Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION
Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:28 am
  • I don't disagree with you guys. I even said I enjoyed the movie. It was fun. It won't stand the test of time for me since it felt like a remake ala Rob Zombie's "Halloween', essentially Abram's take on A New Hope. Why everyone is getting so worked up over my critique is silly. Who cares if someone doesn't agree that the movie is ZOMG FLAWLESS!?!?

There are a handful of movies in my lifetime that I was blown away by and wanted to see multiple times:

A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Terminator 1 and 2
    Aliens
    The Matrix
    Pulp Fiction
    Shawshank Redemption
    Fight Club
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Shining

Again, I liked this movie even though it seems like I didn't. It's just not something that blew me away like these others did. I don't really care if I see it ever again and I will see the rest of the series. Why you guys are taking it so personally I don't know.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    marko358 wrote:
    It was a good popcorn movie to watch but it's definitely nothing I'd go pay to see again.

I think it's safe to say you're in the minority, as evident by ticket sales and people seeing Force Awakens 3-4 times already.

IMO it was just familiar enough, while still having some very exciting spoiler-esque moments.

It's not the best Star Wars movie, but it's right behind Empire Strikes Back and on even ground with New Hope, and if it sets the table for the next two movies like everyone thinks it will? Home run.

Shouldn't this be in the "How Dumb is America" thread?

I like how people think Star Wars needs to be on the level of Citizen Kane to be worthy of their praise.

George Lucas made a simple spaghetti western in space that just so happened to have some deeper themes on good vs. evil that resonated with millions of movie fans. Now we're all adults looking at Force Awakens through our cynical adult eyes, and can't reconcile the fact that recreating childhood magic is impossible, so no new Star Wars movie is going to be good enough.

Here's the fact, it's a good movie. It's got a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and is universally loved by critics and fans. If you don't think that, then like I said you don't get it. That's not an everybody else thing, that's a you thing.

It's a joke.

And no, have never gotten it, and I realize that's a me thing.

But please, defend the Force!
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:09 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:But please, defend the Force!

That's not how the force works!
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:18 pm
  • marko358 wrote:I don't disagree with you guys. I even said I enjoyed the movie. It was fun. It won't stand the test of time for me since it felt like a remake ala Rob Zombie's "Halloween', essentially Abram's take on A New Hope. Why everyone is getting so worked up over my critique is silly. Who cares if someone doesn't agree that the movie is ZOMG FLAWLESS!?!?

There are a handful of movies in my lifetime that I was blown away by and wanted to see multiple times:

A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Terminator 1 and 2
    Aliens
    The Matrix
    Pulp Fiction
    Shawshank Redemption
    Fight Club
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Shining

Again, I liked this movie even though it seems like I didn't. It's just not something that blew me away like these others did. I don't really care if I see it ever again and I will see the rest of the series. Why you guys are taking it so personally I don't know.

Probably cuz of the jar jar avatar.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    But please, defend the Force!

I just did, pay attention.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:20 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Probably cuz of the jar jar avatar.

Wesa got a grand army. That's why you no liking us meesa thinks.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:30 pm
  • marko358 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Probably cuz of the jar jar avatar.

Wesa got a grand army. That's why you no liking us meesa thinks.

Yousa in big doo doo dis time.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:But please, defend the Force!

That's not how the force works!

One of the funnier lines in the movie.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:32 pm
  • Big shout out to Abrams for having a chunky X-Wing pilot, with a beard. An homage to Jek.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:34 pm
  • Also, really want to give kudos to the cinematography. Quite outstanding IMO. The downed Destroyer and snow light saber scenes were impressive.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:41 am
  • marko358 wrote:Also, really want to give kudos to the cinematography. Quite outstanding IMO. The downed Destroyer and snow light saber scenes were impressive.

Abrams went old school cinematography, using real locations, real explosions, real sets, and real backdrops......gave Force Awakens a much richer full scope and vibe.

Maybe Lucas was a victim of the time he made the prequels, every CGI heavy director was leaning hard on the technology at that time, kinda forgetting that yeah you can use CGI and green screens for most of your shots and background characters, but it's still fake, and thus takes the audience out of it.

