Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION
Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:14 pm
  • As far as familiarity and repetitive plots go, I'm a lot more willing to accept them if the rest of the movie is good. That wasn't the case with the prequels. It was the case here. I think a lot of people felt the same way.

That said, I do want VIII to strike out in some new directions.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:29 pm
  • TFA has officially passed Avatar as the highest grossing film domestically. In 3 weeks. Avatar was in theaters for 37 weeks. So that's a thing. Still got a ways to go for the worldwide record but it's not out of the question.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:As far as familiarity and repetitive plots go, I'm a lot more willing to accept them if the rest of the movie is good. That wasn't the case with the prequels. It was the case here. I think a lot of people felt the same way.

That said, I do want VIII to strike out in some new directions.

This sums up my views on the film as well. The prequels can die in a fire.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:56 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:TFA has officially passed Avatar as the highest grossing film domestically. In 3 weeks. Avatar was in theaters for 37 weeks. So that's a thing. Still got a ways to go for the worldwide record but it's not out of the question.

Not likely, though. TFA will taper off faster than Avatar, Avatar's attendance pattern is the exception, not the rule. If I were to make an educated guess, I think TFA will finish domestically between $940m-$970m, and $1b-$1.3b internationally, giving it $1.9b-$2.3b worldwide, which will be good enough for either 2nd or 3rd worldwide, at best $400m behind Avatar. Just IMHO, though.

P.S. - Analyzing the box office is a small hobby of mine. Weird, I know, but I rarely get a chance to discuss it because no one finds it that interesting.
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

RIP Keith Jackson, 1928-2018
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 pm
  • TFA is at $764.4 million domesictally with another $812.2 million internationally and it hasn't even opened in China yet. That happens Saturday. Expect a big boost to the international numbers come next Monday.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:TFA is at $764.4 million domesictally with another $812.2 million internationally and it hasn't even opened in China yet. That happens Saturday. Expect a big boost to the international numbers come next Monday.

But Star Wars doesn’t have a big following in China, where the originals were only officially screened there in June. The prequels only mustered $18m combined, and they're the most name recognition TFA has there. Even an optimistic prediction of a $250m total will only push TFA to 1.06b internationally. It's not likely to break chinese box office records.
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:00 am
  • Just wanted to say it was awesome again. Not many movies can leave goosebumps when you think about the ending weeks after seeing it.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:01 am
  • And Mark Hamill is awesome. I've actually gotten two replies back from him via DM on Twitter. Dude is all in on the final two episodes, and is nice as can be.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 am
  • Star Wars, historically, hasn't done great in China so it's not a huge surprise.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Star Wars, historically, hasn't done great in China so it's not a huge surprise.

What's the story behind that?

Also, notice anything different here?

Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:05 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Star Wars, historically, hasn't done great in China so it's not a huge surprise.

I don't know. I don't even know how accurate it is as I haven't looked up the numbers at all (maybe Maulbert knows) I just remember reading an article a few weeks ago that said not to expect huge numbers in China as they tend to not be too big on Star Wars. I think they were mostly basing it on the prequels though, which I believe had a pretty poor showing over there. And rightfully so.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:28 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Star Wars, historically, hasn't done great in China so it's not a huge surprise.

I don't know. I don't even know how accurate it is as I haven't looked up the numbers at all (maybe Maulbert knows) I just remember reading an article a few weeks ago that said not to expect huge numbers in China as they tend to not be too big on Star Wars. I think they were mostly basing it on the prequels though, which I believe had a pretty poor showing over there. And rightfully so.

I said it before. The first Star Wars China saw was The Phantom Menace. The prequels only drew a combined $18m in China, and the originals were only screened for the first time in China last summer. It has no following.
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:50 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    I said it before. The first Star Wars China saw was The Phantom Menace.

