Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION
Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:15 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:Late to the party, so I'll make it quick. Very happy to see some people as disappointed as I was. J.J. Abrams was in total fanboy mode and it showed.

He had the absolute perfect setup: keys to the greatest sci-fi franchise of all time, the founder sold out, he's gone and the stench of his three past failures was ready to be blown away. He could do ANYTHING he wanted with the franchise, it was a blank slate! Not that I expected Fellini or anything, but it's time to move this franchise forward!

Instead we get a planet sized battle platform with a death ray that has a shield weakness? Really? REALLY?

Great effects, I liked most of the casting (except one--almost there), typical laughs at times by Abrams, good to see beloved characters again. But I expected all that AND a fresh plot, so I am disappointed.

And for the older fans who watched the movie: the last face I expected to see behind the mask of the future baddest azz mutha in all the universe...was Arnold Horshack.

Sucks you didn't enjoy it. Sorry, man.

I loved it.

On a side note, Mark Hamill is a pretty good dude. Anyone follow him on Twitter and see him save Star Wars fans tons of money? He responds to followers who want to buy authentic memorabilia by authenticating his autograph on stuff. Pretty cool.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 pm
  • I think people lose track that it's a 3 part story arc. While I personally think TFA stands alone as a great movie, I think those with disappointments really should give the story a chance to play out all the way through. Hopefully we'll all be surprised and satisfied in the end. Well obviously not all, but most of us.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    marko358 wrote:Also, really want to give kudos to the cinematography. Quite outstanding IMO. The downed Destroyer and snow light saber scenes were impressive.

Abrams went old school cinematography, using real locations, real explosions, real sets, and real backdrops......gave Force Awakens a much richer full scope and vibe.

Maybe Lucas was a victim of the time he made the prequels, every CGI heavy director was leaning hard on the technology at that time, kinda forgetting that yeah you can use CGI and green screens for most of your shots and background characters, but it's still fake, and thus takes the audience out of it.

Restraint with CGI, what it do.

To me that was one of the keys to making this a great flick and getting back the "feel" of the originals.
    I'm not a huge Star Wars junkie, but I respect how groundbreaking and well done the original (first 3) were.

Overall this was a well done movie.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm
  • I didn't see this until today..... can't wait. :D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:50 pm
  • Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 pm
  • It was alright, but there were just way too many call-backs, nods, and scene-breaking stabs at humor -- plus all of the obvious parallels with ANH. In a vacuum it was fine (for younger fans somewhat new to the series) but I'd put it behind 4-6 and Rogue One (LOVED IT), and maybe even ROTS. I expected a little better from Abrams, because Star Trek was fantastic even though it was a mish-mash of reboot and 'ongoing plot'.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 pm
  • Yeah man I've cooled on TFA a little bit but I still love it. I'm with you on Rogue One though, that movie was masterfully done. Highly underrated.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Yeah man I've cooled on TFA a little bit but I still love it. I'm with you on Rogue One though, that movie was masterfully done. Highly underrated.

Two years later, people finally starting to agree with my initial opinion a bit? ;)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Yeah man I've cooled on TFA a little bit but I still love it. I'm with you on Rogue One though, that movie was masterfully done. Highly underrated.

Two years later, people finally starting to agree with my initial opinion a bit? ;)

Zebulon Dak wrote:I still love it.

Nope.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 pm
  • Really wonder that of the relationship with Rey and with Luke. And should discuss it all in the movie
    Love Poe and Finn.
    May Spring Day!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Nope.

It's alright, you can let the truth see the light of day a bit. Nothing wrong with that.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Nope.

It's alright, you can let the truth see the light of day a bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, I love it. I really do. I've probably watched it 30 times at this point, maybe more. I have some qualms, a few things I dislike, things I wish we're different on a fundamental level, but they account for little in the overall enjoyment and satisfaction. And I think that people who don't like it, for the most part, do so because they're unable to detach what they already know and what they expect. If you expect these movies to live up to the charm, the spectacle, the wonder & nostalgia of the original films you're guaranteed to be disappointed. It is literally impossible unless you're about 14 years old or younger.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 pm
  • I remember think -- "Really, that was what everyone was talking about?"

Still think TFA was the worst Star Wars movie ever made... and that means it actually trumped this low point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSNhMSaVgk
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm
  • There is no defense for how bad the prequels were. I get that it's different for the younger generation who grew up with them, but c'mon. Objectively there's just no way. It's like liking the Lethal Weapon show on Fox better than Lethal Weapon 4 or liking the Hobbit trilogy better than LOTR. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do, but it says a lot more about those people's taste than it does about the quality of the movies.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 am
  • Nostalgia doesn't play a role with me for Star Wars because I managed to not see them until I was 13. This has been discussed before.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 pm
  • Just saw it with my family. We all enjoyed it. Even my seven year old stayed awake until 1:00 am.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm
  • TLJ is easily twice the Star Wars film TFA is. I liked it a lot.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 am
  • The first half hour of this movie was terrible. I was seriously about to walk out. Glad I didnt because the last hour and a half was great.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:04 am
  • Too. Many. Jokes.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:TLJ is easily twice the Star Wars film TFA is. I liked it a lot.