Restraint with CGI, what it do.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:31 pm
  • Loved it loved it! It was everything I had hoped it would be. It made me feel like a kid again, in a time in my life that I really need that. So many nods to the past, and great new characters for the future. I cannot than JJ Abrams enough for making me feel like it was 1983 again, and I was still a teenager.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 am
  • marko358 wrote:Big shout out to Abrams for having a chunky X-Wing pilot, with a beard. An homage to Jek.

Actually that was Greg Grunberg, Abrams' friend and lucky charm. He's been in most of Abrams' projects - Felicity, Lost, Alias, Star Trek, M:I-3, and this.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:46 am
  • Could Snoke be Luke?

Now it sounds crazy but hear me out...

First off obviously the hologram looks nothing like him, but is it such a stretch of the imagination that Luke could be using a disguise?

When Snoke says about Kylo "bring him to me to complete his training". Who was Kylo training with? Luke, so it only makes sense that Luke could be the only one to complete his training.

When Kylo says something about facing his father, Han, and Snoke says something to the effect of "You have never faced a challenge as great as this (Facing your father in battle)". Who would know the difficulties of facing your father in battle more than Luke?

When Han and Leia are talking about Kylo going to the dark side and how there was too much Vader in him and Leia says "I know, that's why I wanted him to train with Luke". To me it was almost said with the tone that Luke was either indirectly or directly involved with Kylos transformation. Almost like "I know, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to train with Luke, and we were wrong". Also, if there was too much Vader in Kylo then it stands to reason there was too much Vader in Luke too obviously as Luke is a more immediate descendant.

Why would Luke/Snoke send Kylo on a mission to get the map of where Luke is? Misdirection and also because he didn't want the rebellion to find him.

Why would the rebellion want to find him? Obviously because they still thinks he is good and can squash the threat of Snoke.

Could Rey be Luke's daughter? Of course, and maybe his wife was killed suddenly and unexpectedly, and he could feel a shift, and knew the dark side was going to take over so he abandoned her before it could and left her to protect her from himself. It would be the parallel to Darth Vader. Vader saved Luke with his last shred of decency and turned light, and Luke saved Rey with his last shred of decency before turning dark.

To me it would probably be one of the greatest turnabouts in all of cinema, and I don't think the writers/directors/producers have the balls to do it but it would be interesting.

This is an original theory, I haven't seen it written anywhere else.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:01 pm
  • I watched this with a friend who I watched ROTJ with in 1983. I was nearly as excited as I was then, we had both separately watched ROTJ the before night without telling the other one.

At the end of Episode 7 we both came away with the same realisation that we weren't 7 years old anymore. Even though we enjoyed the film it could never reach the heights or have the same lasting impact of 33 years ago.

The film was good but it wasn't amazing, there was little in the way of exposition and I was frustrated at the way you just had to accept what was being spoon fed which incidentally was a redux of A New Hope.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:23 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:I watched this with a friend who I watched ROTJ with in 1983. I was nearly as excited as I was then, we had both separately watched ROTJ the before night without telling the other one.

At the end of Episode 7 we both came away with the same realisation that we weren't 7 years old anymore. Even though we enjoyed the film it could never reach the heights or have the same lasting impact of 33 years ago.

The film was good but it wasn't amazing, there was little in the way of exposition and I was frustrated at the way you just had to accept what was being spoon fed which incidentally was a redux of A New Hope.

Maybe this^^^ is what I was feeling too. A redux. That may be the reason I left early. Probably missed the last 5 or 10 mins of actual movie...not including the credits. I was 21 when ROTJ came out.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:56 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    marko358 wrote:‘The Force Awakens’ Is the Least Interesting Star Wars Yet
    I’m not exactly delighted to be adding another branch to the Star Wars take tree. But the reviews are so effusive, success so roundly declared, I can’t help it. Because we’ve been played. We’ve been served up a pretty unoriginal reboot that adds few, if any, new ideas to our greatest commercial mythology. It’s the latest and maybe largest sign of a drift towards big screen sci-fi monoculture. And we’re lapping it up.