No wonder they hate the franchise then. Mystery solved!
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:31 pm
  • Theres also a political socio element.. the government sees politics in everything, and while they couldnt stop a giant movie like The Force Awakens to be played this time around, the overall theme of a small band of rebels fighting against an all powerful government is one they subtly will undermine. I know that sounds paranoid, but its just a fact of life there.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:37 am
  • I just saw this for the 5th time and it did not lose it's luster. I loved every minute of it again. I can't wait for this to come out digitally (April 4th Btw). What a fantastic film. It simply delivers in a way many films don't anymore. Most, really.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I just saw this for the 5th time and it did not lose it's luster. I loved every minute of it again. I can't wait for this to come out digitally (April 4th Btw). What a fantastic film. It simply delivers in a way many films don't anymore. Most, really.

Thats funny..I just saw it last night for the 7th time. Saw it in 4D... second time but apparently 4D varies by theater and this one was better. It snowed in the theater... But Im not into the 4d.. my friends wanted to try it.

I agree that it doesnt lose its luster..and having read a couple things online it actually made a bit more sense to me. I now get who the old man is at the beginning..I now get how the base works and why its blast could be seen etc. I do think Abrams should have fleshed that out a bit more.

But overall..yea..its something I will watch a bunch..
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm
  • 4D? Really? That's a thing? Sounds badass to me haha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:4D? Really? That's a thing? Sounds badass to me haha.

4D is pretty big over here.. its like Star Tours.. the seats move, there are strobes, smells, smoke, snow, rain, etc..
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am
  • So I wanted to run something by you guys that I noticed yesterday. During the scene where Maz Kanata is talking to Rey after her lightsaber vision, right when she says "whoever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back" there's just the subtlest, faintest little hint of the song "Battle of The Heroes" from Revenge of The Sith, which is the main theme to Anakin & Obi-Wan's battle.

It could just be total coincidence, it could be absolutely nothing. But it also could be a super perfect well placed hint to something... although I don't know what exactly haha. There is the theory going around that Rey's somehow a Kenobi, but then again there's pretty much a theory that she's a descendant of every possible OT and PT bloodline in existence.

Might be nothing. But then again it's exactly the kind of thing John Williams would do to just give you a hint of a hint that it's a reference to something or someone we know.

So here's the stuff for context. Check it out if you're interested. Again, could be something, could be absolutely nothing. Either way it piqued my interest yesterday when I noticed it.

Here's the song from ROTS, right at the beginning you'll hear the melody I'm talking about, listen to about the first 30 seconds or so (especially the 2nd time the line goes around):

And here's the one from TFA, go to about 1:30 and listen closely for the next 30 seconds or so, similar line plays twice here as well (and remember, it's exactly as she says "whoever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back":

Thoughts?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:45 am
  • I've read something about this, and dismissed it. Kenobi never had children as he fell under the whole "never get laid" school of Jedi thought. They'd have to do some pretty intense backstory to prove it, but I just don't buy it. She's Luke's daughter as the visions triggered from a Skywalker light saber.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:51 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:I've read something about this, and dismissed it. Kenobi never had children as he fell under the whole "never get laid" school of Jedi thought. They'd have to do some pretty intense backstory to prove it, but I just don't buy it. She's Luke's daughter as the visions triggered from a Skywalker light saber.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. That doesn't go against what I'm talking about here as a possible hint of something though. Or at least a possible subtle reference to something or someone. Again, the Kenobi theory is just one of many, very unlikely scenarios floating around while we wait to find out what really happened.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:55 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:I've read something about this, and dismissed it. Kenobi never had children as he fell under the whole "never get laid" school of Jedi thought. They'd have to do some pretty intense backstory to prove it, but I just don't buy it. She's Luke's daughter as the visions triggered from a Skywalker light saber.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. That doesn't go against what I'm talking about here as a possible hint of something though. Or at least a possible subtle reference to something or someone. Again, the Kenobi theory is just one of many, very unlikely scenarios floating around while we wait to find out what really happened.

Oh, I agree. While I don't agree with all of them, it's still interesting to speculate on this. Have you read the one on it was Han who actually triggered the light saber? I think he (Han) did, it's here if you want to read it.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:I've read something about this, and dismissed it. Kenobi never had children as he fell under the whole "never get laid" school of Jedi thought. They'd have to do some pretty intense backstory to prove it, but I just don't buy it. She's Luke's daughter as the visions triggered from a Skywalker light saber.

