see what else I can find out there.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if it's been mentioned in the past 6 pages, but I tried some Firestone Union Jack IPA last night and it was absolutely delicious.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Dragons Milk.

11% abv Imperial stout. Super smooth vanilla/ bourbon taste.

This is my new favorite beer.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• *UPDATE*

Sipped this down out of a frosty mug after my SB meal. Delicious after meal desert, and that 12.7 ABV hooo doggy ;) . Have another bottle stashed away for a future tasting.

Going to be trying one of these today for the 1st time, looking forward to it. :irishdrinkers:

Release Number: 73
    ABV%: 12.70%
    Brew Date: 10/12/2015
    Pack Date: 8/24/2016
    Brewery: Salt Lake City
    Malt: Maris Otter Malt, 2-Row Brewer Malt, Crystal, Light Munich Malt T1, 2-Row chocolate malt, 2-row black malt, roasted barley
    Boil: Nugget, Chinook, Cascade
    Spices: Blue Copper Coffee "Guatemalan Blend" and Cocoa Nibs
    Last edited by Foghawk on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• I got some Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and am thinking if it tastes bad adding some peppermint stick crushed and liquidated. LIke the witch yanno.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:I got some Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and am thinking if it tastes bad adding some peppermint stick crushed and liquidated. LIke the witch yanno.

Dude...Sam Adams?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Foghawk wrote:Even though I prefer my beer come out of a bottle or a tap I would probably grab one of those Ten Fidy's if a came across it and give it a try. Kind of partial to a good stout one. :D

I need this. Even though I live just a couple of hours up the river from Full Sail, I can't find this one. I usually stop at the brewery a couple times a year. Hoping I can get down there in the next month or 2 and grab one. Prayers pls.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:I got some Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and am thinking if it tastes bad adding some peppermint stick crushed and liquidated. LIke the witch yanno.

Dude...Sam Adams?

First of all, Sam Adams cherry wheat is good tasting stuff. Second, I got these for free. But the box did have some Leinenkugels in it as well. Lotta maple dunkels from Wisconsin.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned in the past 6 pages, but I tried some Firestone Union Jack IPA last night and it was absolutely delicious.

I'd did mention it a while back.

I really enjoy it as well.
    I can only get it at one place that I'm aware of though, and I don't get to that store very often.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I'm not a fan of IPAs, generally speaking. Excessively hoppy flavor is just meh, and IPAs were only invented so they'd last long enough to get to India from Britain via ship without going bad or being as subject to contaminants. It was a compromise born of necessity, not some amazing new discovery. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Everyones pallete is different.

I enjoy IPA. One cant session super bitter IPA's until you get 3 down, then who cares because they sit at about 9%

What bugs me are the people that think "American lagers" are what beer is supposed to taste like.

What sell outs. Really?....Are you going to let mega conglomerate companies like Coors and Bud tell you what beer is supposed to taste like?

They don't even use ingredients that what beer is made of.

Hint...There are 4.

Water, Malt, Hops, and yeast.

Thats it, if your beer has rice and corn, then you are a jackass.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a fan of IPAs, generally speaking. Excessively hoppy flavor is just meh, and IPAs were only invented so they'd last long enough to get to India from Britain via ship without going bad or being as subject to contaminants. It was a compromise born of necessity, not some amazing new discovery. ;)

This is 100% false.

http://zythophile.co.uk/2011/08/04/four ... or-ipaday/

People enjoy IPA because they either acquired the palate or because they naturally like the bitterness. (Though a lot of modern day IPAs are more citrusy than bitter due to hops like the varietals coming from New Zealand or out of the lab at places like Oregon State University.)

Guess I'm having a Block 15 DIPA tonight.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I'm not a big IPA drinker either, I tend to gravitate to a quality Amber Ale if I'm not sipping on a Stout. We should all be happy there are so many choices out there these days. :mrgreen:
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• There are unfortunately too few good red ales out there. I had an Imperial one at Central Coast Brewing that was insanely good.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sarlacc83 wrote:This is 100% false.