:2thumbs:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:TLJ is easily twice the Star Wars film TFA is. I liked it a lot.

:2thumbs:

And here you thought I'd think it would suck on general principle. :)

In all seriousness, I wish they'd kick Abrams the hell off of the next one and give it to Rian Johnson instead.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:The first half hour of this movie was terrible. I was seriously about to walk out. Glad I didnt because the last hour and a half was great.

I hated the first act of this movie the first time I saw it. I was really disappointed. I would never have walked out haha but the tone of the film was very worrisome to start. But I gave it a second chance and changed my mind. Made so much more sense and didn't bother me at all the second time through.

Btw I love that we're talking about this movie in a two year old thread hahaha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:50 pm
  • I have enjoyed all three of the new SW films. They are different but all have something to offer. Is any of them perfect? Nope. But they feel more like Star Wars to me than the prequels ever did.

The prequels tried too hard to be tech spectacle with the latest, greatest CGI. The heart was missing. I didn’t feel emotionally invested in any of the characters.

The new movies use a good blend of modern computer effects and practical effects. And the characters are better written.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:36 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:I have enjoyed all three of the new SW films. They are different but all have something to offer. Is any of them perfect? Nope. But they feel more like Star Wars to me than the prequels ever did.

The prequels tried too hard to be tech spectacle with the latest, greatest CGI. The heart was missing. I didn’t feel emotionally invested in any of the characters.

The new movies use a good blend of modern computer effects and practical effects. And the characters are better written.

Agree on all accounts.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm
  • I personally don't think it's even fathomable that TFA feels more like Star Wars than Revenge of the Sith does, but...*shrug*
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I personally don't think it's even fathomable that TFA feels more like Star Wars than Revenge of the Sith does, but...*shrug*

Well, outside of Anakin and Obi's lightsaber battle, that movie sucked about as much balls as the two before it. TFA may have been a safe, borderline rehash, but it felt authentic, introduced some great new characters, and set a good tone for the future of the franchise. Not really all that complicated, considering ROTS failed in basically all those aspects, and many others.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:30 am
  • So, anyways; how's the weather?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am
  • Revenge of the Sithy. Gonna be a long winter.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 am
  • Really didn't know how to feel about TLJ after walking out of the first showing on Thursday. (Spoilers going forward) Parts of the movie I really liked, but a lot of decisions I felt were questionable. I didn't even mind Superman-Leia the second go round.

Watched it again Saturday night and I love TLJ - it's a fantastic Star Wars movie. I thought the Force connection between Kylo and Rey was one of the coolest parts of the movie and was a really interesting addition to the universe. Parts that included any combination of Rey/Kylo/Luke were very well done. Hyperdrive Kamikaze was a spectacle.

That said, I do have my qualms with the movie and just because I think it's a fantastic Star Wars movie doesn't mean I think it's a fantastic movie overall. From the moment that Luke tosses the Graflex over his shoulder, which completely ruins the ending of TFA and turns it into a joke (this is my personal opinion on this scene and context), to the lack of any stakes really being built in the movie, to the fact that we have next-to-nothing to look forward to in Episode IX - it has it's downfalls.

This is honestly like a TL;DR of my thoughts on the movie, there's a lot more that I could get into. That might have to wait for a TLJ: SPOILER EDITION thread, though.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am
  • Loved the movie. Such a dramatic shift in storytelling, mood and theme, which you'd want (IMO) 8 movies into something. TFA was necessary because of how bad the prequels were. But TLJ was as necessary to keep the franchise going. Everyone was expecting Empire, and they got it but in a way i dont think people expected.

Let the past die...

Will be interesting to see how JJ deals with it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm
  • People HATE this movie haha. The only thing funnier than the look on Hux's face during the "can you hear me now?" conversation is the wave of vehemently angry entitled fanboys.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 pm
  • Not as bad as TFA, but not nearly as good as Rogue One or the original trilogy.

However, sections of the movie were nothing more than runny poop.

Flying Marry Poppins Leia was stupid, STUPID.

And what they did to Luke was criminal. Instead of an optimistic hero who believes in good things so much he actually convinces his father to come back to the good side, we get some freaking abortion of a version of Luke deciding. "This kid is a brat, so he should effing die."