Oh, I agree. While I don't agree with all of them, it's still interesting to speculate on this. Have you read the one on it was Han who actually triggered the light saber? I think he (Han) did, it's here if you want to read it.

Totally. Makes a lot of sense. And you can tell by his face when he's talking to Leia on D'qar that, as soon as he decides he's gonna go after Ben, he pretty much knows he's gonna die. Leia's all "bring him home" but Han knows that's not how it's going to work out.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Totally. Makes a lot of sense. And you can tell by his face when he's talking to Leia on D'qar that, as soon as he decides he's gonna go after Ben, he pretty much knows he's gonna die. Leia's all "bring him home" but Han knows that's not how it's going to work out.

Actually, by killing himself Han is helping bring Ben home. Kylo couldn't find Luke, and couldn't kill his father either. Han triggering the saber almost guarantees Kylo can still be saved, and thus brought home for Leia.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

Actually, by killing himself Han is helping bring Ben home. Kylo couldn't find Luke, and couldn't kill his father either. Han triggering the saber almost guarantees Kylo can still be saved, and thus brought home for Leia.

Yeah, I suppose what you say is true... from a certain point of view. ;)
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:33 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

Yeah, I suppose what you say is true... from a certain point of view. ;)

Agreed, it's all merely fun speculation until the next movie.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:32 pm
  • Saw it for the 3rd time last night. Still love it. I'm really excited to see where they are going to take the story.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:49 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Saw it for the 3rd time last night. Still love it. I'm really excited to see where they are going to take the story.

Yes! Exactly!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:09 pm
  • The Force Awakens officially became the first movie to gross $900 million domestically yesterday, it's 50th day of release. It's expected to finish between $915m-$920m. Worldwide, it will cross $2 billion sometime today, the first film not directed by James Cameron to reach that mark, and only the 2nd to do it in a single release. It will probably finish at about $2.05b, which will leave it #3 worldwide behind Avatar and Titanic. Domestically, though, it has left both of them in the dust.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=starwars7.htm
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:47 am
  • Rey is not Luke's daughter. She thinks Luke is a myth..she was like 7 when she was left on Jakku... she would have remembered Luke.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:51 am
  • Vetamur wrote:Rey is not Luke's daughter. She thinks Luke is a myth..she was like 7 when she was left on Jakku... she would have remembered Luke.

Unless her memory was tampered with.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:04 am
  • Vetamur wrote:Rey is not Luke's daughter. She thinks Luke is a myth..she was like 7 when she was left on Jakku... she would have remembered Luke.

She doesn't think he's a myth anymore though.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:Rey is not Luke's daughter. She thinks Luke is a myth..she was like 7 when she was left on Jakku... she would have remembered Luke.

Obviously its all just speculation..but I dont think she can be Lukes daughter. Han doesnt remember her..even after picking up her from Jakku and hearing her name.. Leia doesnt "feel" her and calls her "the girl"...

I think Kylo Ren knows who she is..

Shes not Kenobis daughter.. shes meant to be about 20 in the movie and Kenobi died about 35 years before the movie is set.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:16 am
  • My guess is Rey is the daughter of one or two of Luke's students who left her on Jakku when they went to training. Part of the storyline for Ep. VIII will be her learning that Kylo Ren killed her parents and Luke trying to keep her from following her anger to the dark side in revenge.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 pm
  • Vetamur wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:Rey is not Luke's daughter. She thinks Luke is a myth..she was like 7 when she was left on Jakku... she would have remembered Luke.

Obviously its all just speculation..but I dont think she can be Lukes daughter. Han doesnt remember her..even after picking up her from Jakku and hearing her name.. Leia doesnt "feel" her and calls her "the girl"...

I think Kylo Ren knows who she is..

Shes not Kenobis daughter.. shes meant to be about 20 in the movie and Kenobi died about 35 years before the movie is set.