Clearly, Force Awakens is far from the worst Star Wars movie, but it might actually be the least interesting. In some ways, the triumph of this, Star Wars 2.0—and its predictable, nostalgia-reliant, repackaged thrills—is a defeat for what made the trilogy extraordinary in the first place—its madcap sci-fi originality and genre-bending experimentation.

Force Awakens is the most derivative Star War; as some commenters have pointed out, it’s almost a scene-by-scene remake of A New Hope. At first that’s a huge relief (no prequel-scale disaster in sight) and exciting, even. We watch imperial troops from a galactic empire pursue a robot with stolen plans across a desert planet and into the care of a young loner with mysterious powers who was then aided by a wisecracking smuggler and his space ape in a seedy interstellar tavern where cheerful aliens play catchy orbital music, and we all grin wide.

But by the time the Rebellion/Resistance is blowing up the third incarnation of the Death Star in almost as many films, doesn’t the Force seem to be contracting a bit? We’ve been here so, so many times. And that’s to say nothing of the host of callbacks to past plot points, cameos from beloved characters from the original films, and the familiar John Williams crescendos.

Ultimately, Force Awakens is more a product of the same market logic that gave rise to the Marvel Universe films—a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative—than it is of the imagination that launched the series nearly four decades ago.

Another writer who doesn't get it.

It's like they think Abrams and his writers are stupid, it's on PURPOSE idiots. This is what the fans wanted, to revisit their old friends, to get the bad taste of the Lucas prequels out of our mouths.............Abrams understood what Lucas couldn't, that he had to go back before going forward.

THAT'S why the reviews are "effusive." Force Awakens is exactly what Star Wars needed, an incorporation of the old while getting us excited about the new. To pay homage and respect.

If Abrams just came out with an all new story (which he is more than capable of doing) with all new characters and no Han, no Leia, no Luke, no Chewy, etc.........then Force Awakens would have felt every bit as hollow and wrong as the prequels did.

So you're defending lazy writing and calling those of us who are sick of the same hackneyed tropes and regurgitated plots "idiots". Interesting. In your elevated opinion a super duper death star is justified because it worked in Episodes IV and VI? You're okay with the same denouement in 3 of the last 4 episodes? Wheres the suspense? What are the stakes? We know the empire NEVER LEARNS and will blunder their defenses AGAIN. It's absurd.

I guess it's simply impossible to invent a new narrative that could be compelling in the Star Wars Universe, which should be renamed the Star Wars Fishbowl since it evidently lacks the capacity for even minor changes.

TFA was almost exactly ANH. The franchise is not breaking any new ground. There are just new actors playing old roles. It's a remake.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:05 pm
  • There were some obvious broad similarities between TFA and ANH, and the OT overall, really. But there was also many differences, both subtle and obvious. There was an overwhelming plea from the fans to "make it feel like the old ones". You're not gonna do that by turning Han Solo into a divorce lawyer and having a giant porpoise for the villain.

It isn't ground-breaking but it didn't need to be. We didn't want it to be. And it's only the first chapter in a 3 movie story arch and, unlike ANH, that's exactly what it was meant to be from the start. So there's plenty of room for different and ground-breaking, although I think if you're expecting ground-breaking you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:38 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:There were some obvious broad similarities between TFA and ANH, and the OT overall, really. But there was also many differences, both subtle and obvious. There was an overwhelming plea from the fans to "make it feel like the old ones". You're not gonna do that by turning Han Solo into a divorce lawyer and having a giant porpoise for the villain.

It isn't ground-breaking but it didn't need to be. We didn't want it to be. And it's only the first chapter in a 3 movie story arch and, unlike ANH, that's exactly what it was meant to be from the start. So there's plenty of room for different and ground-breaking, although I think if you're expecting ground-breaking you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just saw it and came away feeling the same way. I enjoyed it. It was a great homage to the one we all loved as kids. The plot line is similar enough as well, with some mysteries to push along an easy to follow story.

It was well done. Simple (even back to puppets and models).
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:01 am
  • I think Rey was at the Jedi academy when it was attacked, and has had her training suppressed somehow. Not sure how or in what way, but she knows how to do things that an untrained person just wouldn't, regardless of how force sensitive.
    Phteven
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:30 am
  • Phteven wrote:I think Rey was at the Jedi academy when it was attacked, and has had her training suppressed somehow. Not sure how or in what way, but she knows how to do things that an untrained person just wouldn't, regardless of how force sensitive.