People enjoy IPA because they either acquired the palate or because they naturally like the bitterness. (Though a lot of modern day IPAs are more citrusy than bitter due to hops like the varietals coming from New Zealand or out of the lab at places like Oregon State University.)

Did you fully read what you linked me? I'll post the salient point:

Sarlacc's Article wrote:Myth 3: “British brewers discovered that if they put lots of hops and alcohol in the beers they were sending out, the strong beer wouldn’t go sour on the four-month voyage around Africa.”

Certainly by the 1760s brewers were being told that it was “absolutely necessary” to add extra hops to beer if it was being sent to somewhere warm. But this was not limited to India.

Doesn't even matter if adding hops to beer makes it last longer in travel or not, that was a widely known "fact" at the time as your own article confirms. How is it 100% false, again? I said I'm not much of a fan of the bitterness, and it being born out of necessity - according to the article, or at least it was commonly accepted knowledge at the time as it said - contributes to my dislike of it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a fan of IPAs, generally speaking. Excessively hoppy flavor is just meh, and IPAs were only invented so they'd last long enough to get to India from Britain via ship without going bad or being as subject to contaminants. It was a compromise born of necessity, not some amazing new discovery. ;)

This is 100% false.

Jesus, you're alive man? haha
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:There are unfortunately too few good red ales out there. I had an Imperial one at Central Coast Brewing that was insanely good.

Buoy Beer makes a great Red, too bad they don't bottle it.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Starter

• The 2017 "Beer Camp" just hit my area.

Grabbed myself a 6er on the way home today.

I'll fill y'all in later :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:This is 100% false.

Did you fully read what you linked me? I'll post the salient point:

Sarlacc's Article wrote:Myth 3: “British brewers discovered that if they put lots of hops and alcohol in the beers they were sending out, the strong beer wouldn’t go sour on the four-month voyage around Africa.”

Certainly by the 1760s brewers were being told that it was “absolutely necessary” to add extra hops to beer if it was being sent to somewhere warm. But this was not limited to India.

Doesn't even matter if adding hops to beer makes it last longer in travel or not, that was a widely known "fact" at the time as your own article confirms. How is it 100% false, again? I said I'm not much of a fan of the bitterness, and it being born out of necessity - according to the article, or at least it was commonly accepted knowledge at the time as it said - contributes to my dislike of it.

Posts #3. Doesn't post #2.

Myth 2: “IPAs started life as a British export to their troops stationed out in India back in the 1800s.”

Fact: Pale ale was around from at least the 17th century and pale ales were being exported to India from at least the 1780s, if not before. And they weren’t drunk by the troops, either those of the East India Company’s forces or the later British Army forces in India, who much preferred porter, and continued drinking porter in India right through to the end of the 19th century. The pale ales exported by Hodgson, Bass, Allsopp and others were drunk by the middle and upper classes among the Europeans in India, the military officers and the “civil servants”, the civilians who worked for the East India Company, trading, administrating and collecting taxes.

This myth was started because Burton claims this is the reason they invented IPA.

From his other article:
    http://zythophile.co.uk/2010/03/31/ipa- ... e-summary/

We have evidence that pale ale was being made at least as early as 1675, brewed under that name by 1705 and that pale ale was being sold in London by 1709 at the latest.

We have evidence that ale and beer were being exported, apparently successfully, to India as early as 1711.

We know that by the 1760s brewers were being advised that it was “absolutely necessary” to add extra hops to beer if it was being sent to warmer climes. There is no evidence linking this advice, to hop export beer more heavily, to any specific brewer.

Let's finally dispel this myth that it was invented to survive the voyage with:
    http://zythophile.co.uk/false-ale-quote ... -to-india/

Porter survived the trip fine. Hops weren't a necessity against spoilage. Just because brewers were told that it was, doesn't actually make it true.