The theory is that she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter. There's some pretty compelling evidence but like everything else it's still just a fan theory. Interesting though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:29 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:My guess is Rey is the daughter of one or two of Luke's students who left her on Jakku when they went to training. Part of the storyline for Ep. VIII will be her learning that Kylo Ren killed her parents and Luke trying to keep her from following her anger to the dark side in revenge.

This seems plausible. I don't know if it's as epic as people would like but it makes sense.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:31 pm
  • Btw seen it 7 times now and I swear I like it more every time.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:30 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:My guess is Rey is the daughter of one or two of Luke's students who left her on Jakku when they went to training. Part of the storyline for Ep. VIII will be her learning that Kylo Ren killed her parents and Luke trying to keep her from following her anger to the dark side in revenge.

This seems plausible. I don't know if it's as epic as people would like but it makes sense.

I personally would greatly prefer that storyline. It avoids the blaring obviousness of "Rey is Luke's daughter", brings possible tension into their relationship, and still lets Rey be a Jedi.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:My guess is Rey is the daughter of one or two of Luke's students who left her on Jakku when they went to training. Part of the storyline for Ep. VIII will be her learning that Kylo Ren killed her parents and Luke trying to keep her from following her anger to the dark side in revenge.

I personally would greatly prefer that storyline. It avoids the blaring obviousness of "Rey is Luke's daughter", brings possible tension into their relationship, and still lets Rey be a Jedi.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if she was Luke's daughter. It would make the theory that she is merely Anakin (chosen one) reborn to fix their mistake more plausible.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:26 pm
  • So after my 9th viewing I've decided that I think Rey's a Palpatine. I have no evidence other than she has a British accent and and she wields a lightsaber in the similar style as old Sheev did (that stab thrust move they do). Maybe she was supposed to go train with Luke but he decided that it was just too risky. Maybe that's why Kylo seems to have an idea who she is, as maybe did Han & Leia. And Luke knows exactly who she is. And how epic would it be that Luke training a descendant of The Emporer and her (maybe with Kylo's help) destroying Snoke (who's somebody of obvious major importance in all this, maybe pulling strings even before Palpatine's reign) and finally actually bringing balance to the force.

Either way, Skywalker, Kenobi, Palpatine, I really think that they're going to go for the full 9 movie story arch. Something we know, or think we know, about the prequels or the OT are going to end up being very important in how this trilogy plays out. That's just my gut feeling. And no, Jar Jar's not a Sith. And yes, Maz Kanata did know Yoda, in some capacity.

Also, I had a vision of Episode 8 showing how Phasma escaped the trash compactor before Starkiller Base was destroyed. Haha I know that's ridiculous but I really think she's going to have a larger roll in the next film.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:So after my 9th viewing I've decided that I think Rey's a Palpatine. I have no evidence other than she has a British accent and and she wields a lightsaber in the similar style as old Sheev did (that stab thrust move they do). Maybe she was supposed to go train with Luke but he decided that it was just too risky. Maybe that's why Kylo seems to have an idea who she is, as maybe did Han & Leia. And Luke knows exactly who she is. And how epic would it be that Luke training a descendant of The Emporer and her (maybe with Kylo's help) destroying Snoke (who's somebody of obvious major importance in all this, maybe pulling strings even before Palpatine's reign) and finally actually bringing balance to the force.

Either way, Skywalker, Kenobi, Palpatine, I really think that they're going to go for the full 9 movie story arch. Something we know, or think we know, about the prequels or the OT are going to end up being very important in how this trilogy plays out. That's just my gut feeling. And no, Jar Jar's not a Sith. And yes, Maz Kanata did know Yoda, in some capacity.

Also, I had a vision of Episode 8 showing how Phasma escaped the trash compactor before Starkiller Base was destroyed. Haha I know that's ridiculous but I really think she's going to have a larger roll in the next film.

Yoda and Maz were banging, obviously. Think about it.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 am
  • I think its pretty well known that Phasma has a more substantial part in the next one.