More likely it's just a plot hole. Wouldn't be the first time for Abrams.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am
  • Dude, c'mon.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:52 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Phteven wrote:I think Rey was at the Jedi academy when it was attacked, and has had her training suppressed somehow. Not sure how or in what way, but she knows how to do things that an untrained person just wouldn't, regardless of how force sensitive.

More likely it's just a plot hole. Wouldn't be the first time for Abrams.

I don't consider that a plot hole. It's just one of those things we're expected to accept based on the world that the story takes place in. She learns that she is able to control the force and as the time goes by (albeit quite quickly) she gets better at it. It's actually mentioned by Kylo Ren in a line after she escapes inside Starkiller Base, something along the lines of her getting stronger by the moment. And we see her test her powers, fail, and then succeed. More than once.

It's similar to how she can understand BB-8 without a translator right off the bat. It kind of bothered me at first but apparently we're just expected to accept that at some point while she was growing up she learned how to speak, or at least understand, the language of Binary, the basic language commonly spoken by droids.

We don't really know her back story. So maybe she has had more training than we know, obviously she was able to fight off the 2 dudes that were trying to steal BB-8 from her without much challenge. And maybe she does speak Binary. Maybe she is a Skywalker. Or a Solo. Or a Kenobi. Who knows. Looking forward to finding out though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:07 am
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 am
  • I kinda like the Kenobi theory. Kinda. I just don't understand why they'd hide it from us. They didn't really try to hide the Ben Solo thing all that much, so why the big secret about Rey? We'll see.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:34 am
  • Another theory.

Might make sense for those into gaming.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens raised a lot of questions that it didn't answer. Scriptwriter Lawrence Kasdan recently said that there's a story to be told; the mysteries about each hero will eventually unfold in the Episodes VIII and IX. We still don't know who Rey's parents are, or how and why she ended up in Jakku.

But a playthough of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Disney Infinity videogame might have revealed Rey's true identity.

If you really want to know who Rey is, read on...

AngryJoeShow shared a video today that was deleted probably because Disney reached out to him after pointing out this huge revelation from around the 20:30 mark at the walkthrough video from packattack04082 above. At this point, you can hear Kylo Ren tell Rey, "Face me, cousin!"

Although it may come to a suprise to some (since J.J. Abrams' film didn't reveal their familial relationship), many speculated that she is the daughter of Luke Skywalker, who is indeed Kylo Ren's uncle (Ren or Ben Solo, in The Force Awakens, is revealed to have been the son of Han Solo and Leia Organa, Luke's sister )It was hinted in The Force Awakens, with several context clues and even a line of dialogue that the lightsaber owned by Lightsaber "and his father before him" was "calling out" to Rey. Kylo Ren's line in the game seems to confirm this theory.

It's unlikely that Disney will make an official response about this, but keep in mind that this videogame is an officially-licensed videogame from Disney, so its content is considered canon.

While it's possible enough that the developers of Disney Infinity are operating off an educating guess or that something got mixed up in translation, it seems unlikely. A huge part of the game's appeal was that the creators had broad access to a variety of material to help make the characters in the world of Disney Infinity fit as flawlessly as possible into their source material.

So there, you have it: Rey is Luke's daughter, but until that's officially confirmed in Episode VIII, there's still a possibility that she could be someone else's daughter.

So do you think Rey is really Luke's daughter?