It's like Mark Hamill said.... it's a story written for children by children. It's Star Wars in the same way that McDonalds is food...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Loved the movie. Such a dramatic shift in storytelling, mood and theme, which you'd want (IMO) 8 movies into something. TFA was necessary because of how bad the prequels were. But TLJ was as necessary to keep the franchise going. Everyone was expecting Empire, and they got it but in a way i dont think people expected.

Let the past die...

Probably the same way he did VII and VIII, and everything else he's ever done - introducing new characters, posing new questions, then doing absolutely nothing with them and just killing them off. If that's what you mean by "let the past die", then yeah.

I'm not one of the fanboys who thinks characters and plotlines should go exactly the way I'd like. I just don't want to see them wasted and tossed into the dumpster like a boat full of red herrings.

Only thing worse than those fanboys is the people who are openly declaring their love for TLJ purely to spite the fanboys. The film was just a badly written piece of trout, loved by contrarian trolls.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:George Lucas made a simple spaghetti western in space

It's more like Lucas kludged Westerns, Samurai films, and War movies and threw them into outer space, and BTW, Westerns and Samurai films were essentially the same genre, the only difference being the setting.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:44 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Loved the movie. Such a dramatic shift in storytelling, mood and theme, which you'd want (IMO) 8 movies into something. TFA was necessary because of how bad the prequels were. But TLJ was as necessary to keep the franchise going. Everyone was expecting Empire, and they got it but in a way i dont think people expected.

Let the past die...

Probably the same way he did VII and VIII, and everything else he's ever done - introducing new characters, posing new questions, then doing absolutely nothing with them and just killing them off. If that's what you mean by "let the past die", then yeah.

I'm not one of the fanboys who thinks characters and plotlines should go exactly the way I'd like. I just don't want to see them wasted and tossed into the dumpster like a boat full of red herrings.

Only thing worse than those fanboys is the people who are openly declaring their love for TLJ purely to spite the fanboys. The film was just a badly written piece of trout, loved by contrarian trolls.

Did you just call me a troll?

What a donkey. I love how people get so arrogant about their opinions of a sci fi movie. Like there’s some ownership of the stories because you saw A New Hope at a drive in (I did)

I could care less what fanboys of either side think. The stories were stale. TLJ adds a new chapter, new heroes for a new generation of Star Wars fans. The former heroes are sacrificed to development, like heroes in real life. A teacher should never be smarter than their students. But sure.. thrown into a dumpster. Both movies have done it in ways that celebrate the former heroes in ways that are far more common to heroes of old lore.

I enjoyed it. Not to be contrarian regardless of a condescending internet expert.

Loved the imagery, the pacing, the action sequences and particularly the ending. Sure, there were issues. It’s a Star Wars movie.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 pm
  • We're not allowed to like this movie, Si. I have been instructed quite thoroughly that it is indeed TRASH. Even by former .NET members who haven't actually seen it yet and who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Tip Curlyvine).
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:We're not allowed to like this movie, Si. I have been instructed quite thoroughly that it is indeed TRASH. Even by former .NET members who haven't actually seen it yet and who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Tip Curlyvine).

It’s unfortunate. Truly moreso that by loving it we are “contrarian trolls” incapable of concluding our connection to the film and it’s imprint on the series.

There were five or six scenes that I’d say were the best filmed in any of the films. Sure.. it distances itself from the trilogy in an abrupt way... but damn man, that’s life. “The Supreme Leader is dead... long live the Suprene Leader”

I thought Luke’s sacrifice was fantastic. Proving that heroism isn’t always ultimate victory because evil never dies.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Loved the movie. Such a dramatic shift in storytelling, mood and theme, which you'd want (IMO) 8 movies into something. TFA was necessary because of how bad the prequels were. But TLJ was as necessary to keep the franchise going. Everyone was expecting Empire, and they got it but in a way i dont think people expected.

Let the past die...

Did you just call me a troll?

GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am
  • Damn you

I also want to state, for the record, that this was my first every "nerd out" post about a movie. It felt... good. Like oddly good.

The days of arguing about the impact of renaissance culture on the founding of democracy or the influence of beat writing on subculture is over.

Up with Nerds
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Damn you

I also want to state, for the record, that this was my first every "nerd out" post about a movie. It felt... good. Like oddly good.

The days of arguing about the impact of renaissance culture on the founding of democracy or the influence of beat writing on subculture is over.

Up with Nerds

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:46 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Let the past die...

I am no contrarian. I loved The Last Jedi. It had flaws, but no movie doesn't. I think the haters are the contrarians, as they're in the minority. Whiney fanboys coordinating an attack on Rotten Tomatoes because they actually put more stock in that shit than the confidence of their own opinions. They have to prove they're right because they're afraid to admit they're wrong. It's no different than DCEU fanboys complaining about bad reviews for obviously shit films. BTW, as I've stated before I am a huge Star Wars nerd.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information