Rey and the stabbing.. I think there is a concerted effort in the movie to do European broadsword/ medieval times and thats why she gets jabby with the light saber. Kylo Ren is essentially wearing European knight stuff.. his helmet and tunic are very knight-ish, not to mention the broadsword looking lightsaber he has. Maz lives in a castle. Overall, the first movie was heavily Japan..and now they shifted it to stylized Europe.

Im hoping Rey isnt related to anyone but its hard.

Original Star Wars was a space OPERA...so it should all be family intrigue. Which is what Lucas wanted to keep doing. And there is a place for that. but Fans have taken over and are more interested in the Star Wars galaxy..not just the Skywalkers..so..tough call. I wont hate it if she is related to someone because that is in keeping with things..but especially with the more "realistic" tone.. its harder to get away with the whole "the entire galaxy is always in the fate of one family" thing..
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 am

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 pm
  • Zeb, did you read the novelization? I just finished it. It gives a bit more information on some stuff, has the cut scenes people are talking about and even has one point where the author clearly didnt get what they script was trying to say..kind of funny.

To get specific, clearly Kylo Ren knows who Rey is.. he says it quite plainly, "It IS you!".. so we the readers are just left thinking "Who????"

There are a couple of speeder chases..one on Jakku, one on Starkiller Base. They released toys of speeders before the movie and I got them, "for my kid" uhum... and felt weird they werent in the movie. Now it makes more sense.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:14 pm
  • I started it. I want to read it but the writing is so boring and the author so severely did not capture the feeling of the movie. I read the little three short story prequel book, that was actually pretty enjoyable for like a young adult level reading. I'll get through the official novelization eventually but you can definitely tell that dude didn't get to see the movie before he wrote the book. Which is unfortunate. Honestly looking forward to the graphic novel although I've heard no news on a potential release date.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:17 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I started it. I want to read it but the writing is so boring and the author so severely did not capture the feeling of the movie. I read the little three short story prequel book, that was actually pretty enjoyable for like a young adult level reading. I'll get through the official novelization eventually but you can definitely tell that dude didn't get to see the movie before he wrote the book. Which is unfortunate. Honestly looking forward to the graphic novel although I've heard no news on a potential release date.

That's amusing, considering Alan Dean Foster was the first novelist to ever write in the Star Wars universe. He ghostwrote the original Star Wars novelization in 1976 and wrote the first Expanded Universe novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, in 1978, which predates even The Empire Strikes Back.
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:09 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I started it. I want to read it but the writing is so boring and the author so severely did not capture the feeling of the movie. I read the little three short story prequel book, that was actually pretty enjoyable for like a young adult level reading. I'll get through the official novelization eventually but you can definitely tell that dude didn't get to see the movie before he wrote the book. Which is unfortunate. Honestly looking forward to the graphic novel although I've heard no news on a potential release date.

That's amusing, considering Alan Dean Foster was the first novelist to ever write in the Star Wars universe. He ghostwrote the original Star Wars novelization in 1976 and wrote the first Expanded Universe novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, in 1978, which predates even The Empire Strikes Back.

Yeah it sucks. Or maybe I didn't give it a fair shake as I'm only 25% in or so. But jeeeez it's boring. I have been meaning to read Splinter, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:51 am
  • Splinter of the mind's eye is great. Same with Han Solo at Star's end. R E A D T H E M B O Y S
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:18 pm
  • Late to the party, so I'll make it quick. Very happy to see some people as disappointed as I was. J.J. Abrams was in total fanboy mode and it showed.

He had the absolute perfect setup: keys to the greatest sci-fi franchise of all time, the founder sold out, he's gone and the stench of his three past failures was ready to be blown away. He could do ANYTHING he wanted with the franchise, it was a blank slate! Not that I expected Fellini or anything, but it's time to move this franchise forward!

Instead we get a planet sized battle platform with a death ray that has a shield weakness? Really? REALLY?

Great effects, I liked most of the casting (except one--almost there), typical laughs at times by Abrams, good to see beloved characters again. But I expected all that AND a fresh plot, so I am disappointed.

And for the older fans who watched the movie: the last face I expected to see behind the mask of the future baddest azz mutha in all the universe...was Arnold Horshack.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information