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:55 am
  • Turns out he didn't say "cousin". He said "face me!" and then was hit with an attack and said "curses!" it just happened quick enough that there was some confusion for people looking for something that wasn't really there. Not that that confirms or doesn't that she is or isn't related to Luke or somebody else, it's just not the accidental spoiler some thought it to be.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:36 am
  • Rey using the Force and using it well isnt a plot hole. Almost certainly it will be explained. I think, whoever she turns out to be, shes very Force powerful. Its worth noting she only uses skills once Kylo Ren uses them, and those are the only one she uses, other than potentially the flying of the Falcon but its well established that non trained, Force sensitive pilots use the Force already (Luke, Anakin). Rey simply does Judo Force when Ren invades her mind.. then when told she was already using the Force by Ren, took advantage of it.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:37 am
  • Thunderhawk wrote:
    So you're defending lazy writing and calling those of us who are sick of the same hackneyed tropes and regurgitated plots "idiots". Interesting. In your elevated opinion a super duper death star is justified because it worked in Episodes IV and VI? You're okay with the same denouement in 3 of the last 4 episodes? Wheres the suspense? What are the stakes? We know the empire NEVER LEARNS and will blunder their defenses AGAIN. It's absurd.

I guess it's simply impossible to invent a new narrative that could be compelling in the Star Wars Universe, which should be renamed the Star Wars Fishbowl since it evidently lacks the capacity for even minor changes.

TFA was almost exactly ANH. The franchise is not breaking any new ground. There are just new actors playing old roles. It's a remake.

Force Awakens was a reboot of sorts, an homage to A New Hope.

Do you honestly think Abrams, his writers and the bajillions of dollars of Disney money couldn't come up with a fresh new Star Wars screenplay?

IT...........................WAS............................ON...........................PURPOSE.

Critics can certainly say they didn't like that, but to say "omg it was all the same" like Abrams didn't know he was telling almost the same exact story is just dumb.

Now that he's tied in the old AND new generation of fans with one homage to what we all loved about Star Wars with the mix of old and new characters, he WILL move forward with the changes you're talking about. Like I said, Force Awakens was 50% homage, and 50% table setting..........and it was deftly done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:36 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:

Force Awakens was a reboot of sorts, an homage to A New Hope.

Do you honestly think Abrams, his writers and the bajillions of dollars of Disney money couldn't come up with a fresh new Star Wars screenplay?

IT...........................WAS............................ON...........................PURPOSE.

Critics can certainly say they didn't like that, but to say "omg it was all the same" like Abrams didn't know he was telling almost the same exact story is just dumb.

Now that he's tied in the old AND new generation of fans with one homage to what we all loved about Star Wars with the mix of old and new characters, he WILL move forward with the changes you're talking about. Like I said, Force Awakens was 50% homage, and 50% table setting..........and it was deftly done.

I agree that it was intentional and that's what upsets me. You think that shows deference to the fans and I think it displays contempt for the fans. You're not offended by the low regard Abrams and Kasdan have for our intelligence? That they think us incapable of spotting all the copy and pasting they did from the OT? Why couldn't there be homages to the original AND a new plot? It isn't mutually exclusive.

Despite my gripes, I really liked the new cast. Rey and Finn are great, although their relationship seemed a bit rushed. Abrams is really gifted at directing interplay between his actors. Harrison Ford did his best work in years. The sets looked lived in and authentic. Too bad so much excellence was in service to such a lousy screenplay.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:55 am
  • Thunderhawk wrote:I agree that it was intentional and that's what upsets me. You think that shows deference to the fans and I think it displays contempt for the fans. You're not offended by the low regard Abrams and Kasdan have for our intelligence? That they think us incapable of spotting all the copy and pasting they did from the OT? Why couldn't there be homages to the original AND a new plot? It isn't mutually exclusive.

Despite my gripes, I really liked the new cast. Rey and Finn are great, although their relationship seemed a bit rushed. Abrams is really gifted at directing interplay between his actors. Harrison Ford did his best work in years. The sets looked lived in and authentic. Too bad so much excellence was in service to such a lousy screenplay.

There's already buzz that the screenplay might get an Oscar nod, so again as with your other criticisms, you're in the minority.

I think Force Awakens is EXACTLY what most Star Wars fans needed after being mentally and emotionally assaulted by Lucas's prequels..............we got to go back and relive our love for Star Wars, while keeping the story just fresh enough to feel different.