So, your reasons are wrong. You don't have to like IPA. I don't care. I used to dislike it, too. But stop spreading your discontent under myths and half-truths. Just dislike it without this faux-intellectual rigor.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• mistaowen wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a fan of IPAs, generally speaking. Excessively hoppy flavor is just meh, and IPAs were only invented so they'd last long enough to get to India from Britain via ship without going bad or being as subject to contaminants. It was a compromise born of necessity, not some amazing new discovery. ;)

This is 100% false.

Jesus, you're alive man? haha

Sometimes I'll scroll through the beer thread in between trips to RateBeer, just to see what non-beer geeks are drinking.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sometimes I'll scroll through the beer thread in between trips to RateBeer, just to see what non-beer geeks are drinking.

Here's the deal for me.

I'm not a beer geek or snob, fact is, I know very little about BEER.

My main alcoholic beverage for many years was AMERICAN whiskey. MakersMark was/is my affordable, easy to find "go to".

I've drank a shit load of beer in my day but I've never really enjoyed drinking it, it was just something to drink, it was an easy, cheap buzz.

A few years ago, I set out to find out what all the "stir" was about. I started buying a 6 pack of this or that, just to see what I'd find. In the process, I found that I liked (really enjoyed) some of the IPAs and American/ Farmhouse ales. I started with what I could find at the same place I bought my Copenhagen or groceries. As I got more interested I moved onto some of the liquor stores or specialty shops, I started talking to folks and looking stuff up.

I've really grown to like the the IPAs but they really do vary so much. I find one that I like for every 5-6 that I wouldn't drink again.

I'd actually at this point love to try my hand at brewing some of my own, I just don't have the time to devote. Maybe some day I will.

I've had a few stouts that I liked but only for an occasional change of pace, or after a meal as a finisher. I feel the same way about the sours, or porters.

I don't like anything that tastes like it was artificiality flavored. An example would be, Ballast Points Grapefruit Sculpin vs Shiners RubyRed. One seems legit, the other flavored.

My intention in starting this tread was to share some of the beers that I found to be enjoyable. I don't expect everyone, or even anyone to agree with me, I just want to share.

I really wish we all could get together and share what we like in person.

I look at beer kinda like I do the Seahawks, something that can unite us in spite of our differences.

GoHawks
    GoBeer
    :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Foghawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:You may like another fanbases beer sport too. Enjoy.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/the ... ort.52009/

Thanks S80.

Anybody had this, too lazy to go back through the thread. :mrgreen:

This is now at the top of my list of beers to hopefully one day taste.

http://www.gooseisland.com/our-beers/

Which one? It popped up with a list of about 40 or more beers.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• This looked interesting.

Didn't buy one but I do like the "peppered" brews that I've tried.

Ballast Point Habanero Skulpin being my fav.

This is an imperial stout with 2 types of peppers. Anybody tried this yet?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:This looked interesting.

Didn't buy one but I do like the "peppered" brews that I've tried.

Ballast Point Habanero Skulpin being my fav.

This is an imperial stout with 2 types of peppers. Anybody tried this yet?

I tried a Halapeno beer in one of the bars in McCall last week. It had a tiny bite to it but over all not the flavor that I was looking for. They had no really red beers that I prefer in town, so I had one of their secondary semi red beers called ESB. It tasted ok both times thursday while I was in there. Salmon River Brewery I think is the name of the second place. Winter Carnival stuff going on yanno. http://salmonriverbrewery.com/beer-selection/

Should have gone with the pumkin pale ale. I kinda like the Red Hook punkin ale.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• The one in the picture S80, Bourbon County Stout. :lol:

Goose Island Beer Co. does have quite a number of brews, I don't think I've ever had any of them.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Grabbed myself a 6er on the way home today.

I'll fill y'all in later :{)

Shouldn't we be waiting for L80's review first?

:lol:
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information