Could Abrams have reconciled all this with a brand new screenplay integrating the old characters? Idk, maybe. But maybe not, might have felt super forced seeing all the old characters in a new story that really had not a lot to do with them..........like with Spock and Into Darkness. Everyone was like "well, I guess it was cool to see Spock, but didn't really make sense and felt forced."
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:06 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:There's already buzz that the screenplay might get an Oscar nod

As Mr Wolf famously stated "Let's not start sucking each other's ****** just yet."
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:I agree that it was intentional and that's what upsets me. You think that shows deference to the fans and I think it displays contempt for the fans. You're not offended by the low regard Abrams and Kasdan have for our intelligence? That they think us incapable of spotting all the copy and pasting they did from the OT? Why couldn't there be homages to the original AND a new plot? It isn't mutually exclusive.

There's already buzz that the screenplay might get an Oscar nod, so again as with your other criticisms, you're in the minority.

I think Force Awakens is EXACTLY what most Star Wars fans needed after being mentally and emotionally assaulted by Lucas's prequels..............we got to go back and relive our love for Star Wars, while keeping the story just fresh enough to feel different.

Could Abrams have reconciled all this with a brand new screenplay integrating the old characters? Idk, maybe. But maybe not, might have felt super forced seeing all the old characters in a new story that really had not a lot to do with them..........like with Spock and Into Darkness. Everyone was like "well, I guess it was cool to see Spock, but didn't really make sense and felt forced."

I liked the movie, but using an Oscar nod to validate any argument is dumb. Oscars are gash. Have been for a long time.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:02 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:I agree that it was intentional and that's what upsets me. You think that shows deference to the fans and I think it displays contempt for the fans. You're not offended by the low regard Abrams and Kasdan have for our intelligence? That they think us incapable of spotting all the copy and pasting they did from the OT? Why couldn't there be homages to the original AND a new plot? It isn't mutually exclusive.

I liked the movie, but using an Oscar nod to validate any argument is dumb. Oscars are gash. Have been for a long time.

I don't know what "gash" means. But while the Oscars aren't the end all be all to legitimacy, they're the closest thing the film industry has to say "this is good".............or "this wasn't good."

So to say the screenplay wasn't good is a false statement if indeed the industry, it's members and critics say otherwise.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:05 pm
  • Let's fly into the death star and blow it up.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:30 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Let's fly into the death star and blow it up.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The next film will have a very unique type of Death Star. It will also have one vulnerability though.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:37 am
  • Empires borrow the strategies and tools of the empires before them and try to build off them, so I thought it was only natural that the First Order would be just like the Empire. I thought it made sense that they would try to create their own Death Star. I thought it was realistic that there were similarities and that they were just building on the same ideas from New Hope.

I get that people want to see something "new" and "fresh" in movies, but when I look at Star Wars as a whole, the similarities between New Hope and Force Awakens are probably what would really happen, so it doesn't bother me at all. It makes sense in the context of that universe. I'm excited to see where they take it next because I'm sure there will be some great stories and twists to come based off this foundation.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:55 pm
  • Going to see it tomorrow and will not read a word of this until I do.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Rey is Kylo's twin sister.

Not possible. Per Pablo Hidalgo, Creative Executive for Lucasfilm Story Group and author of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, Ben Solo(aka Kylo Ren) is 29-30 years old and Rey is only 19.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:36 pm
  • I honestly think we will find out that Vader had other offspring that he didn't know about (are we really expected to believe that the second in command of the Empire was celibate after Padme's death?) or had hidden from Palpatine knowing that he could eventually overthrow Palpatine with their help. Leading to Rey being his granddaughter from an entirely different family than Luke or Leia.

For the people who are perturbed by the lack of new material in this, I'd ask when was the last time any movie had a truly new idea for their plot? In regards to Sci-Fi, it has all been done.

My questions:
    How did some random stormtrooper recognize Finn as a traitor? I can understand Kylo Ren recognizing him, but is it his division that tries to take Maz's place? If it is than where is Captain Phasma during the ground assault?

If the Starkiller weapon is a super-hyperspace weapon how did the First Order arrive within five minutes of the destruction of the Republic when they are shown watching the weapon being fired?

If the Starkiller weapon is destroying suns, there would be serious repercussions to each world that is close to them just from losing the magnetic pull from the sun. If they are all about order, they wouldn't be wiping out entire solar systems just to destroy a few planets.

This is the one that irked me the most: Why would Leia hug Rey instead of hugging Chewie after they get out of the Falcon? She felt Han's death, she knows that Chewie would be a mess after losing his best friend. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Luke used the Force to activate R2 remotely, but then what was he waiting for? Was he waiting for the emergence of someone who would have no problem killing Kylo Ren since I am sure that his reason for not confronting him is that he can't kill his own nephew as he couldn't kill his own father. Was he waiting for Han's death signifying that Kylo had finally crossed the line completely and can never be redeemed now that he has killed his father (a line Luke could not cross)?
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:37 pm
  • Just got back from seeing it in XD..3-D and man was that a killer good movie.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:16 pm
  • Just saw it today. LOVED it! Fantastic all around. Loved the newcommers, the script, the action, the much-loved original cast and so on. Still trying to figure out how to build and fly a real X-Wing. :)

RIP Han, looking forward to VIII.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:31 am
  • I thought it was a great movie. My girl who hasn't seen any of the other Star Wars films was able to watch it with little knowledge of the characters. And she can't wait to watch the next one. Either can I.

May the force be with you.
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:09 pm
  • I don't think there is any possibility of a connection with Obi Wan.. His death kind of makes it hard for him to father a child, and if he were to have had a quicky before his encounter with Darth Vader, I'm pretty sure Rey would be much older than Ren. Also being the daughter of Anakin/Darth Vader would be impossible in the same way. A connection with Han and Leia is also unlikely as they showed no real familiarity with her other than that of their onscreen impressions. I think the only real option left would be as an offspring of Luke's. She has only vague memories of being left on Jakku by a male figure. She may have been only 3 to 5 years old. At about 13-15 years old, I can imagine Ren was in the prime of his training and may have destroyed Luke's temple, forcing Luke to exile himself and hide his child to keep her safe... Seems the only logical "offspring" scenario to me.
    HHawk121
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 pm
  • Rey and the Falcon being on the same planet isn't a coincidence right? They have to be related in some way... I'm sure we'll find out in the next movie when her background is finally revealed.

But yea loved the movie, can't wait to go back and see it a 2nd time!!! :thirishdrinkers:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:47 pm
  • Just got back and liked it as well...more for the nostalgia factor but we will see how this goes moving fwd...Only thing I really did not like is how Ren looked like a bitch in the last fight with Rey who has zero jedi training whatsoever, just powers she does not fully know how to use. Also, a bit of an extent to Fin as well who is just some random clone dude...Ren lost a lot of credibility as a character imo after coming off so bad ass in the first part of the movie.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:09 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Just got back and liked it as well...more for the nostalgia factor but we will see how this goes moving fwd...Only thing I really did not like is how Ren looked like a bitch in the last fight with Rey who has zero jedi training whatsoever, just powers she does not fully know how to use. Also, a bit of an extent to Fin as well who is just some random clone dude...Ren lost a lot of credibility as a character imo after coming off so bad ass in the first part of the movie.

He's more talk than walk at this point, it would seem.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:02 am
  • I feel that maybe Kylo Ren getting bested by Rey had more to do with his getting emotional and losing focus, thus not being able to use his force powers effectively, otherwise I feel it is a pretty nasty plot hole...
    HHawk121
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:08 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Just got back and liked it as well...more for the nostalgia factor but we will see how this goes moving fwd...Only thing I really did not like is how Ren looked like a bitch in the last fight with Rey who has zero jedi training whatsoever, just powers she does not fully know how to use. Also, a bit of an extent to Fin as well who is just some random clone dude...Ren lost a lot of credibility as a character imo after coming off so bad ass in the first part of the movie.

Circumstances. Ren was severely limited in his movement from being shot in the abdomen just above the hip from a weapon that has been just destroying people throughout the series. Ren was probably using the Force to keep himself from bleeding out, thus not using it during the fight and why he wasn't able to assume control of the lightsaber when Rey called it to her at the same time. Ren was not trying to kill Rey, but trying to recruit her and bring her back to Snoke.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:10 pm
  • maybe...guessing if Ren was summonsed back to Snoke to finish his training he should be more bad ass in the second one. So is Fin the new Han Solo? or is it the other pilot guy?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information